• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Research: [GENERAL THREAD] Pokémon Heart Gold/Soul Silver Hacking

Panschop19

Gimme da pasta
Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Dec 8, 2009
Okay I made a new thread about this but whatever. I used PokeDSPic to edit the Pokemon sprites, however...when I replaced Chikorita's sprite it said the file wasn't 8bpp indexed and probably wouldn't work. How do I save a file in said format? I've tried googling it with no results.

have you tried reading the tutorials? i'm pretty sure that there's a way to fix that using the guide included in one of the posts.

Kurosaki Ichigo

Flannery's #1 Obsessor
Years
have you tried reading the tutorials? i'm pretty sure that there's a way to fix that using the guide included in one of the posts.
If you can link me to said tutorial then I will. The only tutorial I saw was for D/P/Plt and it was about colour editing not completely replacing the image with a different image altogether.

Kurosaki Ichigo

Flannery's #1 Obsessor
Years
But will it be "indexed"?

EDIT: Ergh, it still showed Chikorita in game...oh well. I give up.

Last edited:

Alpha de Splash

DPPtHGSS Researcher
Years
Okay I made a new thread about this but whatever. I used PokeDSPic to edit the Pokemon sprites, however...when I replaced Chikorita's sprite it said the file wasn't 8bpp indexed and probably wouldn't work. How do I save a file in said format? I've tried googling it with no results.
Well 8BPP is the native GIF format, so if your really having issues, just save it as a .GIF file then reopen it separately and save as a .PNG.
I'm pretty sure that should work, though I'm very limited, as my PokeDSPic doesn't work (Its just my computer)

Years
  • Seen Mar 16, 2010
i think that when hg/ss hacking progresses, someone should definitely do a "remake" of fr/lg the same way zel made shiny gold from fire red.

anyone with me?

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Aug 20, 2020
With the maps already being there, all you needed to do is script.

And a lot of your scripting is basically done with Johto. A combination of HGSS and FRLG would be fun, though. Johto would be empty space, though as the game is 121MB if you trim it.

Poryhack

March 14th
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 5, 2010
How about a hack with some originality? The last thing I want to see is umpteen remakes of a remake. It's just plain stupid.

Superkid11

Covered in Shroomish
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Mar 2, 2016
How about a hack with some originality? The last thing I want to see is umpteen remakes of a remake. It's just plain stupid.
Maybe if making original hacks of any 4th generation game was feasible at this point.

Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2015
I need help converting my modded logo of the game into the games picture format (.rgcn) so I can put it in the game

RCGN files are also the same as NCGR files

Last edited:

Poryhack

March 14th
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 5, 2010
Maybe if making original hacks of any 4th generation game was feasible at this point.
Nothing is feasible at this point if you're relying on other people to make tools for you.

How come no one notices my posts?
We're doing our best to ignore them because they are not relevant to the topic. This is for HGSS findings. Questions are not findings, therefore they don't belong here.

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Aug 20, 2020

It's feasible, but to create a new map (entirely) you'd take up a long time. Longer in the case of HGSS. By that, I mean 4 months to switch 1 house with a proper PokeCenter and not killing the game.

SCV

DPP Game Researcher
Years
It's feasible, but to create a new map (entirely) you'd take up a long time. Longer in the case of HGSS. By that, I mean 4 months to switch 1 house with a proper PokeCenter and not killing the game.
What is a proper PokeCenter? As far as I know it takes 1 minute switch a house with a pokecenter (Or less if you have practice).

MsBroccoli

MsBroccoli
Years
Nothing is feasible at this point if you're relying on other people to make tools for you.

We're doing our best to ignore them because they are not relevant to the topic. This is for HGSS findings. Questions are not findings, therefore they don't belong here.

If they are questions relating to the topic, they can be posted here.

Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2015

No.. The thread is clearly named "Pokemon Heart Gold/Soul Silver HACKING. And wanting to change out the logo is clearly Hacking.

Back