• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Jun 14, 2016
Disregard my previous question. But I have a new one.

How do you make it so an event prevents the player from entering a map, but will move away when something has happened (Like the small green haired child at the beginning of the game, when you try to enter route 101 without seeing your rival)?

Kevin

kevin del rey
Years
Disregard my previous question. But I have a new one.

How do you make it so an event prevents the player from entering a map, but will move away when something has happened (Like the small green haired child at the beginning of the game, when you try to enter route 101 without seeing your rival)?
You would need flags in scripting to prevent something on happening, and then set the flag in another event so that it will let you pass. Look up a scripting tutorial on flags.

Years
  • Seen Jun 14, 2016
Ok, thanks.

How do you make a sprite indexed? I've followed a few tutorials, but it still shows as unindexed.

Years
  • Seen Nov 2, 2016
Just to clear up one thing - for all those that ask how to index a sprite a quick google search would probably give you your answer extremely easily.

Anyway, to index a sprite go into irfanview and go to image, decrease color depth. Choose 16bit and uncheck steinbeck's dithering. It should change the image to use only 16 colors. In cases where the image uses more the 16 colors, you'll see a lot of changes to the image that'll need recoloring.

P.S. In photoshop setting an image to indexed, and choosing 16 is colors also works. If you choose RGB that'd be a 256 color image.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Nov 2, 2016
Just open the rom in hex editor and find the palette. Each of the 16 colors is 2 bytes so just convert your rgb color code into hex. An alternative solution is to use APE I guess, but why when it's so easily done in a hex editor..

Years
  • Seen Nov 2, 2016
There is, search up how to do movement scripts, it's pretty easy to find. The only problem would be that if you want the person to continuously follow you throughout the entire game, you'd most likely have to add an asm routine for that... But if it's a short walk it's very easy to do.

siper x

I'm Russia, Fear Russia
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 29, 2023
In firered, is there any way to have someone follow you like how pokemon follow you in HGSS?

as far as i know, there isn't because movement scripts will not work from map to map.

my question is:
how do you make a script for starters where you get a different pokemon for gender, and 2 for boy lv 15, 1 for girl lv20? i'm working on a hack, but can't figure this out.

shinyabsol1

Pokemon DarkJasper!?
Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2022
I have a question about world map hacking in FR. I have noticed that there is only one tutorial that specifically targets this (which is not very good, in my opinion) but lots of people who change the world map for their hacks. Not everyone uses this method I am sure, so what is the easiest way to put a new world map into FR? Can it be done simply by inserting the tile set and tile map in Unlz and then palette editing it?

MysticFlames

~Fedoras~
Years
@Hi-Techneon: I really do appreciate all the help you've been, even if your answers haven't quite been what I was looking for. =] But really, thank you.

@colcolstyles: Thanks a bunch; you've provided me with everything I needed to know and more (And it always sounds like you go out of your way to find an answer, so I completely appreciate the help). =D

@siper x: So.... I guess the best way I could answer is show you a quick sample script. I haven't done anything like this, but I'm pretty sure this should work (The guy gets a Gyarados holding a Master ball [for giggles] and Machamp and the girl gets an Igglybuff).

XSE:
Spoiler:

Pokescript:
Spoiler:

pokeguy9000

Ghost Ralts
Years
So im not sure if this has been asked before, but because its pretty specific to my script i thought i would ask.

Im hacking ruby and i wrote a script and tired to add it (i followed a tutorial on youtube) i used pokescript and advance map.
Bascially i want a team aqua guy to talk to you but whenever i walk up and press A most the tiles go green and only so middle ones and most of the edges can be seen.

My script is as follows:

#org Showtext
lock
faceplayer
message $Unlce
$Unlce 1 = Hey, its my favourite newphew \n What am i doing here? \n ... \n ... \n ... \n nothing, buzz off kiddo
boxset6
release
end

can somebody please tell me what to do? im very new to this whole thing and really want to get started, thanks :D

Years
  • Seen Dec 29, 2010
Okay, I've been trying to replace the Hiro/Gold sprites in my Pokemon Silver rom with customized sprites I made. I thought this would be easy, but everyone's bent on editing 3rd gen roms, so it's been difficult finding any specific tools, and half of them won't work properly for me (like the Pokemon Gold/Silver Sprite Editor, for overworld sprites).

So, is there some way I can manually insert my sprites into the rom, and then replace them? I don't know if this is a tile or hex sort of thing, but I'm willing to learn enough about whichever so that I can get them job done.

I very much appreciate any help. :3

MysticFlames

~Fedoras~
Years
I'm sorry I can only selectively answer questions, but when I look back and there's one random question I can answer, I feel that I should answer. XD

@pokeguy9000: So... here, I've edited your script and I've bolded what I changed.

Spoiler:

You're missing the $ in front of the first Showtext and boxset 6 should have a space; so those could have been causing weird nonsense. I also changed the dialogue because left as is, it would have caused lines to overwrite each other. In case you didn't know;
"\n" is used to start a new line
"\l" is used to move the bottom line of text to the top and then place that line on the bottom
"\p" is used to clear the message box and start on the top line.
I would also point out that you shouldn't have spaces around \n, \l or \p.

...I also corrected "nephew", "uncle" and "I" because it was really bothering me. Sorry. >.>

pokeguy9000

Ghost Ralts
Years
Thanks MysticFlames
im really new and the tutorial i watched to try scripting wasn't the clearest
and yes, i am fast, but not accurate, typer so thanks you for your corrections

the green problem has stopped but now the figure is not responding
this may be a different problem all together, something to do with how i added the script or how i copied and pasted it

also im not sure what type of problem this is but when i walk downwards on the first town arrows appear infront of the player like he is walking into a building
again im hacking ruby using a map and pokescript

thanks for your help

Years
Thanks MysticFlames
im really new and the tutorial i watched to try scripting wasn't the clearest
and yes, i am fast, but not accurate, typer so thanks you for your corrections

the green problem has stopped but now the figure is not responding
this may be a different problem all together, something to do with how i added the script or how i copied and pasted it

also im not sure what type of problem this is but when i walk downwards on the first town arrows appear infront of the player like he is walking into a building
again im hacking ruby using a map and pokescript

thanks for your help

Use FSF to find empty space. Copy the offset and open AdvanceMap. Make an event/script and paste the empty offset from FSF there. Click 'open script', open Pokescript, copy your script, and paste it in the script opened with AdvanceMap. Then, simply click compile, and to make sure it's inserted, decompile after compiling and make sure everything's the same. Also, don't forget to make backups sometimes.

sky_queen3

Mimikyu is cute :3
Years
Erm, does anyone know how to make a newly inserted evolution stone item in Fire Red actually evolve the Pokemon? I replaced a mail and changed it to the same numbers as the evo stones have but still has no effect on the Pokemon when I use it. :|

Years
Erm, does anyone know how to make a newly inserted evolution stone item in Fire Red actually evolve the Pokemon? I replaced a mail and changed it to the same numbers as the evo stones have but still has no effect on the Pokemon when I use it. :|

Have you used YAPE to make the Pokémon evolve using the stone? It might be the problem.

sky_queen3

Mimikyu is cute :3
Years
Yeah, done all that. I might try re editing some ??????? items insted, see if that fixes things.

I click to use the item and it just acts as if I pressed B and exits the bag.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back