• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Have you ever taken a break from Pokemon completely?

Taemin

move.
Years
  • Age 36
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Yeah, all the way back during Johto.

That series / region didn't hold my interest much, and I fell out of it until Hoenn came along.

Not since then, though.

CelticsPhan

Get Poke'd
Years
I took a break during Gen V because Pokemon was deemed childish by my brother, and I was tired of getting made fun of. Emulators allowed me to catch up on BW/BW2 and I'm glad I could.

He still doesn't know ;)

Powerserge

The Imminent Victor
Years
When I was a kid, my mother refused to buy ruby/sapphire for me because she said Pokemon was a toxic influence, so I stopped playing for two gens because of that. She was convinced that Pokemon was a huge time-waster, and I was one of those over-achievers so she didn't want anything to get in the way of that.

Didn't get back into Pokemon until Black/White came out. I took quite a break!

CronicHigh

All hail lord Goomy
Years
I remember skipping Gen 4 and 5.
It was a big break for me to take since the previous gen before (Gen 3) was my favorite gen (And still is btw)
I took the break thinking nothing would top gen 3 and it still hasn't.
But when I looked back on it when buying my 3ds, I thought it was a stupid reason all together.
I've gone back and played both 4 and 5, and 5 is probably my #3 gen now.
#4 is still the worst to me due to bias opinion though.

Beloved

Fictionally Destructive
Years
Currently on break from Pokemon. I preordered my boyfriend his copy of Omega Sapphire, but didn't get mine. This past gen kinda upset me a bit. Don't get me wrong, they were great games, even if the Mega Evolution and Fairy-type additions seems a bit rushed, but that's not what made me take a break.

What did it was the blatant exclusion from most events. To me, it seems like with the state of technology these days, doing global events should be the norm, but instead, there were more exclusive events for Japan than the rest of the world combined, because not only did they get what we got, but they also received more special events than any other country as well. I know they have Pokemon Centres, but that does not stop GameFreak from using GameStop, as they have in the past, to release events over in the US, or EB Games in the UK.

Years
I've never taken a complete break from the games but I did slow down a lot after gen 3. Outside of slowing down, I don't usually play the older games more than a few times. I've only went though gen 4 games 1-2 times before I stopped playing them and I haven't beaten White 2/Black 2.

I stopped watching the anime and collecting cards after gen 2. The anime didn't really hold my interest and I didn't have enough money to buy cards.

Basculin

Dragonite Fan
Years
I have never taken a break from the Pokemon games or the anime really. I can say that SoulSilver and HeartGold were some of my least favorites. I plan on attempting SS again, so hopefully that will change. :) I usually take a break between games and anime seasons. Unfortunately, I finish the game quickly after the release date. This makes it difficult for me to enjoy playing after I beat the Elite Four and such because, frankly, I don't know what to do! That's what happened in X especially. I'm also just so busy with school, work, sports, social life, etc. that Pokemon takes a back seat in my life at times. It's upsetting, but that's life! I'm really excited for ORAS though as Hoenn is my favorite region. Hopefully I get back into it like I did when White came out!!

Sometimes I wish I could just have no obligations and sit on my butt and play Pokemon all the time. :)

La Espada

Captain Ressentiment
Years
I lost interest during gen 4 which was right around the time I started high school. I didn't lose interest because I thought I was getting too old it's just that the series was getting redundant to me. I initially skipped out on gen 5 entirely until X & Y got me back into the series. After that I went back and played Black and White 2 for the first time and thoroughly enjoyed those.

Colress Machine

The Colress Machine broke...
Years
  • Age 28
  • USA
  • Seen Aug 16, 2019
Inbetween 2010 and 2012 I kind of took a break from Pokémon. I never really said I'm quitting Pokémon, it just fell on my priority list and I didn't really care about it all that much. But later on in late 2012 I started collecting the trading cards, bought White 2, and got back into the franchise altogether and it has stuck since then.

Years
I have almost only played League of Legends the past year, but now I have started to bring back my interest in Pokemon again! :P Escpeccially in card making, which I publish on Deviantart ^^Check out my site! :D
You can find the link on my profile
Working with a Mega Shiny EX pokemon project right now ;3

Back