• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: FireRed 649 Patch

Hack save routine for extra saveable space? Would break compatibility with flashcarts

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
Wow. He is? So every game will have its own 649 patch. I remembered Chao Rush saying he was gonna do it but then he found he don't have enough room to.

Don't quote me on it, though. I'm fairly certain he's still working on it, but his situation's changed somewhat in the last few months, so he barely has time to hack any more.

In other news, I have released Alpha 3 to coincide with the 1 year anniversary of me starting this project. Enjoy!

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018

So you found a post I made before speaking to Gamer2020, on a dead part of a website which should be (by all rights) inaccessible as evidence of what, exactly?

That I intended to make an Emerald patch in the past? If so, well done.

As I said above, that post was made before I had spoken to Gamer2020 at length over his patch. Times change.

EDIT: I just re-read this now and I realised it comes across as really nasty. Sorry about that! I did intend to make an Emerald Version back when I posted that post on TPW, but when I found out that Gamer2020 was making one, I figured it'd be kinda pointless to continue.

Last edited:

Speedster

The Unknown
Years
Don't quote me on it, though. I'm fairly certain he's still working on it, but his situation's changed somewhat in the last few months, so he barely has time to hack any more.

In other news, I have released Alpha 3 to coincide with the 1 year anniversary of me starting this project. Enjoy!
Wow. You already got Alpha 3 out! I really should try to get moving on those movesets. Seems like mainly the only thing holding you back from the final release is small little data pieces missing and bugs. Lots and lots of bugs.

Just like Jambo said, How in the world did you find that?

Years
  • Seen Nov 27, 2013
This is exciting! I have a few questions and a suggestion. I'm relatively new to all this hacking stuff so this will include all Pokemon and space to hold them all in the Pc? Will I be able to transfer newer Pokemon to older games? Can input this on a flash cart put the flash cart into an Action Replay and use Action Replay codes for Firered? What region will this all be located in I would like to suggest adding Crystal Onix or ??? Plate Arceus. Sorry for all the questions this hack/patch sounds awesome don't give up!

Speedster

The Unknown
Years
This is exciting! I have a few questions and a suggestion. I'm relatively new to all this hacking stuff so this will include all Pokemon and space to hold them all in the Pc? Will I be able to transfer newer Pokemon to older games? Can input this on a flash cart put the flash cart into an Action Replay and use Action Replay codes for Firered? What region will this all be located in I would like to suggest adding Crystal Onix or ??? Plate Arceus. Sorry for all the questions this hack/patch sounds awesome don't give up!
I can answer this. First, Jambo said he probably won't be adding and extension to the space in the PC. You can get rid of a Rattata and Bidoof for the better ones. If you are thinking of trading say Zekrom to a regular Ruby I'm guessing there would be a heck lot of problems. That's because that data isn't already on that ROM. As for the Action Replay codes it may be hard to fit it on a Flash Cart since it will be a large file but even then data has been rearranged so many cheats may not work and ruin the game. Finally, its based on FireRed. Let me remind you that this is not hack but a patch to base hacks on so it is just a updated FireRed that you can edit once completed.

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
Wow. You already got Alpha 3 out! I really should try to get moving on those movesets. Seems like mainly the only thing holding you back from the final release is small little data pieces missing and bugs. Lots and lots of bugs.

Well, I knocked off most of the actual "bugs" as it were. Forme pallet loading doesn't work, but that's not because it's buggy, I just haven't done it yet.

There's a lot of missing data, and I completely removed all the old sprites in favour of newer, better ones - which has resulted in only a few 5th Gen Pokémon actually having sprites.

I added a bunch of new stuff that I really want people to test. I really want people to try to stretch the new abilities and see if I got their programming right! I posted a list of the new abilities I've added above, so you could refer to that for testing.

I've adopted the same system as LaZ did for LC, in that I will have a live beta which will contain the latest changes to the ROM, but will almost certainly be buggier than the actual Alpha 3 release. I'm hoping people will appreciate this offer of a latest ROM as it will give some insight into what I am currently working on (if anything).

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
Could you provide a mirror for Alpha 3? The link won't work for me. It just freezes my browser for a few seconds and then nothing happens, no download shows up. I would really like to see what changes have been made since the last alpha.
EDIT: nevermind I got it to work by right clicking and selecting "Save Link As"

Wow. He is? So every game will have its own 649 patch. I remembered Chao Rush saying he was gonna do it but then he found he don't have enough room to.
Well there's actually not enough space in the Emerald rom to expand all the tables (names, base stats, tm list, frame 1 table, frame 2 table, palette table, sprite animation table, movesets, cries, pokedex entries, probably some other stuff too). But I could expand to 32mb which is more than enough space. But the reason why I'm not is because I'm a lazy poophead and I don't want to sprite 2 frames for 649 Pokemon, and I don't want to take the time to research how the sprite animations work in Emerald. So the real reason is not because of free space - anyone can expand the rom. The real reason is because I'm a lazy poophead XD

Last edited:

Sayan

is tightening its focus
Years
Finally, the new alpha's out.

Btw, do you plan on adding the ability overworld effects that're absent in FireRed? Like Synchronize and Swarm's overworld effects which are available only in Emerald and subsequent games. This's not a feature request or anything, I'm just curious. That along with the EV reducing berries and the animated sprites are the only difference between Firered and Emerald that're important to me (not counting the real time clock, for obvious reasons).

A Ruby version would also be nice. It'd be interesting to be able to challenge the battle tower with the new mechanics (but that'd also render a lot of the NPC teams' movesets unviable).

Btw, I'd suggest you give move animations the least priority, as games can be played fine without them by disabling Battle Scene.

Years
  • Seen Sep 11, 2016
hello n good day.since the last time I wrote the message to you I have several videos on youtube and have edited the titlescreen,but added few new pokemons,wrote a script through youtube help to get national dex,as the one you gave me didn't worked. also I figured out how to hex edit to get every new pokemon you added in your patch entry in pokedex by the hex way you told. Thanx for that. But still I can't find a way,a video or a tutorials to know how to add all these pokemons location in wild.as a map is of no help and I know nothing about Hex editing. So could you plz help me with one pokemon location edit and I will figure out the others. I know I am asking you much that too when you are already having project of your own. But I will really appreciate your help if I can know and get all these pokemons in my game, so at last I can play it... I havnt played from the day I am trying ti patch this 649 patch.pl help.
Also where is this new patch of yours can't get it...
Best regards and sorry if its again text written as I don't know what's that. Take care.

Germaniac

Victoria Concordia Crescit
Years
hello n good day.since the last time I wrote the message to you I have several videos on youtube and have edited the titlescreen,but added few new pokemons,wrote a script through youtube help to get national dex,as the one you gave me didn't worked. also I figured out how to hex edit to get every new pokemon you added in your patch entry in pokedex by the hex way you told. Thanx for that. But still I can't find a way,a video or a tutorials to know how to add all these pokemons location in wild.as a map is of no help and I know nothing about Hex editing. So could you plz help me with one pokemon location edit and I will figure out the others. I know I am asking you much that too when you are already having project of your own. But I will really appreciate your help if I can know and get all these pokemons in my game, so at last I can play it... I havnt played from the day I am trying ti patch this 649 patch.pl help.
Also where is this new patch of yours can't get it...
Best regards and sorry if its again text written as I don't know what's that. Take care.
I think you need Gamer2020's PGE

marcc5m

what
Years
Found a bug not listed in the OP. My Squirtle was poisoned by a Weedle's Poison Sting in the first Bug Catcher battle and the game crashed.

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
Found a bug not listed in the OP. My Squirtle was poisoned by a Weedle's Poison Sting in the first Bug Catcher battle and the game crashed.

Cheers, I'll look into this when I get home from work. EDIT: Found and fixed the bug. Good spot, Fireworks. Change to the Live Beta file to get the fix, as well as some additions to the new moves. :)

Finally, the new alpha's out.

Btw, do you plan on adding the ability overworld effects that're absent in FireRed? Like Synchronize and Swarm's overworld effects which are available only in Emerald and subsequent games. This's not a feature request or anything, I'm just curious. That along with the EV reducing berries and the animated sprites are the only difference between Firered and Emerald that're important to me (not counting the real time clock, for obvious reasons).

A Ruby version would also be nice. It'd be interesting to be able to challenge the battle tower with the new mechanics (but that'd also render a lot of the NPC teams' movesets unviable).

Btw, I'd suggest you give move animations the least priority, as games can be played fine without them by disabling Battle Scene.

I intend to add their OW effects, but if I'm not guaranteeing anything.
The move animations already are of the lowest priority of the remaining things.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Sep 11, 2016
confused...

I think you need Gamer2020's PGE

But how will PGE help me to set locations for wild pokemons added through jambo51 patch.pl the thing is he doesn't seem to have time to tell or give a hint how to do so and I don't know any way. A map by lu- ho doesn't support over 441 pokemons.changed and I don't know how to find wild poke above 441 through hex editi. So any other suggestio. But thanx least you noticed my plea and took time to reply to me. Thanx.
Right now I am trying my best to find any guide to add locations to newly added gen 5 pokemons.changed and changing titlescreen logo. But....

Germaniac

Victoria Concordia Crescit
Years
But how will PGE help me to set locations for wild pokemons added through jambo51 patch.pl the thing is he doesn't seem to have time to tell or give a hint how to do so and I don't know any way. A map by lu- ho doesn't support over 441 pokemons.changed and I don't know how to find wild poke above 441 through hex editi. So any other suggestio. But thanx least you noticed my plea and took time to reply to me. Thanx.
Right now I am trying my best to find any guide to add locations to newly added gen 5 pokemons.changed and changing titlescreen logo. But....
Didn't jambo uploaded the .ini file? CMIIW :)

shinyabsol1

Pokemon DarkJasper!?
Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2022
tamsheel said:

PGE can't set the new Pokemon to appear in the wild. You have to manually edit the wild data with a hex editor.

Years
  • Seen Jul 23, 2015
Not sure if I've done something weird, as I can't recall seeing it elsewhere in the thread, but the patch (at least the newest version at any rate) seems to conflict with JPAN's hacked engine, quite severely, with the game restarting whenever a battle is entered. Is this a bug you've looked into? Or just me being an idiot?

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
Not sure if I've done something weird, as I can't recall seeing it elsewhere in the thread, but the patch (at least the newest version at any rate) seems to conflict with JPAN's hacked engine, quite severely, with the game restarting whenever a battle is entered. Is this a bug you've looked into? Or just me being an idiot?

Actually, one of the earliest things I said in this thread was that it would probably be completely incompatible with JPAN's engine. I hadn't tested it, but obviously it is. However, I still speculate that a good amount of JPAN's hacked engine could work with my patch, but there will be some incompatibilities.

Unless you mean you used my patch and then his (or vice versa) because that would obviously cause crashes.

Also, welcome to PC. Congrats on your first post.

Years
  • Seen Jul 23, 2015
Ah, must have missed it in my search, cheers for speedy reply though. Is that something you ever had the urge to change? Although I imagine that would require far more work than really necessary...
Anyway, I take my hat off to you for this, it's very impressive. If you need any help with more menial tasks (although I understand you already have a moveset -sorter), I'd be happy to help :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back