• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Are Pokémon people?

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
I've been thinking about this lately. You see, Pokémon are probably more than really funny-looking monsters that happen to look like some kind of real life animal or a mythological creature. Or some inanimate object that happens to be living (up to a certain degree).

Their behaviour these days are very human-like when you think about it, or in case of Mystery Dungeon, exactly. Hmm...

Makes me wonder if Pokémon qualify to be people.

Years
Well seeing as most Pokemon resemble animals and humans are just another species of animal then yes... people are Pokemon :O

Perhaps humans are just very advanced Pokemon, Alakazam for example is very intelligent and probably could (if it chooses too) take over the world. So it is possible that one species of advanced Pokemon could rule over the others, such as Humans.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
In a way, it might depend on if you theorize like ScoSap does, or not. If humans and pokémon evolved from a common ancestor (as pokémon religion seem to say I think) then humans are just more culturally and technologically advanced but otherwise the same. And as such, you could call pokémon people too if you want.

But I think I'd prefer to not refer to them as people. In most incarnations they are meant to replace the animals of the world, or at least co-exist with animals but on the same level and terms as they do. Except for their magic powers and ability to bond with humans more intelligently. They still aren't really people, as people are humans.

Years
  • Seen Nov 4, 2017
Well there is a huge possibility that that may be true, according to Platinum that is. You may not know but in our Japanese version of Pokemon Platinum in a Library it says " There once were Pokemon that married People. There once were People that married Pokemon. This was normal because long ago people and Pokemon were the same." That and Kadabra's Pokedex entry.

ShivaDF

The Scooter-riding Artist
Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2017
" There once were Pokemon that married People. There once were People that married Pokemon. This was normal because long ago people and Pokemon were the same."
Also in the Sinnoh myths, it's said that there was a pokémon that shed its skin to walk as a human. So humans are probably just a branch of pokémon.

Racket

The TCG Professor
Years
This provides a pretty good overview of the theory: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjnPyGFYKrI

Though I wouldn't say that Pokemon are people. It's more like the otherway around.

Though, pokemon seem to be able to set up human-like towns (If you've played mystery dungeon). I'm not sure how cannon those games are though.

Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2023
I don't believe that Pokemon are people, though some kind of resemble people like Alakazam, Jynx and Machoke. I think it's the other way around too, I could see some Pokemon turning humans into Pokemon. Malamar can control people, and I could see mind control and other powers creating other Pokemon. It's scary to think about.

Mylabugz

Mylakip
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jun 16, 2017
Wow I never thought of that. Maybe that's why Hypno (from the creepypasta lullaby) takes the children to transform/train them into being pokemon (I'm joking). That would explain pokemon mystery dungeon alot if pokemon were people. If pokemon were people, do they remember everything they learned when being human? Cause if that's true and if I was a human who turned into a pokemon I'd be like Pikachu was to Ash in the beginning and refuse to do any of their bidding/battling. lol :D

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Aug 16, 2014
I've actually heard of this theory, and I agree with it. There is enough in the games and show to say this is most likely true.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I've always imagined Pokémon to have more intelligence than actual animals. Many of them could equal to humans in terms of that, or perhaps even surpass. Judging from their interaction in anime and manga, their feelings seem to be as strong as people's, and always seem to be aware of what they're doing, who they're talking with, and so forth. They even have ability to understand human language, supposedly, as they always respond to their trainers' commands when battling. Of course, some animals would do the same, but Pokémon seem to be more... I don't know, understandable, I suppose?

Splash

But nothing happened.
Years
Pokemon are pokemon.. Humans and Pokemon for me were like separated entities that came from the same species as before.. Not much of the civilization before has been talked about in the games but I believed that there was once a middle area where pokemon and humans were combined in their world.

~Momo~

Snorlaxin'
Years
Well I think perhaps Pokemon are somewhere between animal and people. Not quite on the emotional/mental level of a person but obviously beyond that of a simple minded animal.

The problem is that in the Pokemon universe, Pokemon kind of replace animals and unfortunately humans kind of eat them (or its implied) which makes this whole theory just beyond creepy.

Back