• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Wiicked Cool Daily Chit-Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thomas

HAIL HYDRA!
Years
I don't really see it as a fail at all. I've had mine for a few months and I like all the games I've gotten so far. Also, DKC comes out today! :D

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
It's a failure if you're talking business.

The system itself is pretty good. It has great games, and I'm playing Donkey Kong right now. It's fantastic.

Thomas

HAIL HYDRA!
Years
*jealous* I don't usually buy games at full price so I'm going to be waiting for a sale or a used copy. I guess I'll just play DKCR again on my 3DS to hold me over *sigh*

Razer302

Three Days Grace - Break
Years
I never really looked into Toukuden (spelling) RO was amazing though, still addicted to it :P

for me the Wii and Wii you held no place for me, I really don't like the style of the systems at all tbh. I have a Wii and although it had some great games it never truly interested me.

In terms of 3DS over Vita, the Vita is no way going to challenge the 3DS even with the poor marketing Nintendo does for everything they produce simply because Sony is terrible at marketing the Vita properly and showing what it is truly good for or even showing it has some amazing games (although I wish they would bring out FF7 Crisis core port :P)

3DS has a far greater game library than the Vita, I personally only got it for pokemon then after having it found a huge amount games that interested me and also my family have had lots of fun with it aswell (ended up buying a 2nd one a month later for sister to use)

I don't see the Wii U getting an increase in sales at all though, it seems far to gimmicky to a lot of people I have spoken to even though it is a pretty good console just not on par with the PS4 or XBONE.

Morning Sun Espeon

Time to shine ★
Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Sep 26, 2016
The Wii-U should've came to the table with something other than a Zelda remake bundle. The Mario bundle sold better at my store than Zelda to my surprise. But the Promise of Smash, Mario Kart, Donkey Kong, ect. Will hopefully pull it back up respectively. The 3DS and Wii had poor starts, but once they released titles, they both took off.

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
I'm not expecting DK to be a big seller. Which is a god damn shame by the way, because there's so much love put into this game it's unbelievable. It's the best Wii U game, and I doubt anything will come close (bar NSMBU ironically, I'm torn on which of these two is the better platformer).

MK8 and Smash will probably do good enough, though.

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
Years
I lost all hope for the Wii U recovering when the thing sold like crap through Christmas even after getting Zelda and Mario. The Nintendo financial report that came out in January pretty much sealed the deal, and then the investor's meeting (which basically confirmed that they're staying the course and not fixing a damn thing) and subsequent Nintendo Direct with zero new games confirmed my suspicions.

I honestly think that Nintendo knows the Wii U is unsalvageable and they're just riding out the next year or two until they can try again with another new piece of hardware (handheld/console hybrid maybe?) in late 2015 or so. I think that's why there was nothing new for Wii U in that Nintendo Direct. They'll go ahead and release the games they've announced already like MK8, X, and Bayonetta 2, but I really doubt that Nintendo has any more major projects in the works for Wii U. I even think that Zelda will likely be a Twilight Princess situation - it might see a release on the Wii U, but I'm thinking it will also be a launch title for their next platform.

It's a shame, because I love Nintendo and I love my Wii U, but the system has been an unmitigated disaster from the day it was unveiled.

Years
Let's face it, no matter what happens I can't see Nintendo abandoning the Wii U. It's not like it's make or break for them, the 3DS is doing so well they could stop making the Wii U tomorrow and be perfectly fine. They'll have to make some tough decisions over the next year or so... it's going to be interesting to see.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Years
  • Seen May 20, 2023
3DS has a far greater game library than the Vita, I personally only got it for pokemon then after having it found a huge amount games that interested me and also my family have had lots of fun with it aswell (ended up buying a 2nd one a month later for sister to use)

I know everyone thinks of the 3DS as the clear winner, but I'm honestly not convinced. The Vita itself is a damn big loser(very unfortunate because Killzone: Mercenaries and Tearaway look brilliant), but all I've heard about the 3DS games were how disappointing they were, especially in comparison to recent entries in the same series. Super Mario 3D Land, TLoZ(LBW and OoT), Fire Emblem, Etrian Odyssey, SMT, and Luigi's Mansion were some of the series that come to mind.

Note that I mean these in regards to actual fans. I understand that Fire Emblem: Awakening essentially saved the series from the guillotine, but I've seen nothing but distaste for it from the FE community.
Let's face it, no matter what happens I can't see Nintendo abandoning the Wii U. It's not like it's make or break for them, the 3DS is doing so well they could stop making the Wii U tomorrow and be perfectly fine. They'll have to make some tough decisions over the next year or so... it's going to be interesting to see.

I highly doubt they'll drop the Wii U just like that. Even if it is a total failure, they wouldn't do it because it hurts consumer trust way too much. Imagine the state Sony would be in if they just dropped the grill PS3 instead of improving upon it with the Slim.

maccrash

foggy notion
Years
whoa man, both of those Legend of Zelda games have been heralded as a great remake in OoT 3D's case and one of the best entries of the series post-N64 in LBW case. Personally, I wasn't huge on ALBW but I've played through OoT 3D multiple times and I love it. People love Awakening as well, and I'm in the same boat. Never played any of the others except for SM3DL, which is pretty much exactly what you'd expect a Mario platformer on the 3DS to be like.

I doubt they'd drop the Wii U too, but I'm actually not sure if they'll continue making consoles after this. People don't take Nintendo consoles very seriously anymore; most people don't even know the Wii U exists, and most casual gamers think the Wii is a kids' console. While the hardcore gamers know otherwise, a lot of the people that go out to buy consoles don't know as much about it, so they're gonna gravitate towards the Sony and Microsoft consoles. It's clear that Nintendo has the upper-hand on everyone when it comes to handhelds, so I can see them potentially focusing mainly on that next gen.

another thing I think may be a good idea for them would be to extend their first party games to other consoles. It may be weird to see Mario on a Sony console, but if Nintendo's consoles are going to continue selling this poorly, it may be their only choice.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
I've really only heard good things overall about the LoZ titles and Luigi's Mansion 2 (yet to play that though). Gotta say the 3ds has an abundance of great games too.

Fire Emblem Awakening is understandable given the classic mode, map complaints, etc, but I think it's still well received by a bunch of people who followed the series a lot (I liked it myself), and I would much prefer more games in the series than no more given the circumstances. (Besides, I don't care if people can play an easier mode, doesn't affect me if I choose to go harder).

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
Years
I feel like the Wii U has a ton of unused potential--imo enough potential to pass the PS4 and XBox One in sales. I think their biggest problem was marketing and timing. When the Wii U first came out the "must get" games didn't come out with it, which I feel like is their first mistake. And the game that arguably the most people are looking forward to is SSB, which they still haven't even given a release date on.

It's a shame that Wii U isn't doing so well because imo PS4 and XBox One don't bring anything unique to the table that isn't completely outclassed by PC (graphics, processing speed, etc). I'll probably end up getting a Wii U just for Smash Bros. and Metroid, but honestly I don't expect a ton of quality titles to come out for it. Just doesn't seem like Nintendo cares to invest in it. 3DS seems to be their main thing these days.

Years
It's a shame that Wii U isn't doing so well because imo PS4 and XBox One don't bring anything unique to the table that isn't completely outclassed by PC (graphics, processing speed, etc). I'll probably end up getting a Wii U just for Smash Bros. and Metroid, but honestly I don't expect a ton of quality titles to come out for it. Just doesn't seem like Nintendo cares to invest in it. 3DS seems to be their main thing these days.

And not even outclassed by just high-end PCs! A lot of the components in them are equivalent to AMD's low-midrange parts. Some are higher-end than that, sure, but AMD equipment is dirt-cheap for the performance you get form it (granted, all of the consoles currently use AMD hardware).

The Wii U could turn it around if marketing gets better and the game selection gets better. With system prices climbing higher, having a must-have title at launch is essential to boosting sales, and the Wii U failed in that regard.

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
Nintendo developers actually make the best out of the Wii U graphically. Tropical Freeze made me say WOW more than once, and I rarely ever, EVER, do that.

Screenshots. (Not mine.)
Spoiler:

They might not be impressive on a technical level (like the geometry) but everything is so full of detail and creativity that it's so easy to ignore the technical issues and just look at it, and the game actually doesn't have a single re-used asset. (Take the second to last screenshot for example, none of the trees are the same.) As you progress through the levels, the background changes with the progression as well. And everything is so lively and animated, it's hard to believe this is at 60fps. When I replay levels I STILL find new things. Wii game my ass.

Nathan

Blade of Justice
Years
On the note of the Wii U's fail, I was looking at the sales in Japan and, in two days only, there were around two times more PS4 sold than Wii U since the start of the year. That's quite sad and funny in a way lmao.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
On the note of the Wii U's fail, I was looking at the sales in Japan and, in two days only, there were around two times more PS4 sold than Wii U since the start of the year. That's quite sad and funny in a way lmao.
Well, the PS4 just came out there so of course it's going to sell a TON of consoles in the first few days as preorders and release hype run their course. It's not a good time to make a comparison. (And if you must, I'd make the comparison between the PS4's sales in the last few days since its release and the first few days of the Wii U's initial release... but even then, the economy is fairly different so they wouldn't be that comparable.)

That said I can't imagine Wii U would come out on top no matter what kind of comparison were made. :( I only know a handful of people who own one and the ones who do literally never talk about it, so I don't think they play it much... (Although admittedly the same can be said for PS4 or Xbone owners I know.)

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
I noticed Wii U owners actually barely buy games on their Wii U. A travesty because a lot of great games ("a lot" as in all of them with the exception of NSMBU) on the system sold poorly or downright bombed. (Wonderful 101 is such a sad case in particular.) I fear for DK.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
I think most of the Wii U owners I know pretty much only bought their console for Wind Waker so once the novelty (can you even say it's a novelty when it's a remake?) wore off they just never touched it again, really. :(

I can't really judge them though. I love the hell out of my Vita but I only own like 4 games for it and I barely touch it but then turn right around and whine about the lack of games coming out on the system...

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
Years
I think most of the Wii U owners I know pretty much only bought their console for Wind Waker so once the novelty (can you even say it's a novelty when it's a remake?) wore off they just never touched it again, really. :(

I can't really judge them though. I love the hell out of my Vita but I only own like 4 games for it and I barely touch it but then turn right around and whine about the lack of games coming out on the system...
I got my Wii U at launch, when Wind Waker wasn't even announced. I liked Lego City and Nintendo Land a lot, and 3D World was freaking fantastic. Even though I'm really critical of the Wii U and skeptical of its future, I have enjoyed the games I've played on it so far, and honestly regret purchasing it a lot less than I do my Vita.

Super Bling

Clair pretty thick, huh?
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen May 10, 2014
Don't worry guys--

With Nintendo's discontinuation of wifi for the Wii and DS systems, and Smash Bros. 4 and MK8 coming out this year...

They should have a grand re-releasing of the Wii U, this is going to be a great year for Nintendo.

Not to mention there MUST be a new Zelda coming out sooner or later; that's good stuff too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back