• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Ultimate Monotype Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Mar 18, 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurott01
Hey guys, I don't have an update yet, but I have a question. How do I beat Brock without grinding, just with a Pikachu? I don't want to overgrind, because that defeats the purpose of doing a challenge. If someone could respond, it would be much appreciated. Bye! Oh, and I have no money.

P.S. How do I upload pictures? I tried with my Poison update but it just showed a little icon, not the picture. I know how to take a screen capture with the emulators, but I must be doing something wrong with uploading. Bye!
Just like Griffinbane said, you can't beat Brock without grinding, unless you get lucky with a bunch of critical hits.

As for the screenshots, you have to upload them to a image hosting site first, I use Imgur.com, then after uploading them to the website(like imgur), copy the image URL, paste it to your posting section, and put the
tags around it.

I'm using a picture I used in a previous post as an example.

Here's how it should look if you do it right.

And here is the img url with the tags, take the *s at the ends out out.
[*IMG]http://i.imgur.com/HHTY5IR.png[/IMG*]

Thank you for helping me with the pictures, I'll make sure to do that.

You have no choice but to grind, unfortunately. I did it in yellow and I don't remember what level I finally was at when I defeated Brock but it was well above level 15 (I think I won finally by spamming Slam, level 20). Pikachu's early moveset in yellow isn't much different than in whatever version you're using so there's no way to get around it, unless you get REALLY lucky and somehow pull off 10 critical hits in a row.

Thanks, I was also thinking I could spam Double Team at like level 15 or whatever, but your idea works too.

EDIT: Ok, so I tried the Double Team strategy, but Onix kept using Rock Tomb and it killed me. Remember, I only had one Potion. Anyone have any other ideas?

Last edited:

WarriorCat

Monotype lover!!!!!
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jul 30, 2014
I have a small update for Diamond.

I beat Wake and saved, I have my full team, I always of use 2-4 Pokemon instead of a full team for HM slaves.

x0GJ1wJ.png
s4mDxEo.png
Y395eR7.png

I am also changing Blue and Silver to LeafGreen and SoulSilver for my Water Mono, and Red and Gold to FireRed and HeartGold for my Grass Mono, I'm also not continuing my monotypes until I finish the event challenge.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
I am also neglecting Monotypes until I finish the event challenge.
>.>
<.<
That being said, here's a sign up for another Monotype!

Username: NecrumWarrior
Type: Fighting
Challenge: Ultimate
Games: LeafGreen, HeartGold, Ruby, Platinum, Black

I will be starting this challenge with Black version, since my copy is stagnating right now, and I can catch about half of my team before the second Gym. I should have my new computer in a couple of weeks, but I will try to get an update done on the initial post from my mom's computer.

I apologize for the lack of anything really. I kinda starting losing time to do this in. Really, the only things that have happened are me getting the starter,Twiggy, beating my rival twice, catching an Abra and naming it 'Magic', as per my tradition. I am now level grinding, but haven't even gotten a badge yet. But yeah, I AM still doing this, mind you. I also realize Platnium was like the worst game of the three to choose, because giratina is part Ghost....oh well, too late now. besides, it gives me a challenge.

Last edited:

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
I apologize for the lack of anything really. I kinda starting losing time to do this in. Really, the only things that have happened are me getting the starter,Twiggy, beating my rival twice, catching an Abra and naming it 'Magic', as per my tradition. I am now level grinding, but haven't even gotten a badge yet. But yeah, I AM still doing this, mind you. I also realize Platnium was like the worst game of the three to choose, because giratina is part Ghost....oh well, too late now. besides, it gives me a challenge.

No need to apologize. These things are all go at your own pace, and plenty of people take very long amounts of time to finish. Just look at me! I started lg with bugs in august and only finished last month!

Also, diamond would probably be the worst of the three, not platinum. Dat steel type. >.<

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 20, 2024
Username: KagamiChan
Type: Bug
Game(s):Pokémon Leaf Green, Pokémon Heart Gold, Pokémon Emerald, Pokémon Diamond, Pokémon Black
Current Game: Pokémon Emerald

Current state of things:
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Oct 6, 2020
Username - TheAuraGuardian
Type - Fire
Challenge - Ultimate
Games - FireRed, Soulsilver, Ruby, Platinum, Black

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 20, 2024
IGN: KagamiChan
Game(s):
Pokémon Fire Red, Pokémon Heart Gold, Pokémon Emerald, Pokémon Diamond, Pokémon Black
Current Game:
Pokémon Emerald

Update No.2

Spoiler:

Current Team:

beautifly_zpsa452b6b2.png
Kamitsu

Level: 20
Ability: Swarm
Nature: Quiet
Hold Item: Miracle Seed
Moves:
◦Morning Sun
◦Absorb
◦Gust
◦Stun Spore

dustox_zps82cd8f78.png
Yuudoku

Level:
Ability: Shield Dust
Nature: Modest
Hold Item: Quick Claw
Moves:
◦Moonlight
◦Confusion
◦Protect
◦Gust

ninjaskshiny_zpscc15403e.gif
Tekkaku

Level:
Ability:
Speed Boost
Nature:
Naughty
Hold Item:
Soothe Bell
Moves:
◦Fury Swipes
◦Screech
◦Leech Life
◦Fury Cutter

shedinjashiny_zps8de07d0d.gif
Nukegara
Level: 20
Ability:
Wonder Guard
Nature:
Naughty
Hold Item:
None
Moves:
◦Fury Swipes
◦Screech
◦Leech Life
◦Fury Cutter

Last edited:

WarriorCat

Monotype lover!!!!!
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jul 30, 2014
I don't have an update, but I do have a question.

Can we use Pokewalker Pokemon? I want to use Horsea from Winner's Path in SoulSilver.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 20, 2024

Can we use Pokewalker Pokemon? I want to use Horsea from Winner's Path in SoulSilver.

I'm kinda wondering this myself as I'd wanna be able to use Dream World Pokémon when I decide to take the challenge in Black/White. And well, the concept is kind of the same in both cases @w@

Last edited:
Years
No need to apologize. These things are all go at your own pace, and plenty of people take very long amounts of time to finish. Just look at me! I started lg with bugs in august and only finished last month!

Also, diamond would probably be the worst of the three, not platinum. Dat steel type. >.<

It took me 2 years to get through Kanto & Johto before I restarted and beat all of them within a year. It can really take a while depending on your pace.

Also, I beat Jasmine, but I'm not updating simply because I lack time. Once I own a new game (in this case, Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm) I play it for 3 days or until I beat the main story than usually fade off playing it, so I'm playing it constantly for 3 days right now.

Also, it's my birthday, yay.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 20, 2024
Yay another fellow bug challenger! *o*

I usually play for some time. I try finishing them in about a month or two tops @w@ But sometimes I drag them around for months x.x So I know the feeling.

Before I forget... Happy Birthday ^^

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years

I'm kinda wondering this myself as I'd wanna be able to use Dream World Pokémon when I decide to take the challenge in Black/White. And well, the concept is kind of the same in both cases @w@
Yes, Pokewalker and Dream World are allowed. But, as it is impossible to obtain Winner's Path anymore without hacking, that particular option is not allowed. Sorry.

WarriorCat

Monotype lover!!!!!
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jul 30, 2014
Yes, Pokewalker and Dream World are allowed. But, as it is impossible to obtain Winner's Path anymore without hacking, that particular option is not allowed. Sorry.

On my retail copy of HG and it's Pokewalker, I have never deleted it's save file, so it's almost 100%, I have all events and Pokewalker courses. I was just going to trade it from that to SS.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
Trading is only allowed for pokemon that are in your region's dex but unavailable in your game. As horsea is available in the game without trading, this would still not be allowed. Kind of a weird gray area, I know, but my rules are pretty specific about trading.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 20, 2024
IGN: KagamiChan
Game(s):
Pokémon Leaf Green, Pokémon Heart Gold, Pokémon Emerald, Pokémon Diamond, Pokémon Black
Current Game:
Pokémon Emerald

Update No.3

Spoiler:

Current Team:

beautifly_zpsa452b6b2.png
Kamitsu

Level: 32
Nature: Quiet
Hold Item: Miracle Seed
Moves:
◦Morning Sun
◦Mega Drain
◦Gust
◦Psychic

dustox_zps82cd8f78.png
Yuudoku
Level:
Ability: Shield Dust
Nature: Modest
Hold Item: Quick Claw
Moves:
◦Moonlight
Psychic
Light Screen
◦Gust

ninjaskshiny_zpscc15403e.gif
Tekkaku
Level:
Ability:
Speed Boost
Nature:
Naughty
Hold Item:
None
Moves:
Slash
◦Screech
Swords Dance
Secret Power

illumise_zps8758c4c8.png
Keika
Level:
Ability:
Oblivious
Nature:
Hardy
Hold Item:
None
Moves:
Quick Attack
Thunderbolt
Encore
Moonlight

volbeat_zps4c103af7.png
Hotarubi
Level: 33
Nature: Calm
Hold Item: Soothe Bell
Moves:
◦Signal Beam
◦Confuse Ray
◦Protect
◦Moonlight

Last edited:

Tyranitar042

Tyranitar King
Years
  • Age 34
  • US
  • Seen Feb 15, 2013
I give up Ive restarted 4 times on my fighting monotype bc my save file was corrupted or it simply did not save so idk if im going to do another challenge or what so ill sit on it

WarriorCat

Monotype lover!!!!!
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jul 30, 2014
Trading is only allowed for pokemon that are in your region's dex but unavailable in your game. As horsea is available in the game without trading, this would still not be allowed. Kind of a weird gray area, I know, but my rules are pretty specific about trading.

Okay, no problem.

I have another update, I'll be playing them completely randomly, like I'll play little of one game, and then a little of another.

I haven't continued on Diamond, but I started LG and SS.
I'm too lazy to put pics right now, but I'll put some up on the next update.

On SoulSilver, so far I've gotten to Olivine City with 4 badges, and saved before continuing to Route 40 next member will be caught on Route 41(Chinchou).
Feraligatr Lv.34
- Ice Fang
- Crunch
- Water Gun
- Headbutt

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And on LeafGreen, I started, I'm only saved at Viridian City, after the Parcel stuff.
I also Hacked in Shellder at level 5 since he's only available in FR.
Squirtle Lv.8
- Tackle
- Tail Whip
- Bubble
-

Shellder Lv.5
- Tackle
- Withdraw
-
-

Status
Not open for further replies.