• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Quick Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Jun 6, 2011

Merged with Simple Questions. I know the Japanese versions can trade with the English versions, butttt not too sure about the top one, so leaving that for someone else to answer.

ah okay, thank you! if they can interact between DSs my hopes are high

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
So I will be living in Japan for another few months before moving back to the UK, but after a nostalgia trip I want to play pokemon again. There are loads of questions re: region compatibility in the FAQ, but they don't answer my specific question:

if I use a compatible DS system (Japanese DSi or UK DS) with a Japanese version of the game, BUT I PLAY IN THE UK, can I do everything I normally could?

i saw there were cross-generation language limitations, but can my japanese black/white trade with an english black/ white? i also want to take full advantage of wifi connectivity, will that still be okay?

thanks!

I Wi-Fi trade with people from all over the world, including Japan with Japanese names, so you'll be fine.

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
Hello, I was wondering how I get people from a Black City in my White Forest. I've used the Entralink with my Pokemon Black game but none have appeared in my White Forest. I have finished the Pokemon League in both games and have gone to both places if that matters.

Thanks in advance.

Years
  • Seen Jun 6, 2011
I Wi-Fi trade with people from all over the world, including Japan with Japanese names, so you'll be fine.

It might be that the japanese players, playing from japan, have some sort of slightly different connectivity which their game is configured for so i won't be able to use it in the uk. But if i can trade between the different games with 2 DSs as Forever said, if worse comes to worst i can just buy an english copy later. Thanks!

Years
  • Seen Mar 22, 2011
I just hope the network will figure out if players are using action replay to maxout stats, and punish them by turning their pokemon to "bad eggs"

AyameHikaru

Beauty Queen
Years
  • Seen Jul 7, 2013
@vaporeon: Actually, they don't. They changed things with Black & White. Instead of making 4 RNG calls for international breeding, it now makes SIX. So the chances hae gone from 4/8192 (1/2048) to 6/8192, or ~1/1366.

@Toujour: That's correct, but you don't want 255 in two stats. The most stat boosts that can be on one stat is 63 point, or 252 EVs. So if you put those extra 3 on two already maxed out stats it's a waste. Instead, you can put 252 in 2 stats, and 6 in another.

@Moon_light: It does. Active Pokerus only means that it can be transferred. once it switches to passive Pokerus (smiley face) it can't be transferred. But any Pokemon with EITHER version of Pokerus gets the EV boost.

@Dominiku: Yes, nothing changes. I've been playing my Japanese White in America, and I've done Entralink stuff (even with English games), gotten on the Dream World, gotten Wi-fi events, etc. The only difference will be whether or not you read Japanese.

@Vaporeon again: Go to the Entralink. Take a misson you don't mind failing, but one that has a big time limit. Warp to the player's White Forest. (It has to be the opposite game from you!) There should be NPCs you can talk to there. Talk to them and they'll warp to your game.

Midnight Beat

elit resu motsuc
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 17, 2023
and repeating my previous question: does the EV multiplying effect last after pokerus goes away?

Yes. Once they lose the pkrs status they still get the extra EVs, they just cannot pass the pokerus on to other pokemon in your party or PC.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
Years
  • Age 8
  • +
  • Seen Sep 15, 2020
Not complaining about this but why can we use TM's more than once now? It's cool but curious why.

Having TMs reusable is just another addition for Black and White. I'm guessing GameFreak realized how annoying it may have been to continue buying the TMs in the game or trading for the same one you've already used once. I find this quite helpful now, anyway. xD;

Years
  • Seen May 6, 2011
Should I Buy Black or White?

Hi guys,
so i havent bought either one yet, and was wondering what your opinions are.
I was wondering which one would be best for competitive playing, and what starter is looking to be the best.
Thanks

Kendosis

Gym Leader
Years
Quick Question: Do you have to catch dream world Pokemon in a dream ball ?

I hope not, I find it ugly lol.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
Hi guys,
so i havent bought either one yet, and was wondering what your opinions are.
I was wondering which one would be best for competitive playing, and what starter is looking to be the best.
Thanks

As far as I know, Black would be better for competitive play, because you have Black City. Thus, more trainers to EV train on (I heard there are a lot of good ones). As for starter, a lot of people say Samurott is the best of the three (though it's outclassed by some of the other water starters like Swampert), but I'll let someone who knows the more competitive side of B/W answer that question.

Not sure about Dream World.

DarkVhozon

Steel/Dragon Master
Years
What is the reason for White Forest/Black City having no pokemon or trainers...I get there and the place is empty save for the house with the 2 Triple Battles, The Pokemon Center, and some random dude in the top right....Why is it like that.

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
What is the reason for White Forest/Black City having no pokemon or trainers...I get there and the place is empty save for the house with the 2 Triple Battles, The Pokemon Center, and some random dude in the top right....Why is it like that.

You either messed around with your DS clock or never clicked on any of the people. The people in Black City and White Forest disappear after a while if you don't click on them.

AyameHikaru

Beauty Queen
Years
  • Seen Jul 7, 2013
@Kendosis: No, you don't. It just has a 100% catch rate, and I'm not sure about the other balls.

@DarkVhozon: Look about 3 posts up and you'll see....

Ciaran

Banned
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 8, 2012
Okay.. i'm confused..

Do you fight previous gym leaders in this game.. or is it like gold and silver and crystal where you get 16 badges?

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
There are eight badges and an Elite Four. There's only one region, no previous gym leaders, it's all new. Does that answer your question?

Wyatt999

Eevee Collector
Years
Actually, If you go to the second floor of the Pokemon Center, and talk to the girl by the Geonet globe, the GTS is in there.

Years
I talked to the guy in the Battle Subway, and he said...
"I would say the best potential lies in its HP. I see. Its Defense stat is also good. It can't be better in that regard."
Does this mean my pokemon has a 31IV in defense and hp?

Edit: Found out. Answer was yes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back