• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen No Red Gyarados?

imevil

Biggest Scyther Fan
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jun 5, 2016
So at the beginning of Diamond and Pearl (I don't remember if it was also Platinum) you watch TV and see there is a Red Gyarados in the area. You go out to see it and that is where you end p getting your Pokemon. When I first saw this I was excited that we would be able to catch the Pokemon we all remembered from the GSC days. But he never show'd up. Was anyone else disappointed.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
A little. It would have been fun to be able to catch a Red Gyarados for some link back to Johto and the GSC days, but once I learned that I wouldn't be able to catch it, I got over it really. Although, it would have been nice if just say, you bea the Elite Four, or on your journey to the three lakes later on in the plot, you'd be able to capture it.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
I never really liked Red Gyarados, it wasn't special to me because everyone could get it, so I wasn't sad to see it go. >_o

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
Years
I also think the blow was softened a lot when HG/SS were announced, made it all make sense.

Sirfetch’d

I think they placed it in the opening scene as a hint about HG/SS. I never cared about it though...

Ammako

I hate you. You know who you are.
Years
  • Seen Feb 1, 2018
I think they placed it in the opening scene as a hint about HG/SS. I never cared about it though...

I don't understand why people see references as "hints" that X game is going to be released/remade.

Years
  • Seen Jul 16, 2014
I was exited i would be able to catch it which didn't happen, but HG/SS came out later so i wasn't too disappointed.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
Because they put hints in their games and it uselly is a hint. Team Rocket Grunt said he was gonna go to a far away region and start TR all over and in Unova you can find the same guy,but he had a family and it failed.

As other have said,I really don't care much for Red Gyarados because it is common. Honestly I didn't even remember that. Then again,it has been a while sense I had Diamond.

Adrian!

Urban Adventurer
Years
III think it would have been an amazing idea to put it in the game. A beginner friend of mine had caught a shiny Magikarp in her Diamond version. She didn't know why it was a different color and thought it was glitched, so she traded it to someone who she didn't know was ripping her off. I died when I found because I had really wanted a red Gyarados more than anything in the D/P days.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
I was not disappointed as I did not expect to catch it! But I found it an odd thing to use to introduce the game in the first place - out of everything, thy chose that? Which I case is why some people took it as a hint for a HGSS remake given its unnecessary usage.

PiemanFiddy

Dark-Type Gym Leader
Years
Wut? There was a TV that broadcasted a Red Gyarados? I have platinum.. so IDK if that applies to me.. but I never really paid attention to the TV. XD

I just want my mom to shutup and take my money so I can have more Poke' Dolls. >:l

imevil

Biggest Scyther Fan
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jun 5, 2016
I never expected to be able to catch it so it never really phased me. It wouldn't make much sense anyway, because if the Sinnoh trainer caught the Red Gyarados, how could the Johto trainer catch it as well.

because there is more than one shiny Gyarados in the pokemon world?

Rainbow Arcanine

now known as aslan
Years
I was slightly disappointed when I first heard there wasn't a Red Gyarados when I was around 8 and I remember getting furious at the newsreporters from the beginning of the game,saying they were pure liars. Now being a bit older and less...crazy over such things, I realised they just wanted people to put more effort in the games searching for a Red Gyarados.

But then again, I found it even if they included it uneccessary since there was already one since GSC. So there isn't much point if they threw in another one, it would of been nice if there was another shiny to catch in the game but that's just me :p.

Manganum

Your local sine wave
Years
They never told you you'd be able to catch the red Gyarados; if I remember correctly, Barry/your rival says something along the lines of "let's go to the lake and catch a Pokemon like that," while in Platinum he refers directly to Mesprit.

FrostPheonix

Eternity.
Years
I was dissapointed, if I am right there was a news reporter in the battle frontier island that said he was there to film it. So excited. And then I finish the place and found heatran. Although I got a legend, I was so angry at Game Freak for talking about it the whole time and then just not bothering to continue that anymore.

Don Bastio

Banned
Years
if everyone could get a red gyarados, they might as well have a regular gyarados. the rarity of shinys make up more of the appeal than the color of them. (at least for me)

Sableye~

Back to PC~
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2018
Diamond was my first game, so I didn't know what a shiny was at the time. But, as for the question, my answer is no. I don't really consider red Gyarados to be at the same level as other shiny Pokemon. After all, anyone with some Pokemon knowledge and a version of HG or SS can get one.

Don Bastio

Banned
Years
Diamond was my first game, so I didn't know what a shiny was at the time. But, as for the question, my answer is no. I don't really consider red Gyarados to be at the same level as other shiny Pokemon. After all, anyone with some Pokemon knowledge and a version of HG or SS can get one.

shinys are in every game since gen II....

Pinta77

That can also be true about Suicune, Entei, Raikou, Dragonite, Garchomp, Haxorous, and Pichu. There are quite a few freebie shinys. I agree they aren't as special, but they're still something.

Back