• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen OR/AS Chit Chat + CoroCoro Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
Red/Blue/Green were remade when Pokemon went to GBA.
Gold/Silver/Crystal were remade when Pokemon went to DS.
RSE could very well have a remake since we now went to 3DS. And it will probably be Emerald remake just like Crystal, but they would probably follow the Ruby/Sapphire naming.
I don't think there would be a sequel. There is really is no point unless they make a new team. Which I don't see happening. I just find it stupid if they don't make remakes of RSE.

If we get a remake, I think it will be around March 2014.

BubbleBeams

Defeating Champions Since 1999
Years
  • Age 34
  • Iowa
  • Seen Oct 26, 2021
I very much want a remake of RSE, but as many before have already stated, there doesn't seem to be much point. RBY and GSC were remade to be compatible with the updated systems and new games.

And forgive me for not knowing, but I believe that the 3DS games will be able to communicate with the DS games, right? If so, then you can get your Gen 3 to the 3DS games as well. It'd be a lot of work, but it'd be possible.

There's really no incentive for GameFreak to make Hoenn remakes other than maybe a boost in $$$ from those calling for it.

Years
They need to be careful to not oversaturate the market. Even if it's a big franchise like Pokemon, it might not get the all the sucess we think it will (it could also lower the sales of the next game launched). If it were to be release after Pokemon X/Y, people would be all "another remake? meh...", I'm sure of it.

greenking13

LORD OF ZHERRY
Years
  • Seen May 20, 2014
... I know people will hate me for doing this...

PLEASE REMAKE EMERALD!!! PLEASE REMAKE EMERALD!!! PLEASE REMAKE EMERALD!!! PLEASE REMAKE EMERALD!!! PLEASE REMAKE EMERALD!!! PLEASE REMAKE EMERALD!!! PLEASE REMAKE EMERALD!!! PLEASE REMAKE EMERALD!!! PLEASE REMAKE EMERALD!!! PLEASE REMAKE EMERALD!!! PLEASE REMAKE EMERALD!!! PLEASE REMAKE EMERALD!!! PLEASE REMAKE EMERALD!!! PLEASE REMAKE EMERALD!!! PLEASE REMAKE EMERALD!!! PLEASE REMAKE EMERALD!!! PLEASE REMAKE EMERALD!!! PLEASE REMAKE EMERALD!!! PLEASE REMAKE EMERALD!!! PLEASE REMAKE EMERALD!!!

Sorry, but I really love emerald and pray that they remake that region.

Shrew

is a Shrew
Years
Hoenn won't and shouldn't be remade in the near future because it wasn't an 8-bit game; it isn't that special old class of games which 'deserve', as it were, remakes due to relatively significant technological advancement since their time. Even the first generation remakes are third generation themselves, so if one will remake Hoenn, why not Kanto a second time? Well, that's rhetorical. The bottom line is that the current franchise (broad changes to narrative style since the fifth generation) is profitable; a Hoenn remake 'only' has all that much appeal to existing fans and is therefore more financially risky and becomes more risky the older the original games become as less of the older fans still care.
The technological advancement jumping from the 8-bit RBY to the graphics of the GBA is just as significant as the jump from the old GBA graphics to the new 3DS graphics.

I actually believe that Kanto will be remade a second time before any hypothetical Sinnoh remakes. There are so many new younger fans to the series, in which remakes are a good opportunity to give them an opportunity to play through what others have. I, for one, have enjoyed playing many remakes (not just pokemon remakes!) which otherwise I would not have had the opportunity to play, because their systems were outdated. So there is no risk, because when a new fan picks up the game, they'll be just as eager to play it as a nostalgian would.

Think of games like Ocarina of Time and Starfox 64 which were made for the 3DS. When younger audiences find these in a game store, they don't think, "These games are remakes, I won't buy them." They'll think, "Oh hey, a new pokemon game, back when things like Blaziken were starters. I want to try this." So it's not just for nostalgians. (I edited this post to include this paragraph.)

Despite being an older player, I have the... uncommon experience of only starting playing pokemon at Pokemon Diamond version. I never played GSC, yet was really happy to play Johto for the first time when HGSS came out. Likewise, I've never owned RSE, nor do I own a system that could play it, so I stand as an example of a non-preexisting player who would love to play Hoenn, with nothing to do with nostalgia.

... I know people will hate me for doing this...

PLEASE REMAKE EMERALD!!! PLEASE REMAKE EMERALD!!! PLEASE REMAKE EMERALD!!! PLEASE REMAKE EMERALD!!! PLEASE REMAKE EMERALD!!! ... PLEASE REMAKE EMERALD!!! PLEASE REMAKE EMERALD!!! PLEASE REMAKE EMERALD!!!

Sorry, but I really love emerald and pray that they remake that region.
Funny thing is, if there are Hoenn remakes, we will most likely have a Ruby remake and a Sapphire remake, but no 3rd version remake. (Al beit that the plot of things like HGSS followed Crystal as opposed to either Gold or Silver. :P )

Last edited:
Years
It's possible that the pattern that Game freak is following is based on 2 hardware generations (Gameboy, DS, 3DS) instead of 2 Pokemon generations, though at this point it's only a speculation. After all, we know absolutely **** all about the possible RSE remakes. I'm still holding out for it though as I enjoyed Gen III.

RandomDSdevel

The EXP-Grinding Trainer
Years
Can we merge this discussion back into its rightful place in the RSE Remake Speculation Thread, please?

Actually the fans clamoring for the remakes aren't that high in number. The most vocal are the minorities so really it would be about 20-30% of the fans want the remakes. Maybe 60% don't care, the rest get pulled into different fields. I mean if you make a post in any given area, a lot of the people that respond "positively" to it would be names that pretty much appear here, Serebii, and Bulba, maybe Smogon and other large name fan sites, but a lot of them are on all the sites or multiple sites.

Locally where I am, majority of the fans (this is over 100 people as I met a ton of people in college that play Pokemon) about 80 do not want remakes...any kind of remake. 20% would not mind, but don't see any major need for such things. I'm with the 20%. I'd like them sure, I'd buy them despite them being maybe my second least favorite behind Johto.

But 20% is one fifth of the fan base! Besides, I'm sure that we'll get the RSE remakes pretty soon (GameFreak will most likely start to develop them as work on X and Y starts to wind down, so maybe they're at it already?)

I personally don't want any more remakes because then every gen we will hear stuff about a Hoenn remake, then a Sinnoh remake, and so on. IMO Sinnoh looks as "bad" as Hoenn graphically speaking, well not so bad, but considering the next game is in full 3D it makes all old games look quite bad.

Maybe GameFreak will update the games every once in a while once they or their remakes all end up being distributed digitally via the eShop? X and Y will be available there (placeholders are already up,) so that takes care of the main-series Generation VI games. If they remake both the Hoenn and/or the Kanto games this generation (I would prefer getting the former, but I wouldn't mind if I also received the latter if there were some way to transfer Pokémon and/or save data from their original copies to their newer versions,) then that would take care of getting Generations I and/or III into this update loop. Generations II and/or IV could be remade next generation (that would be number VII since Generation VI has already been announced,) and that would get everything into the Nintendo eShop. After that, it would be a lot less work for GameFreak to keep all of the games up to date as compared to one another, especially since Nintendo has allowed game developers to update even cartridge-based games via a patch system.

I would love Hoenn remakes. Ruby was my second pokémon game and even though Hoenn isn't my favorite region and doesn't have my favorite pokédex or anything really, the games are still my favorites. They still work and aren't outdated in the same way as a half-colored GBC game is, but a Hoenn game in X & Y style, now just think about how much more epic Groudon's awakening would be! Not to mention diving and going through the desert and rainforest! Plus, I'd love to hear the music again in new fonts.

So even though I think the Hoenn games are still fully playable and enjoyable to this day, I would like remakes. It would make trading Hoenn pokémon easier, too, right?

Hey, we have something in common: Sapphire was my first game, too! (Actually, that's not entirely true: my older brother purchased both Ruby and Sapphire and loaned me the latter game until I obtained FireRed for my birthday – I should have bought Emerald, but it would't have been the same, would it have been? – ; by the time he offered Sapphire up for purchase within my family, my sister got to buying it first…)

Sure, I love R/S/E as much as the next guy, but I wouldn't really want a remake. Rather, I'd want a sequel. Playing a carboncopy of something I've already played, but with enhanced graphics and slightly different mechanics isn't something I'd want them to aim for. I would like Hoenn back, yes, but with a slightly different approach to it.

Maybe both will come eventually…

The technological advancement jumping from the 8-bit RBY to the graphics of the GBA is just as significant as the jump from the old GBA graphics to the new 3DS graphics.

I actually believe that Kanto will be remade a second time before any hypothetical Sinnoh remakes. There are so many new younger fans to the series, in which remakes are a good opportunity to give them an opportunity to play through what others have. I, for one, have enjoyed playing many remakes (not just pokemon remakes!) which otherwise I would not have had the opportunity to play, because their systems were outdated. So there is no risk, because when a new fan picks up the game, they'll be just as eager to play it as a nostalgian would.

Despite being an older player, I have the... uncommon experience of only starting playing pokemon at Pokemon Diamond version. I never played GSC, yet was really happy to play Johto for the first time when HGSS came out. Likewise, I've never owned RSE, nor do I own a system that could play it, so I stand as an example of a non-preexisting player who would love to play Hoenn, with nothing to do with nostalgia.

Funny thing is, if there are Hoenn remakes, we will most likely have a Ruby remake and a Sapphire remake, but no 3rd version remake. (Al beit that the plot of things like HGSS followed Crystal as opposed to either Gold or Silver. :P )

Speaking of 'funny things,' playing Diamond partially counts for me as well since I received FireRed a lot longer after it was released, so Diamond popped into my sights just as I was finishing up my first play-through of FireRed and, having slightly better graphics and a longer and more complex story, stuck in my memory more than FireRed did. I still remember FireRed fondly and am playing through it a second time right now, but doing so is awkward even with an original Nintendo DS because of how I have to use either my Game Boy Player or my original Game Boy Advance in a bright room (it lacks the front-lighting of the GBA SP and the backlighting used afterward) just to trade with my siblings. As mentioned before, I did play Sapphire for a time before acquiring FireRed, but it's the game that I remember the least and, as such, want to play again with an updated story that, like HeartGold and SoulSilver (the second of which I was also glad to buy and play even though my experience with their predecessors is limited to having started a new game in a copy of Crystal that my brother bought without saving so as to not overwrite his file) did when they merged the story of Crystal into the story originally told in Gold and Silver, merges Emerald's story back into those of Ruby and Sapphire as these games are remade into new versions of themselves that update their own graphics and game mechanics. To summarize, I basically agree with what is said in the quote whose author I responded to in this post, so thank you, Shrew, for giving me a springboard for my own thoughts.

Last edited:

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
No offense but most of the people wanting RSE remakes do so because of nostalgia-goggles. Heck I know I wanted GF to make HGSS because of nostalgia goggles. There was more of a reason to remake Johto (last region that didn't use the new stats system) than Hoenn. Of course Hoenn would look fantastic in 3D, but which region wouldn't? Maybe Kanto, because it's so simple.

We'll see in due time whether they'll remake Hoenn. If there are no references to Hoenn in a similar time frame in the XY games, you can forget about remakes. I believe a Hoenn remake, if it comes, wouldn't come until after the third game in 6th gen. FRLG was released after RS because there was a need to incorporate the old Pokémon into the new system, so Emerald could wait.

Ammako

I hate you. You know who you are.
Years
  • Seen Feb 1, 2018
It really doesn't matter how desperately some people hate Hoenn and it doesn't matter what sort of contorted arguments they might dream up - Hoenn remakes would be profitable, so it's safe to assume that there will be Hoenn remakes.

Yes, but they would be less profitable than making a new region with new Pokémon.
Granted, a remake most likely costs less to produce considering they already have all the content figured out.

Years
Let's just say that if they make remakes, I will definitely be buying them on day one. I'm not sure if there will be any; there are lots of good arguments in both directions, really. A lot of people would like remakes, and I'm sure it would sell well with newer fans. That being said, they certainly aren't needed. Can I see it happening? Sure! Will It happen? Dunno!

Years
I would love for a Hoenn remake. It's one of my favorite regions, and I replayed Sapphire so many times. n_n; It needs to happen. I remember being so excited for when Ruby came out :3~ And, I mean, Sootopolis..Fortree.. I just want to go to there.

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I'd like to see Hoenn remakes happen. GameFreak had the chance to make them last year, considering that the 10th anniversary of R/S was coming up, but we got Black 2/White 2 instead (not that I'm complaining or anything).

pokehearts

I like trains.
Years
I'd like to see Hoenn remakes happen. GameFreak had the chance to make them last year, considering that the 10th anniversary of R/S was coming up, but we got Black 2/White 2 instead (not that I'm complaining or anything).

Well, it's been passed up at this point. I wish they'd do this. I'd buy this before it comes out and preorder it the moment it's announced.

blue

gucci
Years
It's clear that Game Freak follow no time release pattern, Red & Blue were released in 1996 then 8 years on we got Fire Red & Leaf Green in 2004. Gold and Silver were released in 1999, 10 years later we got Heart Gold & Soul Silver and that is when people started to assume that remakes were every 10 years since it is how HGSS were played out and it seems a pretty reasonable milestone to be granted remakes, but there is no real solid pattern or evidence of Ruby & Sapphire remakes just yet.

Since moving to the 3DS however I do believe that the likeliness of Ruby & Sapphire remakes have increased, with the 3DS not being equip with a GBA slot it makes it more tedious to transfer Pokémon from those cartridges to current games and although it is do-able you do need to own a handheld that supports GBA cartridges and 3DS cartridges. Also, obviously not one of the main standout points but the graphics in comparison to the current date is grainy and outdated which I suppose could swing in favor of a remake but I don't think it would solely rely on that factor. I haven't really put much though into remakes over the past few months since I've generally been focused and keeping up to date with X and Y, heck they haven't even been released yet. We may get some small references to Hoenn which would instantly be classed as hints regardless of how obscure they are, however if there is stand out refrences in the game such as cameo's of characters from Hoenn i.e Gym Leaders then I'd be more confident about the possibility of remakes.

If I was going to put money on the next games to follow after X and Y it would probably be Pokémon Ruby and Sapphire Remakes.

Years
No offense but most of the people wanting RSE remakes do so because of nostalgia-goggles. Heck I know I wanted GF to make HGSS because of nostalgia goggles. There was more of a reason to remake Johto (last region that didn't use the new stats system) than Hoenn. Of course Hoenn would look fantastic in 3D, but which region wouldn't? Maybe Kanto, because it's so simple.
Well that's the whole beauty of it, the nostalgia. Nostalgia is a quite powerful emotion trigger, so I think it makes sense to remake it in the near future, because people who played those games in the past can see how these games will look now, and people who have played RSE in the past could relive their past. The audience that was exposed to RSE when they were 8-10 year olds are now fully fledged adults (I'm in this demographic, by the way), so nostalgia can now apply to many who were children back then.

Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2014
It would be great to have remakes. But i dont think any remake will come out any time soon

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
Years
I think a dual Virtual Console release with Link cable emulated using Wi-Fi and a dual-slot mode emulated to be able to connect with gen 4 is much more likely than actual remakes, now that there's Virtual Console games on the 3DS. If I remember correctly, there are actual VC GBA games on the 3DS, but only given out as part of the Ambassador Program, so all they have to do is tweak the emulator a little and voilà, free money.

Personally, as I've already stated in another thread, I'd prefer a B2/W2-esque sequel to Gen 3 than a remake.

I don't recall acquiring the legendary dog trio elsewhere, at least
FR/LG allowed you to catch one of them depending on your starter, plus all of them were available in Pokémon Colosseum... yeah, Gen 3 did require a lot of games to complete the Pokédex...

Last edited:

Altair1

Willpower
Years
I don't think they'll be making any more remakes of any Pokemon game, all Pokemon are easily obtainable if you got the games. Not to mention trading through Wi-Fi, you can get all Pokemon with only 1 game cartridge.
Besides remakes, I'd rather a sequel. You'd be able to play Hoenn again with a fresh twist so to speak...
If sequels won't be released then maybe a game in the future which grants access to Hoenn, there has to be a game coming up featuring Hoenn again as it's the only region left unexplored past 3rd Gen. That being said however Gamefreak have stated that they follow no trends and that patterns related to their video games are just coincidences. I believe that ever since Black 2 and White 2 where announced, nearly everyone thought there was going to be a 'grey' version!

Andrew

Ah Yeah 아예
Years
I don't think they'll be making any more remakes of any Pokemon game, all Pokemon are easily obtainable if you got the games. Not to mention trading through Wi-Fi, you can get all Pokemon with only 1 game cartridge. [...]

I wouldn't say they're "easily obtainable". Well, I guess obtainable yes, transferable? Not even close. Pokémon that are only available in the 3rd Generation games would be an absolute pain to get on X and Y. You would have to transfer them to a 4th Gen game, possibly a 5th gen game (if X and Y isn't backwards compatible with 4th gen games), and then move them up to X and Y.

Also, that process requires a DS or DS Lite, which not everyone has anymore. I don't know about everyone else, but I haven't had a DS with a GBA slot since the DSi was released. Not to mention that process depends on X and Y's backwards compatibility. If X and Y aren't compatible at all with the previous games it would be impossible to obtain pokémon from previous generations that aren't found in the region.

The way I see it, if the games aren't backwards compatible, a remake is a huge possibility. Leaving a large amount of the previous pokémon unavailable just seems ridiculous and the games would no doubt be profitable. There are a lot of people that are nostalgic for those games (myself included), and it would open up the previous generations to the the younger players, who would most likely buy them just because they are fans of the series. A good portion of the hard work is done for the remakes already (story & original pokémon designs), so it's not like the games would cost as much as a new game would to make. Granted, giving the games a full graphic and audio overhaul is no small task, but the games would still be profitable in the end.

However, if X and Y are backwards compatible, the chance of a remake isn't all that great. Because while it wouldn't be easy, it would technically be possible to get all the pokémon on one game, just inconvenient. Why would they spend the money and time to remake the games if there's really no reason except for the fact that it's inconvenient for older players to transfer their pokémon? They could just put that effort into a brand new game. I'd love to see Hoenn Remakes, but if GameFreak doesn't see a reason for them, they're not going to be made.

Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2020
Why would they spend the money and time to remake the games if there's really no reason except for the fact that it's inconvenient for older players to transfer their pokémon?
Because they'd be profitable.

Sheesh. I really don't understand why people go through all these mental gymnastics over compatibility and transferring pokemon and years between this and odd and even that and all the rest of this jazz (not saying you're doing all of that - just using this as a jumping-off point to address the broader topic). GF is a business. Their purpose is to profit. If they can do Hoenn remakes/sequels and profit, then that's all the reason they ever need or ever could need to do them.

I guarantee you that nobody at GF is getting all wound up over whether this pokemon is transferrable to that game or this generation is an odd number or an even number or how many years it's been since the last Hoenn games or any of the rest of the stuff that gets trotted out in these threads. If the subject is being discussed, it's all about budgeting, staffing, game concept, marketing and profit projections, and it's on those considerations that the decision will be made.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back