• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] What would you like to see in a Pokémon fangame?

Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2014
I think this would helpful for all the Game Devs out their who are making a fan game. That way they know what they want to strive for and how to make the fans happy.

Just post what you think makes a good Pokemon Game such as Including Old Characters, Custom Characters, Custom Trainers that can be built in game, anything you can think of.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Aug 12, 2023
1. Include all regions of the main pokemon games
2. DS graphics
3. Choose to start with one of the main protagonists in their home region. After they've defeated their home region, they can go to the next region. E.G a fanmade storyline can be implemented for Red when he goes to the Johto region, then the end of that region Red will continue to train at Mt. Silver, then be defeated by Gold 3 years later and so he decides to continue his journey to the other regions (oh yeah I've got ideas, lol).

That's basically it. Sorry if it sounded like a lot, but that'd be my dream pokemon game. Well, actually my dream pokemon game is a full 3D rendered RPG inline with my other suggestions.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
1. Include all regions of the main pokemon games
What's so good about this?
You really want to battle with your 100 levels against trainers' level 100s?
If you think you won't have level 100s, you will ;)
In the third or fourth region your Pokémon party will surely be 100 level and to balance it, trainers would also have to have level 100s...
Not to mention 5th region... that would be simple overkill with base trainers having at least 5 level 100s...

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Aug 12, 2023

What's so good about this?
You really want to battle with your 100 levels against trainers' level 100s?
If you think you won't have level 100s, you will ;)
In the third or fourth region your Pokémon party will surely be 100 level and to balance it, trainers would also have to have level 100s...
Not to mention 5th region... that would be simple overkill with base trainers having at least 5 level 100s...

You know there is a concept called balancing :). The game would have to be less about grinding (fighting wild pokemon for experience) and more about linear progression, sure. One thing you could do, for instance, is the gym battles or elite four could have pokemon 2-5 levels higher than your highest leveled pokemon in your party no matter what level your pokemon are (just as an example).

Also, on my HG game at the moment, my pokemon are all level 58 (only the 4 that I battle with, and the other 2 are for HMs). This is right after battling Blue/Green for the earth badge, and I very rarely ever battle wild pokemon.

So, in conclusion, having pokemon being level 100 by the time the 3rd or even 4th region comes around is simply not true. :). Leveling just gets harder and harder! (depending on the pokemon's experience type) Have you played any of the pokemon games??

Gmack

I'm back!
Years
You are very much not thinking about OTHERS here. I, myself, grind on wild Pokemon whether I need to or not! Most times I just overpower my Pokemon so much, it's just too easy at that point until I reach the harder parts in the game.
Plus, the game's files would be too large to upload pretty much most areas, and it would take too long to download. Think logically here! Plus, as awesome as all regions in the game would sound, it would get boring after a while. Fighting the same trainers over... and over.. and over again get's tiring to me. Like Ash493 said, everything would be at Lv. 100, and nobody likes to be bored at a level like that ._.
---------
What I, personally, would like to see in a fan-game is an original storyline, unique graphics styles, and gameplay elements that have that "Pokemon" feel from the Gameboy games, yet a game that adds new and exciting elements that give you a tight and consistent experience. Also, build the game with the same styles gameplay-wise, but add your own style of mapping to the game, some unique dialogue, and especially some after-game content. That's just my personal opinion, though.

WackyTurtle

Developer
Years
An original storyline would be nice. And I'm not just talking about a slight deviation off the current formula - I'm talking no gyms, no elite four etc. I know a lot of fan games are doing this but there are just too many posts I see where the premise is you're just a kid in a small town who goes and fights gyms and stops an evil organisation.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Aug 12, 2023
I apologize for sounding like my idea was a end all be all for every pokemon fan game, (and let's face it, the tone of my post did suggest that). I still think that level 100 pokemon (if you use the same pokemon) would be unreachable even by the end of the 4th region. RPG Man brings a solution :).

Anyway, some other ideas for a pokemon fan game I have involve the pokemon story being set in ancient times.

DarkDoom3000

Super Pokemon Eevee Edition
Years
An interesting way to "fix" the overleveling problem... is doing what the anime does and reset the pokmeon.

so for each region, you select a new starter. and go through the region collecting a bunch of new pokemon. once you defeat the league, you can reuse pokemon from any region in that region.

But at that point, why not just make 5 different games with transferrable saves. or a mechanic like that.

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
  • Seen yesterday
Cut the exp gain by half! On other hand the Elite Four of first region have around level 30 pokémon O__o.

Try something like:
Code:
multiplier = 100 + (pokemonLevel-20)*4
multiplier = 100 if multiplier<100
expToNextLevel = oldExpToNextLevel*multiplier/100

Warning with rare candies.

What I want: More original ideas, more than 90% of ideas are: All regions in one game; a portable game remake; a new region with eight type-based badges with ancient legend about the cover pokémon than villainous team try to catch (RSE/DPP clones).

You can think on more creative game styles! How about a game that you are a bad guy?

Plus, the game's files would be too large to upload pretty much most areas, and it would take too long to download.
The things that uses file size are mp3 and videos. I think that is possible to make a game with all five regions with less of 50 MB.

Years
  • Age 35
  • UK
  • Seen Mar 26, 2024
The things that uses file size are mp3 and videos. I think that is possible to make a game with all five regions with less of 50 MB.

The graphics can use a lot as well. Lightning yellow graphics folder is 170MB, though 110MB of that is animated battlers (just Kanto and evos, all animated is 420MB)

It would be close, probably closer to 60MB than 50MB. Lightning yellow is missing the kanto league still, and its data alone is 10MB, the audio is 110 MB

RaulCortez

Maybe active...sometimes?
Years
I think the problem and the reason why so many fan games are never finished is exactly because of things like this. Aspiring game designers don't design their game.

1. YES! My game will have all the regions!

Think again. You're saying your game will have all the regions, with all its NPC's, that will have their dialogues, with all its houses, all its routes, all its Pokémon on their routes. Let's not talk about the events that should be to make them attracting and not just a bunch of maps with Pokemon to catch and people to talk with...not that easy unless you want to be the Tolkien of Pokémon

2. My Game will have all Pokémon from all Regions!

Tell me about how your hero will be able to walk around tall grass with so many Pokémon piled up on it. A normal route should have around 3 different Pokémon species. Not a bunch of different species so that you can "Catch them all"

3. My game will have like 2432434432423 NEW and AWESOME and UNIQUE features!

You know, this is a very personal opinion, but when i'm playing a game with a great storyline, i end up not giving a crap about how pretty the message boxes are or how advanced and unique the menu looks. Not saying new features aren't cool, but people. Common sense.

What do i suggest or want on a fan game, then?

1. Focus on a coherent, fun, solid storyline so that your game isn't a bunch of pretty pictures and nothing else.

2. Don't try to cover everything. Develop a cool looking, neat region with all its events, people, and details. Even two regions would be great, in the style of GSC, so that some characters can even have storyline bonds there (Gym Leader Jonah from Ruru Region has a friend on Tuyo Region, and they help you on X or Y event when you get there, etc.)

3. Develop a Pokédex. Pick your favorite Pokémon from each region and make a Balanced Pokédex with them, that way you'll be able to know where to put them, or to develop special areas for them. Also it will be easier to handle.

That way you'll have a great game, will be able to finish it, and people will actually enjoy it.

Just my two cents :)

Years
  • Seen Apr 7, 2014
3. Develop a Pokédex. Pick your favorite Pokémon from each region and make a Balanced Pokédex with them, that way you'll be able to know where to put them, or to develop special areas for them. Also it will be easier to handle.
As someone who is (kinda sorta) designing a Pokemon fangame with a dex comprised entirely of fakemon, how would you define a "balanced Pokedex"? Do you just mean things like enough species of each type and stat distribution (so you don't have like 20 special sweepers and very few bulky 'mons)?

RaulCortez

Maybe active...sometimes?
Years
As someone who is (kinda sorta) designing a Pokemon fangame with a dex comprised entirely of fakemon, how would you define a "balanced Pokedex"? Do you just mean things like enough species of each type and stat distribution (so you don't have like 20 special sweepers and very few bulky 'mons)?

Exactly that, mi amigo!

If you're designing a Fakemon dex, try to avoid these:

A) Don't come up with a bunch of legendaries. You can come up with a "Major legendary" and a trio of "sub legendaries". Remember, they're supposed to be part of a legend, so try to put small hints about them on key parts of the region.

B) Try to add "normal" fakemon, both physically and on stats. By physically i mean, think of Rattatas, Pidgeys, Sentrets, Wurmples, and HootHoot's. Simple and small. It's kind of strange to find this mystic enigmatic glowing Fox of fire on route one, for example. Then, as you go on in the game, as the difficulty level grows, cooler looking Fakémon should appear.

:)

Years
  • Seen Apr 7, 2014
Exactly that, mi amigo!

If you're designing a Fakemon dex, try to avoid these:

A) Don't come up with a bunch of legendaries. You can come up with a "Major legendary" and a trio of "sub legendaries". Remember, they're supposed to be part of a legend, so try to put small hints about them on key parts of the region.

B) Try to add "normal" fakemon, both physically and on stats. By physically i mean, think of Rattatas, Pidgeys, Sentrets, Wurmples, and HootHoot's. Simple and small. It's kind of strange to find this mystic enigmatic glowing Fox of fire on route one, for example. Then, as you go on in the game, as the difficulty level grows, cooler looking Fakémon should appear.

:)
Well, looks like I won't have any problems there, then. Thanks for the input!

pkmn.master

Hobbyist Game Developer
Years
  • Age 28
  • USA
  • Seen Jun 7, 2022
NO! I'm talking about something I've never tried o.O

Tell it to my White 2's Lucario. ;)
And Isshu is ONE region.

Who says that level 100 HAS to be the limit for leveling up? Originality is what I want to see. While I think that all regions would be too amibitious to put in a single Pokemon fangame, nobody has done it, and it is a good idea. It is very possible to raise the level cap from 100 to 500.

Back