• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Suggestion: Auto-Save feature

Aryan143

The Fennekin Fan!
Years
Well I think there should be an Auto-Save feature in the forum. If you are making a long thread and are about to click the Submit button, but then something bad like Internet failure or electricity breakdown happens, the whole data would be lost and you would have to write it again. It would take some time, especially if you are not a fast typer.

So if there is an Auto-Save feature which automatically saves the data when making a thread/post in every 30/60 seconds, the time required to write the thread again will be shortened a lot. I mean that someone is making a thread and it auto-saves around the last of the thread and then electricity goes off in his/her home, when he comes back and click make a new thread in the same forum, a button comes up saying "Restore Auto-Saved Content".

I saw this feature on another forum and it was very useful there. So what is your opinion on this guys?

Last edited:

ruby

[span="howdy;partner"][/span]
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
I don't feel it's PC's responsibility to prevent losses in situations where the cause is either user error or a failure on your end in some other way.

In my opinion It'd be going above and beyond the call of duty and a little farther, especially considering the stability of the servers under the already existing workload.

We all have personal notepads in which you can copy and paste any progress on posts you are worried about losing, which I think is help enough already.

As well, In Chrome at least, I can go back and forward though pages and the post I was making will still be there.

edit: that's not to say it wouldn't be cool though

Last edited:

droomph

weeb
Years
Lazarus is a plugin that you should use if you want it to work like that, and I think that most web browsers (at least Safari) gives you limited recovery options by default.

About the Lazarus though…I yeah if it goes into paid don't kill me :\

EDIT: OHOHOH

I remember saving a thread as a "draft", that might be usefulllll…?

tnfsf11

But well Counterfeit made a point, tPC servers might crash more often that way...

Last edited:

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
I don't believe that this feature's available easily below vB4, which we are absolutely not 'upgrading' to (as far as I'm aware anyway).

...however I'm trying out this Lazarus that people are talking about right now and and just get it because oh my god this is awesome @__@

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Honestly guys, all you need is Lazarus. It's saved my metaphorical butt countless times whilst writing out huge posts and I can't recommend it highly enough! Though as far as I'm aware it isn't available on every browser so it could be worth looking into a universal site feature if at all possible, but really just make sure to back up your posts if they're something long enough/important enough to be more than a slight annoyance to re-write.

On this topic however - 'thread drafts' would be a splendid addition if possible! My experience from the site has largely been in clubs so the kind of threads made there usually require to be worked on over a few hours/days to be great, and it'd just be 100% easier if there was a way to save a half-made thread rather than just copy all the code into a notepad file and hope you didn't miss any when you want to take a break. I know it's not the end of the world and it's just a case of mild convenience, but I'm sure it'd be just as helpful in 90% of sections here. I used to just use moderated threads to create drafts in and that was a heck of a lot easier, but for people without that perk I think it'd be a great feature to consider.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
Years
Lazarus is a plugin that you should use if you want it to work like that, and I think that most web browsers (at least Safari) gives you limited recovery options by default.

About the Lazarus though…I yeah if it goes into paid don't kill me :\

EDIT: OHOHOH

I remember saving a thread as a "draft", that might be usefulllll…?

First off, thaaaank you for mentioning this add-on...how have I not heard of it until now?! OMG and it's free?

The original poster's idea is good, but this Lazarus add-on/plug-in (clever name!) sounds very intriguing! Usually, now that I know better (sigh...), I tend to type out really long posts (aka pretty much everything I type on here) in an auto-saving e-mail draft or something (constantly keying in Ctrl+S like there's no tomorrow @_@). The proposed feature would work wonders, I'm sure, although the website seems to have enough of a workload as it is... :< Lazarus, from what I'm seeing, would seem to cover numerous bases regarding auto-recovery, as its benefits would extend beyond the PokeCommunity website.

However, the aforementioned forum-implemented feature would work well for computers where users aren't at liberty to install plug-ins like Lazarus on browsers (such as in computer labs, etc.) or for those who aren't using browsers like Mozilla FireFox or Google Chrome which have Lazarus available (such as people using Internet Explorer...don't know why you would even bother with Internet Explorer if you have the choice of browser installation, but to each his own). Still, I think the proposal is generally supplanted by Lazarus; we just need to make that feature more known on this website, for those that can install it...

But really, if you're typing out something online that is dedicatedly long or that you're paranoid about losing, I would imagine that it is either written with Lazarus installed or preferably composed in something with good Auto-Recovery features (either something like the newer versions of Microsoft Word or a periodically-auto-saving e-mail client like Yahoo! or Gmail).

LOL; composed this post in the span of 5-10 minutes within the PokeCommunity post editor itself, thank goodness. -.-

Back