• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen The *Constant* Callers

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
Ever notice that mom calls us really, really often in the HG/SS games? Like really; every 15 minutes, it happens for me., her saying the same thing: "I found an item in the store, so I bought it with your money. Sorry!" Not that I can complain, because she gives cool stuff sometimes, but that BEGS the question: How many times does she go shopping per day?

tumblr_lhao2jjF6Y1qh7iu5o1_500.jpg

Well, here's the question of this thread: Do you have your mom calling you so many times within the hour or day while playing or perhaps another NPC that just obsesses over calling you? Do you usually ignore it after a time, or still have that urge to answer them even though you know what they're going to say?

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
Poor Joey getting Gold into trouble. :(

I noticed, haha. Frequent callers for me were my mum, Joey, a fisherman and someone else? I'd always answer my mum as she usually had something interestig to say or give but the others not so much. It still amuses me talking to Joey but even he gets annoying after the first ten calls. XD

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 2, 2016
LIz is the one that constantly calls me, but i keep her because i like her calls.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
I loved the feature at first, especially its modernized version. But after awhile it got annoying fast. Mom's calls were especially irritating when she used my money to buy useless items. Oh well.

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
Years
Liz and Joey are way up there on this list. Always setting up calls for me to come by and look at their amazing Pokemon or challenge them to a battle. . . what?

magicalgirlj

I liek Popplio
Years
I rarely get called for rematches, When ever they call it's for chatting. Joey has never called me for a rematch yet, he just brags about his Rattata. Grrrr I need rematches to raise my Pokemon for my last gym badge
update- Yesterday Joey finally called me for a rematch, I thought it was never going to happen
Whenever Joey calls me I ignore him, it most likely will be to brag about his rattata.

Last edited:
Years
I don't get why Joey brags about a Rattata after it evolved into a Raticate... The Moms calls are annoying. Yes I do mind that she's spending my money I don't need on berries I need even less. They shoulda made her buy more dolls and kept the decorating in the game. Other than that I found some of the calls to be a funny distraction. I did like that I could call the trainers for rematches instead of waiting for them to call me and rematching gym leaders.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
I stopped registering people's numbers in the PokéGear for this reason ~_~ It got so obnoxious and distracting, and there's really nothing special that you get from it lol.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Like almost everyone else, I was intrigued by the feature initially (although we did have something like this in gen two, fourth gen one is quite different), but began being bothered by the thing as time moved forward.

In one of my runs (likely first) of SoulSilver, if I remember right, I wound up registering a good amount of people's phone numbers, which had led me to get calls once or twice every thirty minutes or so; if you ask me, this was rather annoying (I did unregister a few of them later throughout).

As for answering—I did answer a few phone calls every now and again, but sadly, I rarely found myself going up to those people to do some battling. To gain experience, level-up, and so forth, I already had Pokémon League.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Feb 12, 2015
Well one thing I really regret. Giving that "ratata guy" my number so he can call me and tell me how avesome his ratata is... -_-''

Kip

🔥 Fluffy Fire Fox
Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Apr 17, 2024
"Hi son - you know how I said I'd keep your hard-earned cash safe and sound for you? You know, the money you and your beloved pets fought for and won through trails unparalleled? Well just to let you know I've actually been spending it all on some berries that you've never heard of and will probably never use, and I also used it to pay 23 people to deliver them simultaneously to every single Pokémon Centre in two regions at once! LOVE YA"

beep beep beep

Years
I don't often respond to the trainers that call me most of the time. Sometimes they have lines that are okay but others no. I still register everyone in the Pokégear, mostly because I can call them at certain times and arrange rematches.

Years
  • Seen Feb 8, 2016
I just ignore it. Of course, playing with the sound muted helps as otherwise it gets annoying really, reeeeeally fast.

Years
My friend had an action replay that he used to cheat in the max amount of money you can have and the players mom would. Not. Stop. Calling. He would take a few steps, she's calling about buying a new item. We don't even know why she did it cause he couldn't gain anymore money after a fight since he had a full amount.

It got so bad that he just restarted the game around the time you get surf for Cianwood because between constant Pokemon battles and her calling, he couldn't get more than 2 steps in any direction at a time without one of them happening.

So yeah, after that happened he never kept any names in the Pokegear and refused to cheat in anything in his game. Good lesson learned.

PikachuGuy

THOSE CHU'Z
Years
I have a solution for stopping mom from calling you every 5 seconds..... If you max out your money, go back home and "deposit" all of your money so that she has $999,999 stored for safekeeping. If you do that, she will NEVER call you again. Did this on my Heart Gold file after beating the Elite Four about 30 times with the amulet coin.

Just my two cents, pun definitely intended!

TheFattestSnorlax

New year, new possibilities
Years
I knew not to send to mom because, personally I thought it would be useless. But I did give it to Joey. That was a big ****ing mistake. Even if I did battle him several times, he still keeps on calling!

Gligar

Bruhfication Sayan
Years
I kinda like that feeling of having people calling me. I feel like I have a second cellphone! But mom and joey are pretty annoying on HS, ESPECIALLY JOEY.

When I think about it, it's kinda depressing that we're answering calls from NPCs.

Cura

[color=DarkCyan][i][b]I see nothing! I know nothin
Years
That comic got me to chuckle this morning which is nice, but ironically in this situation. I would play HG/SS for hours on hours and never get a phone call. With HG being my 'clean' run, I'd get a phone call in it from NPCs rarely. The only time in my recent gameplay of my 'glitchy' SS was Joey calling to tell me is Raticate is amazing and that he missed out on catching a Nidoran (girl) the other day. And then hung up.

Years
I used the Pokegear's rematch feature as much as possible, because not only did the trainers sometimes give decent EXP points but some also gave you items (like certain evolution stones) when defeated, so rematching them often really helps.

Also, I sometimes love the funny messages, and of course Youngster Joey bragging about his Rattata.

Back