• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen 5th Gen Pokemon of the Week #2: Petilil!

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
250px-548Petilil.png

Petilil is a small grass type pokemon who evolves into a Lilligant, using a Sun Stone! It sort of resembles a small bulb-like plant, like onions! It doesn't appear to have a nose or a mouth, but it still gets it's energy from the nutrients ans moisture from the area it lives in! Some say it's counterpart is Cottenee, since you can only find Petilil in Pokemon White, while Cottenee is found in Poekmon Black.

Moves:

--- Absorb
4 Growth
8 Leech Seed
10 Sleep Powder
13 Mega Drain
17 Synthesis
19 Magical Leaf
22 Stun Spore
26 Giga Drain
28 Aromatherapy
31 Helping Hand
35 Energy Ball
37 Entrainment
40 Sunny Day
44 After You
46 Leaf Storm

So! What do you think of Petilil? Do you like it's moveset? Do you enjoy using it during your Pokemon 5th Gen Playthroughs? How you like it's evolution line? Do you prefer this pokemon, or Cottenee? Feel free to share any more thoughts!

GiovanniViridian

A World Of Pain!
Years
  • Seen Sep 29, 2023
Oh yes, another one of my favorite Unova Pokemon! I got it in an in-game trade during my Black 2 run and I really enjoyed using it especially with the Own Tempo + Petal Dance combo when I evolved it to Lilligant, and I loved that cute flower princess.

I preferred it to Cottonee but kinda disappointed that the Cottonee line now has a Fairy typing with a better moveset in the next gen, but perhaps it's for the best due to the 4 times Poison weakness.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
wheres syd

I was actually thinking of using a Petilil whenever I get around to replaying my White. Like GiovanniViridian said, Own Tempo+Petal Dance is nice, and it even gets Quiver Dance, which is a great move. Would be nice if there was a little more type variety in its moveset, but oh well.

Years
I loved how unique-looking the Grass-types of this generation were, and Petilil's line was one I definitely loved. I think I have a Lilligant on my current White 2 play (which I started to replace my corrupted Black 2) although it's been a few months since I touched it, maybe I will consider picking it up again soon.

As Nah said, its movepool is lacking, being just Grass and Normal moves, although it was likely intentional thanks to how amazingly overpowered Quiver Dance makes the flowery queen, a boost or two can make its Grass attacks hit really hard, only really being stopped cold by 4x Grass resists or the Sap Sipper ability. Being the only Pokemon with Own Tempo that learns a move that causes self-inflicted confusion really helps add to its power as well, in that it avoids the confusion side-effect.

So much to love about the line, being not just beautiful but potent as well.

Xherdan

Bad at Good Games
Years
Evolve it at level 27 and you get Quiver Dance. I really liked using this Pokemon. The fact that Quiver Dance x2 + Magical Leaf killed everything in its way was really cool. I alo had Sleep Powder and Stun Spore on that moveset. I recommend you use it. Also, get one with Own Tempo, because when it gets Petal Dance, you don't get confused.

Years
You know, between first Oshawott and now this, I think these 5th Gen PotWs are meant to please the big fans. xP

Anyway, i've used Lilligant quite a few times before, one being in my very first White 2 adventure where it was fun to have with Quiver Dance. That move can really save you at inopportune times. Own Tempo and Petal Dance make for a pretty awesome combination against things that don't resist it.

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
I always use a Petilil on my playthroughs, and yeah, I really love the Own Tempo + Petal Dance combo! Combine it with Quiver Dance and she beats a lot of pokemon. <33

Was trying to catch one ever a pain for you guys? Because wild ones tend to have... powder moves?

Itcheeee

All Hail Shadow
Years
What do you think of Petilil? Do you like it's moveset? Do you enjoy using it during your Pokemon 5th Gen Playthroughs? How you like it's evolution line? Do you prefer this pokemon, or Cottenee?
Petilil was basicly this regions Budew, with a slighty more leafy than bud-like design. I never looked into it's moves or used it, or cared much for it's evolutions outside adding them to the dex. I much perfer Cottenee, who I wouldn't mind using on my team at all :D I love the little cotton sheep <3

Years
I much perfer Cottenee, who I wouldn't mind using on my team at all :D I love the little cotton sheep <3

I can understand this, since both Grass-types are great. At least they offer an in-game trade allowing you to get the other.

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
Years
The Petilil line are my favourite Grass Type Pokemon and Lilligant is in the conversation for my favourite Pokemon ever. Petilil was the first Pokemon I attempted to Dexnav Shiny. I was successful and now have a Shiny Lilligant. :)

Whilst I was unable to use a Petilil in my Black Playthrough. Lilligant was my MVP in my Unova Grass Monotype. Incidentally my Lilligant had Chlorophyll which meant she outsped everything in game under the sun and one hit Koed Iris' Haxorus.

Quiver Dance gives great boosts to Lilligant making Petal Dance very powerful. An Own Tempo Lilligant removes the somewhat frustrating confusion effects of the Petal Dance move.

Whilst the Petilil line could use with some type coverage moves rather than relying on Hidden Power but the Grass Princess is great fun to use. :)

I like the Cottonee line and it's fun Prankster ability and Whimsicott learns a surprising if inaccurate flying move in Hurricane. The Cottonee line are very cute and fun to use but I prefer the Petilil line.

One more note Petilil gets Healing Wish as an Egg Move. A Lilligant with Petal Dance, Healing Wish and Leaf Storm (Learnt as a Petilil) is excellent in Hoenn Contests. :)

Years
Whilst the Petilil line could use with some type coverage moves rather than relying on Hidden Power but the Grass Princess is great fun to use. :)

I like the Cottonee line and it's fun Prankster ability and Whimsicott learns a surprising if inaccurate flying move in Hurricane. The Cottonee line are very cute and fun to use but I prefer the Petilil line.

One more note Petilil gets Healing Wish as an Egg Move. A Lilligant with Petal Dance, Healing Wish and Leaf Storm (Learnt as a Petilil) is excellent in Hoenn Contests. :)

Definitely true. Both Lilligant and Whimsicott are good Pokemon and while they have the usual shallow movepool most Grass-types have, Whimsicott does get more coverage moves whereas Lilligant has to rely on Hidden Power. But Whimsi's main use tends to be status moves so this allows Lilli to shine better on the offense aspect, because all it needs to dominate is Quiver Dance, a strong Grass move (always go Petal Dance if you have the Own Tempo variant) and Sleep Powder.

Once you shut down the opponent with sleep, set up Quiver Dances and then Petal Dance your way through entire teams that weren't prepared for our flower princess. That's why you shall not let Lilligant's innocent looks fool you, because it does have some secret weapons up its leaves!

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
RUNS IN EXTREMELY LATE

Yes hello hi, I am a Petilil enthusiast here to talk about the amazing Pokemon that is Petilil, Churine, Chlorobule, Lilminip, the seed bby herself.

Petilil is one of my absolute favorite Pokemon, second only to Umbreon. During the pre-gen V hype, I was trying to avoid spoilers as best as I could (which is hella difficult when you mod a Pokemon forum and HAVE to be here), but I ended up seeing Lilligant. I thought it was pretty and I asked my friend to show me what it evolved from because I wanted to have one on my team, and there it was: PETILIL.

I have had great experiences using both Petilil and Lilligant, to the point where if I am replaying BW/BW2, if I can fit it in my team, it's gonna be in there. I am going to have it, whether anyone likes it or not. I have even gone as far as to just...not evolve Petilil and give her an Eviolite and use her. Surprisingly not as bad as one might think, but I wouldn't recommend it to everyone. Only those of us that are the most prominent of Petilil fans.

I do hate that their movepools are a bit lacking in variety, however what you get is damn good No frills, just bread and butter. I don't know a lot of people that have talked about using Petilil/Lilligant and said they didn't enjoy it or find it to be a great Pokemon. I do wish that they had gotten the Fairy typing added when Gen VI rolled around, but oh well. I can admit that sticking to the same or a similar moveset with each playthrough gets tiring, even with how well it works. I'd like a little more to play with, but I guess they're treating them as a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" kind of deal.

So anyway! That was a big rant on the greatest Pokemon. :) The end!

Reactions: Nah
Back