• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Challenge Ideas & Discussion

Do you feel more people should get into Nuzlockes?

• Yes

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • No

Votes: 12 63.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
OMGOSH EVENT, WHEN WHEN WHEN. And, more important, can I monotype it? :3

Not...really hahaha. You could try, but...well, we'll just say it won't always be monotype. Till the end. Maybe. Meow!

And ummm not really understanding this rare Pokemon challenge, lol. But honestly, after spending hours searching for Riolu and Eevee in Black 2, I don't think I ever want to torture myself by searching for Pokemon with 5% encounter rate ever again. So if the point of the challenge is to find the least common Pokemon on the route, that's more tedious than challenging. idk how catching the first thing you find on the route is a challenge though? There are some challenges that have you do that, but that doesn't make sense to call it a rare Pokemon challenge. Umm...I'm tired so maybe I'm misunderstanding things hahaha. GOOD NIGHT!!

SuperKirbyFan

Weedle trainer
Years
But honestly, after spending hours searching for Riolu and Eevee in Black 2, I don't think I ever want to torture myself by searching for Pokemon with 5% encounter rate ever again.

Try EV training over 170 points off of a 20% encounter rate without the use of power items, macho brace, or pokerus. That was torture (This was in my Weedle Sapphire Solo). No speed button either, it was on cartridge.

Years
  • Seen Sep 24, 2012

In all fairness, all the challenges with the catch the first mon (only) rule are either limiting your team or making you use Pokemon you never used before and they always have a side rule to help to make it challenging

But now I'm curious, I was doing a Duo Species and the grinding was so tedious and I got this question, what do you guys think of using cheats and other 'illegal' means (such as rare candies, X5 exp,lvl 100 enemies with lvl 3 defenses to level up quickly?)to speed up grinding on challenges? Quite frankly I don't think it's too much of a deal unless you're doing a run that depends on time or on the faint = permadeath idea, because otherwise you're just speeding up a boring process

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
But now I'm curious, I was doing a Duo Species and the grinding was so tedious and I got this question, what do you guys think of using cheats and other 'illegal' means (such as rare candies, X5 exp,lvl 100 enemies with lvl 3 defenses to level up quickly?)to speed up grinding on challenges? Quite frankly I don't think it's too much of a deal unless you're doing a run that depends on time or on the faint = permadeath idea, because otherwise you're just speeding up a boring process

That'd be boring and I wouldn't allow it, really. What would be the point of the challenge if you could just cheat and gain levels so quickly? I think it's fine if you're on an emulator to use the space bar and speed up the game, but that's not altering the exp gain or anything really. Rare Candy is fine as long as it's not hacked in by the dozens haha. I mean, I Pickup grind Rare Candy when I do challenges on RS, but that still takes a while. I don't even use them till the end anyway, so eh.

In all fairness, all the challenges with the catch the first mon (only) rule are either limiting your team or making you use Pokemon you never used before and they always have a side rule to help to make it challenging

But that's the point of them. That's their way of being challengeing. I have no problem with the baby Pokemon challenge, even though it's restricting, if that's what you're pining at.

myrrhman

Challenge God
Years
Not...really hahaha. You could try, but...well, we'll just say it won't always be monotype. Till the end.
No monotyping until the end!

They sort of limit your team in a different way though. I mean, if I'm playing Blue for example, and I want a Pidgeot, well I'm getting the Pidgeot on the first route no problem (I think Rattata and Pidgey are about the same rarity, correct me if I'm wrong. If Rattata is rarer than Pidgey, then use the example with Raticate instead). That's already one Pokemon I have that I can plan on having, that I know I'll have for the whole challenge. Many of the "more common" Pokemon are available on multiple routes, so chances are you're going to find one on one of the routes first and then be able to get out of the grass and not go back in on that route. There are actually very few routes that you have to go in grass for an extended period of time (In Red/Blue at least, that's what I do 99% of my challenges on, so that's the series that I use for my points.) Most of them are either optional routes, or walking in the grass on the route is optional.

Yes, there are a couple examples where you can run into a Pokemon that's rarer and worse than the more common Pokemon on the route, like the couple examples that you mentioned. But, there are far more times where the rarer Pokemon are better (again, speaking from the beginning of 1st gen, Nidoran > Rattata, Pikachu > Weedle/Caterpie, any of the other three > Zubat, etc. The list goes on and on.

niallmuz

King Of Water Pokemon
Years
  • Seen Jun 21, 2016
you know at the start of pmd where you do the personality test .. there should be a challenge were you can only use the pokemon you get in the test ino this sounds like a solo run but it would be good and it shouldnt just be certain pokemon in the test it should either just a certain generation of pokemon or every pokemon - id defos play that :)

Years
  • Seen Sep 24, 2012
you know at the start of pmd where you do the personality test .. there should be a challenge were you can only use the pokemon you get in the test ino this sounds like a solo run but it would be good and it shouldnt just be certain pokemon in the test it should either just a certain generation of pokemon or every pokemon - id defos play that :)

You do know that you need to play through it with two pokemon for the first part of the game right?

myrrhman

Challenge God
Years

Are you talking about doing this on PMD or on the main series? Because I'm pretty sure we have PMD challenges that have "versions" that basically do what you're saying, with maybe one extra rule. If you're talking about doing this on the actual series, we've had a challenge called something like "Trainer Personality Examination" that was basically the personality test on PC, and then the OP gave you a team based on your "personality".

niallmuz

King Of Water Pokemon
Years
  • Seen Jun 21, 2016
Are you talking about doing this on PMD or on the main series? Because I'm pretty sure we have PMD challenges that have "versions" that basically do what you're saying, with maybe one extra rule. If you're talking about doing this on the actual series, we've had a challenge called something like "Trainer Personality Examination" that was basically the personality test on PC, and then the OP gave you a team based on your "personality".

oh aha that sounds pretty good actually :)

myrrhman

Challenge God
Years
The Trainer Personality Challenge didn't work very well because the OP kinda had to be there at the right time before people could start their challenges. You MIGHT be able to resurrect that kind of a challenge if you were to run it more like the scramble, where everyone could give everyone else a team.

Years
  • Seen Jan 27, 2014
Well, I'll be posting a few ideas that I have for challenges, but don't really want to do. Anyone can use it, of course! (It'd be better if anyone that uses this would give me credit as well, but it isn't necessary)

-The Fate Challenge
Where you're just going to accept what the game gave you to work with! (IDs are automatically made by the game, the name of the rival and yourself is also decided by the game, soft resetting after accidentally beating down a legendary Pokemon/shiny POkemon/losing to a Leader/E4/Champion is forbidden, soft resetting for shiny Pokemon are forbidden, RNG abusing is forbidden)

-The Rich Person Challenge
Where everything is done through using money! And you only earn money from battles! (Selling items is forbidden, healing using the Pokemon Center is forbidden, ALL items obtained without the usage of your own money is forbidden)

Well, I hope it isn't wrong to post stuff like this. And if anyone wants to ask me on these ideas, go ahead...

Years
  • Seen Sep 24, 2012
-The Fate Challenge
Where you're just going to accept what the game gave you to work with! (IDs are automatically made by the game, the name of the rival and yourself is also decided by the game, soft resetting after accidentally beating down a legendary Pokemon/shiny POkemon/losing to a Leader/E4/Champion is forbidden, soft resetting for shiny Pokemon are forbidden, RNG abusing is forbidden)
How exactly is this a challenge? It's pretty much how I (and most people I assume) play my(their / our) runs normally (and the no reset stuff can easily be circumvented by a hard reset )

myrrhman

Challenge God
Years
Well, I'll be posting a few ideas that I have for challenges, but don't really want to do. Anyone can use it, of course! (It'd be better if anyone that uses this would give me credit as well, but it isn't necessary)

-The Fate Challenge

-The Rich Person Challenge
Where everything is done through using money! And you only earn money from battles! (Selling items is forbidden, healing using the Pokemon Center is forbidden, ALL items obtained without the usage of your own money is forbidden)

Well, I hope it isn't wrong to post stuff like this. And if anyone wants to ask me on these ideas, go ahead...

The fate challenge sounds like every day Pokemon playing to me.

And I think someone has almost made the rich person challenge before, it was just a no pokecenter challenge. But there's a next "step" up from that (the survival challenge, no Pokecenters OR Pokemarts) but that allows you to use the items you don't have to buy (and just find in the wild).

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Maybe all along, people that play the game normally in the manner of the fate challenge have just been doing a challenge all along and not playing normally. :o I used to play like that when I first started though, minus the name thing.

Also, I was looking through an old notebook and found a challenge idea that I abandoned. It was the opposite challenge. You had certain Pokemon to get, similar to the Halloween and Christmas challenges last year, but it was a bit different. I remember one was like "use a Pokemon opposite of what they're known for" so like a special attacking Machamp or something and then one was "use a legendary, but you can only have attacks with 60 base power and under" so yeah. If anyone wants to post this, I'll post the rest of the rules and such for you, just give credit. I have no time to do so because there are three things planned in the near future, haha. I'm already overwhelmed as it is. :P

Years
Hm, yeah now that I think about it my challenge idea makes no sense XD Well, it did in my head at least...

Anyway, I have a new challenge idea (yay) and it'll probably need critiquing so yeah:

*It's long, so I'm spoilering it.
Spoiler:

Well, what do you think? o.o

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I think it's very unique! Not my kind of challenge since I'm not into anything related to Nuzlockes, but I really like it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back