• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Spoilers] Shipping Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
OH SERENA IS GONNA HUG HI--

oh

oh she didn't

oh ok

:(

No but really I just laughed because IT WAS SO CLOSE but lol no not happening. I'm okay with AmourShipping I guess but I don't want it to actually happen because I don't romantically ship Ash with anyone.

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 13, 2019
OH SERENA IS GONNA HUG HI--

oh

oh she didn't

oh ok

:(

That also went through my mind nearly verbatim during that scene.

Then I was like: Haha, alright Serena, I guess it was more appropriate for you to just grab Ash's shoulders at arm's length; it's not like he fell out of a skyship and nearly died, or anything. God's sake, Ash, take a hint.

Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2019
Spoiler:

Take notes: that's how you do a shiptease in the world of TV-Y7.

Nay , I'm not into this type of Doki Doki romance ! This type of romance are only for Shoujo Anime.
Amourshipping is based on classic shoujo Manga.
Where An insecure Girl fall for a gentle Kind Boy for helping her in the past ! She chase after that guy and try to grow into an ideal woman for that guy . She meet a lot of character in process and grows.
Unfortunately , This type of Romance is not suitable for a Kids Anime where A Guy is the Main Protagonist .
Pokemon need Romance like this--
tumblr_nnro9kI3JM1rzcpvjo5_540.jpg

I mean , Take Ash's personality for consideration.
Ash is Rush straightforward Hothead Protagonist like Ranma(Ranma1/2) , Sadao Maou (Hataraku Maou-sama) and Sho (Idaten Jump) ! Protagonist like them has always had an mature , Intelligent and Tsundere girl that keep them on line !

Ash also had someone like that ! Her name was Misty .
You can say that the Current XY Ash is like those '' Popular guy'' from Shoujo Anime ! But may be THATS THE PROBLEM WITH XY ASH'S PERSONALITY !
If I say that I want Ash to be like Conan (Detective Conan) then all of you will mock me saying Ash & Conan are 2 opposite Character .
But Isn't this stupid when Writer try to make Ash more like TK (Digimon Adventure 02) or Tabase (Shugo Chara) ? Its same as making A ''Misty'' out of ''Iris'' when she & Misty are 2 opposite character stereotype.
Misty is an ''Mature girl'' and Iris is a ''Wild Girl'' !

Truth is , Most of You like Amourshipping Because Serena is the 1st Cute girl with canonize crush on Ash while Misty has Semi-canonize crush.
However , If Hypothetically Misty reappear and resume the same character interaction she had with Ash then Amourshipping will be in trouble.
I can see , Ash surprise to see Misty in Kalo while Pikachu jump into her arm with Joy ! Then She tease Ash for acting like a Moron and he argue with her.
The XY series will be funnier if Ash & Misty act like this --
Spoiler:

There is a good chance for Misty & Brock to reappear now ! 2015 is the year of Old Show & character returning considering ''Dragon Ball super'' , ''Digimon Tri series'' and ''Yugioh Remastered'' . So May be , The Director might bring back Brock & Misty as a desperate attempt to increase Popularity.

Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2019
I know, but you can still dream, right? XD

So far , I dreaming for a girl even beautiful then May to fall for Ash !
And Ash curdstumping Drew as a revenge for his previous defeat ! Do you know how I waited the entire AG series to see a rematch where Ash beat Drew in battle ?
Instate all I got is a Shoujo Love-story between May & Drew while Ash happen to be side-character.
Honestly , Writer's Drew-love and Contest-love is the main reason I hate AG series.
If the writer never planed a Rematch then they shouldn't let Drew beat Ash on the 1st place! Instate they could kept the battle unfinished like other battle in AG series.
It seem like the whole Ash vs Drew wasn't for May's development ! It was to show how Drew is far better then Ash and more qualified for May then Ash.
Worst part is , Even Serena & Dawn can't match May in Beauty & Cuteness! She is also voted the most favorite character in this form .
Seriously , I think Writers pick the wrong girl to be unattainable!
Honestly , I think if Ash Suppose to have One Love-interest (Since its a Kids Anime) then it could be a girl who equal to an Harem ! Unfortunately that girl happen to be May .

Lizardo

Public Enemy
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 18, 2016
I've only seen that episode dubbed, but if I remember correctly the plot revolved around Haruka's insecurities concerning her upcoming Contest. She was coming off a loss at the last one and was going to have to compete with two strong coordinators, Grace and Shuu, who both had three ribbons at that point. Shuu defeating Satoshi in a battle was just meant to add to that, raise the stakes a bit more, and help bring Haruka (who was watching it) to a point where she almost falls for Team Rocket's fake product a couple of scenes later.

Whatever you want to think of that battle, it certainly had nothing to do with showing Shuu to be "more qualified" for Haruka than Satoshi. Neither Satoshi or Haruka ever thought of each other as anything more than friends, nor was that possibility even brought up by anyone else outside of a single episode later on. And while Haruka and Shuu were implied to like each other, there was quite a bit more to the rivalry than that.

While I do enjoy a lot of Satoshi pairings (Satoshi/Hikari, Satoshi/Shinji, Satoshi/Citron, Satoshi/Serena, Satoshi/Lila, Satoshi/Aoi), I'm of the opinion that Satoshi doesn't need an actual love interest in canon. In fact, he works better without one. His character isn't interested (now to wait for a mention of that one COTD from a filler episode that aired all the way back when the anime franchise had just started...), and the anime wouldn't benefit from it. He and Haruka were friends, and that's all they ever needed to be.

Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2019
I've only seen that episode dubbed, but if I remember correctly the plot revolved around Haruka's insecurities concerning her upcoming Contest. She was coming off a loss at the last one and was going to have to compete with two strong coordinators, Grace and Shuu, who both had three ribbons at that point. Shuu defeating Satoshi in a battle was just meant to add to that, raise the stakes a bit more, and help bring Haruka (who was watching it) to a point where she almost falls for Team Rocket's fake product a couple of scenes later.

Whatever you want to think of that battle, it certainly had nothing to do with showing Shuu to be "more qualified" for Haruka than Satoshi. Neither Satoshi or Haruka ever thought of each other as anything more than friends, nor was that possibility even brought up by anyone else outside of a single episode later on. And while Haruka and Shuu were implied to like each other, there was quite a bit more to the rivalry than that.

While I do enjoy a lot of Satoshi pairings (Satoshi/Hikari, Satoshi/Shinji, Satoshi/Citron, Satoshi/Serena, Satoshi/Lila, Satoshi/Aoi), I'm of the opinion that Satoshi doesn't need an actual love interest in canon. In fact, he works better without one. His character isn't interested (now to wait for a mention of that one COTD from a filler episode that aired all the way back when the anime franchise had just started...), and the anime wouldn't benefit from it. He and Haruka were friends, and that's all they ever needed to be.

Just because it was something important to May doesn't mean Ash has to be scapegoat for her! If it was really important then writer should prepare a Rematch in future So Ash didn't seem inferior to Drew!
Advanceshippers had it hard ! Because to them , Drew is Ash's rival So in their eye Ash lose to Drew twice. Once in Battle another in Love .

Also , Romance in Kids Anime has to be simple and more subtle! You may noticed that most Kids Anime has only One ''Love-interest'' however their relationship doesn't involve Dating , Kissing and Confessing.
In Kids Anime , Dating is simply refer as ''Shopping'' and there is no confession ! There just implied feeling and fast forward future marriage .
I think , Ash's ''Love-interest'' has to be someone who fit the story!
Someone who's related to Ash's goal and The Main Story. A shipping that doesn't need to show as many hint as Amourshipping
Simply just talking to One another would be enough! The chemistry between them will work as hint.
For example : Contestshipping !

That why I think An Unfriendly female rival with colder and calmer attitude will be a much better match for Ash! Someone like Rika Nonaka (Digimon Tamer) .--

Sorry for low-quality video but this is the best example I could find! Wait until 0:44 for her to appear.

Last edited:

Lizardo

Public Enemy
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 18, 2016
Just because it was something important to May doesn't mean Ash has to be scapegoat for her! If it was really important then writer should prepare a Rematch in future So Ash didn't seem inferior to Drew!
Advanceshippers had it hard ! Because to them , Drew is Ash's rival So in their eye Ash lose to Drew twice. Once in Battle another in Love .
But there was no love battle between Satoshi and Shuu, that's the point. Satoshi's feelings for Haruka went no further than platonic friendship, and whatever interest she and Shuu had in each other was of no concern to him. Delusional Advanceshippers can think what they want, but in canon Satoshi and Shuu were not rivals for Haruka's affections. Satoshi can't lose a battle he was never fighting.

I think , Ash's ''Love-interest'' has to be someone who fit the story!
Unless it's Pikachu, no true love interest (i.e. someone he likes who also likes him back) would organically fit into Satoshi's story. The anime isn't about romance and Satoshi in particular is so uninterested/clueless that he often can't recognize signs of it right in front of his face. To give Satoshi a love interest would be to force a noticeable reworking of his characterization without adding anything particularly good either to him or to the anime as a whole.

This is why I say Satoshi shouldn't have a canon romance. Satoshi's pairings can be fun to speculate over, draw fanart for, create Tumblr headcanons about, etc. But in canon it'd either just be a thing that exists for its own sake and doesn't contribute to anything or it would just undermine his character's emphasis on Pokémon. Neither of those would fit his story.

Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2019
But there was no love battle between Satoshi and Shuu, that's the point. Satoshi's feelings for Haruka went no further than platonic friendship, and whatever interest she and Shuu had in each other was of no concern to him. Delusional Advanceshippers can think what they want, but in canon Satoshi and Shuu were not rivals for Haruka's affections. Satoshi can't lose a battle he was never fighting.

But In Advenceshipper eye , They were rival and the worst part that Writer made Ash lose a battle to Drew.
It doesn't matter how you think ! If Ash loses a Battle to Drew then it automatically create a inferiority.
Writer should have think before making Ash a punching bag for Drew.

Unless it's Pikachu, no true love interest (i.e. someone he likes who also likes him back) would organically fit into Satoshi's story. The anime isn't about romance and Satoshi in particular is so uninterested/clueless that he often can't recognize signs of it right in front of his face. To give Satoshi a love interest would be to force a noticeable reworking of his characterization without adding anything particularly good either to him or to the anime as a whole.

This is why I say Satoshi shouldn't have a canon romance. Satoshi's pairings can be fun to speculate over, draw fanart for, create Tumblr headcanons about, etc. But in canon it'd either just be a thing that exists for its own sake and doesn't contribute to anything or it would just undermine his character's emphasis on Pokémon. Neither of those would fit his story.
You do know Kids Anime are mainly ''Straight'' and those anime will not try marriage between human & pure animal !
Also , I said the Romance has to play a role in Kids Anime .
Take ''Doraemon'' for example .
In Doraemon , Nobita's crush on Shizuka was use for various plot device ! The series even had a rival named Dekisugi who hold the potential to steal Shizuka aways from Nobita which promote him try various Doraemon gadget to keep Shizuka & Dekisugi aways (Which ultimately fails)
Same goes with ''Youkai watch'' ! Keita's crush on Fumi was one of the reason that cause him find the ''Youkai watch''.
Furthermore , His crush on Fumi make the series more challenging & Interesting ! Something that pokemon lacks.
FYI : Doraemon & Youkai Watch has nothing to do with Romance.

Same way , Romance in Pokemon has to be something that actually play a role in Anime rather then being a ''Extra thing'' like Amourshipping.
There no point in involve Romance in Kids Anime if it doesn't have anything to do with the story. Adding a pointless romance like Amourshipping only make the series boring.
That Why , I believe Ash's main Love-interest should be--

--- A Tsundere rival

--- A ''Master Thief'' thatappear in every series to clash against Ash to steal something.

---A ''Mysterious girl'' that trying to save the world like Zinnia.

--- A Traveling Companion that act like Bulma (a.k.a Misty)

---Ash's One-sided Crush (Which is impossible)

You idea of ''No Romance Kids Anime'' is flawed in various way because a lot of popular Kids anime involve A main couple (Specially the most popular ones)
Unless offcourse , If you put Pokemon in same place as ''Dragon Tales'' that I can see logic to your claim but Pokemon is not a Cartoon like ''Dragon Tales''.
Off course , it seem you prefer A Harem over a canon heroin however Kids anime really doesn't do harem! Even Kids Anime with Harem has a canon Love-interest from the start. Trust me , if Pokemon try to do harem then I would want all those adove mention girls in Ash's harem.

Last edited:

Lizardo

Public Enemy
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 18, 2016
But In Advenceshipper eye , They were rival and the worst part that Writer made Ash lose a battle to Drew.
It doesn't matter how you think ! If Ash loses a Battle to Drew then it automatically create a inferiority.
Writer should have think before making Ash a punching bag for Drew.
Who cares about how Advanceshippers perceive it? I'm talking about canon. And in canon, Satoshi and Shuu were not rivals for Haruka's affections because Satoshi and Haruka didn't like each other as anything more than friends. The Satoshi-Shuu battle in general is another discussion entirely. If some Advanceshippers are delusional enough to read a nonexistent love triangle between the three that's their problem, not the anime's.

You do know Kids Anime are mainly ''Straight'' and those anime will not try marriage between human & pure animal !
It was a joke, playing on the fact that Pikachu is Satoshi's closest companion and best friend in the anime. The way Satoshi's characterization has been for almost two decades, the only character it'd make sense for him to fall in love with is Pikachu. Since that obviously shouldn't (and won't) happen, I don't think any love interest would really make sense for Satoshi.

Also , I said the Romance has to play a role in Kids Anime .
I know that's what you said. What I said is that there's no good way to organically introduce a romance in Satoshi's storyline, because to make it mean something you would need to rework the character for it to work and undermine the whole Pokémon-trainer connection that he represents. A generic romance isn't worth that.

Take ''Doraemon'' for example .
I don't watch it (or Yokai Watch, for that matter). But there are plenty of examples out there of how needless romances have wrecked good stories and characters before.

Off course , it seem you prefer A Harem over a canon heroin however Kids anime really doesn't do harem! Even Kids Anime with Harem has a canon Love-interest from the start. Trust me , if Pokemon try to do harem then I would want all those adove mention girls in Ash's harem.
I'm not sure how you got the idea that I wanted a harem out of me saying Satoshi doesn't need a canon love interest, but... I don't want a harem. Harems are terrible.

Years
  • Seen Sep 29, 2023
I think the thing is Drew was planned to be May's love interest from the very start. The only reason Advanceshipping became popular is because back then May was the first alternative female to Misty, and the first new girl to ship Ash with after 5 years. So obviously people who either didn't like or care about Pokeshipping/Misty would become Advanceshippers despite it having no real hints. Others ship Ash with every main girl of the show so it doesn't matter to them.

The writers make pairings very obvious in this show. Serena's crush was confirmed from the start, Misty's was in early Kanto, Drew's interest in May was made obvious from the beginning, then you had Kenny/Conway, etc. crushing on Dawn in DP.

Its a kids anime, when the writers have characters with a crush on another character they make it blatantly obvious.

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 13, 2019
XY79 made me spit my coffee. It was a shipper's wet dream. Sorta. Ash still has the density and emotional intellect of a sack of bricks. Bonnie totally knows though.

Spoiler:

Based on how blatant and emphasized Serena's interest still remains, I'd actually consider the possibility of a serious "confession" on her part occurring near the end of the series. Except, barring the most minor, insignificant romantic character development on Ash's part, I can't conceive of any reasonable way Ash would handle that. Rejection seems a bit too "dark" for shounen (might be wrong?). Reciprocation would be uncalled for (for now) and the whole relationship thing wouldn't fit well in Pokemon (Assuming this is not the final series for Ash and the last thing we will see is a time skip.)

If Ash never finds out how Serena feels, that final episode for the XY saga better make me bawl or I will be really, really inconvenienced.

Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2019
Lets be honest , This is the Best girl Ash could have--

Who cares about how Advanceshippers perceive it? I'm talking about canon. And in canon, Satoshi and Shuu were not rivals for Haruka's affections because Satoshi and Haruka didn't like each other as anything more than friends. The Satoshi-Shuu battle in general is another discussion entirely. If some Advanceshippers are delusional enough to read a nonexistent love triangle between the three that's their problem, not the anime's.

Because they are one who will spend money to buy Special quality DVD.
However , It heard to watch if the imaginary Love-rival remain superior then the Protagonist!
Specially since the series hardly had any main rival for Ash to face! (beside Morrison)

It was a joke, playing on the fact that Pikachu is Satoshi's closest companion and best friend in the anime. The way Satoshi's characterization has been for almost two decades, the only character it'd make sense for him to fall in love with is Pikachu. Since that obviously shouldn't (and won't) happen, I don't think any love interest would really make sense for Satoshi.
WRONG!!!
Ash did got infatuated with a girl name Giselle during the early Kento Series .
Which prove that Ash does has an interest in Girl !
I think , The only reason Ash never got infatuated with another girl Because he has such a "HIGH Standard" that only Giselle able to match up it.

I know that's what you said. What I said is that there's no good way to organically introduce a romance in Satoshi's storyline, because to make it mean something you would need to rework the character for it to work and undermine the whole Pokémon-trainer connection that he represents. A generic romance isn't worth that.
There is a lot of good way to introduce Romance in Ash's storyline !
One of them is introducing A Tsundere over-amplified Version of Giselle who doesn't accept Ash's method (even after losing to him) until the League.
Basically , Erina from Shokugeki no Soma !
Or Ash could join Looker agency and meet a girl like Noire (Hyperdimention Neptunia) who tries do everything herself and get angry at Ash for not following rule or protocol.

But there are plenty of examples out there of how needless romances have wrecked good stories and characters before.
How many them reach sky rock popularity like ''Doreamon'' Or ''Phinese & ferb'' ?
Most Romance-less Kids Anime are forgotten & erase from people mind.
Truth is , Most Kids has this idea that every story has a hero & heroin.
You claim Kids doesn't understand romance !
But how does Kids understand those fairy tales where a Prince goes to save & marry a Princess ?
Truth is , Kids understand Romance before actually learning about it , We did as well! Its embedded in our DNA just like all other think we know without learning.(like walking)

I don't watch it (or Yokai Watch, for that matter).
\

No wonder you are filed with so many wrong idea revolving Kids anime!
Most of your Opinions are like those people's opinion who think Animes are only for Kids !
Until someone drag them to watch Highschool DXD ! I like to see how they will let their children watch this after they watch the 1st episode themselves.

However , Most of My opinion came from watching various anime and public's reaction!
And I find most common opinion about Anime are just LIES .
For example , Someone in here said ''Nobody likes Prefect Anime girl because They are boring''.
''Perfect girl'' mean An Anime girl who's incredibly beautiful and Good at almost everything.
However I notice almost all popular anime girl are happen to be Perfect girl.
Example : Haruhi Suzumiya , Sena Kashiwazaki , Hinagiku Katsura.
Ya , You can claim their personality to be flawed But again what is a Perfect Personality.
Same goes with Character like Erina (Shokugeki no Soma) or Pacifica (Gravity falls) ! A lot of people will bash them and claim to hate them But at the end they will vote those character as their favorite.

I'm not sure how you got the idea that I wanted a harem out of me saying Satoshi doesn't need a canon love interest, but... I don't want a harem. Harems are terrible.
Okay , you said you want multiple Love-interest for Ash so you can have fun Shipping Ash with them , discussing it with other people and Drew fanart.
But , You don't want a harem!
A Protagonist with Multiple Love-interest call Harem ! Off course it also has another more accurate name that I can't remember.

Last edited:

Jorah

What do I put here?
Years
  • Age 33
  • UK
  • Seen Aug 18, 2021
Recently watched XY79 (why do my subs say it's XY80...?) and the Serena shipping is cute. But nothing will happen, I just know it. At absolute best, Serena will make a confession, but it will fly right over Ash's head and he'll say something like "I love you as a friend, too, Serena!", rejecting her without him even knowing it. Gah. Blue haired girl should just say something directly to Ash just to get Serena jealous, lol.

Edit: Bonnie, who is like 5, seems to understand better than Ash or Clemont.

Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2019
How do any of you feel about this girl--

lass2.png

I think , This girl was Ash intended Love-interest !
But Writer probably drop it later .
So , Do you think writers did the right thing by dropping her ???

Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2019
XY79 made me spit my coffee. It was a shipper's wet dream. Sorta. Ash still has the density and emotional intellect of a sack of bricks. Bonnie totally knows though.

Spoiler:

Based on how blatant and emphasized Serena's interest still remains, I'd actually consider the possibility of a serious "confession" on her part occurring near the end of the series. Except, barring the most minor, insignificant romantic character development on Ash's part, I can't conceive of any reasonable way Ash would handle that. Rejection seems a bit too "dark" for shounen (might be wrong?). Reciprocation would be uncalled for (for now) and the whole relationship thing wouldn't fit well in Pokemon (Assuming this is not the final series for Ash and the last thing we will see is a time skip.)

If Ash never finds out how Serena feels, that final episode for the XY saga better make me bawl or I will be really, really inconvenienced.

Sorry , But Pokemon is Kids anime so I don't expect a confession !
After all , Pokemon is not a shoujo anime that mainly focus on Confessing , Dating and Romance development.
That Why , Amourshipping failing to raise Pokemon XY's Popularity!
From what I see ,Romance in Most Non-Shoujo Kids Anime are use for ether "Dynamic interaction" Or "Creating Competition".
For example : Doreaomon use Romance to create Competition where Nobita tries to Woo The School idol Shizuka and often tries to beat The School Prince Dekisugi.
In Pokemon , Romance is mainly use for "Dynamic interaction" such as this--
tumblr_ntk5uk8v4U1rc3jkko4_400.gif

Honestly Now , Pokeshipping seem like a better shipping due to Ash & Misty dynamic interaction and Serena cutting her hair.
After all , Serena had only one advantage over Misty which happen to be Beauty ! But now She doesn't seem to be a match for Misty.
Truth is , If Misty reappear then I don't think Amourshipping will least a second.

Off course , Romance can be use to create competition in Pokemon as well ! However Writer need to bring a Bishojo like "Giselle" who can attract multiple Boys at once.
Giselle is the only girl who able to attract multiple boy at once .
She infatuated all the Boys of Pokemon Tact , Brock and even Ash in just one episode.
No other girl able to do this.
So , Writer has to create another "Giselle" who happen to be out of Ash's reach.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back