• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Does anyone else find these games the creepiest in the series?

Years
Does anyone find these games the creepiest out of the series?

I found another thread on the internet where the person pretty much stated the same thing. I don't know what it is about Diamond and Pearl but I find these games the most unnerving out of all the Pokemon games. It's something to do with the soundtrack, the plot and some of the Pokemon you encounter.
Sinnoh has some of the creepiest music in the entire series; Old Chateau/Turnback Cave is probably the most noteworthy contender but there are also other tunes which leaves me with a really uneasy feeling. For some reason, the music that plays in Eterna Forest/Lost Tower gets me because it's so peculiarly upbeat in a way which seems incongruent. The Legendary Pokemon music is also sinister as well as Mount Coronet, Iron Island and the music which plays in the room where you release Azelf, Mesprit and Uxie (in the Galactic building). Other small things deserve a mention too; was anyone else unnerved by the church building in Hearthome City? The fact that Cyrus was completely devoid of human feelings and had no qualms about destroying the universe and eliminating all emotion... Even the opening music of the title screen creeps me out (well, on Diamond anyway). Correct me if I'm wrong, but there also doesn't seem to be as many in-game trainers as other Generations.

Something about these games unnerves me and I don't know what it is. I find Gen 4 cold and dark in comparison to other Gens, though I enjoy Gen 4 immensely, don't get me wrong. It's a similar feeling I get when I'm at Mount Silver in the Johto games, though G/S/C and HG/SS didn't creep me out half as much. Except maybe the Unown radio transmission... shivers...

What do y'all think?

Years
I totally agree with you! The ghosts in Old Chateau... And the picture on the wall with eyes on it.
When I went to Turnback cave for a first time (middle of a night, I was something like 11 years old) I barely slept that night, that place was just too scary. And I didn't even know Giratina was there, I was running around the cave and because of that damn fog I couldn't see anything. Then it suddenly jumped in front of me and scared the hell out of me. Never again!

shadowmoon522

Master of Darkness & Light
Years
  • Age 33
  • PA
  • Seen yesterday
then the 6th gen did this:
1e4.gif

not sure how anyone could have gotten scarred of giritina when it first appeared. personally, i thought it was awesome as soon as i saw it.
still the creepiest thing to most would have to be the folk story #3 original japanese version where it states that humans & pokemon got married. sure, i can see how some might go for a gardevoir or this ↓ in a manor much like how so many who get obsessed with alien girls...
nA7q1.jpg

but something like this↓ will haunt your dreams...
pokemon-marry_o_1359677.jpg

kingdenas

#Team Popplio <3
Years
Well, I loooooove Gen 4, it's my favourite Gen! I loved playing Pokémon Platinum, I fell in love with that game aha! But yeah, there are some strange things about Gen 4, and that's why I love this Gen so much! I would not say the Gen 4 is creepy, but mysterious! The Old Chateau was the only thing that creeped me out! I was a kid, playing at night, nobody awake, with that creepy theme song playing (omg, I really hated listening to that), with ghosts walking in the house, the eyes on the paintings following you, and the worst of all, the Rotom jumping at you when you go look at the TV! I almost shut down my DS aha! But now I don't think the Old Chateau is creepy, I think it is mysterious! Like the all plot of the game!
I don't think Giratina represents Satan, when I first saw him, I was like " what a cool Pokémon"
U.U and the theme songs of the game! OMG, they are so cool! I love the theme song for the Gym Leaders and the Champion, and I know that there are some theme songs that are really strange, but I love them all <3

I think you all caught my opinion! I do agree that this game is different from the others, but I found it more mysterious than creepy ahah!

(I just played Pokémon Platinum, never played Diamond or Pearl!)

Sun

When the sun goes down...
Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2017
Hey, hey how could y'all forget Darkrai? The Pokémon that haunts the whole Sinnoh while people are asleep! {XD}

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
Years
I could barely manage to traverse the Distortion World the first time I played through Platinum. Giratina's cry made me shiver, and that shadow as it flies over you...ugh. That and the eeriness of the Old Chateau are all that brought a bit of fear into me, though those feelings soon disappeared as soon as I met Giratina, and as soon as I caught Rotom. I love both Pokemon, after all.

As for Cyrus...eh, I quite liked his ambitions and his great power as both a leader and a battler. I somewhat honoured him, rather than felt creeped out by him. The fact that he tossed aside human emotion for strength...something about that makes me hold a thumbs-up to him.

Years
Admittedly, Giratina scared me when I first saw it, but once I used it, it became my fave. But yeah it and Darkrai are pretty creepy, and the little boy in Canalave inflicted with nightmares? yeah

Crystal Berry

[span="text-shadow: 0 1px 0 rgba(0,0,0,0.12); font
Years
Distortion World is nice. Turnback cave is decent. Doesn't really creep me out much personally. Some parts of Giratina's battle music in platinum creeps me out a little bit. Old Chateau's music creeps me out the most, but still not much.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
I definitely found the Old Chateau really creepy. I can't say I've seen much else that is just as creepy. Sure later games in the main franchise have tried to make creepy areas with ghosts and whatnot, but they didn't have the same affect. It's gotten tired. Despite this, I think the creepiest game(s) of them all are RBY with their Lavender Town music. The copious amounts of fan fiction and creepy-pastas that exist on the internet surrounding Lavender Town and Hypno especially, make for some really really scary stuff. DPPt come in second for me when it comes to being the creepiest games of the Pokemon franchise.

Years
I never found these games that creepy. Even creepy sights like the Distortion World and Old Chateau never scared me when I was first playing.

Kaiyu

Has officially quit PC
Years
  • Seen Nov 19, 2016
Not really. I didn't find them scary. I don't find any game from any generation scary.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
I'd say there were some elements that definitely made it feel creepy at times. The Old Chateau, Turnback Cave etc have already been mentioned, and I was pretty young when playing Diamond so I definitely got a little spooked going through those areas.

It doesn't apply to every area but I felt that even in normal routes/towns the tileset was a little darker and gloomier than Gen III or HG/SS.

Years
I mean, it might throw you if you're surprised by these things after the comparatively innocuous start. Otherwise, the Old Chateau might surprise with its suspension of the time dynamics present in the rest of the Pokémon games generally and also this one (which is if anything accelerated due to a lack of general events), which might seem personal to some but makes it seem more like a preparatory game than otherwise, but otherwise it's basically just the cast of the third movie which was a while earlier, you shouldn't necessarily be too thrown by it except iasmuch as you might be concerned about how it relates to the 'ghosts' of previous games.

Speaking of which, the first games, after handing you a Pokémon, then sent you off - and notice how people frequently named their characters after themselves, so there's personal identification here - then sent you off to a 'Pokémon graveyard,' and then having so extracted away the companions to leave you alone, as in a weird horror thing, throws in ghosts who can also not be fought - so that it's effectively saying that your Pokémon are now unable to move, in this place, and this is the area - before you are told to stop by a ghostly Marowak, and the player is supposed to just run wildly into these things. So, like, 'Hey, [your name], look at the dead Pokémon, now here are some ghosts all of a sudden, to meet you,' which I mean does seem a bit more than the later games, with their generally diluted adaptations of it.

Years
Hmm. I don't remember being really scared of any part of Diamond/Pearl/Platinum, but I remember in Pokemon Ruby I was terrified when I first awakened Groudon and everywhere was bathed in too much sunlight. I was just really unnerved by the soundtrack, for some reason.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen May 11, 2017
Hmmm. Didn't notice anything when I played Platinum years ago. I'm planning on playing through it again (to catch all the legendaries in Pokeballs -- cheated to get masterballs last time ;) ) so I will definitely see if I missed anything.

I thought Black and White were pretty creepy. Like I didn't understand, was N a cyborg or like a test tube baby? And that creepy room before you fight him as the champion. Strange stuff.

Dreg

Done after the GT.
Years
  • Seen Jul 11, 2016
Without a doubt the Old Chateau was creepy. I don't think I found any other part to be scary, until I played Platinum and found the Distortion World to be creepy.

Back