• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Romance in Hacks

Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2017
I... kinda like it. I don't like full-fledged romance, but little hints that makes you think "damn, she's realy like me and she's cute" are nice. I like what Game Freak made with May/Brendan relationship in ORAS. They never says nothing about love but those little innocent things were just... cute.

Silent Protagonist

Looking for Feebas on Route 31
Years
I would totally love to play a hack with a romance as a kinda side story - made maybe like Cloud's relationship with Tifa and Aerith in Final Fantasy VII (think about the date quest, wouldn't it be awesome?) or like Sapphire's and Ruby's relationship in the manga - the bet and stuff.

Years
I'm thinking whether I'm gonna apply this to my hack, but romance sounds great in hacks (if incorporated correctly).

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023
Tbh, I wouldn't like it. In my opinion, it doesn't work well with Pokémon, but I could be wrong. If I'm playing a hack, I wanna like, save the world or some shit, not be "in love" with a character.. but go for it anyways lol

Dionen

deprived of sleep
Years
If the story matches, then do it.
If it is a 10 years old type, do not even think of it

Phasesaber

Software Engineer turned Pokemon Hacker
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen today
This is a Pokemon game. There hasn't been that in any games and it won't be in any games because it's out of place in the Pokemon universe. It's a kids game, kids don't want some romantic moonlight picnic right before a Gym battle.

xGal

Mhm
Years
I don`t really mind romance in hacks, and who said that in every Pokémon hack the protagonist should be 10 years old?

Years
I think it can work if the manga of pokemon(specials) can have it, I have only read up to ruby and sapphire but the main leads are what 10 to 11 and they got together I mean you can throw in hints every now and than and than at the end of hack just put them together.

véronique

Shiroshipping, FTW!
Years
Do you like the idea? Is it necessary? I just want to know people's opinions on this matter.

As long as it's well written and isn't locked into heteronormativity, why not? Also, I agree with a lot of people here, you'd have to make the PC and NPCs older, but again - that's not too hard.

Shirona

[span="font-size: 18px; font-family: Abril Fatface
Years
  • Seen May 10, 2019
This is a Pokemon game. There hasn't been that in any games and it won't be in any games because it's out of place in the Pokemon universe. It's a kids game, kids don't want some romantic moonlight picnic right before a Gym battle.
Tell that to Shauna

That is one severe awkward case of UST

wolfboyft

Pokémon Generation 2 Hacker
Years
Eh, I'm all for it.

Hell, even sex if it's done well and tastefully. Wait, was that innapropriate...? *Reads rules again.* No... nothing against them that I can see ♥

...>:)...

Heh heh heh...

scotchkorean27

Programmer/Pastry Enthusiast
Years
Ehh, I think it really depends on how narrative heavy your hack is going to be. The main pokemon games involve largely silent protagonists, and the narrative really isnt about them. If that's what youre going for, romance as a central focus just isn't going to mesh well, just because how protagonists and characters are developed in that context. It could be a nice side story or something that just kind of happens, but as a focal point, it feels a bit out of scale and risks breaking your tempo.

Of course, if your narrative is more character oriented as in the Mystery Dungeon games, I could see it happening.

Dr. Seuss

Will finish GS Chronicles, I swear!
Years
¿A ten year old guy that can't talk can be in love? lol

The romance only works if you hack have a good plot, storyline, dialogues and characters with own personalities, wtihout this points, the romance is a bad idea.

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
Years
I thought the implied romance between my player character and one of the forgettable rivals in XY (not Serena, the other one) was horrible and basically took control of my character and his desires away from me and into the story. And what if I (and presumably I'm projecting myself onto the player character) wasn't attracted to the gender XY was pushing onto me? That whole scene and exchange was jarring and completely unnecessary.

If you have a traditional blank slate protagonist, don't do anything that takes control of the protagonist's presumed emotions, desires, etc. away from your player. You want a flirty NPC? That's fine, they can flirt. But it should be up to the player to interpret what their character is doing or how they are reacting to those advances. The XY scene was so bad because I felt like my player character was returning the advances of whats-her-face without my wanting to. For the first time in a Pokemon game ever, it felt like the story gave the protagonist agency (the ability to think and act on his own, like the other characters), instead of being a puppet or vessel to project myself onto and act through. There's a reason that when control is taken from you and the protagonist's movements are done by the game, they're almost always following/being directed by another character or doing something reflexive that any normal person would do in that situation. It's to keep the protagonist blank so the player can project onto them.

Of course, if the romance involves characters that are not the player, go for it. Extra points if they're not all heteronormative. Heck, even Game Freak is putting in subtle nods to non-hetero or non-gender normative people existing in their universe, like the implied transgender Beauty in the Battle Maison.

Al3x

Pokémon Fan
Years
Pokemon DarkViolet had some romance in it if I remember correctly (Its been a while). You dance with your rival (if you were male the rival was female, if you were female the rival was male) on the S.S. Anne. It worked out fine but it wasn't like the story was driven on romance.

I think romance can work in a Pokemon game. Like maybe adding a tsundere character and creating a sidestory of events with the character without affecting the main storyline or maybe you can? Lot of possibilities are out there.

Years
Romance would actually be a very nice change to have in a Pokemon game. For example, maybe your main character's rival starts out as your friend but over the course of the game they become more than that. I currently have an idea for a hack like that, although it won't just be about romance of course (gonna make my own thread about it soon).

Years
  • Age 26
  • NH
  • Seen Nov 10, 2021
I wouldn't mind seeing it in a Pokémon game if it actually worked. It should be simple to present the protagonists as 16-18 year olds, but how would romance help you in a Pokémon game, would you get items as gifts or access to special legendaries?

We've seen it in a Pokemon game before, and you got Pokemon from other regions with their hidden abilities out of it. Don't you remember the Yancy/Curtis sidequest in BW2?

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Sep 25, 2015
It could work. Another good idea to add to a pokemon game with a bit of romance could turn into another good idea. A double battle themed game.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Mar 24, 2016
The only really good way to pull something like this off is to have multiple potential romantic interests that you can woo at your discretion, Harvest Moon style. Locking it into one character would be very limiting for a game where the idea is "this is your adventure." Done correctly it could be cute, again like Harvest Moon.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Oct 18, 2015
You know, it's quite amusing how we're all amusing that the romance would have to include the protagonist and another human.. Why can't it be between two pokemon? Maybe the protagonist is a breeder who believes breeding should only be done according to romantic tendencies?! Who knows!

Or even romance between the human protagonist and a pokemon? (Maybe a Primeape..) Anythings possible in the world of pokemon, am I right?

Back