• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Showcase and Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Aug 2, 2014
phenac_city_by_haradion-d7k2g7x.png

Any thoughts?

Rayquaza.

Lead Dev in Pokémon Order and Chaos
Years
I will say is that it is ridiculously big which, I think is a bit unnecessary.

Also if you told us more about the map we can evaluate it based on the information you give with it, e.g. A Gym map can be evaluated based on the amount of trainers and/or puzzles inside it.

There is the problem at the top of the map which is an issue because of the amount of empty space there is.
On the whole I think it is a tad too dull because it is too symmetrical and there is too much empty space.

Hopefully you will take this advice when improving, good luck.

Years
  • Seen Aug 2, 2014
I know it looks a little off, a little unsymmetrical, but then, the Map is a remake of Phenac City, from the Colosseum series? Its was notable for its oasis-theme, water, marble and sand coming together. Its primary feature was this great big fountain in the middle of the city. Its a city, for the 4th Gym in a game I am making.

Up at top, will be trainers you can challenge to battles, and when you beat all five, will receive a the "Choice" item of your Choice. The Band, Scarf, or Specs, and the TM Knock off. The other two will be available later.

The other notable thing about the game, is that "Gyms" are not divided by type, but by strategies.
One will specialize in Trick Room, One with Weather, One will run a "Rest Talk" set, One will run powerful items like Choice Items, Life Orb, etc.
That's the one here, hence the Knock off.

Think of the bottom half as the actual city, and the top half as a route, or minigame, like Safari, or Marsh?

Last edited:

Radical Raptr

#BAMFPokemonNerd
Years
I know it looks a little off, a little unsymmetrical, but then, the Map is a remake of Phenac City, from the Colosseum series? Its was notable for its oasis-theme, water, marble and sand coming together. Its primary feature was this great big fountain in the middle of the city. Its a city, for the 4th Gym in a game I am making.

Up at top, will be trainers you can challenge to battles, and when you beat all five, will receive a the "Choice" item of your Choice. The Band, Scarf, or Specs, and the TM Knock off. The other two will be available later.

The other notable thing about the game, is that "Gyms" are not divided by type, but by strategies.
One will specialize in Trick Room, One with Weather, One will run a "Rest Talk" set, One will run powerful items like Choice Items, Life Orb, etc.
That's the one here, hence the Knock off.

Think of the bottom half as the actual city, and the top half as a route, or minigame, like Safari, or Marsh?
Phenac city?
Oh man, that is a poor representation of a city from a great game.
It needs a lot of work.
You can't have it be exactly the same because it will not have the same effect.

Years
  • Seen Aug 2, 2014
The top of the map is a bit blank but otherwise love it

Thanks!
As I said, there will be trainers there in game, so hopefully it will look a bit less sparse then.

Phenac city?
Oh man, that is a poor representation of a city from a great game.
It needs a lot of work.
You can't have it be exactly the same because it will not have the same effect.

Hmm. Not impressed I take it. Well, that's fine, but some actual feedback or suggestions would be more helpfull... I thought it was rather like Phenac actually...

TBM_Christopher

Semi-pro Game Dev
Years
Spoiler:

Any thoughts?
It's an interesting map, and it definitely gives off a similar vibe to Phenac City while still being different. However, the land between the fountain and the rest of the water looks severely out of place, and the ledges don't really serve to provide a sense of elevation when next to the water's surface, which is even presently(one way to fix this could be to add a small waterfall tile everywhere the land rises in elevation to convey that change in altitude. Other than these issues, I feel you did a pretty good job making it feel different form Phenac City while still being reminiscent of it, and with some polish and trimming of the dead space on the map, this could turn out really well.

Years
  • Seen Aug 2, 2014
The edges of the trees that don't overlap look a little choppy. Is there a tile you forgot there?

It makes it look quite blocky. The art style is interesting. Which tile set are you using? custom?

Other than that, I quite like it. Its the right size for an opening route.

The m

???
Years
The edges of the trees that don't overlap look a little choppy. Is there a tile you forgot there?

It makes it look quite blocky. The art style is interesting. Which tile set are you using? custom?

Other than that, I quite like it. Its the right size for an opening route.

Ooops, I forgot to add the edges of trees.

These are some random assortment of Kelydove and BoomxBig with some random tiles recolored.

Radical Raptr

#BAMFPokemonNerd
Years
Route4_zps1db01dd4.png

Route 4 of my game. Thoughts?

Seems a bit small for a 4th route. Unlike the beginning areas, by this time the player is more experienced and about to make headway to their current goal, be it reaching an area for a particular pokemon, meeting an important npc, or battling the gym leader. Iunno, maybe I'm thinking too much about it, but it seems too small to really capture the player's attention and seem memorable.

tImE

It's still me, 44tim44 ;)
Years
+1 what Saving Raven said.

I also think the area is a little too open if you do want the route to be small.
Try adding a ledge to the right of the tree in the grass, and remove a bit of the grass below it, so you can backtrack.

Otherwise quite a nice map.

Good use of decoration.

pokemongarnet

CAT-BUS!
Years
  • Seen Dec 13, 2016
Hi guys, I was hoping for some critique on this map. Please keep in mind however, that it is a work in progress. I need to think of something to put in the top right corner. Also considering whether to go with the 4th gen style or back to 3rd gen.

82f3f752ab087b9aef032813057b5aac-d7lltdl.png

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jan 30, 2020
Spoiler:
I like the way you have done the water and the island looks really nice but looks a little square to me.

Spoiler:
I think the seconds grass/flowers/paths and everything looks better but the trees not so much id go with the second but swap the first ones trees with it, if not just use the first one, the trees look way to beach/tropical like in the second.

now for mine: It is a city you pass by to go to a gym on a island out at sea in the next route.

(the logs and ledge are just there to stop the player for now haven't done the route over there yet)

sail_city_by_missinglukey-d7m0yod.png

Last edited:

pokemongarnet

CAT-BUS!
Years
  • Seen Dec 13, 2016
Spoiler:
I like the way you have done the water and the island looks really nice but looks a little square to me.

Spoiler:

I think the seconds grass/flowers/paths and everything looks better but the trees not so much id go with the second but swap the first ones trees with it, if not just use the first one, the trees look way to beach/tropical like in the second.

now for mine: It is a city you pass by to go to a gym on a island out at sea in the next route.

(the logs and ledge are just there to stop the player for now haven't done the route over there yet)

sail_city_by_missinglukey-d7m0yod.png

Good map overall. One problem I see is that it might be tough for the player to travel diagonally along that route. Also, I think that the houses look nicer with the same colored roof, but that's entirely your call.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 27, 2014
This is the first city I designed for my game made with PC. It,s visited early to midway through the game. The gym can only be accessed after going through the forest (whose entrance is north of the town and a bit to the east) and the left part of the town is only accessible after a certain plot point has been completed. Ignore the white part, that's where a route is supposed to go.

Also, this is the city with a grass-type gym leader. Does it look grass-y enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back