• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Roleplay Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cirrus

dreaming a transient dream.
Years
(So much detail ... must write more details ... /cry)

Taking a break from writing background information for Litany - writing an RP is tiring. I strongly believe in the fact that making the world come alive is one of the most important aspects of a roleplay, and making your own fantasy setting ... well, one can imagine how that usually goes.

At which point do you people think there's "enough" information for an RP? I mean, uh, as a preliminary sort of starting point, of course, so that people can write SUs and get acquainted with the setting and so forth. (You can never have enough information, really, which is why I'm asking)

Discuss.

Sapphire Rose

[I]Only thorns left on this rose.[/I]
Years
I am now interested if its based of R+V cept the anime blows compared to the manga. How a like is it!? DO TELL!?

hmmm... not sure how much it is related... but ALOT, concidering that i also allowed a human in the academy, and the "Fairytale" plot is also in it, AND people are allowed to make a Fairytale member. I made up a history on my own though, like there was some war between the humans and the Youkai. I did this since the Manga doesn't really tell you WHY the Youkai's and Humans don't coexist anymore. So... It's pretty much alike, but since i edited ALOT to the actual history i called in "Youkai Academy" and not "R+V: Youkai Academy" or something like that ^^; THOUGHHHHHHHH, all the pictures by the descriptions of the Youkai's are Pictures from either the Manga or the Anime.

Shortly said, when you see it, you decide how much it's alike :P

In order to even be considered close to acceptable on this Forum it would need like 95% less boobs, and then there's the question: Is it during, after, before, or alternate to the anime/manga?

I think it's alternate... since a made up the history. ^ more information there XD

^^;; Those are questions you should be asking Pink. She's the one who submitted the RP! Sorry Pink <3

So, I asked just recently. How does everyone feel about a Kid Icarus RP? You get to be a Fighter. You could be on either the Light or Dark team, & fight as an individual during a free-for-all match. There's also a plot too. I imagine it as a sandbox-RP.

For those who don't know about Fighters:
15020_45_lg.jpg

Like I said, I won't create the RP unless lots of people want to enter my RP. Any opinions?

thanks for answering most questions :3 don't worry~ i'll forgive youuu <3

I think you told me the plot once, so sure ^^ I'll join :)

Satan.EXE

King of the Hell
Years
  • Age 29
  • C:\
  • Seen Jun 12, 2015
So, I have this fantastic idea for an /original/ RP, but I know that, with the Roleplays I'm in, as well as HYRULE (Which could use players, you Zelda fans out there), I won't be able to control another RP at this moment.I do plan to create it in the future, but just to give you a taste, here's a nice hinting quote.​

"Millions of spiritual creatures walk the earth
Unseen, both when we wake and when we sleep."

~John Milton

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
At which point do you people think there's "enough" information for an RP? I mean, uh, as a preliminary sort of starting point, of course, so that people can write SUs and get acquainted with the setting and so forth. (You can never have enough information, really, which is why I'm asking)

Discuss.
I'm not a big fan of too much detail. It might be me being a lazy RPer lately :p but I feel that if you dictate too much already in the first post, you won't have as much freedom when creating a character and expanding the plot later on when players start making their characters come alive and their actions matter. I bet there are many who disagree with me, but that's how I feel :]

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Jun 19, 2016
Mythological creatures hiding in a modern world sounds like WoD to me, but I obviously don't know as much about your setting as you. d:

Would you care to divulge the "theme" of the setting?

Satan.EXE

King of the Hell
Years
  • Age 29
  • C:\
  • Seen Jun 12, 2015
Mythological creatures hiding in a modern world sounds like WoD to me, but I obviously don't know as much about your setting as you. d:

Would you care to divulge the "theme" of the setting?

I don't want to splurge it all at once; so I'll probably spit out a few hints as time passes, in this thread. I suppose I can answer one more.

Hm, I want to hint at it, but still keep it raveled in mystery. How about this for an answer:

It takes place in the real world, but from a perspective you'll never know to exist.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Jun 19, 2016
I meant something more along the lines of "Cosmic horror", "Ancient conspiracies", "Modern fairy tale", etc.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
I'm not a big fan of too much detail. It might be me being a lazy RPer lately :p but I feel that if you dictate too much already in the first post, you won't have as much freedom when creating a character and expanding the plot later on when players start making their characters come alive and their actions matter. I bet there are many who disagree with me, but that's how I feel :]

Kinda, sorta the opposite myself, but that only happens when I have SO MUCH ENERGY and when my imagination goes super crazy. xD

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Kinda, sorta the opposite myself, but that only happens when I have SO MUCH ENERGY and when my imagination goes super crazy. xD

Yeah, I usually have tons of notes and long texts and lists of planning and details somewhere else when I create a RP ^^ That's good to have, I think! But right now I'm believing that it's not always necessary to shower the new players with all the information at once. The world and the plot can be explored bit for bit and what they need to know in the first post is basically what they want to know; the setting and what they'll be doing in the RP. The setting can of course be expanded upon endlessly, depending on what kind of RP it is ^^ And it's sort of necessary to provide information on classes, races, nations etc. if the players are going to sign up as one thing or the other. But long histories and political systems and religious details... those I would rather introduce in case a player asks or if they happen to come across a place or person whom it concerns IC. Perhaps a monk they meet could tell them about religions. Or maybe the history of a nation could become known when it becomes relevant for a person or the plot.

Still not saying that I'm "right", here! Just my thoughts :3

VictoriaNovus

Queen of Time
Years
I have this idea for a plot in the making and, well, I didn't know where else to turn. I have a baseline idea that I think is a good starting point but I need aspects to help push it over the edge and really grab people's attention. Anyway, so it is set in an original region I refer to as the Anona Region, and more particularly in Chronography Town. In the Anona Region, the cities have more to do with general themes rather than just a specific Pokemon type. I also would like my character Victoria (the namesake of this account) to be the gym leader but I wasn't sure if that seemed to powerful or not. Nevertheless, in order for this plot to be accepted, I need something more than just a "come and face the gym leader" type of plot. For example: a big event that the characters would have to deal with.

In addition, not the greatest when it comes to coding and visual aesthetics, so I was wondering if anyone would also be willing to help with that (with appropriate credit given of course to all help). This is more or less an advertisement post as well seeing if anyone would be willing to join when this gets up and running. I'm sorry if I sound needy or childish in any way.

Please send me a Vm or Pm if you wish to help.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
I have this idea for a plot in the making and, well, I didn't know where else to turn. I have a baseline idea that I think is a good starting point but I need aspects to help push it over the edge and really grab people's attention. Anyway, so it is set in an original region I refer to as the Anona Region, and more particularly in Chronography Town. In the Anona Region, the cities have more to do with general themes rather than just a specific Pokemon type. I also would like my character Victoria (the namesake of this account) to be the gym leader but I wasn't sure if that seemed to powerful or not. Nevertheless, in order for this plot to be accepted, I need something more than just a "come and face the gym leader" type of plot. For example: a big event that the characters would have to deal with.

In addition, not the greatest when it comes to coding and visual aesthetics, so I was wondering if anyone would also be willing to help with that (with appropriate credit given of course to all help). This is more or less an advertisement post as well seeing if anyone would be willing to join when this gets up and running. I'm sorry if I sound needy or childish in any way.

Please send me a Vm or Pm if you wish to help.
I can help if you want to spiff up your opening post with css ;) Unless you find someone more skilled, of course.

This is the exact right place to turn to if you need help with anything regarding RPs. Hm, so you want to make a RP that focuses on coming to your city and facing the gym leader? Maybe the leader could be corrupted or possessed, or maybe the gym could be overtaken by an "evil team" or other antagonist organisation and the trainers who had planned to face the gym leader have to sneak into the occupied town and make their way to the gym and free the leader using their wits and skills and cooperation. /more or less useless brainstormlol

The reason I'm replying in this thread instead of VM/PM is so that others can comment/help. Many times have we discussed and formed plots here. But if you'd rather that people contacted you less openly, that's fine I guess ^^

Cirrus

dreaming a transient dream.
Years
Yeah, I usually have tons of notes and long texts and lists of planning and details somewhere else when I create a RP ^^ That's good to have, I think! But right now I'm believing that it's not always necessary to shower the new players with all the information at once. The world and the plot can be explored bit for bit and what they need to know in the first post is basically what they want to know; the setting and what they'll be doing in the RP. The setting can of course be expanded upon endlessly, depending on what kind of RP it is ^^ And it's sort of necessary to provide information on classes, races, nations etc. if the players are going to sign up as one thing or the other. But long histories and political systems and religious details... those I would rather introduce in case a player asks or if they happen to come across a place or person whom it concerns IC. Perhaps a monk they meet could tell them about religions. Or maybe the history of a nation could become known when it becomes relevant for a person or the plot.

Still not saying that I'm "right", here! Just my thoughts :3

These are very good thoughts, actually, and definitely ones that I agree with! Nobody is a fan of including too much information in the first post. It's just that the boundary between need-to-know and interesting miscellany is blurred in some places ... for example, places and innovations are something that people do need to know about, but how much of it do they need to know? How much background should be provided on the materials and technologies of the world? And so on and so forth.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
@VictoriaNovus - What is Chronography Town's significance in Anona? What does it do for the region, or the world, on the whole? The reason I ask this is because establishing the profile of the main setting will make developing the plot on the whole much easier, even if it is simply an ordinary town.

Vato

This Is Our Last Goodbye
Years
@Vato: I have been looking forward to a good sci-fi RP and your plot sounds pretty okay to me. What I'm actually curious about is the planet itself. And of course how the 10 humans link to the mysterious threat.

Well, it's still on some early stages, since I have lots of stuff to come up with first. But you see, this bacteria that spread in th planets suface and produced life out of thin air was a self thinking being with an incredible knowledge and understanding of the universe way before it spread in the planet. As such, it knew what it's mission was, and how to achieve it. It then realized that it had to preserve the beautiful creations it had made whatever the cost. It was the responsible for the crash of the spaceship that contained these ten people, but not for the fun of it...

Just before the spaceship entered the planets atmosphere, a mysterious space virus (not Deoxys) managed its way inside of the spaceship without being noticed. The bacteria, that by this time denominated itself as the Skyfall (no relation with Adele) knew that it couldnt allow this virus to enter, and thus provoqued the crash with some time and space bending shenanigans. It, however, didn't murder the ones aboard the spaceship, it just send them... Somewhere else in the planet, since it wasn't their fault that the virus was getting close to the surface.

Yet the virus survived, and began spreading around the planet. With more time and space bending shenanigans, the Skyfall brings more people into the planet (still to decide the amount) because, well, what kind of world would it be if everything is destroyed? One the Skyfall wouldn't allow, of course...

I still have to expand this and explain why the Skyfall can do what it does, but that's pretty much a rough draft. The people in the spaceship were just at the wrong time, wrong place.

Last edited:

VictoriaNovus

Queen of Time
Years
Okay, since multiple people have replied I will just respond in general. First, all the cities/ towns in Anona have significance in the region in that they have reign over the aspects on which they represent. For the example of Chronography Town, they represent time, and work all of its machinations throughout the region. (This comes from a very complicated story I'm writing where this species essentially works all of being in a similar manner.)
Second, I wanted the gym leader to be a generally friendly character, but I am open to changing that for the sake of a working plot. I was thinking of something having to do with time paradoxes. However, I would be very grateful for the help with the css.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
Okay, since multiple people have replied I will just respond in general. First, all the cities/ towns in Anona have significance in the region in that they have reign over the aspects on which they represent. For the example of Chronography Town, they represent time, and work all of its machinations throughout the region. (This comes from a very complicated story I'm writing where this species essentially works all of being in a similar manner.)
Second, I wanted the gym leader to be a generally friendly character, but I am open to changing that for the sake of a working plot. I was thinking of something having to do with time paradoxes. However, I would be very grateful for the help with the css.
Ah. Well I can tell that you want to go vague on the details, so I won't ask questions too specific, but this does raise another question. I understand that each city/town encompasses a theme and each theme represents what the ciry or town controls, so here's my next question: how exactly does the town or city have control over such aspects? Is it via legendaries/pokemon, machines, actual powers, etc.?

VictoriaNovus

Queen of Time
Years
Ah. Well I can tell that you want to go vague on the details, so I won't ask questions too specific, but this does raise another question. I understand that each city/town encompasses a theme and each theme represents what the ciry or town controls, so here's my next question: how exactly does the town or city have control over such aspects? Is it via legendaries/pokemon, machines, actual powers, etc.?

I can be more specific if needed. However, originally the gym leaders were gods and had gifts over the aspect that their country represented. Victoria was one of three sisters that ruled over time, space and, dreams, he being time of course. For the sake of I don't know what exactly, I shrunk it down to a singular region. I may or may not keep the god-like aspects but if I remove them, it will most likely be the Pokemon in charge of whichever element. As you can see, I tried to make Victoria's team somewhat having to do with time, without the use of legendaries. If I were to violate this personal rule of omitting legendaries from teams, I would have include Celebi and Dialga.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back