• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Rainbow Connection [LGBTS Club]

Years
Andy wakes up every morning and feels fabulous.

I do hope we see good things this election in America, with Washington and elsewhere. I still have this bitter taste in my mouth from the Prop 8 mistake 4 years ago.

SchwarzRozen, you just keep on acceptin' yourself. I had some trouble doing that for myself, but you're doing it all fine.

Railgun

Ever Day Another New Adventure
Years
So I found out my school has a LBGT club and went to join today but it was not held due to the autumn festival we had but my question is does anyone know what one is like? I know it may be a dump question but curious if they talk a lot or if its more of a place to just chill and hang out

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Well every club is different, so we can't really tell you what yours is like. The best way to tell is just to go and see what they're doing :3

TornZero

Resident Yuri-ism Cult Leader
Years
Clubs are generally different, but I haven't seen a GSA that wasn't laid back in some way. Also, I have been very happy these past few days, for two reasons.

The first thing is that I finally got my driver's license!

The second is that both a man (at night) and a woman (in the middle of the day) called me "ma'am" when they were verifying my ID so I could get home (I live on a military base), and the woman said I had very pretty hair. ^_^ It was also hilarious hearing their apologies. [Honestly, I felt like it was a compliment.]

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
Years
The club at my college didn't do anything really... they have a fundraiser once a year, and a cosplay drag show once a year, but otherwise, they just play games and talk about random stuff.

The second is that both a man (at night) and a woman (in the middle of the day) called me "ma'am" when they were verifying my ID so I could get home (I live on a military base), and the woman said I had very pretty hair. ^_^ It was also hilarious hearing their apologies. [Honestly, I felt like it was a compliment.]
Lucky.

Railgun

Ever Day Another New Adventure
Years
Ah thanks glad to hear they are more laid back then I thought. Part of me thought it would be more like making speeches and stuff.

As for crossdressing or dressing as female I did use Halloween as a chance to wear fake boobs and dress girly. Got some weird looks but I'm at the point I don't care if people look at me as long as I feel good about myself

Last edited by a moderator:

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
I don't imagine they'd ever make somebody give a speech. The idae of a club is that you're meant to feel comfortable there, and I think it's widely known that there are very very few people in the world who feel comfortable giving a speech :P. I can see your logic, but I think you'll be fine :)

Years
People get so mortified when they think they've called you by the wrong gender, like they're insulted your dear saintly grandmother. It's kind of funny when you step back and look at it. Like, you can be glad they care enough to give you the respect, but also you think, wow, they're putting way too much emphasis on this.

Altix

Son of a Snivy and a Zoroark
Years
I'm back! I love how Gary Johnson guy spelled straight wrong. I'm sorry but that's funny.

Years
  • Seen Dec 16, 2012
I am so joining this. I've grown up with an extremely rough life being abused and hated by my family for being gay. Problem is, they can't even confirm I'm gay, they're just abusing me on the assumption (Even though I am indeed gay)
I live in what I love to call "Trickery Homophobia Land" because here, everybody pretends that if you come out they'll be all loving and super supportive, and then you do and **** hits the fan and all hell breaks loose.
My college does NOT have a GSBT Alliance group of any kind, though, and both confusingly and thankfully, they do fly the rainbodw flag in the courtyard.

I'm thankful to be Canadian. I may not live in a supportive area, but at least Canada as a whole is far more accepting of non-heterosexuals than most other countries. As for the US, I do fear Romney getting into the White House. Even if things stay in their current condition, I'd much rather see Obama get re-elected, even if I'm being told by everybody that Romney will win.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 7, 2017
I am so joining this. I've grown up with an extremely rough life being abused and hated by my family for being gay. Problem is, they can't even confirm I'm gay, they're just abusing me on the assumption (Even though I am indeed gay)
I live in what I love to call "Trickery Homophobia Land" because here, everybody pretends that if you come out they'll be all loving and super supportive, and then you do and **** hits the fan and all hell breaks loose.
My college does NOT have a GSBT Alliance group of any kind, though, and both confusingly and thankfully, they do fly the rainbodw flag in the courtyard.
Welcome :) I think you'll find this thread fun, supportive and helpful. As for your situation, I'm really sorry to hear that :\ I have the same problem, but my family will never assume that I'm gay - it's simple, just tell them that a good female friend is actually your girlfriend. It's been more than a year since they believe I have a girlfriend xD I even get some extra cash so I can buy her flowers or something.

Anyway, again, welcome :D

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
Hey Destructor, welcome to the group!

Your situation is horrible, and unfortunately not unique :(. Has anybody in your family actually ever asked you if you're gay? And what kind of things do they do to abuse you? I hope it's nothing physical, at the very least.

---

Onto me though (and I hate making the conversation about me, especially after replying to such a serious post, but I have to make an exception because this is kinda huge), my family now knows that I'm gay! So, in true Rainbow Connection fashion, let me tell you all the story.

Oddly enough, Pokemon is responsible for my outing. About a month or two ago, I joined the gay sex dating app Grindr. I didn't join it for the same reason most people do, instead I just wanted to see if I could make some new friends because it struck me that I don't hang out with any gay people and the two friends I do hang out with are both left over from high school. So I joined, and started meeting people. A lot of sex freaks, as you'd expect, but I did manage to meet some cool people.

One day, I changed my profile picture to one of me wearing my favourite shirt, which is a plain white T-shirt with a giant picture of a Meowth on the front. This one guy, Luke, contacted me almost immediately asking me if I actually liked Pokemon and whether I was excited for the release of B2W2 (which hadn't been released here yet at the time). I looked at his profile and saw that he lived just 1.5km away, so we decided to meet up.

We met up and hung out a few times with his other nerdy friends who are also into Pokemon, but the whole game changed on Tuesday when he sent me a text at work saying "Do you wanna go for a drive? I need to talk to you about something"

No, this story isn't going where you think it is :P.

I agreed to pick him up after work and we drove around for a bit, and eventually he told me that his two housemates Ben and Jarrad have made a spur-of-the-moment decision to buy a house in a town about five hours away, and they'd be moving at the end of the month, and he needed two new housemates to share his expenses. I've been feeling increasingly unhappy at home, feeling like I'm living under my parents' thumb rather than their roof which is not OK at age 22, so I jumped at the chance.

I had til the end of the month so I resolved not to tell my parents about it just yet, but wait until next week when my sister would be holidaying in Melbourne so that it would be less pressure-packed. Then on Friday, I got more texts from him saying that it had been moved up to two weeks, which meant that I would have to tell my parents soon. I got home from the party and told my mother straight away, and she did not take it very well... especially since she didn't know I even had a friend called Luke.

After a long discussion, I told her I needed 100 points of ID to take to the real estate the next day and I had to go down to Luke's to discuss stuff. So I gathered up my stuff and went. Little did I know that my mother would log onto my uncle's Facebook to stalk my new friend.

Luke and I were printing off rental application forms when I got a text from my mother.

"I think we need to discuss this a bit more before u make a decision. This guy is gfay isn't he?"

To which I replied, "Yes he is, is that a problem?"

She replied soon after, "Yes I think it is. Im not being nasty. Are you gay too?"

At this point, there was only one word on my mind, and it's not appropriate for PokeCommunity.

After what was probably too long, I replied, "We'll talk when I get home, but it's not like that."

She took no time at all to reply with "Please come home now"

And so I raced home, completely unsure of what to expect. I walked in to find my mother and my sister sitting in the living room in complete silence. And then it began.

"So, do you have something you'd like to tell me?"

I really didn't want to say "I'm gay" at this point, because the question was so unbelievably cringe-worthy that that answer would have seemed completely lame after the fact. So I said "The answer is yes" and sat down in my seat. At this point she went very stiff, and the voice in which she asked the following questions was very very quiet.

She ran through the usual questions. How long have you known, does anybody else know, how long have they known, "so you told them before you told me?", and so on and so forth. She asked if I was interested in Luke, to which I told her no, and she asked if there was anybody else I'd ever been interested in. Those sorts of questions. Thankfully she didn't ask me about the status of my virginity, since I've had sex with several different men in this very house, once on the couch on which she currently sat.

My sister was worse than my mother, she was very upset that I didn't feel I could tell her. Both were upset about that actually, and I do resent it a little bit. It's not as easy as that, and just because they knew they would be OK with it, does not by a long shot mean that I knew that, particularly since I've spent years getting very mixed messages from my mother on the LGBT topic in general... such as shouting "Ew, ew ,ew!" every time two men would kiss on television.

Then they turned the conversation to how they don't think I should move out... for many reasons I'm sure you can imagine and I won't bore you with. There were a couple of reasons she listed that were to do with the whole gay thing.

"My biggest fear is that you'll become one of those gay people with the funny haircuts. You just see them on the street and you think 'oh my god'".

"I really don't want you getting into the gay scene."

Those really bothered me, and they still do, but whatever. It didn't go as badly as it could have. Eventually Mum and my sister went to bed, after Mum making it clear that it was a shock and something they would have to get their heads around, but that it's OK with them.

Apparently she had told my Dad before I got home, and he was snoring when I got home, but when I got up the next morning she told me he hadn't slept very well at all. I woke up feeling really icky and invaded, rather than free like I was supposed to, and that surprised me. I don't like people knowing more about me than they absolutely have to in real life... for some reason I'm very guarded that way, but even still, everybody talks about coming out as this hugely freeing experience and I just didn't feel that way.

Mum went out of her way the next morning to assure me that my Dad's quietness was just shock, and not a sign that he wasn't OK with my being gay. My Dad and I haven't had much to say to each other since I was 14 years old, so I actually hadn't noticed his quietness at all lmao. Before I left for work, she asked if it would be OK if we all sat down and had a talk as a family, to which I agreed despite my thought process of "Oh God, two awkward discussions two nights?"

So that night we all sat down and had a discussion. They all raised their concerns about me moving out in a somewhat intervention-style format... again I won't bore you with the details of that, but we got onto the gay stuff and they did the whole speech you expect from a family trying to show they support their new gay son

"We still love you, we accept you, they say you're born that way so it's all good, it's a shock but it doesn't change anything" and so on and so on. I guess that was really nice of them, but I was never all that worried that they wouldn't accept me since I don't really talk all that much to them at the best of times. So it was nice, but completely awkward and skin-crawly and I didn't quite know what to do with myself. I just kept saying "yup" to everything they said until it was all over. I feel bad, but I couldn't bring myself to say "I love you too" because it just felt way too Brady Bunch for my tastes.

That was Saturday night. It's now the early hours of Tuesday morning and it hasn't been mentioned since! I am moving out (to a house that is five minutes away from where I live now) with two gay guys and I'm gonna have the greatest experience of my life (I hope), and my family knows that I'm gay and everything is all good.

So that's my coming out story :P

Years
Our little Andy is all grown up now. *sniff* My favorite part of this story was "This guy is gfay isn't he?" I really hope that's how she wrote it.

I sympathize with the feeling invaded part, how other people can act all insulted like they deserve to know everything, how they think more about how it affects them than it does you.

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
Awh Andy! You made the leap! Well done. I hope that your new place/life will be that bit more fulfilling, especially with that weight off your chest and your family behind you.

[Yes it's been a while since I've been in here, still queer, hello.]

TornZero

Resident Yuri-ism Cult Leader
Years
Someone needs to get Andy a slice of cake — he deserves it. Though, like Scarf, I do really hope "This guy is gfay isn't he?" is how your mother actually wrote it, Andy.

And a welcome back to SwiftSign and his queerness.

Last edited:

Patatas Fritas

bajo el mismo sol ღ
Years
I'm so ridiculously proud of you, Andrew <3 I'm so happy that they took it well, and it's great you're moving out! Make sure you let us know how that goes and who knows maybe a spark will occur between you and one of those boys, eh?

And I agree with the others. I hope your mum really did use the word "gfay"

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I'm glad I chose this moment to stalk this thread because the use of gfay is great and I'm going to start saying it a lot more. Oh, and Andy. Really. PLEASE do not become one of those gays with the "oh my God" haircuts because we can't have that. Be gay all you want, but don't you dare ruin the sanctity of hair.

Oh, and since I think y'all can appreciate this...it's a picture our photographer took during band practice after it stopped raining. And then someone took it and added the words and...well, just look.

Spoiler:

Isn't it beautiful? :) Clark, the guy with his hands up, is actually gay btw, haha. ...He should totally join PC because he likes Pokemon as well.

/hides for months again :)

Back