• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Feb 6, 2018
I have found a lot of cases where the same palette is copied around in several places, so while they may use the same one, it might also be different.

I suggest using the VBA/APE method of finding palletes to really see the exact one the backsprite is using

Yeah, I was thinking that was the case too, possibly, but I don't know how to find it. What exactly is this VBA/APE method?

Sudeki

Can you feel it?
Years
How do you add new palettes to Firered using the hacked engine?
Refer to this post :
Well of course you have to have JPAN's hacked engine. He repointed the table to 0x1A2400. It keeps the same format of the original, PPPPPPPP nnnn0000. P= Pointer, N=Pallete Number. So say you wanted to add a new pallete and have it located at 0x800000, you would do this. 00008008 20110000. Thats what you would add to the table. I dont know what the 11 does, but the 20 is hex so it makes the pallete number 32. Make sure you end the table with the 00000000 FF110000 or else it wont work.

Now go to 0x800000 and place youre pallete data there. What I do is edit the pallete of an original one in NSE and copy down the hex data and paste it to the 0x800000.
Code:
0E 53 9C 5F 10 2A B1 2E 58 57 89 2D 8D 3E F2 56
FC 3D DE 7F 31 46 0C 3A 54 25 B9 3A F3 31 C6 18
0E 53 5F 5B FE 4A 5B 3A 0F 21 9F 5A BA 3D 11 29
12 77 0C 66 E7 24 18 6B 31 4A 29 2D FF 7F 00 00
Thats the first pallete I have in my table. Also go to the overworld you want to edit and change its pallete numbe to your new one. Edit the sprites.ini file in OW:RE to &H11A2400 and open it up. Go to the sprite and there it is.

If anything is unclear say so, because I am kinda tired right now. Its also been months since I have done this.
Should answer all your questions about it.

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
My XSE randomly stopped working. As soon as I open the program, I get a "subscript out of range" message. I even tried downloading a fresh new copy and I still get that. It shows that message even when I open just the program, and not any ROM. Any ideas on what is causing this?

EDIT: nvm, I fixed it by manually disabling the auto-update check in the Settings file.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jun 14, 2016
I've been having trouble with my emerald hack. How do I change the posistion of the Mom when you first go into your house and she shows you the TV.

Maximo v.2

my walking sprites and....
Years
Rom freezing problem...

Sooo yeh I'm having to write this on my phone and inbox it to my facebook then copy and paste it to here since a cup of tea happened to fall on my keyboard, so I would really appretiate a straight answer so I can avoid such a long process to reply...

Anyway I've been in the process of hacking a fire red rom for my brother as a christmas present, I've easily enough figured out how to map and change movement permissions also how to set up warps for new house's so I'm not a total noob but after a test run I make it up to the point just after the man teaches you how to catch a pokemon and try yo walk up to the next route but the game freeze's...any explanation why? Would really really appretiate it!...

Thank you...

Hyper Chibi Absol

The Chibiest Absol ever :3
Years
>.<+ Ok um.. Can I please have some help with my XSE? I'm still trying to fix the problem I have with my "pokeball" item because I was trying to change a PP UP to a Sunstone but now it won't do anything. I'm trying to change the script and offset (I looked up the free space and came up with this script)

Spoiler:

But for some reason when I go to click debug, it says "Unknown keyword "end" at line 5". I looked up someones tutorial on how to make scripts (though they were for Fire Red/Leaf Green and I'm using Ruby but I didn't think that mattered)

Can someone please help?

Sudeki

Can you feel it?
Years
>.<+ Ok um.. Can I please have some help with my XSE? I'm still trying to fix the problem I have with my "pokeball" item because I was trying to change a PP UP to a Sunstone but now it won't do anything. I'm trying to change the script and offset (I looked up the free space and came up with this script)

Spoiler:

But for some reason when I go to click debug, it says "Unknown keyword "end" at line 5". I looked up someones tutorial on how to make scripts (though they were for Fire Red/Leaf Green and I'm using Ruby but I didn't think that mattered)

Can someone please help?
I don't see any problem with what you are using, I don't know why it would not know what "end" is. It lets me compile your script just fine without errors. What version of XSE are you using? It sounds like its an issue on your end.

Last edited:

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years
I've been having trouble with my emerald hack. How do I change the posistion of the Mom when you first go into your house and she shows you the TV.

Your mother's position is set by a levelscript when you enter that map so all you have to do is change it. You can open the level script by going into the header tab of that map in Advance Map, select the appropriate map script (it should have the script type 03 with an offset of 0x1F77A4). Change the command 'movesprite2 0x1 0x4 0x5' to whatever you want, where 0x4 and 0x5 are the X and Y coordinates respectively (eg 'movesprite2 0x1 0x1 0x3' if you want her to be in front of the sink).

Rom freezing problem...

Sooo yeh I'm having to write this on my phone and inbox it to my facebook then copy and paste it to here since a cup of tea happened to fall on my keyboard, so I would really appretiate a straight answer so I can avoid such a long process to reply...

Anyway I've been in the process of hacking a fire red rom for my brother as a christmas present, I've easily enough figured out how to map and change movement permissions also how to set up warps for new house's so I'm not a total noob but after a test run I make it up to the point just after the man teaches you how to catch a pokemon and try yo walk up to the next route but the game freeze's...any explanation why? Would really really appretiate it!...

Thank you...

It sounds like that specific map has been corrupted in some way so it is hard to correct unless there is detailed information. The easiest way that I find to 'fix' a map which has become unplayable yet you don't know what's wrong is to follow these steps:

• Open it in AdvanceMap
  • Goto 'File > Map > Save Map As' and save it as a .map file
  • Reopen the map from that .map file by going 'File > Map > Open Map'
  • Insert the map by going 'File > Map > Insert Map'
  • Input the map bank and map number that the map originally had under the 'replace map' section - In your case if it is is Route 2 then it would be map bank 3, map number 20
  • Click 'replace' and you should get a message saying it has been replaced successfully

A side effect of this is that is placed into the Pallet Town map folder, but this can be easily corrected:

• Open the map and go into the header tab
  • Open the dropdown box of town/ route names at the top and select where you want to move it to
  • Refresh Advance Map (F5) and now it should be in its chosen loacation

Hopefully all of this helps. It sounds like a lot, but it isn't too hard - Just be sure to make a back up of your game before trying this out for the first time.

Spoiler:

Can someone please help?

That sounds like a textbook case of using an outdated version of XSE - Anything below v1.1.1 is pretty buggy and has trouble with even basic commands like what you're experiencing. Here's a link to a better version.

Years
  • Seen Feb 6, 2018
Rom freezing problem...

Thank you...

Only thing I can think of offhand is that if the point where it freezes is where a script tile is supposed to be, make sure the "Var number" in AdvanceMap is set to 4051.

Years
Hey guys.
I'm having an issue with XSE version 1.11.
Every time I try and open it, I get "Runtime Error 9 - Subscript out of range."
I have tried replacing it with another copy several times but the same message keeps appearing.

Does anyone have any idea on how to fix this?
If I can't get this fixed, my hacking days are over =/

blue

gucci
Years
Hey guys.
I have tried replacing it with another copy several times but the same message keeps appearing.

That's exactly why I came here, I'm having the same issue whenever I try to open a script. It must be something gone wrong with the programme.

Renegade

Time for real life...
Years
Hey guys.

You should read some previous posts before posting things like this...

All you need to do is go into your XSE folder and open "setting.ini". From there, scroll down until you find the line that says "AdvancedUpdateCheck = 1". Change that number to 0.

Years
You should read some previous posts before posting things like this...

All you need to do is go into your XSE folder and open "setting.ini". From there, scroll down until you find the line that says "AdvancedUpdateCheck = 1". Change that number to 0.

I tried looking for the answer to this issue but I couldn't find it. I had been looking around the forums for 2 days..
But thanks a million. This worked wonders. =]

Years
  • Seen Nov 26, 2012
I saw that someone more or less asked this question before, but I was wanting to find out whether or not someone had come up with a script for this already:

I was curious whether or not it would be possible to make the player able to choose from 5 starters rather than 3. I think someone said that it could happen, but it would require rewriting the pokemon giving script.

Also: I was curious how one would go about making more slots for attacks, items, abilities, etc on a FireRed hack. Thanks in advance.

Years
I saw that someone more or less asked this question before, but I was wanting to find out whether or not someone had come up with a script for this already:

I was curious whether or not it would be possible to make the player able to choose from 5 starters rather than 3. I think someone said that it could happen, but it would require rewriting the pokemon giving script.

Also: I was curious how one would go about making more slots for attacks, items, abilities, etc on a FireRed hack. Thanks in advance.

If the Pokemon selection doesn't have an animation, then it is very much possible.
All you do is add 2 more pokeballs onto the map, then you just place the give pokemon script into those balls and there you go. You would obviously need to tell the player what Pokemon they make their choice on it. You could use the picture and cry commands to fit with it.
I don't know the script for this myself but you would get an answer from the Script Help Thread.

As for the extra attack slots, That isn't possible with scripts.
I don't think you can do that with ASM hacking. But I don't know a lot about ASM so I'm not 100% sure about it.
Might be worth looking into.

Hyper Chibi Absol

Years
That sounds like a textbook case of using an outdated version of XSE - Anything below v1.1.1 is pretty buggy and has trouble with even basic commands like what you're experiencing. Here's a link to a better version.

Well thank you for the link but it gave me a RAR file and when I click on it it, it says Windows can't open it. I have to chose a program to open it. :s

Sudeki

Can you feel it?
Years
Well thank you for the link but it gave me a RAR file and when I click on it it, it says Windows can't open it. I have to chose a program to open it. :s
.Rar files are pretty much the superior version of .zip files. You need a program to open them as windows does not support them by default. I suggest getting 7Zip as its a free alternative to something like winrar and works just as well if not better.

Hyper Chibi Absol

Years
.Rar files are pretty much the superior version of .zip files. You need a program to open them as windows does not support them by default. I suggest getting 7Zip as its a free alternative to something like winrar and works just as well if not better.

My Fiance showed me we had 7Zip so that problem was fixed but when I open the program I get an error message "Subscript out of range" and the program closes. Bleh... Programs don't like me lol

Renegade

Time for real life...
Years
My Fiance showed me we had 7Zip so that problem was fixed but when I open the program I get an error message "Subscript out of range" and the program closes. Bleh... Programs don't like me lol

You should read some previous posts before posting things like this... (Cuz I literally just answered this question)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back