• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Defensive assistance, please help?

Years
  • Seen Aug 8, 2012
Hey all! I have DEFENSE but no Special Defense in my team. I'm in need of a specially defensive poke to fill in the gap. Here's my ideas, if you have others, or input to improv them I'd really appreciate it! What do y'all think? Oh and I mostly need a wall for the most common threats like reuniclus, hydreigon, rotom-w, etc.

Umbreon: -Payback -Heal Bell?? -Wish -Toxic/Protect
.I really like this. The synchronize and heal bell combo seems very useful. A long with healing any other crippled pokes. Great counter for that pesky hydreigon and reuniclus imo. Only problem is it seems only effective with heal bell.. but I don't hack or pokesav, so I can't get it until b/w2 comes out /: Any temporary move for heal bell you think will work well enough until then?

Tentacruel: -Scald -Protect/Ice Beam -Rapid Spin -Toxic Spikes??
.Perfect for the typical Hydreigon (other than the rare earth power), and Rotom-W with trick (i plan to put black sludge on it). I honestly don't care for toxic spikes /: You don't always want to poision everything ya know? Like I'd prefer being able to use a status like wil-o-wisp on a physical attacker. Also those pesky guts pokemon.. Useful though, but meh. Any replacements for toxic spikes?

Jellicent: -Scald -Recover -Wil-o-wisp/toxic -Taunt/Ice Beam/ Shadow Ball
.I absolutely LOVE the typing on this thing. Cursed body and Water Absorb are both useful too. Perfect for some pesky fighting types and a few others. But I just dunno.. a trick will cripple it, tentacruel can probably take an electric type move much better, and just.. ehhh.. I'd prefer tentacruel, what do you think?

Before any say Chansey or Blissy.. one I can't, like I said, no pokesav and and gen hopping is hard for me with seismic toss.. and two I hate them, over used so much to the point where it disgusts me, and in all honesty I think umbreon is much better.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Ferrothorn is a good specially defensive Pokemon to fill in one of your gaps:
-Stealth Rock/Spikes
-Leech Seed
-Power Whip/Protect
-Gyro Ball/Thunder Wave/Protect
Nature: Relaxed
EVs: 252 HP/88 Def/168 SDef
Item: Leftovers/Shed Shell
(even though this Ferrothorn uses a physically defensive spread with most of the defensive EVs in Special Defense, it still takes special hits well. You can tweak the EV spread if you want, as long as you keep it at max HP)

Also, it may be a better idea to give out your Pokemon's natures and EV spreads. And all of your Pokemon already have high Special Defense; they're just using physically defensive spreads.

Years
  • Seen Aug 8, 2012
Ferrothorn is a good specially defensive Pokemon to fill in one of your gaps:
-Stealth Rock/Spikes
-Leech Seed
-Power Whip/Protect
-Gyro Ball/Thunder Wave/Protect
Nature: Relaxed
EVs: 252 HP/88 Def/168 SDef
Item: Leftovers/Shed Shell
(even though this Ferrothorn uses a physically defensive spread with most of the defensive EVs in Special Defense, it still takes special hits well. You can tweak the EV spread if you want, as long as you keep it at max HP)

Also, it may be a better idea to give out your Pokemon's natures and EV spreads. And all of your Pokemon already have high Special Defense; they're just using physically defensive spreads.

Well the thing is I already have a ferrothorn on my team. It's more of a physical set though. Takes special hits well, but eeehh.. I'm just not feeling that secure about special defenses. But I do really like your idea! I think I might swap my ferrothorn for your set. Seems much more versatile and effective, I like it! And yeah they all do haha, especially umbreon. I'm sure I will use that umbreon in the future. But I need a temporary special defensive pokemon. Thank you for the set and advice! And next time I post i'll make sure to put the ev spreads ^^

Years
  • Seen Aug 9, 2012
umbreon methinks would be a good idea, it has great Sp. Def and could easily become a wall

Back