• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Are mugshots instead of icons possible?

BadSamaritan

Gone Fishin'
Years
  • Seen Jun 8, 2023
------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
Where would you use this? At first I thought you meant the party screen (accessible from the pause menu and during battle and so forth), but then you mentioned the "box menu" (which I presume you meant as the party screen) to be something different.

Your idea is an odd shape, by which I mean it wouldn't fit into the standard screen resolution of 512x384.

To strictly answer your question, it's feasible. All it would be is displaying a certain picture (sprite) depending on the species of the Pokémon, which is what all Pokémon icons and battle sprites already do, which is easy. Well, easy enough, anyway. The real question is what else you want to do, which matters in both a technical and aesthetic sense.

Pharetra

zzzz
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 23, 2021
Yes, I mean the party screen, sorry for the confusion. But then I said box menu, to imply that I'd still want to use the normal sized icons for the storage box navigation and the such.

Also, as I mentioned right before the picture, ignore all the other changes like the different directions, health bar sizes and stuff. All it was was a concept I was showing another member of the team, before I even got into essentials and all that. Strictly getting mugshots to work with minor changes to the look of everything, is my primary goal(and unfortunately we have no coder)

So to put it better, my question is how would I go about separating these entities, so that the party menu displays mugshots, but the box displays icons?

Thanks again for any help!
I have little real experience with RGSS and how Essentials is coded, but I'd guess you'd have to change these lines:

Code:
 bitmapFileName=pbResolveBitmap(sprintf("Graphics/Icons/icon%03degg",mail.poke2[0]))
to something like:

Code:
 bitmapFileName=pbResolveBitmap(sprintf("Graphics/[COLOR=Red]Mugshots/mugshot%03degg[/COLOR]",mail.poke2[0]))
In which Graphics/Mugshots is the folder containing the mugshots which are named mugshotnumber.png

Haven't tried this out though, so I might be wrong. Seemed very logical to me though.

Rayd12smitty

Shadow Maker
Years
  • Seen Feb 21, 2016
From what I know do exactly like P-Sign said, except depending on the size of your mugshot graphics a couple other things may have to change to change the x/y position of the image so it is where you want it

Maruno

Years
Ah, you were talking about the storage screen, and wanting to keep icons in there.

P-Sign was looking at the mail screen, not the party screen.

The line you'd need to change in PokemonParty is this one:
Code:
@pkmnsprite=PokemonIconSprite.new(pokemon,viewport)
What you'd need to do is copy the class PokemonIconSprite (in script section PokemonSprite) and edit the copy to display the mugshot rather than an icon, then change the above-mentioned line of code to use that mugshot class instead. Oh, and make sure the mugshot doesn't jump around every few frames or when selected (basically, pretty much clear its def update). This would be the simplest option, I think.

After that it's just a matter of repositioning the mugshot, which is a simple case of editing these values:
Code:
    @spriteXOffset=28
    @spriteYOffset=0

Maruno

Years
Interesting design.

1. self.bitmap.font.size=16, placed directly after the line pbSetSystemFont(self.bitmap). That'll change all text in the Pokémon panels (i.e. level and name). You'll probably need to fiddle with the number a bit.

2. The width of the health bar (I'm just mentioning this for completeness) is the red number in the following line:
Code:
[email protected]==0 ? 0 : (self.hp*[COLOR=Red]96[/COLOR]/@pokemon.totalhp)
The height of the health bar is determined by the red numbers in the following lines:
Code:
          self.bitmap.fill_rect(@gaugeX,@gaugeY,hpgauge,[COLOR=Red]2[/COLOR],hpcolors[hpzone*2])
          self.bitmap.fill_rect(@gaugeX,@gaugeY+[COLOR=Red]2[/COLOR],hpgauge,[COLOR=Red]4[/COLOR],hpcolors[hpzone*2+1])
          self.bitmap.fill_rect(@gaugeX,@gaugeY+[COLOR=Red]6[/COLOR],hpgauge,[COLOR=Red]2[/COLOR],hpcolors[hpzone*2])
Knowing that the health bar is three separate coloured lines, this should make some sense.

Back