• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Development: The 4th gen class split in 3rd gen

Darthatron

巨大なトロール。
Years
Here's the hack for Emerald that I whipped up in about an hour. The little testing I did shows it to be working fine, but who knows. At least it's a base for someone. It uses the same byte as the FireRed hack (the second padding byte.)

kthx

Code:
0804674E: 80 7A
080695E8: 80 7A
08069A5A: 00 29
08069A5C: 00 D0
08069BC4: 01 2F
08069BC6: 00 DC
08069BCC: 01 28
08069BCE: 00 D0

Years
  • Seen Mar 26, 2013
You made it working with just those bytes alone?

I seriously can't doubt Jambo now.

Can someone test whether or not the bugs with my patch are still present in that change? I wanna find out if the bytes I copied were faulty or if it's the ROM itself. I'll make an IPS patch for Emerald for anyone too lazy to pick up a hex editor and do it themselves.

Edit: Man, looking back on it, it feels silly to upload a 41 byte file but...

http://srpgp.supersanctuary.net/emerdpss.ips

Does NOT include any attack data structure support. You will have to edit in actually changing the moves' phys/spec classification yourself.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Apr 29, 2012
please excuse my ignorance, I am the newest of noobs. How can I access the move data? What do I do with the ips file?

also thank you very much everyone for working on this.

Years
  • Seen Mar 26, 2013
Changing the moves requires some form of hex editing and a LOT of patience and time. I suggest looking here.

The IPS file is a patch. It's obvious you haven't dealt with ROM hacking for very long so I just suggest looking up "IPS Patch" on Google and waiting for someone to post another patch that deals with all the moves. I'd do it myself but I'm probably going to be testing and making sure this works (and hoping I'm not embarrassing myself and falling for a trap or something)

Years
  • Seen Apr 29, 2012
turns out I'm not only new, I'm also impatient and foolhardy.

I got the ips patch thing done.
I found a hex editor, and know what byte I should be changing, and I found where the moves start (at pound), but I don't know what all the moves are.

Is there some sort of table that shows this, similar to the fingerprint section in the link you posted? or at least a list of all the moves in order, so that I can go down the list and see which ones I want to make special or physical.

thanks in advance!

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
What about showing the little category image where necessary? Does anyone understand the code well enough to be able to draw an extra image on the screen. At the moment, the split is completely hidden from the eyes of the player.

To that end, I set all status moves on my patch as category 2 rather than 0, as status moves should never directly harm the opponent, this works as the damage calculation routines are never called when using the status moves.

Obviously, the plan would be to store the images somewhere in the Rom and when using them, check the category byte to get the correct image. Thing is, this requires us to know the game's procedure for writing images to the screen.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Years
I've found a DPSS patch for Japanese Emerald
After patching it to a Japanese Emerald, I've found the following:
attachment.php

The left one is the patched one and the right one is the original one.
It shows a few lines only...

For the first line, we can locate "00 06 00 28 07 D1 6E 20 41 46 41 43 08" at around 0x03D060 in an English Emerald.
I think it's possible to change the "6E" to "64", and then modify the rest using the same method....

Actually I don't know if that works, but a Chinese hacker has successfully implanted DPSS into an English Emerald. It may be a possible way to implant DPSS into an English Emerald, though it's quite troublesome...

Here I've attached the DPSS patch for Japanese Emerald. Hope that it can help.

Years
  • Seen Apr 29, 2012
That's nice and all but I tested this post's changes and they work quite perfectly. Without the same bugs as my fire red patch too.

do they? I don't mean to be rude to either you or Dathatron, but when I put the patch onto a fresh copy of emerald, the damage got waaaay too low!

I was dealing maybe 1 or 2 points per hit, against the very first lv. 2 Zigzagoon! And I'm sure it isn't my messing around with the hex tables, because like I said, I tried it on a completely fresh copy. and even when I then went in and cranked up scratch's base power and Torchic's attack stat, it still did little damage!

Years
  • Seen Mar 26, 2013
I just tried it myself. It works just fine. Even repatched my IPS file onto a fresh copy myself, it works exactly as it should. Are you sure your copy hasn't been fiddled with?

Years
  • Seen Apr 29, 2012
I just re-downloaded both the rom and the patch - same result as before. Could you upload a pre-patched version, ie, a copy of what you just got working properly?

Darthatron

巨大なトロール。
Years
do they? I don't mean to be rude to either you or Dathatron, but when I put the patch onto a fresh copy of emerald, the damage got waaaay too low!

I was dealing maybe 1 or 2 points per hit, against the very first lv. 2 Zigzagoon! And I'm sure it isn't my messing around with the hex tables, because like I said, I tried it on a completely fresh copy. and even when I then went in and cranked up scratch's base power and Torchic's attack stat, it still did little damage!

Like I said, I did it in about an hour, and I only tested it with Pound. So it's very possible I broke something. I'll have a look at it soon. :)

And you weren't being rude. But the values are 00 = Physical; 01 = Special; 02+ = Status; Anything that's given a value of 02 or higher will deal one damage.

Years
  • Seen Mar 26, 2013
I just re-downloaded both the rom and the patch - same result as before. Could you upload a pre-patched version, ie, a copy of what you just got working properly?

I think maybe you should give a look at the rules if you're asking such a question.

Years
  • Seen Mar 26, 2013
I believe so, since it no longer checks the type but the move in specific for what classification it uses.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Aug 8, 2021
Ohai thar. Lookie what I got.
http://www.mediafire.com/?ztqiczuu654osep
Physical/special split for Emerald, complete with move changes. Please ignore the changed Ralts family sprites, as I was silly and forgot to use a completely fresh ROM for the edits, ahurrhurr.
EDIT: Oh ffs. Special attacks work fine, but physical attacks are counted as status attacks, and do pathetic damage. I know I set physical attacks to 00 like I was supposed to... Didn't someone else have this problem?
EDIT2: I patched the engine by itself (as in, not my changed one) into a perfectly fresh rom (meaning all attacks are considered physical, or should be) and everything does absolutely pathetic damage. I think it's an issue with the patch. And of course, neither of the people who would know what's going on- JJames or Darthatron- are anywhere to be found, because it'd be helpful if they could be contacted, therefore it can't happen.

Last edited:

Gamer2020

Accept no Imitations!
Years
I should announce that the move editor in the new version of PGE has support for the class split. You can select whether you want the move to be special or physical.

Years
  • Seen Mar 26, 2013
Yeah, there is a weird glitch with Darthathon's patch. I can't explain it honestly. The split works properly for what I believe are moves with no effect? But any moves that DO have an effect and are physical all do utterly low damage. I can't say for sure since I've gotten moves with no effect still doing no damage. This only bothers physical moves; special moves work just fine. I didn't encounter this in my initial testing, weirdly enough.

ROMs are just very confusing to me now.

Back