• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Which Pokemon did you consider "useless" for journeys?

Volcanix769

Known as the Quilava Guy!
Years
Now there are certain Pokemon you find useless to use in journeys of your playthroughs. But I don't mean those that have the same type/types of your team. I mean by a specific Pokemon.

For me, I consider Plusle and Minun. They are Electric types, yes, but their movepool along with horrible Defense makeup(mainly Plusle) makes it useless to use. Even Spinda or Kricketune. Not to mention Ditto.

Last edited:

PokemonGiratinaX

2015 Edition.
Years
And for me, I think it is a Dunsparce. It is a Normal-type and has a horrible speed including a bad movepool. I never use it on any Pokemon game.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
I wanted to use Emolga in BW2, but after learning the only special Flying-type move is Air Slash through breeding, I thought it wasn't worth it.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
This is game-specific, so I'm going to kick it over to the gaming section!

I loved Azurill's design but it was so weak when I tried to use it that I had to drop it. >_o

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I typically don't like to have that thought, but I've gotten stuck with Delibird in like...three different challenges before and I've never used anything so bad. Even Unown was better. I also disliked using Zebstrika in my Hall of Fame challenge. It was horrible and didn't even KO anything, and Garbodor is also tied with it in that category, but at least Garbodor could poison stuff before he went down. Watchog did better than them. I am not kidding.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
This is game-specific, so I'm going to kick it over to the gaming section!

I loved Azurill's design but it was so weak when I tried to use it that I had to drop it. >_o

You know that some Azurill have Huge Power to make up for their low Attack, right?

Anyway, Purrloin is useless, IMO. Its offenses are only average and its level-up movepool is pretty bad.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
Years
I started using a Liepard but it became horribly useless by like, the second gym lol. Zebstrika was also a major pain to train. One would think that electric+fire would be good enough to keep the zebra around, but it dies against even the faintest of attacks.

Azumarill was a beast in my HGSS run, though.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
If I put a Pokemon on my team it usually stays around until the end. That said, I never really had a Pokemon that was useless to me. Even Zebstrika had it's nice moments when it was on my team my first playthrough. I have switched Pokemon out but not because I have deemed them worthless (I'm pretty sure I would get killed if I called Lucario worthless) but that they just didn't suit my style or something.

That said, some of the Pokemon people have called worthless I have considered using for the hell of it, like Delibird, Dunsparce, etc etc.

Volcanix769

Known as the Quilava Guy!
Years
I started using a Liepard but it became horribly useless by like, the second gym lol. Zebstrika was also a major pain to train. One would think that electric+fire would be good enough to keep the zebra around, but it dies against even the faintest of attacks.

Azumarill was a beast in my HGSS run, though.

I used a Purrloin-Liepard in almost all of my journeys to get 8 badges in Pokemon Black. But when I last used her, she was used for battling Drayden. But since she was somewhat underleveled and was so weak, I gave up on her and got a Deino which is now a Hydreigon.

Same for Zebstrika, but I didn't replace him for Ampharos until like when I beat the Elite 4, I got Amphy from Pokemon Pearl. Azumarill is pretty strong if you keep Physical Attacks along with Huge Power.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
Even Unown was better.
I'm sorry, just... no. I can't deal with that. Mind = blown.

For me, both Zebstrika and Galvantula occupied that role when playing Black version. I needed an Electric Pokemon in my team, but both of these two were just so brittle. Two moves of virtually any type could knock them both out. I'd end up using Eelektross later in the game, but I really expected more from a cool electric zebra and spider!

SilverAbsol

Absol's Shadow
Years
I once had a Poliwrath on my Soul Silver before. It was a perfect Poliwrath, in both natures and IVs, and this was something I caught as a Poliwag in the wild.
Never before has a Pokemon been so useless before. It baffled me how many times it lost to opponents it shouldn't have even worried about.

Then, in BW2, I had a Lucario. It had a worse knockout/knocked-out ratio than the Dewott I never evolved. I have begun to refer to all Pokemon like that as my Poliwrath.

Galoria

Moo~ ♪
Years
Oh well, there are many usless Pokémon... But I like to assemble a team of cute Pokémon, even if they're usless or weak! xD
It makes challenge for me... So far, I never used a legendary to be honest except in my Red version to beat the Pokémon League!
For exemple, people will make evolve Pikachu, some of them will keep Pikachu, because it is cute.
First, my favorite Pokémon was Eevee, till Pearl and Diamond came out. Now it is Leafeon D:
Yeah...I used Eevee without using a stone to try to beat the Pokémon League...xD

Here are some I councider that I will never travel with them!

083farfetchd.gif
132ditto.gif
166ledian.gif
201unown.gif
206dunsparce.gif
235smeargle.gif
400bibarel.gif
508stoutland.gif
505watchog.gif
313volbeat.gif
314illumise.gif
327spinda.gif

And the most powerful one....
370luvdisc.gif

Simply because most of them are usless, and some of them are simply ugly! xD

Years
  • Seen Dec 23, 2013
its gotta be the rip off i got from the GTS wich was a magikarp >:I

sunshinesan

Pokesho fan
Years
  • Seen May 9, 2014
I'm a fan of Umbreon, but it is very very very useless in a ingame run-through.

SamuJake

I beat Red when I was 8' bro.
Years
Tentacools. I'm actually versing one right now on my Gameboy. But yeah Tentacools to me are useless.

Years

I agree with both Mr Cat Dog and TwilightBlade, I tried Zebstrika on my Black playthrough and even though I liked its design, it didn't live up to my expectations cos it kept falling after 2 hits every single time.

Same goes for Liepard, like what PlatinumDude and TwilightBlade said. It's just too brittle and its moves aren't all that great.

And I also agree with Galoria on Ledian, it's stats are amongst the worst for fully-evolved Bug-types. Unown only learns one move (and their only purpose is collecting all its forms) while Luvdisc has terrible stats and movepool, the only good thing about it is that they carry Heart Scales.

However, Smeargle is helpful for breeding movesets onto Field egg group Pokemon.

The Grubby Pup

Where's mah shiny squeaky ball
Years
Pokemon that needs stones to evolve. The hard part about this is...Keepin'em in their pre-evolutionary form, till you find a poweful enough attack: like Clefairy and Hyper Voice and making them evolve too earlier will result in them learning pretty much no extra move. I know they are TMs. But most good one can only be found around either the end of the game or as prizes for BP points and stuff.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I'm a fan of Umbreon, but it is very very very useless in a ingame run-through.

wut. Am I the only person that can successfully use in-game Umbreon? lmao...On my last Black 2 playthrough, my Umbreon was MVP. ;(

Oh, and someone mentioned Smeargle earlier and I wanna agree with that as well. I LOVE Smeargle, don't get me wrong, but I just used one in a challenge and it just dragged the whole team down. It had its moments, but more often than not, it was a nuisance to the whole team. It has a niche in competitive play though, so at least it's not a total waste. Too bad it can't have Moody.

Back