• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Groudon, Kyogre, and Rayquaza

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
In Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald, our mascots were Groudon, Kyogre, and Rayquaza, respectively. In Ruby and Sapphire, Team Magma and Aqua would chase after them for their own, personal needs, and your job was to stop by using either Red or Blue Orb to defeat or capture Groudon and Kyogre. In Emerald, it's sort of a different story; Groudon and Kyogre get themselves into a feud in Sootopolis, and your task's to awaken Rayquaza and have it stop them from causing destruction. If you'd like to capture the Pokémon, you're able to visit its place again, Sky Pillar, later throughout the game.

Anyhow, what are your thoughts on participation of these Pokémon in RSE, did you like, or dislike like? If it's latter, why so? Of these three, which is your most favorite? Approximately, how long did it take you to successfully capture them?

pkmin3033

I found the Kyogre/Groudon story in R/S quite dull, but in Emerald, where it threw in both of them and added Rayquaza for good measure, I found it much more exciting a lot more involving. Probably because it felt like I was caught in the middle of a war between Aqua and Magma, rather than just being against one whilst the other was just...kinda there.

Of the three, I'd say Groudon is probably my favourite...it's a giant flaming red dinosaur thing. Can't go wrong with that. Kyogre has always been the more useful - at least for me - but Groudon just looks more the part of a Legendary. I've always mostly discounted Rayquaza, as its design isn't very imaginative...seen one serpentine dragon, seen them all. Although it DOES get points for looking a bit like Serpentera in flight (and yes, I did call it that the first time. xD) and for having a badass shiny design...Kyogre was just a little TOO pink for my liking, and Groudon was...meh.

It took me quite a while to catch the three of them in Emerald...I remember spending hours chucking Ultra Balls at Kyogre especially. Groudon was co-operative, and Rayquaza didn't take too long (I had a tendency to save up Master Balls in those days for when I REALLY needed them...still do kinda. xD) either.

jacktheking

Hatched Egg
Years
Anyhow, what are your thoughts on participation of these Pokémon in RSE, did you like, or dislike like?

I like the story! It is one of the best part in Emerald. - Well, I have not play R/S.

Of these three, which is your most favorite?

Umm.. it is hard.. Rayquaza.

Approximately, how long did it take you to successfully capture them?

I dont remember for Groudon or Kyogre. I restart my several time, there was one time that I caught Rayquaza with a Pokeball! Well.. a few hours of gameplay? Umm.. a few minutes of battle.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Me--I've quite enjoyed their presence, and have felt that they've played quite a big role in Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald equally. Plot of these games were focused around them, in fact; as I've mentioned in opening post, Team Magma and Aqua's plan was to capture Groudon and Kyogre, and it was up to us to stop them from being successful and doing what they have in mind with assistance from Rayquaza.

Personally, of them all, my most favorite would likely have to be Rayquaza. First and foremost is that it's got Air Lock ability, which gives this Pokémon an advantage over Groudon and Kyogre by negating their weather effect and whatnot; when these three go head-to-head, I feel Rayquaza would likely wind up to be victor. Plus, its design is more fierce-looking, I believe, which I'm pretty fond of.

Dedenne1

[SPAN="FONT-SIZE:16.5PX; FONT-FAMILY: SATISFY; TEX
Years
In my opinion in RS the storyline was predictable and simple and i didnt like how much it was changed from game to game there should realky be one storyline with minor changes. But for emerald who knew who would win there was an awesome battle in the city u had to find a hidden island with steven instead of going in that stupid cave and you find the legendary rayquaza and it stops everything with a roar what else could be cooler? In my opinion emerald is also the best.

As for the legends:
Idk why we have Kyogre being super effective agianst groudon it kinda makes it one sided. But now in Oras that prob is kinda fixed. As for rayquaza it states itself its the third more powerful pokemon of the 3 and i like it quite a bit and i like its role better ine emerald rather than in RS were you'd find it afterwords.

Back