• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon Circle

Should the main character have dialogue or remain silent?

• Dialogue

Votes: 18 69.2%
  • Silent

Votes: 8 30.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Years
Cover.png

Pokemon Circle

Details
-------------
Engine: Rpg Maker 2003
Genre: RPG
Region: Custom region known as Atlya
Pokémon: YOU voted... YOU decided... Now here's the list:

Spoiler:

Introduction
-------------

Hello everyone. My name is 00Vampire and some of you may know me from my previous game, Pokémon Asphar - a game which eventually became too complicated for me to continue. It's only been 9 months since that happened, yet I feel I'm ready to try again.
At first glance, Pokémon Circle may appear to be the same game as Asphar - and it effectively is. All I've really done is renamed everything, remade the graphics and changed all the systems around a little bit, while removing some of the more-complicated, less-integral features. And other small things :)

* * * * *​

Storyline
-------------

Here's a general summary:
It all started on a stormy day six years ago...
Alex didn't like travelling. He hated travelling by boat even more. And he definately hated being away from his family. He missed his wife and ten-year-old son terribly, but was comforted by the promise of seeing them in just a few weeks time.
Unfortunately, Alex never arrived home that winter.

Present day...
It is the day our young hero turns 16. As he is now of age, he decides to leave home and travel the Atlya region with his Pokémon.
However, just before he leaves, our hero recieves a letter. A letter from his father, Alex.

Our hero's world is turned upside-down as he sets out to save his dad - but are the clues leading him towards his father's mysterious past, an evil organisation aiming to destroy the world... or something even more sinister?

And here I'm going to constantly update a detailed account of the Prologue, which in the game only skims through some of the most important events in Alex's life.

Spoiler:

* * * * *​

Features
-------------
Spoiler:

* * * * *​

Laptop
-------------
Spoiler:

* * * * *​

Screenshots
-------------
Spoiler:

* * * * *​

Other Stuff
-------------

The Region Of Atlya

AtlyaRegion.png

Downloads

You can download the Pokemon Egg Attack Mini-game here:
http://duykhuu.com/Egg_Attack_Fix_Darkerarceus.zip

Thanks to DarkerArceus for fixing it.

How To Play: Crack the eggs open before they disappear, by holding the mouse down on them with the correct cursor selected. For instance, to hatch a Green (Grass) Egg, use the Fire Cursor - which you'd use by clicking on the picture of Growlithe. Also, Thunder beats the Blue Eggs, Raindrop beats the Red Eggs and Bone beats the Yellow Eggs.

Let me know what you score. :)

F.A.Q

How many Pokemon are there going to be in the game?
See the Pokepolls above. :)

How will you handle evolution of Pokemon that usually require trading, and other Pokemon in general?
They'll evolve through different means, depending on the Pokemon itself. Every Pokemon in the game will have a lot of hidden values attached to them that all come to together to determine whether it's ready to evolve or not. Some of these values are linked to things like the Pokemon's stats, it's mood, it's bond with the trainer, it's personality, or whether it even wants to evolve. Other values are linked to such things like how many battles it has taken part in, how old it is, how many times has it been injured/sick, how much it has trained at a dojo, etc etc etc. Depending on the species of Pokemon, more values will be more important than others.

Please feel free to ask any questions about the game in this thread - not only do I enjoy answering them but I also find them useful in helping me think about different aspects of the game I may not have thought about yet. If they're good questions I'll stick them here.

Credit

NikNaks for creating the beautiful map of the region for me back when this was still Pokémon Asphar. :)

DForte for his help on constructing the move lists. :)​

I don't think there's much else to say at the moment. Thank you for taking the time to read this (although if you're anything like me, then you probably looked at the screenshots and skipped through the rest :P).
Until next time. Bye.

Last edited:

pokemongarnet

CAT-BUS!
Years
  • Seen Dec 13, 2016
Looks good, keep it up.

I really like the concept of the free roaming system. I also really like the trainer bios, they look great and would definitely be useful.

It seems more realistic even though it's pokemon, in a sense that there is fatigue and stuff, and that you can refuse trainer battles.

Ravecat

I'm Right.
Years
Well, well, well, the battle system is quite nice looking; I've always liked the idea of a side-view system, however how well does this run in RM2k/3?

Also, the free-roaming is greatly of interest to me.

Anyway keep up the good work.

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2014
This looks like a great project. It always amazes me to see projects like this pulled off with RM2k3.

One question, though: How the heck does Bulbasaur get poisoned? Poison types can't get poisoned.

Years
Wow, just reading all of that, im impressed by all the features.
Intelligent mind, and this is something im going to be looking forward to.

Years
Thank you for the comments :)

how well does this run in RM2k/3?

When I first started making the battle system, there were a lot more parts and it lagged like hell - but with the way it is at the moment it's even running fine on my old crappy laptop. :)

One question, though: How the heck does Bulbasaur get poisoned? Poison types can't get poisoned.

Aw nuts. Didn't think about that lol. Thanks for pointing it out. :)

carmaniac

Where the pickle surprise at?
Years
Well hello there, I remember your old game and just wow, you've gone and improved a lot since you were last seen making a game. The laptop idea is just great and seems to have been executed excellently with a nice design to your battle system. I'm surprised you're making work like this on RPG Maker 2003 and I must say keep up your brilliant work. The story seems a bit brief but I can see you are hiding a little cliché story in between the lines. But yes, visually you have done an brilliant job so far on your game. Good luck and prosper through game dev.

Years
really like how you can go to any gym at anytime and that trainers get progressively stronger over time instead of location (I assume the same goes for wild pokemon). I also like how you're able to use the pokedex to see what levels the pokemon/trainers are in that area. when ash first met paul in sinnoh, paul used the pokedex to see what attacks starly was able to use, is that implemented in your pokedex as well?

also, did you release a demo for pokemon asphar? if you did, i would love to play it

Years
Once again, thanks for the comments. :)

really like how you can go to any gym at anytime and that trainers get progressively stronger over time instead of location (I assume the same goes for wild pokemon).

Wild Pokémon will grow, but at a much, much slower rate than trained Pokémon, and it's so gradual you wouldn't really notice.

However, there are all different strengths of Pokémon all over the region at all times...
If I had to equate it to an official Pokémon game for instance, then it'd sorta be the equivalent of getting your first Pokémon, walking out of Pallet Town and potentially either meeting a level 3 Pidgey, or a level 44 Pidgeot.
That's where the Aura Function of the Pokédex becomes invaluable to the player. I'll upload some screenshots of it in action either tonight or ssometime tomorrow.

paul used the pokedex to see what attacks starly was able to use, is that implemented in your pokedex as well?

Alas, no. Like in the games, you can only view moves of Pokémon you have already caught. So if you wanted to check (or swap out different) skills, then that would be accessed through the 'Pokémon' section of the menu.

did you release a demo for pokemon asphar? if you did, i would love to play it

Unfortunately, no. Asphar didn't quite get that far - the main problem being that I never completed the battle system. However, I've already done the framework for the battle system this time, and all it needs doing now is just a lot of copying and pasting for different Pokémon, Skills, and stuff.

Thanks for the questions. I like questions. I'm a question junkie :P

-------

In regards to the story, with what I've done so far, I have found it rather difficult to progress the story naturally without the main character speaking.

I've added a poll, because I'm interested in hearing other opinions...

Would you prefer the main character to remain silent, like in the official games - or would you prefer for him to have a predefined personality and have dialogue?

Years
  • Seen Mar 25, 2018
This looks absolutely amazing. My favorite feature would definitely be either the Laptop, or the League Tournament instead of an Elite 4.

Years
Thanks guys.

Now I was going to post some screenshots of the Pokédex's Aura Scan in action today, however... I got sidetracked (something that unfortunately happens too often).

So instead, here's some screenshots of one of the Game Corner's Pokémon Games:

EggAttack1.png
EggAttack2.png

EggAttack3.png
EggAttack4.png

EggAttack5.png
EggAttack6.png

The idea is to basically smash open each egg with super-effective hits from the Pokémon on the right. You do this by clicking on the Pokémon's attack you want to use, then repeatedly click on the egg until it cracks open, releasing the Pokémon inside. If the egg reaches the bottom of the screen, you lose a life.

Obviously it doesn't really make much real-life sense... but it's just supposed to be a bit of fun.

The Game Corner can be found in Raybourne Resort (check map up top) which is pretty much like a holiday destination in the region. There'll be quite a few mini-games, where getting really high-scores can bag you some rare Pokémon - though be prepared to spend some money trying. :P

Years
This looks really unique, and it seems you have the skill to pull it off.
Good luck with the project.
May I ask, is the game's Karen the same one as Elite Four member from Johto?

Years
The mini game looks great, you look like you got a lot of skill going towards this game, its very different but in a great way. Mini game looks fun, looking forward to this!

Years
I like the mini-game. From the looks of it, colors represent the egg type (red=fire, blue=water, green=grass, yellow=electric). Is that just to throw us off, or will it really be like that.

Hope you get some videos of the game up soon.

Years
This looks really unique, and it seems you have the skill to pull it off.
Good luck with the project.
May I ask, is the game's Karen the same one as Elite Four member from Johto?

Thank you, and no - different Karen. I may in fact change her name to avoid confusion :P

The mini game looks great, you look like you got a lot of skill going towards this game, its very different but in a great way. Mini game looks fun, looking forward to this!

Thanks. :)

I like the mini-game. From the looks of it, colors represent the egg type (red=fire, blue=water, green=grass, yellow=electric). Is that just to throw us off, or will it really be like that.

Hope you get some videos of the game up soon.

No, you got it right, the colour of the eggs do represent the type. :)

Years
This is something that just hit me.....

When you said that trainers get progressively stronger, do they get stronger in relative to time or how many badges you have?

Back