• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

error with essentials (encounters.txt)

Gusano2314

Worm Launcher :U
Years
  • Seen Apr 5, 2013
Message: Undefined encounter type , expected one of the following:
["Land", "Cave", "Water", "RockSmash", "OldRod", "GoodRod", "SuperRod", "HeadbuttLow", "HeadbuttHigh", "LandMorning", "LandDay", "LandNight", "BugContest"]
File PBS/encounters.txt, line 1

Compiler:1096:in `pbCompileEncounters'
Compiler:4064:in `pbCompileAllData'
Compiler:4170
i have this problem after editing the encounters file
i used the editor to make the encounters, and i follow the example encounters.txt
Spoiler:

and this is my encounters.txt(yes, am making a touhoumon game with rpg maker :U)
Spoiler:

i cannot belive this, before editing some lines in the editor the game didnt throws me that error. help!

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
Years
I'm now having the same issues. I've used the PBS files to insert new encounters, and it worked for Route 101 without errors; however, when I've added new encounters for the next map, it gives me this error:

Spoiler:

Furthermore, the file is in ANSI format (searched that that may solve the problem; it did not.) and I've added 12 species to every line, even when it wasn't necessary a.k.a. water.

Text file:

Spoiler:

Noting I only want wild Pokemon to come out at night for the Land, which is why there is not "Land" - only "Land Night."

Any help would be appreciated :)

I have not added scripts or changed the code in any way.

Years
  • Seen Dec 3, 2014
Maybe make the density so that it's very rare for a pokemon to be triggered during the day compared to night? Assuming that is you're trying to make a situation like you'll see wild animals more at night compared to the day due to the lack of people around at night?

Other than that I have yet to encounter that error. I'll try it out later!

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
Years
Yeah, but how do I set a specific just for night-time? Can I chop the map up like that? i.e.

Land
PKMN x12

and then another
####
LandNight
PKMN x12

?

The densities are a general thing for all entries - Land, Water, Cave. Unless it can be separated like this, I don't see how it's possible to increase sightings for LandNight without increasing same sightings for Land.\

And even if it can be chopped like that, would the second one not still look for "Land" as an entry?

[Edit]

I tried adding "Land", but the error still occurs at the Magikarp Line. Same error.

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
Yusshin, you really need to start reading the wiki. Each encounter method requires its own number of Pokémon listed under it (e.g. 5 for Water, 2 for OldRod). Your way of only having encounters at night (i.e. only having LandNight) works, so you don't need to worry about that.

Gusano2314, you said you've changed some scripts and now you get your error. That's probably the problem. You've not said what you've changed, so we can't help you.

Gusano2314

Worm Launcher :U
Years
  • Seen Apr 5, 2013
i just used the editor to make the encounters thing, then i edited the encounters.txt using notepad
my english is bad,i tried to say that i user the editor.exe to create the encounters and density.
ill try editing the encounters using editor.exe instead
PD: the only thing that i editen in the scripts is to add the VS animation, and works fine

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
Years
Yusshin, you really need to start reading the wiki. Each encounter method requires its own number of Pokémon listed under it (e.g. 5 for Water, 2 for OldRod). Your way of only having encounters at night (i.e. only having LandNight) works, so you don't need to worry about that.

Gusano2314, you said you've changed some scripts and now you get your error. That's probably the problem. You've not said what you've changed, so we can't help you.

What's odd is I do, actually, read the Wiki and use the Search function on the board, but I missed the chart on the Wiki for some reason. I was basing myself a lot on the default game included with the pack, and between that and the Wiki, what I had understood was that there isn't a limit: only a minimum (12). Obviously, like I said, I overlooked the chart.

Regardless, the 5-only thing worked. It's a bit of a shame that the Rods are limited to so few Pokemon, but I'm not going to complain about that much since it's not a huge issue.

Back