< >
Hello, guest! Please log in or register.

The PokéCommunity

Go Back     The PokéCommunity Forums > Create & Discover > Game Development Map Showcase and Review Thread

Notices

Game Development Your number one stop for anything related to creating games (except ROM hacks). You can even make your own!

Reply Post Reply

Old September 29th, 2015 (1:01 AM).

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglink198 View Post
Thanks again for the advice .
With your advice I've made major improvements to the map.
This is the third version of my map.
You might want more thickly placed palm trees at the top, it looks like you can just walk between all of them. And even if the passability doesn't let you, it still appears as if you can so it will be slightly annoying to the player.

Relevant Advertising!

Old September 29th, 2015 (4:51 AM).
Hyped about Magearna (but still Gardevoir's fan)

Nature: Timid
Hello, some reviews about my maps?

Starter town:
Spoiler:

Route 1001
Spoiler:

Nova Town (2nd town)
Spoiler:
Old September 29th, 2015 (5:46 PM).

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRaCkZ View Post

Starter town:
Spoiler:

Route 1001
Spoiler:

Nova Town (2nd town)
Spoiler:
Hello, I'm fairly new to map making so I'm not sure how well my advice is at the moment.

For the Starter town:
I would suggest extending the pathways in between the houses. They are currently one tile wide which isn't much room for the player to walk through. I say you should make them about the same width as it is upon exiting your starter town. Another thing is for the water portion of your map the rocks don't match the water tiles you used it looks as though they are floating on the surface of the water instead of being submerged halfway in the water. I would suggest investing in a rock tile that looks as though it is halfway underwater and halfway on the surface. Or changing the water tiles to a FR/LG water tiles that would blend in with the rocks.

For Route 1001:
I would suggest ending the path tiles right before you hit the grass. Generally speaking in the official games and in fan games the path tiles end just before you hit the wild grass. Another thing is the ledge on the bottom left I think you should have it facing the other way; So there can be a short cut upon returning through that route. It would also make the player follow the path you laid out to the first patch of grass and pass by the route sign. instead of hoping straight into the grass.

For Nova Town:
I Would suggest adding another building to the bottom portion of your map or just moving one of the buildings down to the bottom because everything being on the top half in one area looks kinda weird. Also the path tile going to the orange building should continue after the stairs too be underneath the building like in the others. One more thing the red building looks as though the shadow was removed in the middle portion.

All in all it's a good start
Old September 29th, 2015 (5:59 PM).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mej71 View Post
You might want more thickly placed palm trees at the top, it looks like you can just walk between all of them. And even if the passability doesn't let you, it still appears as if you can so it will be slightly annoying to the player.
Thanks for the advice I couldn't agree more they just didn't look right. I ultimately changed the tree tiles all together. I also changed some of the path ways
Attached Thumbnails
Ainro uni 4.png‎  
Old September 30th, 2015 (4:48 AM).

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRaCkZ View Post

Starter town:
Spoiler:

Route 1001
Spoiler:

Nova Town (2nd town)
Spoiler:
Layout-wise the two towns are nice. My one suggestion would be changing the tree border - at the moment there aren't enough of them, so it looks like the player can just walk straight through them.

I think the route would be better served by having the grass more spaced out in various clusters, rather than one big clump of it. Perhaps extend the route a little to accommodate this?
Old October 3rd, 2015 (12:55 AM).
Fairy Tail Trash

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglink198 View Post
Thanks for the advice I couldn't agree more they just didn't look right. I ultimately changed the tree tiles all together. I also changed some of the path ways
I think your map could use some more details, it looks quite empty. Maybe some signs that people are living there? Benches, maybe some papers on the ground, etc C: Just be creative!

Here are 3 maps of my fangame:

Hometown:
Spoiler:

Some beach (Just ignore the guy standing there)
Spoiler:

The Player's house:
Spoiler:

"It is absurd to divide people into good and bad.
People are either charming or tedious." - Oscar Wilde
Old October 6th, 2015 (1:21 PM).
X-Class Project, Derxwna, #003

Nature: Lax
Mulberry Woods (Valley? I haven't decided what this would actually be, because it doesn't look very woodsy.) It's a small transitory map leading to a place called the Dilapidated Shrine, where a small plot event happens in my game. A lot of the trees in the south side are just there for space filling, though I'm debating doing some stuff with the mountain and curving it around the bottom.
Spoiler:
Development Blog:
For more information future news and updates to any projects, the following blogs are where I post information. You can usually hit me with a message there when it comes to bug reports or feedback, or general conversation about something.
Game Projects:
In Progress:
Old October 7th, 2015 (1:03 AM).
Helix Follower

You can cut lot of useless space near the borders, where the player will never be able to see what's here. That will reduce the map size, which will be better for performances.
Just see in-game how far you can see on the left and down sides, and delete what's not view-able. Except of course if you're planning to do something here.
Praise Helix.
Old October 12th, 2015 (9:26 AM).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigelreaf View Post
I think your map could use some more details, it looks quite empty. Maybe some signs that people are living there? Benches, maybe some papers on the ground, etc C: Just be creative!

Here are 3 maps of my fangame:

Hometown:
Spoiler:

Some beach (Just ignore the guy standing there)
Spoiler:

The Player's house:
Spoiler:

Really liking your maps. Here are my comments.

1. Really liking it. It feels woodsy and peaceful.
The one thing I'm worried about is that the trees are pretty far apart from each other and look like you'd be able to walk between them, which is probably not intended. Though it could be nice to take advantage of this and make it some kind of 'maze' and hide some items in there. Just an idea.

2.I don't know if the water is supposed to be surfable, but it looks really shallow. It kind of looks like a very large puddle. What i'd do is edit the seeweed tiles so that it looks like they're coming out of the water, like the rocks instead of just sitting on top of it. Don't just remove them though, they look nice.

3. Not much to say here, it's a npc house. It looks good!

I like the graphics you're using. Are they custom or from a public tileset?
Old October 15th, 2015 (9:01 AM). Edited October 15th, 2015 by Maruno.

Sorry about the double-post, but I posted my maps of the routes leading up to Fuschia City on Relicscastle so I figured I should post it here as well. These routes always kind of bored me so I decided to do make something new with them. I originally wanted to make it a Savannah, but I felt it would've been a bit redundant with the Safari Zone so close by. With Koga being a poison-type Gym Leader and all, I thought a swamp would make a lot of sense.
Route 13 still has the fence maze that makes no sense, but I added a beach because there aren't any beaches in Kanto and I wanted a reason to use the beach tiles because it made sense thematically.

Spoiler:

The Pokemon distribution is mostly the same as in the original (except you know, fused Pokemon). It was already mostly poison-types anyways. I just added Grimer (and Koffing? Can't remember.) as well as some water-type Pokemon.
Anyway, what do you think?
Old December 1st, 2015 (9:38 PM). Edited December 2nd, 2015 by hedger.

Nature: Mild
Spoiler:

okay I have a headache. First attempt at making a map. Didn't really turn out how I wanted it to be but eh, could have been worse. Will redo the mountains at the top but for the moment it just gives me a headache trying to look at it. It's supposed to be the first town in a game I'm thinking of making, with a slight mountain setting but yeah, idk. Any feedback is nice.

Creativity isn't my strong suit graphics wise.

Edit: I made a couple edits to map, just fixed up some tiling errors/mountains at the top left and added a few trees (missing a couple rows of tiles but I was just trying to fit everything in one screenshot). Still not sure how I feel about the difference between the top left and top right of the map though (trees v mountains).
Old December 2nd, 2015 (11:33 AM).
Semi-pro Game Dev

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedger View Post
Spoiler:

okay I have a headache. First attempt at making a map. Didn't really turn out how I wanted it to be but eh, could have been worse. Will redo the mountains at the top but for the moment it just gives me a headache trying to look at it. It's supposed to be the first town in a game I'm thinking of making, with a slight mountain setting but yeah, idk. Any feedback is nice.

Creativity isn't my strong suit graphics wise.

Edit: I made a couple edits to map, just fixed up some tiling errors/mountains at the top left and added a few trees (missing a couple rows of tiles but I was just trying to fit everything in one screenshot). Still not sure how I feel about the difference between the top left and top right of the map though (trees v mountains).
Your map looks fine, albeit a little too spacious mostly on the south end. Also, if you want to have an easier time of mapping mountainous terrain, I'd recommend making it one rise in elevation at a time, working from the bottom up.

Old December 3rd, 2015 (5:03 PM).

Nature: Mild
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBM_Christopher View Post
Your map looks fine, albeit a little too spacious mostly on the south end. Also, if you want to have an easier time of mapping mountainous terrain, I'd recommend making it one rise in elevation at a time, working from the bottom up.
Thanks. I tried redoing it a bit. Still feels a bit spacious in the middle of the map Will fix up borders later (just copy pasted the map and then made changes rather than making it from scratch). Does it look nicer than the last map though?

Spoiler:
Old December 4th, 2015 (10:17 AM).

You could keep the map as spacious as it is now, and since it is a town, maybe fill that area with a group of NPCs having an argument, that you settle and get an item as a reward?
Features of Pokemon Entropy

The black circular "doodles" in my avatar are actually my username written in Gallifreyan. Yes I'm a Whovian.
Old December 21st, 2015 (3:20 PM). Edited December 21st, 2015 by Schrroms.

Area 2 from Kanto's Safari zone.
I know there's a bunch of shadow errors, but I'll fix these later. Thoughts on the map?
Old December 25th, 2015 (9:26 PM).
Buizels FTW!

Nature: Jolly
I like it, but is it supposed to be that the safari zone is laid out like a route? It looks very much progression based to me, like it would be a very good actual route, but as a safari zone area it doesn't seem to fit. Idk, it's probably just me.

Get your own one here http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=307712

Old December 26th, 2015 (3:40 PM). Edited December 26th, 2015 by TBM_Christopher.
Semi-pro Game Dev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewery1 View Post
I like it, but is it supposed to be that the safari zone is laid out like a route? It looks very much progression based to me, like it would be a very good actual route, but as a safari zone area it doesn't seem to fit. Idk, it's probably just me.
Well, you might want to take that up with Pokemon Red/Blue.

Old December 27th, 2015 (5:21 PM).
Buizels FTW!

Nature: Jolly
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBM_Christopher View Post
I-

Okay.

Get your own one here http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=307712

Old December 29th, 2015 (2:05 PM).

Send a message via Skype™ to Fakemon123
Hey, I'm kinda new here, but I've made some maps, and I was wondering if anyone has feedback for me. Here are the finished maps I have of my game...

Starting Town (Quivver Town):
Spoiler:

Quivver Meadow (Meadow behind Quivver Town, in which you catch your starter):
Spoiler:

Route One (On Island and Bridge to Mainland)
Spoiler:

Second Town (Pinedrift Town)
Spoiler:

PokeCenter:
Spoiler:

or

(Depending on what town you're in, it may have a Purification Chamber in the back for Shadow Pokemon.)

Feedback would be much appreciated, thanks!

P.S. Route One is under construction until the fifth gym, in preparation for a Marine Tube-like bridge to the Mainland...
Old January 10th, 2016 (12:50 PM).

Nature: Careful
Pretty nice, Pinedrift Town is pretty, only wierd thing is the river being so much higher than the beach, normally water always searches a way down, but here it could be just a very narrow lake.

Poke Center looks neat too, the Quiver Town/Meadow are also nice, just Route 1 with the beach looks wierd, too many trees on it imo.
Old January 14th, 2016 (12:20 PM).
Elite Trainer

Nature: Rash
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Ashedragon
It's not quite finished (I haven't even done view calculations for the trees on the outskirts yet), but the basic idea is there and it took quite a bit of time! haha. It's hard to map this way, but I love it.
Spoiler:
|
"Trees don't grow in straight *#$&^)@ rows."
Old February 13th, 2016 (11:53 AM).

this thread needs more activity, so here's something I made

i love the FRLG tileset, the colors just blend together so nicely
PokeSharp Engine
Old February 13th, 2016 (3:38 PM).

Wasn't exactly sure where to post this, but here seems the best place:

I've been conflicted over the shadow overlaps on my maps, shown below. I think it looks better without the one pixel-wide lines at the edge of the shadow, but would like an opinion. To the left is after I fixed it, to the right is how it looked originally. That was a really horrible explanation of something pretty simple, but I've highlighted it in the image:

Any opinions on which looks nicer would be appreciated. It's a little thing but was bugging me.

---

@Oxysoft, I like that map, can't really fault anything with it. I guess the only thing I could say is there are a few areas of open space, but that's the FR/LG style and I like my maps crowded, so it's not a problem, more of a preference. :p
Nice work!
Old February 16th, 2016 (8:33 PM).
a burst of color
Platinum Tier

Nature: Lonely
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxysoft View Post
this thread needs more activity, so here's something I made
Spoiler:

i love the FRLG tileset, the colors just blend together so nicely
I like this map a lot! You've done a good job with the natural style mapping and the terrain is fairly interesting and varied.
The things I don't like so much:
- No tree shading. Ultimately it's up to you, but if you're staying true to the FRLG tileset I think you should shade it properly.
- The southern trees are in straight rows, whereas most of the other trees alternate and have a more natural style. You've done a good job with the natural tree placement throughout most of the map but I'd change those southern trees.
- I'm not a fan of 1 tile wide stairs in any situation, they always make me feel cramped when going through that area in a game. I'd widen it to two tiles at least.
- In Firered style mapping, the rocky surface where the item ball is is not meant to be walkable terrain. Similarly, mountain tiles should not directly touch water tiles. Again, it's ultimately up to you and it doesn't really detract from the map itself.

Anyways, I have a map to post as well. This is Locase Town, one of the early cities in my game.
Spoiler:
Old February 17th, 2016 (7:19 AM).
Semi-pro Game Dev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow View Post
I like this map a lot! You've done a good job with the natural style mapping and the terrain is fairly interesting and varied.
The things I don't like so much:
- No tree shading. Ultimately it's up to you, but if you're staying true to the FRLG tileset I think you should shade it properly.
- The southern trees are in straight rows, whereas most of the other trees alternate and have a more natural style. You've done a good job with the natural tree placement throughout most of the map but I'd change those southern trees.
- I'm not a fan of 1 tile wide stairs in any situation, they always make me feel cramped when going through that area in a game. I'd widen it to two tiles at least.
- In Firered style mapping, the rocky surface where the item ball is is not meant to be walkable terrain. Similarly, mountain tiles should not directly touch water tiles. Again, it's ultimately up to you and it doesn't really detract from the map itself.

Anyways, I have a map to post as well. This is Locase Town, one of the early cities in my game.
Spoiler:
It looks nice; I'd move the house nearest the gym 1 tile to the left to break up the "clumped" feeling that pair of houses gives. Aside from that, you've got a nice clean layout for your town, and if it weren't for the colors of the tiles, it'd likely pass as a fr/lg styled town.

Reply Post Reply
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links