• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Quick Questions Thread! [OLD]

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 2, 2014
1. Can you only use cards from each group (not set) for tournaments? Like base, neo, ex, etc.
2. But can you use any basic energy cards or trainers that do the same thing throughout the sets so like electric energy is electric regardless of base set or ey.

Years
1. Can you only use cards from each group (not set) for tournaments? Like base, neo, ex, etc.
2. But can you use any basic energy cards or trainers that do the same thing throughout the sets so like electric energy is electric regardless of base set or ey.

1. For official tournaments, it varies by year, but typically you can't use cards from a set any older than 3 years, unless a card was reprinted in a newer set with the exact same card type and effect. It's not by "block". It's just a given group of sets within a time-frame, and it changes every August (with the occasional change made in late spring/early summer instead) to phase out the oldest sets that it previously allowed. So, right now, nothing older than Next Destinies can be used in official tournaments, except cards that have exact reprints in Next Destinies or a set newer than Next Destinies.

2. Basic Energy fall under the reprints rule and CAN be used no matter what set as long as their legitimate cards and are in a language allowed in your area, since all Basic Energy are exact reprints. Special Energy often are not exact reprints, so you have to compare past versions to current versions to see which ones match and which don't.

Trainers, however, have to have exact reprints in a current set for older ones to be usable. Same goes for Pokemon (though Pokemon are less frequently reprinted with exact reprints than Trainers are).

This help at all?

Years
Let me say sorry in advance for making such a general post. I haven't been in the trading card game for a long, long time. Although I'm at the ripe old age of 26 now, I've really got into collecting various things, and have a desire to get back into Pokemon trading card collecting. (I have no interest in playing the trading card game, just collecting).

Problem is, I don't really know where to start! I know Ebay is probably my best bet, but as a collector who'll be starting with zero cards, I'm not sure which series of cards I should try to collect first. Does anyone have any recommendations or a good pathway for a newbie collector? Obviously I'm aware that base set cards may get a little pricey, and although I have funds to be able to start a decent collection, I'm not at the point where I'll be able to buy base set booster boxes anytime soon. :D I'm not particularly bothered about acquiring cards in a certain order, for what it's worth.

Thanks very much in advance for any help and recommendations.

Years
  • Seen Apr 26, 2015
Probably your best bet would be to just start with the newest cards, b/w x/y. These are readily available in places that sell pokemon cards. Of course you could just collect whatever set you are interested in.

Maybe start by buying a few packs from each of the sets. This will help you get a bunch of the commons and uncommons. The rares are going to be the biggest pains. Even with a booster box you may not get every rare in the set. Either way after that you can go into buying singles online if you want. As the rares are probably cheaper to pick up that way. You can also pick up some pokemon Tins that have Exs in them. This gives you the Ex and 4 packs, usually for the price of 4 packs.

Years
Probably your best bet would be to just start with the newest cards, b/w x/y. These are readily available in places that sell pokemon cards. Of course you could just collect whatever set you are interested in.

Maybe start by buying a few packs from each of the sets. This will help you get a bunch of the commons and uncommons. The rares are going to be the biggest pains. Even with a booster box you may not get every rare in the set. Either way after that you can go into buying singles online if you want. As the rares are probably cheaper to pick up that way. You can also pick up some pokemon Tins that have Exs in them. This gives you the Ex and 4 packs, usually for the price of 4 packs.

Much appreciated, kinda along the lines of my thinking anyway!

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Sep 29, 2016
Could 1st edition stamps ever rub off?

For example, if i slightly wet a q-tip and rub the 1st edition stamp, it should not come off correct?

Theoretically if I scratch hard enough, I think the stamp would come off right?

Years
Could 1st edition stamps ever rub off?

For example, if i slightly wet a q-tip and rub the 1st edition stamp, it should not come off correct?

Theoretically if I scratch hard enough, I think the stamp would come off right?

I'm fairly certain that the likelihood is extremely low. And if it were ever rubbed off, I don't think there'd be the card's background behind it.

If you scratched hard enough to "remove" the "stamp", you'd probably have scratch marks where the "stamp" was. Basically it's called a stamp, but I'm fairly certain based on the way it feels relative to the other text that the 1st Edition stamp is printed on the same layer as the rest of the text.

RandomHype

Explosive Explosion
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Sep 2, 2015
It seems unlikely, but...
Can you use evosoda on a flashfire Caterpie/Metapod on the turn you played it?

Years
It seems unlikely, but...
Can you use evosoda on a flashfire Caterpie/Metapod on the turn you played it?

Based on the wording of Evosoda, I'm going to infer that you cannot use it on either of those on the turn you played it, since Evosoda explicitly states, "You can't use this card during your first turn or on a Pokemon that was put into play this turn."

displayimage.php

FurretFTW!!1!

/me lieks Mightyena, too.
Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2023
If you don't want to play competitively, or if you want to move to Japan and play Palace format, you can use Broken Time-Space with Gabite and Garchomp. Rare Candy and EvoSoda help too, EvoSoda especially because you can search out a Gabite with your Gabite, evolve your Gible, search for another Pokemon, then play EvoSoda to evolve. My opinion, it's better than Rare Candy in that deck if you want to play a full 4-4-4 line. That doesn't mean, don't play Rare Candy, but you can cut some Candy for EvoSoda, for sure.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jul 24, 2014
Hello is anyone here able to help with some cards that need to be checked for authenticity? I can post pictures

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Sep 29, 2016
Hello is anyone here able to help with some cards that need to be checked for authenticity? I can post pictures

go ahead and post them, I am sure everyone will take a look (I know I will)

Back