• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Cultural Influence

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
Throughout the games we have seen various influences of different types of culture. Whether if it is physical influences like architecture, or from different types of pop culture (which has had influences on the creation of different Pokémon), and mythology (creating the bases of many of the different legendary Pokémon). With the first four generations we saw a heavy reflection of Japanese culture, while in generation five we saw a shift over to a broader influence, including some American aspects into the games.

With the new generation and it's supposed reference point being Europe (and more specifically France), what influences do you think the games will pull from? We have already seen some architecture influences, but what about pop culture and mythology? Do you think that there will be Pokémon created on any European legends? Any other things they could pull influence into? Discuss!

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
French Cuisine and in general the culinary arts from various corners of Europe, including the Mediterranean diet hopefully will lead to some sort of cooking minigame with your Pokemon. Its the only cultural bit I want in the games besides the architecture.

Years
I think we'll see a general expansion of influences, like what we saw in BW, only more so. If they want to pull from Europe and not just France, there's no end to the legends and myths and everything. I mean, they took the story of the three musketeers and made legendary Pokemon from them. Could we see a Napoleon inspired Pokemon? (Like some sea-creature with a shell shaped like Napoleon's hat) Or maybe one based on the Hunchback of Notre Dame? Yeah, I can easily see some specifically European-inspired ones, but I think that the way they make their Pokemon is more of an ongoing process so that there are probably going to be some 'mons in XY that were considered for BW, but didn't make the cut for whatever reason and I wouldn't expect them to have any connection to Europe.

Years
  • Seen Apr 7, 2014
Could we see a Napoleon inspired Pokemon?
Empoleon says hi.

I have no doubt that the legendaries and other critters of this new region will be based on the legends of all sorts of other places as well as Europe or France or whatever this region is based on. The American region had yin-yang dragons, of all things, so obviously Gamefreak doesn't see any point in limiting themselves to local inspirations.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
I've said this on another thread, but, art is quite a popular aspect in France, so, maybe this region will be highly influenced by art? Maybe there will be pokemon that can be influenced by art (other than Smeargle). Perhaps royalty can be an influence as well, since Europe was often regarded as a royal stature? Maybe we'll see some more king and queen pokemon?

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
I could definitely see food and art being large influences maybe on what is going on in the towns as we progress through the games. A lot of restaurants lining the streets, art galleries, anything of that kind. As far mythology goes, I really love what Scarf pointed out with a lot of different types of Pokémon. Maybe there won't be any that got rejected last game (of course it's still possible), but who knows!

Years
I would love if there was an awesome gigantic museam based on the Louvre or something! Also, I could see something like... Eurovision (in place of contests?) and also maybe some kind of soccer football related thing? It'd be awesome if there were mons created based on european legends, especially greek mythology. (although that seems unlikely) But pokemon based off of goblins and trolls and redcaps or whatever else there is would be cool! In terms of other things, it'd be cool if each town/city represented a different country in terms of architecture, so like villas for Italy or something? Or maybe gyms would be based on the different countries in the EU. As for pokemon... there could be one based on crepes? ;; ew that was a weak idea lol

Last edited:

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
I honestly wouldn't just limit myself to France guys...
Europe has plenty of different countries, with different cultures and custom. I would love if GF applied this to the games. A city based off Paris/France would be a very big city, full of glamour and shops, with artsy people and maybe a museum. A city based off germany should have a big forest around it, maybe even with a castle. Spain, Portugal or Italy could be an inspiration for beach cities or islands in X/Y. Europe is so diverse, I'd love if we got to see that in the Games as well!

Years
Also, I could see something like... Eurovision
Pokévision.

And crepe Pokemon? Maybe not that and only that, but I've always wanted more food-based Pokemon. Silly as that is, there could be some 'mons with food elements, like a cake with candles on the back of... I dunno, a turtle or something.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
Eurovision gone Pokémon would probably end up being rather cool. Plus food-based Pokémon might be rather...weird looking, but I'd be pretty open to it. Maybe an escargot based Pokémon going with the French/European theme?

.Aero

Tell Me I'm A Screwed Up Mess
Years
If France really is the game's inspiration I wouldn't be surprised to see a new snail family line this game. :] Would be neat considering I can't even think of a snail / slug family. Maybe Swalot is a bit slug-like but that's all I can think of.

Slugma / Magcargo

Well my idea's gone. :| Also Jake mentioned it in the post above. I just got too excited imaging an adorable snail-mon that isn't Magcargo. There's still a chance for one though. Maybe with Poison or Bug typing.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
Although they're snails, I'd still love to see another snail Pokémon. Something more natural instead of being Fire-based. And I agree, the cuter the better =P However if it's based on escargot that's probably not going to go for cute =P

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
If France really is the game's inspiration I wouldn't be surprised to see a new snail family line this game. :] Would be neat considering I can't even think of a snail / slug family. Maybe Swalot is a bit slug-like but that's all I can think of.

Slugma / Magcargo

Well my idea's gone. :| Also Jake mentioned it in the post above. I just got too excited imaging an adorable snail-mon that isn't Magcargo. There's still a chance for one though. Maybe with Poison or Bug typing.

Omanyte's beta name was Ess, and Omastar's was Kargo... so. I wouldn't wind another snail Pokémon though, we already have plenty of frogs.

I could see there being a couple of museums in X and Y though. I always enjoyed checking out all the fossils and art.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
Definitely would love some museums to explore. We sort of had that last generation with Lenora and her gym, but I'd just like to see some museums that are there just for aesthetic purposes. Would be fun to explore in the spare time we have from playing the game.

.Aero

Tell Me I'm A Screwed Up Mess
Years
Museums set up like the one in Animal Crossing could be neat. Collect "artifacts" or something while on your journey or donate money to the museum and it expands / gets more exhibits. That would be pretty neat. :]

Also Baguette pokemon plz. They gave us ice cream last gen, why not piss of people even more with a baguette-mon? (For the record, I don't even mind the ice cream line. I just think it's funny when people freak out about it :])

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
I actually love that idea. An on-going sidequest for something like that would actually be really interesting. I'd love to see the Underground brought back to incorporate with that as well, so you can find fossils or something to donate to the museum. Definitely would be something I'd spend time on!

Back