• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon DarkViolet (Full Version Released)

Years
  • Seen Sep 11, 2022
This game is amazing! I love the new features and the graphics...Just a few things I've noticed:
1: Technician is waaay too OP. I haven't even evolved my scyther yet and its still KOing everything
2: I don't think Solar Power is actually powering up Special Attack. I taught my charmeleon sunny day and his ember attack didnt seem to get any boost with it
3: After completing the SS Anne, if the player walks from vermilion city to route 6, the music does not change.
Overall, these are pretty minor things compared to the whole game because its just so amazing!

Years
  • Seen Jan 11, 2017
Just finished Beta 2 yesterday and it was so amazing! Btw Sorry for the Question May I know when will be the release of the Final Beta?

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
Ok before I say anything, first of all, this is a great beta! Thanks for taking your time to create this.
I've got a few things to report though
First of all, you might want to look at your move descriptions. The move description for Taunt is off, and I believe Venom Rush is off too (the move description isn't matching what its doing).
Thanks for playing and pointing those out. Turns out I forgot to set the effect accuracy for Venom Rush, and Dragon Pulse's move description was accidentally written over Taunt and Helping Hand's description. I've just fixed them and it should work just fine in future releases.

Second, for some reason, when the opponent uses Destiny Bond on me, its not working like its supposed to. I was fighting a trainer's Gastly, and it used Destiny Bond on me. My Graveler took it out that turn, but for some reason, my Graveler didn't faint as well.
I'm assuming your Graveler has Sturdy as its ability. In Gen III, Sturdy negates Destiny Bond. This wasn't changed until Gen V.

There's a lot of Bikers later in the game that have Weezings (they learn Destiny Bond through level-up) and from that I can confirm that Destiny Bond works just as it should as I had it happen to me.

EDIT: So Doesn'tKnowHowToPlay did a quick test and it turns out that Sturdy doesn't negate Destiny Bond (I just assumed so because Bulbapedia stated that Destiny Bond doesn't negate it under Gen V, and the fact that I've had Destiny Bond's effect successfully happen to me during testing), but I just did a quick test and Destiny Bond works as it should:
EiuviHw.png

So all I can say is that either something got messed up because you used a different ROM dump, or something happened so that Destiny Bond doesn't trigger (such as Sandstorm)?

And I like the story in this game, but what irked me from a player's point of view was having to listen to NPC's talk about details I already knew about over and over again (eg. Kamon talking about Deoxys' tale after Daisy talked about it). I know it makes sense storywise, because the NPC's don't know you already know this, but it just gets repetitive in my opinion.
Kamon at Pokémon Tower and Daisy in Celadon City weren't saying things that the character knows at that point, and even though both talks about Deoxys, they mentioned completely different facts, none of which are known by the player at that point. That event with Daisy, Blue, and Green in Celadon City simply explains that the purple rock in Pewter Museum is a remnant of Deoxys, and how they believe the target of the Devil's Prism is Deoxys.

At Pokémon Tower, while the target of the Devil's Prism is still referred, Mr. Fuji specifically explains what it would take to restore Deoxys's body, which has not been mentioned by anyone at that point in the game. Daisy, Blue, and Green have absolutely no idea how to restore Deoxys's body, but Mr. Fuji does, and explains it to Kamon, to which Red (the player) overhears.

The Daisy event in Celadon City is necessary because it is basically a "follow-up" to when you first met Daisy on Route 25, where she mentions that the rumors of the Legendary Pokémon that was "unleashed" thirteen years ago either lives in Cerulean Cave or somehow had its body destroyed. The event in Celadon City then tells the player that the Pokémon that had its body destroyed was Deoxys, and that Deoxys's brain is literally the purple rock in Pewter Museum that Kamon was staring at when you first entered the museum. Without that event, you would have no idea that the purple rock is actually Deoxys (I noticed from LP's of my hack on Youtube that most people seem to think it's Mewtwo), nor would Daisy, Green, and Blue know either.

The Kamon/Fuji event in Pokémon Tower is necessary because the fact that it talks about specifically how to restore Deoxys' body becomes very important in an event that's going to happen in the full game release when you get to Cinnabar Island. Without that Kamon/Fuji event in Pokémon Tower, the sequence of events I have planned at Cinnabar would make no sense in terms of what I have planned for the characters.

This game is amazing! I love the new features and the graphics...Just a few things I've noticed:
1: Technician is waaay too OP. I haven't even evolved my scyther yet and its still KOing everything
Seeing as Scyther's levels upon capture are typically Lv19-21, a wild Scyther at those levels would know Pursuit, False Swipe, Agility, and Wing Attack. What Technician does is that it multiplies the power of attacks that are 60 and under to x1.5 This means that Pursuit becomes 60 BP. A Technician Scyther's Wing Attack is literally 135 BP, because Technician boosts Wing Attack to 90 BP, and Scyther's Flying-type STAB further boosts Wing Attack to 135 BP.

Also, Scyther is a terrible example of Technician being too OP. Scyther is by no means a weak Pokémon; its base Attack is 110 (and its overall BST is the same as Scizor's, one could argue that Scyther and Scizor are equally powerful, it's just that Scizor trades Scyther's speed for a higher Attack and Defense stat)

All in all, Technician is working exactly as it should, which is good to hear. If you think it's OP, then don't use Technician Scyther lol (or try Technician Meowth who has a far lower Attack stat)

2: I don't think Solar Power is actually powering up Special Attack. I taught my charmeleon sunny day and his ember attack didnt seem to get any boost with it
I'll test it out and ask MrDollSteak if it doesn't appear to work, since he added the new abilities.

3: After completing the SS Anne, if the player walks from vermilion city to route 6, the music does not change.
Overall, these are pretty minor things compared to the whole game because its just so amazing!
I know exactly why that happens, and it has to due with a very minor part of the S.S. Anne events (specifically when Kamon takes Red, Green, and Blue out of the Captain's room, you'll notice that his theme music continues into the main 3F room). It will be fixed by next release.

It is a temporary flag that causes that, so you can just save and reset your game to make the music work as normal. But again, it will be fixed by next release.

Just finished Beta 2 yesterday and it was so amazing! Btw Sorry for the Question May I know when will be the release of the Final Beta?
I have absolutely no idea.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 7, 2023
I noticed a little bug when I was having scizor relearn metal claw, I noticed there was no description for metal claw as well.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 6, 2019
Kamon at Pokémon Tower and Daisy in Celadon City weren't saying things that the character knows at that point, and even though both talks about Deoxys, they mentioned completely different facts, none of which are known by the player at that point.
The player doesn't know about Deoxys before Daisy of course, I never said the player did. But I concede to your other points. I was mashing A during the dialogue, so some of the particulars might have escaped me.

I'm assuming your Graveler has Sturdy as its ability. In Gen III, Sturdy negates Destiny Bond. This wasn't changed until Gen V.

There's a lot of Bikers later in the game that have Weezings (they learn Destiny Bond through level-up) and from that I can confirm that Destiny Bond works just as it should as I had it happen to me.

EDIT: So Doesn'tKnowHowToPlay did a quick test and it turns out that Sturdy doesn't negate Destiny Bond (I just assumed so because Bulbapedia stated that Destiny Bond doesn't negate it under Gen V, and the fact that I've had Destiny Bond's effect successfully happen to me during testing), but I just did a quick test and Destiny Bond works as it should:
EiuviHw.png

So all I can say is that either something got messed up because you used a different ROM dump, or something happened so that Destiny Bond doesn't trigger (such as Sandstorm)?
Yeah its probably because I was using a different rom dump. I wasn't using the squirrels one you mentioned. I'm playing this hack using the correct rom dump now though, so that shouldn't happen again, I guess. Thanks for replying!

Years
  • Seen Feb 3, 2016
playing through beta 2 and loving it so far. one thing i noticed is that the result from the egg you can get is a little messed up. by that i mean that the description for one of its moves is just two letters and a period. the other thing is if you try to nickname it the nickname gets screwed up. i chose to name the hatchling "prism" but it came back as "prcm". i dont know if this is a known issue or not but i thought it was a good idea to bring it up.

Ammako

I hate you. You know who you are.
Years
  • Seen Feb 1, 2018
I found one tiny typo, in the S.S. Anne, one of the NPCs says "stake" instead of "steak" (in the dining room, the one at the far top-left.)

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 6, 2019
playing through beta 2 and loving it so far. one thing i noticed is that the result from the egg you can get is a little messed up. by that i mean that the description for one of its moves is just two letters and a period. the other thing is if you try to nickname it the nickname gets screwed up. i chose to name the hatchling "prism" but it came back as "prcm". i dont know if this is a known issue or not but i thought it was a good idea to bring it up.
I'm assuming you're talking about Eevee and its Helping Hand move. If you look at Chaos Rush's reply to me, he said that Dragon Pulse's move description overwrote Taunt and Helping Hand's move descriptions. So that's probably why.
As for the nicknaming thing, I never had that issue. Is it your rom dump that's causing the issue?

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
Guys, before reporting a glitch, please verify that you are using the same ROM dump that I am. I am using "1636 - Pokemon Fire Red (U)(Squirrels).gba".

And yes, it is a very possibility that people experience glitches that the hacker can't replicate because of different ROM dumps. There was a very similar issue in past hack threads, such as AzureHorizons, where people would experience things that the creator definitely didn't put there (for instance, I recall a problem with that hack where people said a trainer had a Lv49 Weezing when everyone else in that area was like Lv15, and the hacker did not actually put that there).

I'll add the name of the ROM dump to the first post to help prevent this issue.

I'm not trying to sound impatient/annoyed (well in all honesty, I am kinda annoyed, but it's my fault for not putting the name of the ROM dump in the first post) because it is kinda annoying when people report glitches that I've never had happen to me, and then I go test it out and turns out there's no glitch to fix. Nonetheless, I appreciate all of you guys playing this and pointing glitches/errors out, as I want the final product to be glitch-free, and I'm sure you guys all do too :)

I just hatched a Pokémon and named it Prism, no problems:
34qw9j5.png

I don't know what to tell you other than, try again using the same ROM dump as I am ("1636 - Pokemon Fire Red (U)(Squirrels).gba") and let me know if the problem persists.

The move issue you're talking about is probably because, as HidoranBlaze pointed out, it knew Helping Hand and that move's description was mistakenly overwritten (my fault).

Last edited:

Ammako

I hate you. You know who you are.
Years
  • Seen Feb 1, 2018
Hey, I've got an idea.
I think it would be easier if you put the MD5 of the original rom you are using in the first post, so that people can verify and make sure they do have the same one (because sometimes, different roms obtained from different places could have the same file name but be slightly different, you never know.)

Kakarot1212

Resident Programmer
Years
Hey, I've got an idea.
I think it would be easier if you put the MD5 of the original rom you are using in the first post, so that people can verify and make sure they do have the same one (because sometimes, different roms obtained from different places could have the same file name but be slightly different, you never know.)

Not many people know MD5. >_>

Oh and Btw CRush, is it normal that the shop in the virdian city sells nothing. I mean the merchant in the right. The one on the left sells only pokeballs and pots. And the other one sells nothing, his list is just full of "????" . Is that intended, or something like a bug?

Text

Wolf
Years
Played it again, it was very good. Although some minor text errors along the way.
+Rep.

Anrin Deo Avis

BlaZing with Desire
Years
[QUOTEI just hatched a Pokémon and named it Prism, no problems:
34qw9j5.png

I don't know what to tell you other than, try again using the same ROM dump as I am ("1636 - Pokemon Fire Red (U)(Squirrels).gba") and let me know if the problem persists.[/QUOTE]

From where do you get charmanders egg please tell

DXGhost

Dark Trainer
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 17, 2015
I definitely gotta say i enjoyed the hack greatly! Got through the beta within a day or so!
I was also having some trouble with the quick claw glitch, didn't realize what was going on until after i removed quick claw from my Honchkrow. Before that i was just saving frequently so it didn't effect much, worst case was just having to evolve my Magneton again.

But do have a quick but maybe kinda dumb question. Does anyone know where to find the Old Rod? I have the Good and Super Rod, but according to the location guide, i need an old rod to find a Feebas. Wanna catch certain pokemon while i can before the final version is out to kill some time haha, been mostly just drilling through the game with the same team

Iceman3k

Kickin' it Tribal GO Style
Years
To verify, the ROM I used was just "Pokemon Fire Red.GBA". I'll probably should do some searching for one of the matching filename. Maybe it might make a difference in what I'm about to bring up.

- Reckless Ability Hitmonlee has a longer delay before launching any attack (or moreso, animation)
- Using Double Hit freezes the game (could be another Reckless mishap, I'll have to think of another Pokemon that can use Double Hit to further verify)

It could be a matching ROM thing possibly, but I haven't had any other problems with the game aside from that (except the Helping Hand attack description error that was already mentioned through this thread, but that's super minor)

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
I'll say this again, please only report glitches that happen with "1636 - Pokemon Fire Red (U)(Squirrels)" as a base.

Hey, I've got an idea.
That's a good idea, but I don't know what an MD5 is, and the FireRed ROM I have was downloaded a looonng time ago.

Not many people know MD5. >_>

Oh and Btw CRush, is it normal that the shop in the virdian city sells nothing. I mean the merchant in the right. The one on the left sells only pokeballs and pots. And the other one sells nothing, his list is just full of "????" . Is that intended, or something like a bug?
I am not having those problems at all, this is the Viridian City Poké Mart in Beta 2:
5lXsdwH.png

What ROM dump are you using? I said to please verify your ROM dump before reporting a glitch.

And the main cashier is supposed to sell only Potions and Poké Balls before the first badge, just like in Pokémon Black, White, Black 2, White 2, X, and Y.

ok i used a gameshark code for all hms for the bug but i wont cheat again i just want to play the gamme >.<
You know, you could have just waited until Beta 2.1 where you can get Surf regardless of whether you could/couldn't get it in Beta 2.0.

I just hatched a Pokémon and named it Prism, no problems:
34qw9j5.png

I don't know what to tell you other than, try again using the same ROM dump as I am ("1636 - Pokemon Fire Red (U)(Squirrels).gba") and let me know if the problem persists.

From where do you get charmanders egg please tell
You put a Charmander/Charmeleon/Charizard in the daycare with a compatible Pokémon.

I definitely gotta say i enjoyed the hack greatly! Got through the beta within a day or so!
I was also having some trouble with the quick claw glitch, didn't realize what was going on until after i removed quick claw from my Honchkrow. Before that i was just saving frequently so it didn't effect much, worst case was just having to evolve my Magneton again.

But do have a quick but maybe kinda dumb question. Does anyone know where to find the Old Rod? I have the Good and Super Rod, but according to the location guide, i need an old rod to find a Feebas. Wanna catch certain pokemon while i can before the final version is out to kill some time haha, been mostly just drilling through the game with the same team
You can get the Old Rod in Cerulean City.

To verify, the ROM I used was just "Pokemon Fire Red.GBA". I'll probably should do some searching for one of the matching filename. Maybe it might make a difference in what I'm about to bring up.

- Reckless Ability Hitmonlee has a longer delay before launching any attack (or moreso, animation)
- Using Double Hit freezes the game (could be another Reckless mishap, I'll have to think of another Pokemon that can use Double Hit to further verify)

It could be a matching ROM thing possibly, but I haven't had any other problems with the game aside from that (except the Helping Hand attack description error that was already mentioned through this thread, but that's super minor)
I haven't checked Reckless, but I just tested Double Hit and it works fine, and did not freeze:
hrsmXEg.png

So it's most likely your ROM base. EDIT: I just checked Reckless and turns out the Reckless delay does happen on mine too, so I'll let MrDollSteak know about that. If a fix can't be done, I'll just remove Reckless from the game.

Again, please only report glitches that occur on "1636 - Pokemon Fire Red (U)(Squirrels)" as a base, that way I'll know for sure that it would occur on mine.

Why is there even the stupid "you can't post your ROM file" rule? I mean, for simple small byte changes I can understand why patches would be better, but for larger patches (such as DarkViolet's 2.55mb patch), I don't see the value in patching, especially if it causes problems with users who don't have the same ROM file. It's not fair to people that are experiencing glitches just because they have a different ROM dump, and I'm not going to make a patch for every ROM dump because I don't know how many ROM dumps there are.

One thing I really appreciate about the Sonic the Hedgehog hacking community is that because almost all of them are disassembly hacks (meaning they reverse-engineered the ROM back to code, allowing them to recompile the code, which is far more stable than ROM hacking, which is pretty much hex editing but with tools), they can't use patches at all. They don't have a choice but to post the ROM file that the creator has, and as a result, everyone who tries it out is playing the exact same file, so all glitches found are universal rather than exclusive to a single ROM dump.

Even though Gen III Pokémon hacking is nowhere near the disassembly stage at this point, I believe the people at Skeetendo are working on a disassembly for Red and Crystal. What is PokéCommunity going to do if someone makes a Gen III disassembly? Because then no one who made their hack via disassembly would be able to post their hack, because the only option then would be for the hacker's ROM file.

I'm just getting frustrated at people reporting glitches that aren't in my ROM, and I would love for you guys to download my exact ROM file so that you can see that these glitches aren't actually there.

For now, please only report a glitch if it occurs on "1636 - Pokemon Fire Red (U)(Squirrels).gba" as a base. However, if the glitch involves a Pokémon's ability during battle, feel free to report it because there was a lot of stuff that had to be changed for the new abilities to work.

I know that it's tedious to find the exact FireRed ROM, but that's the only way you'll have the exact 16mb of bytes that make up my ROM. If PokéCommunity doesn't lift their stupid "no ROMs" rule, for the final release I'll probably just post the ROM file at places where it's allowed so you guys can play the exact same game that I have prepared.

Last edited:
Back