• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Negrek

Am I more than you bargained for yet?
Years
On another note, if my memory doesn't fail me (again), there has been multiple mentions about Zubat/Golbat sucking blood of other Pokémon and even humans. And Ekans eats the eggs of Pidgey or something. Oh, and Feraligatr's entry says this: "When it bites with its massive and powerful jaws, it shakes its head and savagely tears its victim up." (from Bulbapedia) So, it does eat meat! But what meat? Do they have to be so vague about this?
Well, duh, kids would get traumatized if ther Feraligatr was told to eat Pikachus or something...
Vagueness gives you more latitude. If you want to have pokémon eat other pokémon, do it. If you don't, then you don't have to. You mentioned yourself that we basically never see normal animals in the pokémon world; this implies that if they exist, they are scarce (at least the kinds that one would notice, anyway), or it's related to what Xanthine mentioned earlier--because the focus of the characters in various canons is so much on pokémon, they ignore the normal animals in favor of the more specialer ones, and so don't notice the mundane sorts.

It's up to you, really. Either interpretation can work, so long as you back it appropriately. There are other animals in canon, as Astinus pointed out; what you want to do with that is your call, as the issue is something that just isn't explored.

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
Years
Some one help me plz!

I'm writing a class room scene, and I need to know: If you were about to go catch your first pokemon, what would you ask your teacher just before you left?

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
Years
  • Seen Jan 1, 2023
If you were about to go catch your first pokemon, what would you ask your teacher just before you left?

Normally, in a usual plot like this, I'd expect the student to leave the room and as he/she opens the door, the teacher says the kid's name and gives him some advice that's really cliché, like, remember to use a Poké Ball or something.

But if it was me asking, I'd get the teacher to tell me the first Pokémon he/she captured. I like delving into people's histories. Or maybe I'd ask for some sort of advice, depending on what mood I was in.

Last edited:

Bay

Years
I have people eat Pokemon in my fics (remembers duncan's comment about Farfetch'd soup XD; ). The way I see it, in the Pokemon world animals don't really exist and most of the time I call Absol a wolf Pokemon, etc (seeing they are of a wolf breed but people call them Absol). As for insects and prey, they are the nomral Pokemon like Catapie, but smaller size (IMO some Pokemon can be larger or smaller than what it says in the Pokedex, like how the Ninetales in my fic is smaller than an average one).

If you were about to go catch your first pokemon, what would you ask your teacher just before you left?

I guess I would ask these questions:

"Professor, which is the safest place to catch a Pokemon for a beginner student like me? Also, which Pokemon are best for a starting trainer?"

Negrek

Am I more than you bargained for yet?
Years

Probably just if he or she knew of any good places to find pokémon nearby, or if they had any tips. To be honest, I doubt I'd ask anything at all, but if I'm forced by the premise to ask something, that would be it.

Sunnybeam

when the sky is bright
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 9, 2011
Pokemon as food? Well, in My Name Is Fuega, Pokemon do eat each other in the wild. I have an upcoming scene planned where Fuega, delirious with hunger, is about to kill and eat a Rattata on instinct when she comes to her senses and is revolted at her own carnivorous thoughts (having only eaten Pokechow before.)

In T6W, I didn't plan to incorporate the subject, but I might touch briefly on the Veilstone Myth and the trio of short fables in the Canalave Library (pick the bones clean!) I'm thinking that non-intelligent strains of some Pokemon species may have been bred in some point in history (when the human and Pokemon cultures began to intertwine), and are still domesticated for meat in the present.

Ah, the Delta series...the TCG is so amazingly versatile, being...well...a card game. In the TCG-verse I developed, both animals and Pokemon exist (Pokemon being simply animals that evolved to adapt to an Energy-laden envionment.) It kinda solves all of the problems of species classifications and food sources and such. Eating a Pokemon in this 'verse would get you executed, since Pokemon are fully sentient.

Also, a thought on the topic of food. So maybe some people become vegetarian so as not to offend their Pokemon...but what is they have a Cherrim or something...?

...Bulbasaur salad. -brick'd-

...Me? I'm too much of a coward to even think of becoming a Trainer, but on the off-chance that I actually gave it a try...I'd ask for a step-by-step walkthrough on how to use a Pokeball. I...I'm accident-prone. Let's leave it at that. >___<

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
I just remembered, since everyone was talking about insects, that in the third episode of the anime, Pidgeotto was shown to be eating a worm. Not any sort of really small Caterpie, but an actual earthworm.

Ha! And while brushing my teeth, I remembered that in at least two episodes of the Kanto days, there were mentions of "cheeseburgers", and one time those cheeseburgers were to be covered in bacon. So, like, someone want to toss out theories about where those burgers and bacon are to come from? Or the eggs Brock-o was going to cook in the same episode?

Probably nothing. I would think that if one was in school with a teacher that knows about capturing Pokemon, that the basics were taught. How to actually do so, and perhaps some simple hints. Just like I would also think that after growing up in the area for ten years (or however long), that I would know what Pokemon were seen around, and so would know which ones to catch.

Last edited:

An-chan

Whoops.
Years
I just thought of something!
What if the earthworms and random sparrows and laydubugs and the like are indeed Pokémonish, as in they can use "moves", but they're just so damn weak they're completely unusable by humans and therefore don't even have a Pokédex entry? You know, they can fight each other but are no match for real Pokémon. Nor can their abilities be used for purposes such as mining or something of the like.
Just try and teach Surf to an earthworm and then ride it across a river...

I'm only keeping this up because I simply love the idea of microscopic amoeba Pokémon. You know, phytoplankton fighting for living space with tiny electric shocks or the ability to resist psychic attacs by another species of algae or something. As a future biologhist, I just can't put this idea aside.

I'm nuts. That's what I am.

Depends on the teacher. If I hated the teacher and I knew I'd never go back to school again because I would leave for a journey or something, I'd ask something incredibly rude. Like, say "I'd like to catch a Snorlax... You don't happen to know where to find some? Like, say, are there any in your family?"

But if I liked the teacher, I'd probably do what Rekhyt said and ask about his/her first catch. I'd probably stay there long after the class talking to my teacher and asking further questions so I'd know her/his whole story (of the first catch) before leaving. I might even ask him/her to join me for giving advice. Then I'd go and mess up the whole thing. I'd probably end in the ball myself or something. And if I were to succeed, the Pokémon would be the weakest, slowest and stupidest one around.

My luck is like that.

By the way, this was my 200th post \o/ I'm no longer even remotely new here! Rejoice!

Scarlet Weather

The Game is Afoot!
Years

"How do I look?"

No, seriously. That'd be the last thing I'd ask. Nothing about sage advice, not "what does this button do?", nothing. Just a quick question about my appearance, because if I'm going to go out into the world alone and start a journey into the unknown, I don't want to find out that my fly is open five minutes into it. If I'm going on a Pokemon journey, I'd like to at least look good doing it, dammit. >.<

DGexe

Taunter
Years
XD I like that answer, AC. *chuckles*

... How am I going to catch it if I don't even have a Pokemon myself?

TO which the answer might be, "Remember those creative-first-catch lessons I taught you?" to which I'd be all "... WTF you were serious about those?! Aaaw, man!". I don't see a lot of fics where one's first "catch" is creative. I think as creative as any of mine has been was the befriending the gastly without getting cursed or licked one...

That involved a lot of good pranks on the to-be-trainer's parents. Ahem, but really... yeah, that's what I'd ask.

Bay

Years
I assume how you got the Pokemon is from the school itself. *shrugs*

Hm, as for those anime explanations on the food thing...the cheeseburgers I think they come from Milktank or Tauros. As for the worm thing...perhaps an under develop Pokemon? XD;

Now I think about it, there are small worms and fishes in anime. Heck, my very old Spearow card has the bird eating a worm. XD; Hadn't really thought about that too much since I already set the world of people and Pokemon getting their food from Pokemon themselves. That, and so far only worms and fishes are the real animals I see in the anime and cards at least. If I were to decide to have real worms and fishes instead, I guess I can just call them underdevelop Pokemon because they don't have elemental moves like the other Pokemon.

...I think I'm just rambling. XD;

Scarlet Weather

The Game is Afoot!
Years
Well, guess I shouldn't say this since I haven't had time to write the next chapter of Thief in a while, but...

Spoiler:

And that's it. XD

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
Years
I don't see a lot of fics where one's first "catch" is creative. I think as creative as any of mine has been was the befriending the gastly without getting cursed or licked one...

That involved a lot of good pranks on the to-be-trainer's parents. Ahem, but really... yeah, that's what I'd ask.

Who said the the first attempt actually succeeds, in fact, in my fic, it fails, and miserably.

Anyways, I asked one of my friends what he would ask and he said: "Do I just throw it at its face or..."

And the character, is not leaving on a journey just yet. She is simply doing a school assignment.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years

"I mean, honestly, what do you do with a BA in English?"

At which point, I would walk out the door and undoubtedly be considered as having dropped out of college on "permanent psychiatric leave."

Seriously, though, for your story, it depends on what leads up to it and what the teacher-student relationship is actually like. If you hated your teacher and didn't get a Pokemon from them, I don't think you'd be asking anything at all. You'd probably want to just go out there and attempt said assignment without any help. Or, you would seek help but not from that particular teacher. Otherwise, it depends on what information the student needs and what the conversation leading up to the final question is. Somehow, I think it'd be a little awkward if the student was asking where to aim, mostly because I'm sure that if Ash Ketchum could figure out how to throw a Poke Ball, it's probably a basic in that world.

Scarlet Weather

The Game is Afoot!
Years
"I mean, honestly, what do you do with a BA in English?"

I wish I could ask my teachers that. *cries*

We're in the same boat here. I want a Liberal Arts degree, so I'm going to either have to get very good at some sort of trade skill or go off and start a business. Either way, I don't think it's going to work out well.

Bay

Years
I think a BA in English you can either:

-Be an English teacher or go forward with a MBA/PhD and become a professor of English (have one friend considering doing that
-Novel writer
-Journalism
-An Editor

That's the think I can think of on the top of my head.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
I remember reading a long time ago that a lot of companies are looking for Liberal Art degree carrying people for their communication skills. (I obviously don't have one.) Like, those who go for Liberal Arts degrees learn how to communicate with others easier, or something like that. And there are other pluses for Liberal Arts majors.

And now I am once again ostracized for probably being one of the few other people here in the minority that is a writer, but is not going for a Liberal Arts degree. I mean, I'm going for Health Inspection when I go back to school.

Aw yeah. Closing down supermarkets and ghetto restaurants. Best job ever.

Volkner's Apprentice

PC Veteran Prize Fighter
Years
I think a BA in English you can either:

-Be an English teacher or go forward with a MBA/PhD and become a professor of English (have one friend considering doing that
-Novel writer
-Journalism
-An Editor

That's the think I can think of on the top of my head.

You could also go into medicine ^___^ haha, kind of. Medical schools, generally, will accept people from all types of majors and degrees if you want to be there. Though I doubt that's what a person in an English field would be looking for. O_o..

Meep, don't hurt me..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back