The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Hacks Studio > Sideshow Showcase

Notices

Sideshow Showcase The place to show side-projects that you're working on, for the small yet still big things you want to do, such as translation patches, "386" patches, and anything small like that.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Old August 28th, 2014 (01:09 PM). Edited August 28th, 2014 by Judqment8.
Judqment8

Thanks for clearing. I'm only using the vanilla Throwback and the cries. I have lots of hacks to play, but this one is my top priority list (having a nostalgia feeling and just have to play some Pokemons).

Just because I simply love the original 151 Pokemons and this hack seems to hold on to "originality". And yeah your hack description was entertaining to read. Nice attitude and clean grammar with simple text positions.

Anyway awesome work, much appreciated :D I don't usually comment on hacks (it's been few years since I've been here and forgot my account details so I created a new one), but this hack is probably one of the best ones I've seen in all its simplicity.
Old August 30th, 2014 (04:07 PM).
looneyman1
The Psycho Pokemon

Nature: Jolly
Um...Ok I have a serious issue here. I tried to apply the TM/Move tutor patches specifically to the game to get unlimited use, and nothing happened. TMs and move tutors are still one-off uses.
Old August 30th, 2014 (08:07 PM).
RichterSnipes
Simpleton

Nature: Modest
Quote:
Originally Posted by looneyman1 View Post
Um...Ok I have a serious issue here. I tried to apply the TM/Move tutor patches specifically to the game to get unlimited use, and nothing happened. TMs and move tutors are still one-off uses.
You mean the Extras patch, right? Every feature listed under Extras is in that patch (or the full patch). I can assure you that move tutors can be reused infinitely with it. As for TMs, you have to watch the full cutscene of your trainer applying the TM to the Pokémon learning the new move to keep the TM. This is a flaw in the method developed for reusing TMs in FireRed. Unfortunately, there is no currently-known issue-free method of doing this with FR like there is with Emerald...which is funny considering the undisputed favoritism for hacking FR over other games. Not surprising - it's due to how designation/usage of TMs differs between the games - just funny.

I had considered removing the feature in an update, but people seem to want to keep it enough despite this issue.

Who says hacks have to radically changes things up from their base games?
Red doesn't necessarily think so. He's literally spinning in circles thinking of a "definitive" version of his adventure in Kanto!
Want to see what he has in mind? Click him for a throwback worth experiencing!
Old August 30th, 2014 (08:21 PM).
looneyman1
The Psycho Pokemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichterSnipes View Post
You mean the Extras patch, right? Every feature listed under Extras is in that patch (or the full patch). I can assure you that move tutors can be reused infinitely with it. As for TMs, you have to watch the full cutscene of your trainer applying the TM to the Pokémon learning the new move to keep the TM. This is a flaw in the method developed for reusing TMs in FireRed. Unfortunately, there is no currently-known issue-free method of doing this with FR like there is with Emerald...which is funny considering the undisputed favoritism for hacking FR over other games. Not surprising - it's due to how designation/usage of TMs differs between the games - just funny.

I had considered removing the feature in an update, but people seem to want to keep it enough despite this issue.
OK GOOD, I thought I did something wrong when I patched the IPS file.

Also is there a physical special move split? I know this is ment to be a proper throwback to the original red/blue versions but many pokemon just can't work right without a good STAB. Liquid Crystal is a great example of a full remake that utilizes said 4th gen feature

Also does this hack enable the EV reducing berries? Few if any fire red hacks are willing to implement it which makes no sense, it makes EV training more of a chore than it should. I wanted to check in case because for 3rd gen hacks to use the phys/special split there would have to be the necessary tools. I would assume there's a similar tool for the EV berries, which is why I ask.
Old August 30th, 2014 (09:02 PM).
RichterSnipes
Simpleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by looneyman1 View Post
OK GOOD, I thought I did something wrong when I patched the IPS file.

Also is there a physical special move split? I know this is ment to be a proper throwback to the original red/blue versions but many pokemon just can't work right without a good STAB. Liquid Crystal is a great example of a full remake that utilizes said 4th gen feature

Also does this hack enable the EV reducing berries? Few if any fire red hacks are willing to implement it which makes no sense, it makes EV training more of a chore than it should. I wanted to check in case because for 3rd gen hacks to use the phys/special split there would have to be the necessary tools. I would assume there's a similar tool for the EV berries, which is why I ask.
Well, you said it yourself there. Got to keep it classic. Heck, I might remove abilities in a future update! [/sarcasm] Besides, Liquid Crystal is a bad comparison to this hack. That hack takes some big liberties with the 2nd Gen story, just as HeartGold and SoulSilver do. This hack is meant to be faithful to the originals, which is actually easier since FireRed and LeafGreen were already pretty faithful to begin with. A better comparison would be CrystalDust.

Throwback is meant to act like the original games while still having the sensibilities of later games, all without affecting canon or compatibility with the official games. The first three generations of Pokémon didn't have the Physical/Special split. Adding it to the game does alter balancing quite a bit. Later generations compensated for this with new specialized moves meant to take advantage of the split.

The actual reason for not including it is due to compatibility issues when engaging in link battles. If you try to link battle with another player, and the two of you have alternating Physical/Special split implementations (as in, it's there for one player and not there for the other), battle damage per move will be screwed up on both sides. It's the same reason why I won't add new moves to the game. Using a custom move in a link battle that doesn't exist in the other player's game will cause the battle to glitch up and possibly crash the game. Even if this link issue didn't exist, I don't want to force it on players. This game was meant to be played without it, and adding it significantly affects gameplay.

If there is a way to allow the player to toggle the split on/off, I'll definitely reconsider adding it to the hack. This comes with the stipulation that I can make it so the game always disables the split when going into link battles. It'd be kind of similar to how Pokémon Crystal would re-break fixed battle elements when link battling against someone with a Gold or Silver cartridge.

If you want to add the split yourself, go right ahead. DoesntKnowHowToPlay's patch works just fine for that. I also added a patch later in that thread for changing attack attributes. If you want to add the attribute icons, make sure to look at this post I made in the thread for moving the icons to a different place in the ROM and having them work.

As for the EV berries, I'll look into that. If there's a documented way of doing it without issues, I'll implement it into the hack.

Red doesn't necessarily think so. He's literally spinning in circles thinking of a "definitive" version of his adventure in Kanto!
Old August 30th, 2014 (09:24 PM).
looneyman1
The Psycho Pokemon

Its ok I figured I'd ask about the split at any rate, wasn't sure if it was an unlisted extra feature or not. If I knew how to do any hack work I'd consider making such a patch which sad to say I don't.

I'm glad you considered the matter of the berries, I'll be sure to check back for updates regardless of your final decision.
Old September 25th, 2014 (06:50 PM).
QQQQQQQ7777777

In the full patch, if you use the Game Boy Player once, it works as intended, but if you use it again (to go back to the normal GBA sounds), it freezes.
Old September 29th, 2014 (02:08 PM).
RichterSnipes
Simpleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by QQQQQQQ7777777 View Post
In the full patch, if you use the Game Boy Player once, it works as intended, but if you use it again (to go back to the normal GBA sounds), it freezes.
Geez, that's a pretty bad bug.

Thanks for telling me! A stray byte in the Catch 'em All patch was causing cross-patching issues. I've fixed it and updated the download in the first post. Since it's just a bug-fix, albeit a significant bug, I'm not going to give it the usual release treatment.

Old October 26th, 2014 (10:45 PM).
jAvAcOlA

Geez, that's a pretty bad bug.

Thanks for telling me! A stray byte in the Catch 'em All patch was causing cross-patching issues. I've fixed it and updated the download in the first post. Since it's just a bug-fix, albeit a significant bug, I'm not going to give it the usual release treatment.
Hey Richter, do you think you could tell me how to manually fix this bug? I've edited your ROM heavily for personal use and can't simply re-patch now.

Also on a side note if you could tell me how to remove reusable TMs manually that'd be awesome too.
Old November 2nd, 2014 (09:21 AM).
TheRabbit

The repel system doesn't work. It asks you if you want to use another but nothing happens when you click "yes".
Old November 9th, 2014 (03:29 PM).
RichterSnipes
Simpleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by jAvAcOlA View Post
Hey Richter, do you think you could tell me how to manually fix this bug? I've edited your ROM heavily for personal use and can't simply re-patch now.

Also on a side note if you could tell me how to remove reusable TMs manually that'd be awesome too.
The issue with the previous version was with the GB Player's item usage routine, which is at ROM offset 7705FF. Make sure the bytes starting from there look like this:

Code:
2B F0 08 06 01 1D 06 77 08 29 F0 08 11 01 C4 0F 00 03 35 0F 00 2E 04 78 08 09 04 6C 02 29 2A F0 08 11 01 C4 0F 00 03 35 0F 00 5F 04 78 08 09 04 6C 02 FF
To revert the TM usage, switch the bytes at ROM offsets 124EA0 and 124F6C from 90 to A9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRabbit View Post
The repel system doesn't work. It asks you if you want to use another but nothing happens when you click "yes".
Yeah, that seems to be the case. It's another bug that only affects the full Throwback patch. I've made another fix for that. Since it's just another fix, there's no fanfare again. Still an important update, though. Always try to minimize bugs! In case one wants to fix it manually, change the bytes at ROM offset 1BFB69 to read as such:

Code:
B5 04 48 50 21 00 F0 01 F8 00 BD 00 4A 10 47 1D 74 07 08 99 19 0A 08
As a bonus, I also included diegoisawesome's "Skip Both Intro Tutorials" patch to the Extras series of additions. The download's up, so get at it!

Old November 13th, 2014 (04:01 PM).
TRIFORCE89
Guide of Darkness
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Higher Quality Cries: Have you ever felt that the quality of Pokémon cries in Generations 3-5 was lacking? Well, don't feel that way as much now! This patch will increase the clarity of the cries of all Kanto and Johto Pokémon over what was previously available. The cries were taken from clean recordings from a copy of Pokémon Crystal and downsampled to 16000Hz for insertion into the game. 16000Hz still isn't particularly great, so don't expect miracles with this patch, just minor changes. Since no higher-quality versions of Hoenn Pokémon cries are available to the public (to my knowledge, the DS and console games use the same audio files as the GBA games), their cries remain untouched. But that's kind of a good thing. This is a HUGE patch. Literally. The patch uses the entirety of the free space from 0xA00000 to 0xCFFFFF. I really had to do some massive sqeezing just to get them all to fit in that. Heck, astute listeners will note that the last part of Electabuzz's cry has been removed just for that reason! If Throwback didn't cause any conflicts with other hackers' patches you may be using in tandem with it, there's a good chance this wi
I never saw this before. I haven't checked in here in a while.

What a cool idea though!

I'm going to guess no, but not possible to use the cries from Stadium somehow is it?
Old November 14th, 2014 (03:53 PM).
RichterSnipes
Simpleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRIFORCE89 View Post
I never saw this before. I haven't checked in here in a while.

What a cool idea though!

I'm going to guess no, but not possible to use the cries from Stadium somehow is it?
Actually, it'd be entirely possible to do that! Since the cries are just wav files played via DirectSound, I could theoretically make the Pokémon cries be anything you want. The real difficulty would be obtaining clean cries of the Pokémon from those games. I'm pretty sure there's no way to play them back standalone in Stadium 1 (international, that is), and I don't have a copy of Stadium 2 to test whether it'd be possible from there.

I guess it'd technically be possible to extract the cries from an N64 ROM. I actually fiddled around with the sounds in the ROM a little. I could find many of the sound effects in the game, but not the actual Pokémon cries (or the announcer's voice clips, for that matter). It could have something to do with the "Voice Compression Technology Licensed by Factor 5", but I really don't know.

I can see why you might want an option for them, though. They certainly fit in well with the cries that Pokémon from later generations have.

Old November 14th, 2014 (05:02 PM). Edited November 14th, 2014 by TRIFORCE89.
TRIFORCE89
Guide of Darkness
Community Supporter

Quote:
I can see why you might want an option for them, though. They certainly fit in well with the cries that Pokémon from later generations have.
Not quite my reasoning.

As a "Definitive Kanto Experience", I think it might make sense to use the best available audio from Gen I and II. I always liked how Pokemon who in the GB games had identical or very similar cries now had distinct sounds on the N64.
Old November 14th, 2014 (05:48 PM).
RichterSnipes
Simpleton

Version 3.8.3 Released!

Okay, so I'm cheating a little bit calling this 3.8.3. I didn't wan to release a 3.8.3 until there were enough changes from the previous version to warrant such a change. The numbering justification comes from all the changes made since the initial 3.8.2 release. As such, the changelog includes the changes from revisions A and B as well as the ones in this update. Anyways...

It has come to my attention that there are still a few bugs with the Extras patch, particularly with items I added to the game. Trying to grab any of the three flutes located throughout the game would cause the game to crash. As it turns out, I actually had that code interfering with the GB Player code. Whoops! Them's the brakes when making a multi-patch hack, I guess. Those have been fixed. Also, there were a couple of trees that couldn't be cut at Five Isle Meadow (FireRed only). That's fixed, too. If you haven't yet, check out the changes with the updated download in the first post.

Changelog:
Spoiler:
Main Patch
  • Fixed the revised repel system.
Catch 'em All
  • Fixed a fatal bug with using this patch in tandem with the GB Player patch.
Extras
  • Included diegoisawesome's patch to skip the New Game intro screens that precede Professor Oak. This currently isn't in the LeafGreen patch.
  • Relocated the scripts for the flute items so they don't crash the game. Previously they interfered with GB Player code.
  • Fixed trees on Five Isle Meadow not being cuttable. This error didn't exist in the LeafGreen patch, so only the FireRed patch had this fixed.

Enjoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRIFORCE89 View Post
Not quite my reasoning.

As a "Definitive Kanto Experience", I think it might make sense to use the best available audio from Gen I and II. I always liked how Pokemon who in the GB games had identical or very similar cries now had distinct sounds on the N64.

I might explore this a bit. See if they can be ripped...
"The best available audio" is really subjective. Most people don't really remember how the Pokémon cries sounded in the Stadium games. Plus their 8-bit cries have become rather well-recognized and remembered by many. "Definitive", in this sense, should signify that the game has the objectively best presentation and gameplay available while having as many options as reasonably possible for elements of the game that have subjectively better versions of them. I mean, if I was just going to use the most sophisticated versions of audio in the hack, I wouldn't have bothered including the 8-bit music in the first place.

I'll certainly look at possibly including it as an alternate patch in the future, but that depends on having the capability to rip them. If you can find a way to get them, let me know!

Edit: Looks like I caught your full post before you edited it. Good timing, I guess.

Old 5 Days Ago (09:34 PM). Edited 5 Days Ago by Lunedi.
Lunedi

If this is "The remake we deserve", shouldn't have at least 4th Gen graphics? :/ ...
I don't know.. it doesn't feel a remake with exactly the same graphics than the 3rd Gen..
It would be certainly A LOT better with HG/SS tiles at least :/ ...
Even the sprites are the same of FR/LG ... you could, at least, use the BW Sprites Patch of PokeMMO ...
Anyway, i'm going to play it because i've like the features and the single idea of using Red with his R/B/Y/G Costume makes me going crazy because i love that costume.
Greetings from Uruguay

Cya~
Old 5 Days Ago (09:53 AM).
RichterSnipes
Simpleton

Version 3.9.0 now out!

Happy Winter Solstice! These times of the year are the ones where we all get to relax and enjoy ourselves for the holidays before the hustle and bustle of life come swooping back in. So why not enjoy a sizable update to Throwback while you're at it?

I have to admit, until about a couple of weeks ago I didn't have much motivation to do much for the hack. College had me down, and I just couldn't think of things to do with it right away. However, once I settled down with it, the changes kind of just started piling up!

I really have to thank FBI agent here. If it wasn't for his breakneck pace of releasing new ASM routines for FireRed, I might not have gotten enough drive to go on with this! Many thanks to you.

Anyways, here's the update. I'm confident there's something for everyone here. Please apply the patches to a clean ROM. There will be conflicts otherwise.

Changelog:
Spoiler:
Extras
  • TMs are now properly infinite. They also cannot be sold or given to Pokémon anymore. Courtesy of FBI agent.
  • As a result of the above, the Celadon Department Store does not sell TMs anymore. TM15 (Hyper Beam) is now a prize at the Celadon Game Corner (5,500 Coins). TM23 (Iron Tail) is now in Seafoam Islands. TM10 (Hidden Power) is in the Sevault Canyon and is no longer obtainable using the Pickup ability; it's been replaced by Full Restore.
  • Pokémon no longer faint if their health fully depletes from poison on the overworld. This replicates how poisoning is handled in Gen IV. Courtesy of daniilS.
  • Professor Oak no longer tells you how to battle in your first Pokémon fight against your rival.
  • Mt. Moon's 2nd level has been fixed in FireRed. Both versions of the patch also see the floor have a slight adjustment in layout to make more geographical sense.
  • Ported the skipping intro text before Professor Oak behavior to LeafGreen.
  • The title screen now lasts for a full minute before returning to the copyright screen.
  • Made the repel message prompt consistent with the current games.
  • Fixed the Extras patch in general. Previously it contained both the complete patch and higher quality cries. It works as it should again.
  • Code cleanup.
Catch 'em All
  • Implemented Shiny Quagsire's edits to the RTC routine. Prior bugs from it, particularly trading with other players, have been fixed.
  • Edited hold items of wild Pokémon. Refer to the Event Guide to see which Pokémon can hold what trade evolve item in the wild.
  • Super Nerd Miguel now disappears from Mt. Moon after taking one of the fossils.
GB Player
  • The TM/HM obtained and starter obtained jingles now play properly again.

Enjoy this yuletide gift, and I hope everyone has a wonderful and safe holiday break!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunedi View Post
If this is "The remake we deserve", shouldn't have at least 4th Gen graphics? :/ ...
I don't know.. it doesn't feel a remake with exactly the same graphics than the 3rd Gen..
It would be certainly A LOT better with HG/SS tiles at least :/ ...
Even the sprites are the same of FR/LG ... you could, at least, use the BW Sprites Patch of PokeMMO ...
Anyway, i'm going to play it because i've like the features and the single idea of using Red with his R/B/Y/G Costume makes me going crazy because i love that costume.
Greetings from Uruguay

Cya~
The "remake" part of that statement is referring to FireRed and LeafGreen themselves. They are remakes of the 1st Gen games. My hack improves upon them in hopes to provide the best 1st Gen experience possible. Also, different graphics does not necessarily a better game make. The graphics from HG/SS work well enough for those games because of the 3D elements in them. FR/LG do not have 3D elements in their overworlds, and because of that porting the graphics style wouldn't have the same effect. Besides, it's not like those games have better graphics for everything in FR/LG.

Also, I think you're taking the "catchphrase" in the banner a bit too seriously. It was just meant to be a play on the quote from The Dark Knight. I'm not claiming anything concrete from it, just giving an idea of what the hack is about.

Old 4 Days Ago (02:58 PM).
Chaos_Darkrai

Quote:
Version 3.9.0 now out!

Happy Winter Solstice! These times of the year are the ones where we all get to relax and enjoy ourselves for the holidays before the hustle and bustle of life come swooping back in. So why not enjoy a sizable update to Throwback while you're at it?

I have to admit, until about a couple of weeks ago I didn't have much motivation to do much for the hack. College had me down, and I just couldn't think of things to do with it right away. However, once I settled down with it, the changes kind of just started piling up!

I really have to thank FBI agent here. If it wasn't for his breakneck pace of releasing new ASM routines for FireRed, I might not have gotten enough drive to go on with this! Many thanks to you.

Anyways, here's the update. I'm confident there's something for everyone here. Please apply the patches to a clean ROM. There will be conflicts otherwise.

Changelog:
Spoiler:
Extras
  • TMs are now properly infinite. They also cannot be sold or given to Pokémon anymore. Courtesy of FBI agent.
  • As a result of the above, the Celadon Department Store does not sell TMs anymore. TM15 (Hyper Beam) is now a prize at the Celadon Game Corner (5,500 Coins). TM23 (Iron Tail) is now in Seafoam Islands. TM10 (Hidden Power) is in the Sevault Canyon and is no longer obtainable using the Pickup ability; it's been replaced by Full Restore.
  • Pokémon no longer faint if their health fully depletes from poison on the overworld. This replicates how poisoning is handled in Gen IV. Courtesy of daniilS.
  • Professor Oak no longer tells you how to battle in your first Pokémon fight against your rival.
  • Mt. Moon's 2nd level has been fixed in FireRed. Both versions of the patch also see the floor have a slight adjustment in layout to make more geographical sense.
  • Ported the skipping intro text before Professor Oak behavior to LeafGreen.
  • The title screen now lasts for a full minute before returning to the copyright screen.
  • Made the repel message prompt consistent with the current games.
  • Fixed the Extras patch in general. Previously it contained both the complete patch and higher quality cries. It works as it should again.
  • Code cleanup.
Catch 'em All
  • Implemented Shiny Quagsire's edits to the RTC routine. Prior bugs from it, particularly trading with other players, have been fixed.
  • Edited hold items of wild Pokémon. Refer to the Event Guide to see which Pokémon can hold what trade evolve item in the wild.
  • Super Nerd Miguel now disappears from Mt. Moon after taking one of the fossils.
GB Player
  • The TM/HM obtained and starter obtained jingles now play properly again.

Enjoy this yuletide gift, and I hope everyone has a wonderful and safe holiday break!

The "remake" part of that statement is referring to FireRed and LeafGreen themselves. They are remakes of the 1st Gen games. My hack improves upon them in hopes to provide the best 1st Gen experience possible. Also, different graphics does not necessarily a better game make. The graphics from HG/SS work well enough for those games because of the 3D elements in them. FR/LG do not have 3D elements in their overworlds, and because of that porting the graphics style wouldn't have the same effect. Besides, it's not like those games have better graphics for everything in FR/LG.

Also, I think you're taking the "catchphrase" in the banner a bit too seriously. It was just meant to be a play on the quote from The Dark Knight. I'm not claiming anything concrete from it, just giving an idea of what the hack is about.
What a wonderful christmas present, not only in giving out the new release, but more so in the message given with it. I would like to thank you for this, and wish you a merry christmas.
◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤..

If you're looking for a good time, or just want to chat, come over to Weloxux and I's channel at:
http://mibbit.com/?server=irc.mibbit...%23Dragons_Den

Old 5 Hours Ago (04:59 AM).
YellowTemperance
Git Gud™ Incarnate

Thank you for the wonderful Christmas gift you've provided us. This update really makes the game stellar.

I was wondering if there were any plans to implement other changes, like for example, higher-quality sprites for the Pokemon; I think of Chaos Rush's hard work at the DS-style 64x64 sprites as a viable example. If there's not, I fully understand. But it'd be a shame, at least in my opinion, to have such wonderful sprites not be a part of what I think is one of the definitive Fire Red experiences out there.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links