• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

ROM Hacking Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
I didn't say to remember every single movement command.
When I script, I just open a notepad and then open the movement commands I saved in notepad a few years ago.
Also, why script movements like...
Code:
#raw 0x11
#raw 0x11
#raw 0x11
#raw 0x11
#raw 0x11
#raw 0x13
#raw 0x13
#raw 0x11
#raw 0x11
#raw 0xFE
when you can...
Code:
#raw 0x11 0x11 0x11 0x11 0x11
#raw 0x13 0x13 0x11 0x11 0xFE
...?

But well, not everyone are alike. I don't get tired of writing movements. In fact, I find it fun, since I love analyzing stuff.
Maybe it's my analyzing methods that made me conclude that your suggested tool's useless... :\
I wanna apologize for that.

Now I see the point of your tool, yet I think I'll still be sticking with my method of scripting. ;)

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen yesterday
The tool would help a lot of people, and it may inspire those who find scripting movement events hard to start doing them. If this tool did come around, it would help new scripters immensely, perhaps even making better scripts in newer hacks, but then again, it could create lazy people, who would make bad, poorly thought out hacks.

BlitŻ1

guahh my dog is so cute
Years
The tool would help a lot of people, and it may inspire those who find scripting movement events hard to start doing them. If this tool did come around, it would help new scripters immensely, perhaps even making better scripts in newer hacks, but then again, it could create lazy people, who would make bad, poorly thought out hacks.

I think that the tool is a great idea, but what happens when even the lowest of all noobs in the nub world can create a hack? It's going to be even worse that when over the summer, tons of hacks poured into the scrapbox and progressing hacks, but none ever made it into the showcase.

So I think it could be a great thing to have, but it would also reduce the confusion of rom hacking, which is why i like it so much ^^'. It's just when thing I can say that my friends haven't done :P.

So in the end, I think that the creation of this tool will make Rom Hacking less as a obstacle to be overcame, and just be something that you can learn quickly, and then apply your imagination..

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
Also, why script movements like...
Code:
#raw 0x11
#raw 0x11
#raw 0x11
#raw 0x11
#raw 0x11
#raw 0x13
#raw 0x13
#raw 0x11
#raw 0x11
#raw 0xFE
when you can...
Code:
#raw 0x11 0x11 0x11 0x11 0x11
#raw 0x13 0x13 0x11 0x11 0xFE
...?
Well, his way is more organized and helps when you want to quickly count how many movements there are. For me, at least, it's easier to count them all vertically as opposed to when they're all on one row. Overall, it's just a lot neater and more efficient, though that might not be the case for everyone.

It's going to be even worse that when over the summer, tons of hacks poured into the scrapbox and progressing hacks, but none ever made it into the showcase.
Um, I haven't been around very long compared to a lot of people on these forums but hasn't that always been the case? There always have been and always will be swarms of hacks that most likely aren't destined for the Hacks Showcase.

You dont have to memorise them I made a list in the note section of xse
Hm, that's not a bad idea. I had previously used the notes section as a reference for the Person Event No.'s that I plan on using in the script that I'm currently writing but I haven't been using it as much lately now that I've discovered the '#define' preprocessing directive.

Chibi Robo

of the entire epoch!
Years
  • Age 28
  • Cali
  • Seen Apr 2, 2013
New topic :3
Just need a quick opinion guys
Me and harry (Manipulation) have been arguing on about tiles
He wants to use the standard FR tiles with a bit of ruby in them
But I want to use the new tiles we have already
Anywho I just wanted a few opinions to prove harry wrong on tiles.
thanks~

Pokepal17

More cowbell~
Years
thanks~

Fire Red FTW
Yay for Harry!

You still miss the point. The task of writing the codes outright is what I'm on about.

This solely depends on whether your tiles look like a molten piece of crap, or they actually look good. D;

Okay Hiroshi, as much as I support your idea, I doubt HackMew will use it because he will probably say that you can make a .rbh file for movements e.g.

#define STEP_UP_FAST 0x1E

So, as much as I love your idea, I highly doubt it could be in XSE, although I'm wishing he will put it in XSE. (yet I still wouldn't use it because I'm stubborn ¬_¬)

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
thanks~
I'd say use stock FR tiles but that's just my opinion. It's hard to say whether one set of tiles is better than another because it's a matter of opinion. I just prefer the professional look of the standard tiles.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
Years
thanks~

FR with a bit of Ruby.

Nintendo's just too good with these things. Their palettes are just awesome.

Years
I think that the tool is a great idea, but what happens when even the lowest of all noobs in the nub world can create a hack? It's going to be even worse that when over the summer, tons of hacks poured into the scrapbox and progressing hacks, but none ever made it into the showcase.

So I think it could be a great thing to have, but it would also reduce the confusion of rom hacking, which is why i like it so much ^^'. It's just when thing I can say that my friends haven't done :P.

So in the end, I think that the creation of this tool will make Rom Hacking less as a obstacle to be overcame, and just be something that you can learn quickly, and then apply your imagination..
the lowest of all noobs in the nub world can alraddy create a hack. That happent years ago. I like the movement tool, just as an add-in to XSE.

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen yesterday
thanks~

I gotta say, Firered, but t depends really on whose tiles. But overall, I'd agree with Harry, as FR tiles are seriously underrated.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
I guess new tiles are better... since FR ones look boring if ya played FR/LG many times before

By the way is it only me or Scrapbox section has more and more poor hacks and some threads which can't even be consider as hacks?

Last edited:

Tropical Sunlight

The Faltine
Years
I have another discussion:

If you have Fakemon, what moves & stats do you give them?
Strong? Overpowered? Weak? The catch rate? I wanna know!

TB Pro

Old-timer
Years
I have another discussion:

If you have Fakemon, what moves & stats do you give them?
Strong? Overpowered? Weak? The catch rate? I wanna know!
Usually I find a Pokemon that seems similar and model everything off of them.

Ok, I'll elaborate more. (: I model the stats off of said Pokemon by choosing *my idea* of said Fakemon's high stats. Sometimes a little adjustment is needed for certain Fakemon, but I keep it as close to a real Pokemon's stats as possible. The moveset is fairly based off the same Pokemon. Though I usually just use the levels, but that is still modeling, no? I'll usually open up all the moves of the Pokemon's type(via Serebii), as well as look at (in this case)Samson's thread for the moves he has set. Not all Fakemon have this liberty, but the process would be similar. I then lightly model the actual moves and what level it learns them on the same Pokemon. I use the model Pokemon's catch rate.

Last edited:

Lady Berlitz

Cinnamon ♪
Years
For the FireRed/LeafGreen tiles discussion; Personal preference, I would choose the FR/LG tiles with some changed palettes here and there and maybe a few extra custom tiles. I mean, there's nothing wrong with completely changed tiles, but I personally think that FR/LG tiles are more solid, and usually the finished product of changed tiles is not as good.

For the Fakemon stats discussion: like Jesse said, I would model my new Fakemon to an old Pokémon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back