• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Incredibly Wandering Thread V3 ⊂(◉‿◉)つ

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years
Uhhh I don't think I've ever played a hack in my life, lol.

There's no better time than the present to start :P

Yeah, this has been in ROM Hacking long enough so its over to our little bro, Game Dev!

Unknown#

'Cause why not?
Years
Cool, this thread is in game development now! So, to start off the discussion, I was working on a project of mine, finally got a lot of it to work properly, and then realized that I had about 300 sprites to resize. Oh well, at least I've already fixed about half of them.

DarkDoom3000

Super Pokemon Eevee Edition
Years
ah, welcome back, increadibly wandering thread.

>enjoy your stay, and make sure you don't call any games in this section hacks :P

Years
  • Seen Apr 28, 2013
Originally Posted by Unknown#
I was working on a project of mine, finally got a lot of it to work properly, and then realized that I had about 300 sprites to resize. Oh well, at least I've already fixed about half of them.

Ha i know what you mean, Im just in the middle of resizing a hole lot of tiles for my game myself. The main thing im doing, is resizing everything so my hero sprite can fit through doors proply. Then relizing the doors look horible compered to the buildings, so i then decided to resize the buildings aswell.

Pharetra

zzzz
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 23, 2021
To answer the question of both of you, use Photoshop's Batch Processing feature. I have resized over 5000 sprites this way. Didn't cost too many time since it ran in the background on a PC with a SSD and a Core i5-2300. If you need any help regarding that, feel free to send me a PM.

Years
  • Seen Apr 5, 2016
To answer the question of both of you, use Photoshop's Batch Processing feature. I have resized over 5000 sprites this way. Didn't cost too many time since it ran in the background on a PC with a SSD and a Core i5-2300. If you need any help regarding that, feel free to send me a PM.

There are other tools out there that do the same thing, and you don't have to fork out the cash for photoshop! XD

Anyway I would definitely like to see a bigger tutorial section involving rmxp, and not just for the pokemon essentials section. Some people have awesome ideas that could be implemented into essentials, or any other game, but they have no idea how to go about doing it XD

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
So I've been hacking for 2 years now and

But yeah, I did write a guide which you can find in the Tutorials & Resource section. Though it's just for beginning really, so I'm considering expanding it and also writing up an intermediate tutorial.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
Hi IWT, I've found you again. And it's so good to have my opinion - that hacks and games are exactly the same - validated on such a large scale! Oh, wait...

In all seriousness, I'm looking forward to Pokemon: Phoenix Rising. It certainly looks very good, and while my knowledge of fan-made games is even less than that of hacks, I can guarantee I'll end up playing it when it all comes to fruition.

Years
  • Seen Apr 5, 2016
Hi IWT, I've found you again. And it's so good to have my opinion - that hacks and games are exactly the same - validated on such a large scale! Oh, wait...

In all seriousness, I'm looking forward to Pokemon: Phoenix Rising. It certainly looks very good, and while my knowledge of fan-made games is even less than that of hacks, I can guarantee I'll end up playing it when it all comes to fruition.

Quite honestly rom hacking and game dev are really 2 totally different things. Rom hacking involves the person taking an already existing game making modifications to text maps and otherwise of a rom, and are usually limited by the rom its self to how good it can look, how many maps it can have, etc. Game development on the other hand its far more in depth because people can start from scratch and build a game if they want to and have the skills. While that's all good and said people can use kits like pokemon essentials or some of its branch versions to make the development process easier, but that's not to say it is easy.

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
  • Seen today
Quite honestly rom hacking and game dev are really 2 totally different things. Rom hacking involves the person taking an already existing game making modifications to text maps and otherwise of a rom, and are usually limited by the rom its self to how good it can look, how many maps it can have, etc. Game development on the other hand its far more in depth because people can start from scratch and build a game if they want to and have the skills. While that's all good and said people can use kits like pokemon essentials or some of its branch versions to make the development process easier, but that's not to say it is easy.
Yes. The game dev is more flexible to change some features, and even remake the entire battle system (if you have the skills). If people have sprites and data, is possible to make a game with 3000 pokémon!! This makes me thinks about a random pokémon generator XD

On the other hand, so far nobody successfully recreates all the extra things in official games like the Contests, and games made with RPG Maker are only for Windows

By the way, making a game with Shadow Pokémon, for example, it's easy with the Pokémon Essentials Kit.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
The internet is a very bad place for sarcasm and irony.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
Wow this thread is still going, I'm in a state of shock! Where has it been all this time?!

Well, it's in Other Chat again so I guess it's time to turn it back into DCC 2.0 :P

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
nono, it's in Celebrations to we must Celebrate that is is not yet dead despite wherever it was before this

Back