• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

256/240 color Titlescreen (Firered)

stinger123

I wish to learn .!PKM HACKING!
Years
  • Seen Oct 9, 2010
i'm having trouble... on the step when you are supposed to click on "import a bitmap" in NLZ-GBA Advance, i dont get the screen that is supposed to pop up. what am i doing wrong?

When you click import bitmap a open box should pop up and you have to open up your INDEXED titlescreen to import.
Then you CLICK write to rom and that 'pop up' you were looking for should come up and then continue following the instructions.
Ask me if you have any more problem :)

By the way I am post - poneing rom hacking since I found out if you dont have the original rom you cant download it since it is illegal and I cant trade my ruby rom for firered so I will wait till I get it :(
See Ya people :(
By friend ดูดดื่ม :(
Nice to know you lot :)

Sora's Nobody

The Official Roxas
Years
When you click import bitmap a open box should pop up and you have to open up your INDEXED titlescreen to import.
Then you CLICK write to rom and that 'pop up' you were looking for should come up and then continue following the instructions.
Ask me if you have any more problem :)

By the way I am post - poneing rom hacking since I found out if you dont have the original rom you cant download it since it is illegal and I cant trade my ruby rom for firered so I will wait till I get it :(
See Ya people :(
By friend ดูดดื่ม :(
Nice to know you lot :)
Well, thats ironic! You used 3 pages on the thread and atleast 20 posts because you were desperaty strugling, and know your offering to HELP?

stinger123

Years
  • Seen Oct 9, 2010
Well, thats ironic! You used 3 pages on the thread and atleast 20 posts because you were desperaty strugling, and know your offering to HELP?

20 posts?
Um, listen here, the part he was struggling on is clearly showed in the pictures for the tutorial and I've gone through the process he was struggling on and so did my friend. So I know I've done that bit right.
I only give help to the bits It shows clearly and the bits I know I've done right.

Years
Hey, thanks for this tut. It's clear and nice. However, I can not find the Pokemon logo on nr.'s 2009/2010 or around those numbers. At 2009 there is this pink block. Before and after this number there are credit lines, and other intro things. But no pokemon logo... So where is it, do you know? It does appear when I play the Rom.
pinkblock.png

stinger123

Years
  • Seen Oct 9, 2010
Hey, thanks for this tut. It's clear and nice. However, I can not find the Pokemon logo on nr.'s 2009/2010 or around those numbers. At 2009 there is this pink block. Before and after this number there are credit lines, and other intro things. But no pokemon logo... So where is it, do you know? It does appear when I play the Rom.
pinkblock.png

Hey, it might not be around 2009/2010 because mine was 1991 !!
So check around those numbers because it might be different to you also when looking for the Pokemon Logo it should be in 256 colours :)
Good luck!

shinyabsol1

Pokemon DarkJasper!?
Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2022
Ask me if you have any more problem

thanks for answering my question Stinger123! after three days of checking for a response i didnt think that anyone was going to help me...

anyway, i do have another question about this tut.

on the third step, there are a bunch of palette offsets listed with index numbers...what exactly am i supposed to be replacing at this part? my palette over the listed ones or whatever comes up in ape when i enter offset and change the index?

stinger123

Years
  • Seen Oct 9, 2010
thanks for answering my question Stinger123! after three days of checking for a response i didnt think that anyone was going to help me...

anyway, i do have another question about this tut.

on the third step, there are a bunch of palette offsets listed with index numbers...what exactly am i supposed to be replacing at this part? my palette over the listed ones or whatever comes up in ape when i enter offset and change the index?

Ok on the tut he has a quote an it comes out with all the pallets and offsets Right?
open APE
apepalleteimport.png

(Black Charizard's image)

Open your rom and copy the first offset and place it in the box with two arrows either side, next to 'offeset (HEX)' and near replace.
Go to edit - Changed pallet or adjusted pallet then import. Open your pallet which you imported in ifran view from your titlescreen.

On the screenshot can you see right at the bottom where it has '2' and two arrows either side of it? (Note: IT SHOULD be 1 on your screen) It is the number of pallets you have to replace.
Ok so hit replace, it wont show any message or anything but it will replace.
Then copy the next offset and put it in the top box and go to it.
Then goto the bottom box like last time and goto number two and hit replace.
Then goto the bottom box like last time and goto number three and hit replace.
Then keep doing that.

Tell me if you have any problems and good luck!
:)

shinyabsol1

Pokemon DarkJasper!?
Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2022
Open your rom and copy the first offset and place it in the box with two arrows either side, next to 'offeset (HEX)' and near replace.
Go to edit - Changed pallet or adjusted pallet then import. Open your pallet which you imported in ifran view from your titlescreen.

On the screenshot can you see right at the bottom where it has '2' and two arrows either side of it? (Note: IT SHOULD be 1 on your screen) It is the number of pallets you have to replace.
Ok so hit replace, it wont show any message or anything but it will replace.
Then goto the bottom box like last time and goto number two and hit replace.
Then goto the bottom box like last time and goto number three and hit replace.
Then keep doing that.

Tell me if you have any problems and good luck!

thank you for your help once again, Stinger123!

you fixed both of my other problems. but now i have another:

when i write the titlescreen raw into the rom from Unlz, it appears all messed up in-game! And, when i reloaded the raw back into ntme to check it, it looked the same as the messed up in-game screen. what did i mess up on here? or is there something wrong with irfanview? the raw is an irfanview raw file and when i try to open it there i get an error message that says:

"decode error: Can't load plugin: FORMAT.DLL"

Years
Hey, it might not be around 2009/2010 because mine was 1991 !!
So check around those numbers because it might be different to you also when looking for the Pokemon Logo it should be in 256 colours :)
Good luck!

Yeah the problem was that 256 mode was off.

Now, I have tried to do everything right. However, when I play the ROM, following to the Gengar/Nidorino animation the screen goes black and the game freezes. Also, when I press "start" or "A" instead of watching the animation, music continues to play but the screen goes black. The game doesn't react on buttons being pressed. This seems to be a whole different kind of problem than the other ones in this thread.

I will try again from the beginning, but I'm quite clueless to what I did wrong.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Well, I tried again with a backup. The same thing happened. I think it has something to do with the right offsets and stuff. I might have overwritten some scripts that keep the intro running..? I will try once again on a completely clean ROM. I assume it will work then, but that's not what I want. We will see. If someone can help me: please!

Last edited:

stinger123

Years
  • Seen Oct 9, 2010
Yeah the problem was that 256 mode was off.

Now, I have tried to do everything right. However, when I play the ROM, following to the Gengar/Nidorino animation the screen goes black and the game freezes. Also, when I press "start" or "A" instead of watching the animation, music continues to play but the screen goes black. The game doesn't react on buttons being pressed. This seems to be a whole different kind of problem than the other ones in this thread.

I will try again from the beginning, but I'm quite clueless to what I did wrong.

Thanks in advance!

Glad I could solve your other two problems :)
But...
Im stuck on that because I didn't encounter that problem. :(
You''l have to ask Black Charizard.
Redo it again and carefully follow each step slowly and correctly.
Good luck and I hope you solve your problem :)

Last edited:
Years
Okay, I have tried it on a clean ROM, and it worked. There are only these cosmetic things. After the flashing (white bar moving up) for a second this screen comes up:
vba.png

[Note: this is not exactly the same as was asked before. I already fixed the RAW file for Charizard.]
Which image should I change in UnlzGba to erase these pixel dots?
Thanks in advance.

stinger123

Years
  • Seen Oct 9, 2010
Okay, I have tried it on a clean ROM, and it worked. There are only these cosmetic things. After the flashing (white bar moving up) for a second this screen comes up:
vba.png

[Note: this is not exactly the same as was asked before. I already fixed the RAW file for Charizard.]
Which image should I change in UnlzGba to erase these pixel dots?
Thanks in advance.

Errm there is no thing to erase the pixel dots, its only for the flame's and chaziard and gamefreak thing.
I think in your case its a bug or error which you'll have to ask Black Charizard.
Sorry mate that I cant help you :(

aSeRo141414

zZJoennZz inside
Years
I got a problem like this.. :
Hmm.png

And I follow it... but I try this 5 times,, It's always looks like that... what should I do? did I do wrong in tilesets?

stinger123

Years
  • Seen Oct 9, 2010
I got a problem like this.. :
Hmm.png

And I follow it... but I try this 5 times,, It's always looks like that... what should I do? did I do wrong in tilesets?

I got the exact same problem and I fixed it, refer to all of my old posts ;)

shinyabsol1

Pokemon DarkJasper!?
Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2022
I still haven't been able to get this tut to work. I'm starting to think that I did something wrong on the indexing step. Can someone clarify for me exactly what I am supposed to do in the "decrease color depth box"? Also, does it matter what bright color I edit the first color in the palette to? And what if that first color is NOT black like in the tut?

Thanks in advance.

shinyabsol1

Pokemon DarkJasper!?
Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2022
In irfanview click Image>Decrease Color Depth>then that's it..

I assume that this post was ment to answer my question...but...

..it didnt help me at all. your answer is less helpful than the actual tut.

Can someone please answer my question more clearly?

Back