• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Black-and-white films

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 5, 2017
Do you watch them?

If you wouldn't watch one, is it just because of lack of colour, or is it because you don't like old films? (if you don't like them maybe you could explain why as well)

If you wouldn't want to watch a black-and-white film because you don't like old films, then would you watch a modern movie that was purposefully made in black and white? (Schindler's List, for example.)

Last edited:
Years
If someone says Sin City I will slap them

I have watched a few of them. Sunset Boulevard and Touch of Evil are the two I remember. But it was a while since I have watched one.​

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen yesterday
Ah, black-and-white. Love 'em. Some of the better ones I have seen are Sunset Boulevard, A Streetcar named Desire, Adam's Rib and Roman Holiday. Easily the best era of pictures, by far.

zekes

Banned
Years
  • Seen Mar 26, 2014
I haven't watched black and white movies and I don't find it nice also because it has poor effects though others says it is a good flick to watch and classical.

Ayselipera

I've seen a number of black and white films. I don't have any problems if a movie is lacking color, but if given the option I probably would be more swayed to go with a full colored movie. Sometimes I just have to be in the mood for a black and white movie or else I'm not really going to get into it.

A few movies in black and white that I've seen are:
- The Birds
- What a Wonderful Life
- Them!
- War of the Worlds
- The Day the Earth Stood Still

Capris

Banned
Years
  • Seen Mar 25, 2011
The difference between black and white films and colored films is that of age and nothing else so I don't see why somebody would prefer them over colored movies unless they were born back then. The movies are outdated in my opinion and don't stand up to what's been offered in the last 30 or so years. They're too corny or 'classic' for me.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 5, 2017
The difference between black and white films and colored films is that of age and nothing else so I don't see why somebody would prefer them over colored movies unless they were born back then. The movies are outdated in my opinion and don't stand up to what's been offered in the last 30 or so years. They're too corny or 'classic' for me.
Some people prefer plot over visual effects, and I'd say that the age of something is largely irrelevant to the plot quality. Not all old films are 'corny', you just need to find the ones worth watching.

But what do you say to modern films that are purposefully made without any colour?

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
I have no problem with black and white.

Schindler's List was an artistic decision and isn't 100% in black and white. Pretty sure that little girl had some colour to her.

Anyway, for modern films that try to go black and white... please shoot on film. Don't shoot on digital. Black and white does not look good to me without natural film grain.

Capris

Banned
Years
  • Seen Mar 25, 2011
Some people prefer plot over visual effects, and I'd say that the age of something is largely irrelevant to the plot quality. Not all old films are 'corny', you just need to find the ones worth watching.

But what do you say to modern films that are purposefully made without any colour?
Yeah I can see that it's just in my experience old films don't have the best plots either. You said it though maybe I just haven't seen the good ones.

But Dracula is definitely one of the corniest things I have ever seen lol. Most every old film is, and it's not because they have bad plots it's because they weren't able to be presented as they are today. Back in the dizzle models crashing into each other were gorgeous but nowadays they're laughable at best.

I just don't like them it's a personal preference. :(

Modern films without color are fine.

groteske

lurker
Years
  • Age 34
  • NC
  • Seen Feb 20, 2012
Doesn't make a difference to me, provided the plot & theme are strong enough in the first place. Ingmar Bergman's The Seventh Seal is one of my absolute favorites, then there's Seven Samurai and Yojimbo by Akira Kuwasomethin' that are decently good too.

But Dracula is definitely one of the corniest things I have ever seen lol. Most every old film is, and it's not because they have bad plots it's because they weren't able to be presented as they are today. Back in the dizzle models crashing into each other were gorgeous but nowadays they're laughable at best.

Haha, agreed. But if you think Dracula is bad, you should check out Nosferatu. It's silent and color-filtered (or whatever the term is) to boot. Horribly horribly cheesy. Best viewed under influence with friends.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 18, 2024
I don't usually watch old black and white films...mainly because I find a lot of them un-interesting. However, I watched "Some Like It Hot" the other day - it was quite funny. For some reason most of the old films I like are late 50s / early 60s colour films.

I've never really seen black and white modern films, other than something called Persephone or something like that - we were forced to watch it in R.E, it made no sense and I slept through it :P
I've watched a modern film given a lot of sepia - O Brother, Where Art Thou?. It was quite good.

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
Years
I love to watch them because they are so corny its good. xD But my favorite drama black and white film would have to be Sunset Boulevard. L.A can be cruel sometimes.

HinaBaby

#1 Spongebob Fan!
Years
I don't watch these movies back then, but my mom I saw my mom watching one, which made me watch it too, it seems fun. I felt like I was one of the people watching that movie in the old times.

Margot

some things are that simple
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2022
I really like black and white films, I think there's definitely an artistic difference between these and colored films. Back then they put more thought into little details and over expressing emotions, and I think they're fun :)

I actually got a box set of 15 classic movies for 5 bucks, gotta love specials like those!

Years
I like black and white films, but a lot of the Hollywood classics leave me a little unsatisfied because they do have a lot of differences with modern movies in terms of pace, direction, and especially humor. A lot of things which were funny to an audience from decades ago can't carry a movie for me even if I can appreciate the humor.

Probably the best thing I saw in B&W was Metropolis after they recovered some lost footage recently. That's a pretty entertaining movie for something that has no color nor audible dialogue. It's got some great music though.

B&W is great for mystery and suspense. Hitchcock is great in black and white. There's also a pretty good movie called Les Diaboliques which has some thrilling parts in it.

Back