• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Apr 10, 2024
I'm making a hack, but I have a big problem. I have done a few things and I was trying some things out in the game. But when I want to the start menu (the menu with pokédex, pokemon, bag, save etc.) the whole game freeze.... How can I fix this?

Unless we know exactly what you did and what you edited with exact offsets, there is no chance of fixing it, and even if we did, the most common piece of advice is either to restart or find a backup that has a working start menu. Sorry.

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
Years
Okay, that leads me to this:
Alright I found it. The names for the rivals and other stuff are stored at '0x5E821B'. Each name is separated by an '0xFF' byte so if your new name is shorter than the previous name, then all you have to do is fill the bytes of the previous name that you didn't use with '0xFF'. However, if your new name is longer (and it most likely will be if you're replacing May's name) then you will have to repoint the text. The pointer to Brendan's name can be found at '0x009090' and May's at '0x00909C'. I don't know where the pointers to the other texts (e.g. Team names, game names, team leader names, etc.) are but they shouldn't be too hard to locate.
Oh yeah and this is all for Emerald, by the way.
Well, I am a complete amateur at hacking. What program would I use to do this (Hex editing, right)? and maybe a little starter tutorial link? TIA!

hinkage

Everyone currently in an argument with this member
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen yesterday
Out of curiousity, how do the trainer stars work in-game? Is it a flag that's set, or a variable, or is it a built-in function? I'm hacking Firered, btw.

It's a flag.

I believe that's what the settrainerflag and cleartrainerflag script commands are for. (I've never used them, though).

redriders180

Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed
Years
It's a flag.

I believe that's what the settrainerflag and cleartrainerflag script commands are for. (I've never used them, though).

I was talking about the trainer stars, the stars that appear on your trainer card if you complete certain events, like completing the Pokedex or getting into the Hall of Fame.

hinkage

Everyone currently in an argument with this member
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen yesterday
I was talking about the trainer stars, the stars that appear on your trainer card if you complete certain events, like completing the Pokedex or getting into the Hall of Fame.

Also flags. Logically, it makes sense: if Badges (aka achievements) are flags, Trainer Card stars (also achievements) would also be flags.

But, I don't know what number they are.

redriders180

Years
Also flags. Logically, it makes sense: if Badges (aka achievements) are flags, Trainer Card stars (also achievements) would also be flags.

But, I don't know what number they are.

But then again, you can obtain the stars in any order, which led me to believe that its a variable. If anyone does know the flags or variables, though, I'd be grateful if they told me.

Truality

Left for good
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen May 17, 2013
But then again, you can obtain the stars in any order, which led me to believe that its a variable. If anyone does know the flags or variables, though, I'd be grateful if they told me.
It's neither a flag nor a variable; it's a special. Well to be exact, a special2, which associates with a common variable and returns a value.

Specifically, special2 LASTRESULT 0xA3 checks the Trainer Card achievements-its color and number of stars; placing the achievement number from 0 to 7 in 0x8004 (LASTRESULT), you get a number in return. If it's 0, the achievement is incomplete. If 1, it's completed. I still don't know which variable is which, though.

So in script form, it should be like this:
Code:
#org @start
special2 LASTRESULT 0xA3
compare LASTRESULT 0xZ (Z is the number from 0 to 7)
if 0x1 goto @achievementcomplete
end
You should thank JPAN for this.

Has anybody developed ASM code to disregard the female character? I would very much like to get in on that.
I don't think so, I've been searching for that as well, and to no avail so far. (somebody PLEASE, prove me wrong)

It's tile related, but the rectangle itself is a sprite. The behavior byte is $28 $00, Hero halfway underwater.

Edit: I know it's a sprite because it shows up in VBA's OAM viewer, which shows all the sprites currently on the screen.
I want to do a research about this sometime soon, as it's an interesting bit. I'll notify you with a VM if I get any results.

redriders180

Years
It's neither a flag nor a variable; it's a special. Well to be exact, a special2, which associates with a common variable and returns a value.

Specifically, special2 LASTRESULT 0xA3 checks the Trainer Card achievements-its color and number of stars; placing the achievement number from 0 to 7 in 0x8004 (LASTRESULT), you get a number in return. If it's 0, the achievement is incomplete. If 1, it's completed. I still don't know which variable is which, though.

So in script form, it should be like this:
Code:
#org @start
special2 LASTRESULT 0xA3
compare LASTRESULT 0xZ (Z is the number from 0 to 7)
if 0x1 goto @achievementcomplete
end
You should thank JPAN for this.

This seems useful for checking to see if you have a certain number of stars, but how would you give the player a star? I want to change what events give out a star in my game, and can't figure out how to accomplish this.

Truality

Left for good
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen May 17, 2013
This seems useful for checking to see if you have a certain number of stars, but how would you give the player a star? I want to change what events give out a star in my game, and can't figure out how to accomplish this.
I don't know, it would probably require ASM/some built-in researh to tamper with that kind of data, as the conditions for making a star appear in your trainer card are pre-defined, much like anything that happens in a 'special' command.

Years
  • Seen May 15, 2012
I actually have a few questions,

1. Is there a way that I can make it so that they need a Specific number code to start a new game? Like to extend the story to another ROM, and you would get the number code after you finish the first ROM.

2. Is there a way to make one Rom Transfer Trainer data and Party to Another Rom? Transfer old party from 1st Rom (first part of game) to 2nd Rom (second part of game.)

Thanks in advance!

redriders180

Years
How do I fix this? Player goes under a tile for some reason.

It's a very simple fix. First, open up A-map, and open up the block editor. Then, click on the block that you're going under. After you do that, go to "background byte" and click the dropdown, and select "block is covered by hero". Save, and exit the block editor, and it should work :)

I actually have a few questions,

1. Is there a way that I can make it so that they need a Specific number code to start a new game? Like to extend the story to another ROM, and you would get the number code after you finish the first ROM.

2. Is there a way to make one Rom Transfer Trainer data and Party to Another Rom? Transfer old party from 1st Rom (first part of game) to 2nd Rom (second part of game.)

Thanks in advance!

I don't know about linking two games, but if your rom is so large it needs two, why don't you expand the rom? You can expand it up to double the size, and still use most programs. Of course, if you've already done that, then you must have ALOT of stuff in your rom...

Last edited:

redriders180

Years
What program do you use to edit the main trainer sprite? (I mean the one that you walk around with)

Try either Nameless Sprite Editor or Overworld Editor Rebirth Edition, the former can be downloaded here while the latter can be found here. I perfer Nameless Sprite Editor, because it can edit basically any image in their rom, but it's your choice

Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2021
Does anyone know a good tutorial for inserting battle bases and backgrounds? Thanks. :D

Years
  • Seen Dec 30, 2012
Try either Nameless Sprite Editor or Overworld Editor Rebirth Edition, the former can be downloaded here while the latter can be found here. I perfer Nameless Sprite Editor, because it can edit basically any image in their rom, but it's your choice

Thanks. :)

Has anyone told you that you're awesome today?

Because you're awesome. XD

AustinWolff

has left
Years
hey, I was wondering if there is a way in a script to take pokemon away from the PC.

Also, is there a way to make an event where you can't continue unless you have certain pokemon caught in the wild?

Years
  • Seen Dec 30, 2012
Is there a way to change the gym badges to the right color?

I've got my new gym badges in the right shapes but their colors are messed up even though I said to export the pallet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back