• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Retail Workers Union

CarefulWetPaint

Doctor Lobotomy
Years
I never get called gorgeous :'( You guys are so lucky! I only have old people hitting on me its awkward as hell!

Why are you two the gorgeous ones! Wait, maybe for Andy its because its a liquor store and the girls are already frisky! Or boys in his case ;)

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
Years
And Impo, I think the cutest part of your story was when she called you gorgeous :P. I get that sometimes and I'm just like "d'awwww you are so sweet to notice".

I never get called gorgeous :'( You guys are so lucky! I only have old people hitting on me its awkward as hell!

DID YOU NOT SEE SHE WAS A STALKER WHAT IF SHE COMES TO MY HOUSE AND TRIES TO TALK TO ME I DON'T WANT TO BE NICE I DON'T GET PAID TO TALK TO HER IN MY OWN TIME

ASDFGHJKL AHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
LOL she's not going to find out your address unless you give it to her; just lap up the compliments while you can get them! One day you will be old and your boyish good looks will be gone!

I do love it when the ladies flirt with me at work though. Obviously I'm not interested but it gives me a huge confidence boost :P

The nicknames I've been called at work are: gorgeous, tiger, champ, boss, chief, and on one particularly odd occasion, "sweet boy". Then there was that time I was called a 'saint' twice in the same shift by two completely separate customers. That was the biggest ego-boost I've ever had lmao.

Sector

Banned
Years
  • Age 33
  • Ohio
  • Seen Oct 10, 2016
Alright so recently, my mom tried to get me into a job where she works at. In Meijer. No different than what Walmart treated me, after I spent 10 minutes in an interview with the hire-director (Or whatever you call them these days lol). It was July 14th. She said I would get a call back from another person (Suppose to do 3 interviews before deciding a person is hired) on the 26th of July. My mom said when she went to work, there was an orientation for the new employees on like the 27th. That's when we realized that I just got screwed from being told wither or not I was the person for the job or not. Aren't they suppose to call you up & let you know what's going on rather than just leave you hanging in the dust like that? No wonder the unemployment rate is sky high in this era.

Oh yeah, it was a "phone interview" I had with the woman. I've never had or heard of an interview done over the phone. Strange to me. I rather prefer going to the actual interview, being all dressed up & all.

You owe me one Andy

Years
Alright so recently, my mom tried to get me into a job where she works at. In Meijer. No different than what Walmart treated me, after I spent 10 minutes in an interview with the hire-director (Or whatever you call them these days lol). It was July 14th. She said I would get a call back from another person (Suppose to do 3 interviews before deciding a person is hired) on the 26th of July. My mom said when she went to work, there was an orientation for the new employees on like the 27th. That's when we realized that I just got screwed from being told wither or not I was the person for the job or not. Aren't they suppose to call you up & let you know what's going on rather than just leave you hanging in the dust like that? No wonder the unemployment rate is sky high in this era.

Oh yeah, it was a "phone interview" I had with the woman. I've never had or heard of an interview done over the phone. Strange to me. I rather prefer going to the actual interview, being all dressed up & all.

You owe me one Andy

Well the thing is that there are probably loads and loads of people who apply for the same jobs so a lot of the time the employer just doesn't have the time / just cannot be bothered to get back to unsuccessful applicants. Some of the better employers would probably send a quick generic E-mail out though.

Yeah the concept of a phone interview was alien to me too at first but loads of companies do them nowadays and I've been to my fair share of them during my period of job seeking. The basic structure of employment procedures nowadays is as follows.

1) Resume screening.

An employer will get a whole bunch of applications and they have to do an initial sorting to choose candidates to follow up on. This is done by screening all of the applications against each other and comparing which ones stand out the most, usually by screening for key competencies the role requires and such.

2) Telephone interview / Online testing

I have found that companies usually do one or the other, but some do both. Employers use telephone interviews because it is cheaper and easier for them to do so. They are usually quicker too. It can cost a fair bit of money for an employer to undertake a formal interview with applicants especially if there are a lot of potential candidates to choose between, so a telephone interview is a preliminary interview used as a secondary sorting to gather candidates that the employer would like to interview face to face. You should use the fact that it is a telephone interview to your advantage though. Unlike a face to face interview, you can have notes to hand to utilize during the telephone interview and you also have the advantage of choosing where to take the interview too - preferably in a nice quiet room.

Some employers utilize something called Psychometric Testing which is in a nutshell used to measure the potential of candidates. These tests come in different forms but the main two are Numerical Reasoning tests and Verbal Reasoning tests. A third common test is known as a Logical Reasoning test. If an employer asks you to take one of these, be sure to familiarize yourself with what you are up against - there is plenty of material on the internet to so researching is easy.

3) Interview / Assessment Centre.

Congratulations if you are invited to a final stage interview or an assessment centre. In both cases, you will be given a briefing of the structure that will take place for the final selection process. Be sure to study this carefully and ensure you fully understand what to expect on the day. A face to face interview is pretty similar to a telephone interview though you should be weary that if you did do a telephone interview prior to a final stage interview, then you should expect the employer to go into more details on areas that you may have had difficulty in answering in the telephone interview. Usually when I've completed a telephone interview, I have an idea of which questions I struggled more on, so make sure you get those tougher questions ironed out for the final interview. Another thing to note is that a final stage interview is not always one on one. I've been to my fair share of interviews where I've had two people alternating questions to me. Usually one person is a manager of some nature and the other is a technical person. If you do get multiple people interviewing you, be sure you give each person a good amount of attention.

Assessment centres are where an employer invites a certain number of candidates to assess them all simultaneously throughout the day. There is usually a combination of group activities as well as individual assessments. The former tests how well you can work together with other people in a dynamic environment and the latter is usually an interview but they like asking candidates to do an individual presentation as well. You will be told in advance if you have to prepare for one of these, it's usually not a spontaneous task. The company will also give out a couple of presentations to tell you more about who they are and what they do and so on. It's very important to be active and engaging during these assessment centres and be sure to ask questions throughout the day as this shows the employer that you are interested.

I might expand on this and make a blog entry actually.

Shining Raichu

Years
I find that really, really dumb. Long and complicated processes like this for something as trivial and menial as a retail job are probably one of the reasons nepotism exists. Nepotism is just way faster and more convenient. It's much easier to say "hey, you know anybody looking for work?" than to go through this laborious process just to find a 'best applicant' that will probably be equally as competent as the worst applicant anyway.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
I was redirected here :o

I work at a candy store in a mall, double whammy.

Shining Raichu

Years
Hey there, welcome to our little group!

We have a candy store in my mall, it's one of those international ones where they bring in all the stuff from America and England and overcharge massively for it :P. You got any stories for us?

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
For the sake of laziness, I'll c/p from the thread I made that redirected me here :p

So, I work in a bulk candy store. The one with the bins where you get a bag and fill up with whatever candy you want. I get one customer, I'd guess she was early 20s (with the attitude of a 12 year old) with her little sister. They had a $5 budget, and of course they fill their bag up with like $11 worth of candy.

I tell her, "That's fine, we'll sort this candy out later and you can fill a new bag; we've got scales at the register for you to check the weight and price."

So, she's all "Oh I don't want that. Take out a little bit of each candy."

She has five different kinds of (very similar looking) candy, and the line's building up. "Ma'am, you can just start a new bag."

She tells me again (more like she commands me) that she wants that bag and tells me to take a little bit of each candy out. After she promptly reaches inside the second bag with her bare hands to pull out a candy necklace (which I had to throw away).

So I get the gloves and start returning the candy (half of it was sour, so now the non-sour candy has the little sour powder crystals on it) and get back to the register, and it's $8 now. She screams at her little sister to get money from their dad who's in a different store, so I have to stand there with this hugely inconsiderate wench while my manager at the register next to me is flying through the customers trying to get the line down.

Long story short, I hate people who don't treat retail workers like people and expect us to be their slaves just because we're getting paid.

Razer302

Three Days Grace - Break
Years
I hate customers like that. I get ones come in all the time like it. Come to the till and forget stuff then think they can go get it... Yeh sure back of the que you go.

And foriegn customers damn... drive me mad think thy can just walk to the front... get to the back or get out...

ATM my shop is terrible. We only have 1 manager and 1 supervisor... everyone else is off sick or AWOL. and the staff have gone awol to so... my shop is soooo bad I' on 7 days a week and its stressing me out.

Shining Raichu

Years
Oh god that sounds awful. I remember having to work 10 days in a row once, that was terrible enough - I can't imagine having to work 7 days a week on a more permanent basis.

And @AzaleaLightning, I've had customers like that before. They make your blood boil but you have to just smile through it. The thing I love about this club is getting angry on behalf of everybody else haha.

So last night I had my first rude customer for a while. I served him and somehow I managed to charge him for three sixpacks and he only bought one (don't ask me how, I honestly couldn't tell you). So he came back in for a refund and I put it through and gave him his money back and he decided after I'd given him the money that I wasn't apologetic enough and stood there lecturing me about manners. He was talking down to me and being very rude so when he demanded an apology I just looked at him and said "...right." and then moved onto the next customer.

He started to walk out of the store in a huff when my sister (who was at the register next to me) said to him "There's no need to be nasty". So then he turned on his heel and started on her about how I was rude so I just turned to him and said "IT WAS A MISTAKE!" probably a little louder than I should have. Then he left.

The customer I served after him said he needed to take a chill pill, which made me feel better haha. I probably should have apologised, but when he started talking to me that way I just couldn't bring myself to do it.

Razer302

Three Days Grace - Break
Years
At my store we actually can't work with our own family members...

Well I got promoted at my place to team leader... It feels weird to be in charge and locking up the shop on a night. my first official on witll be next tuesday and I'm working with 2 women that talk a lot... going to be a huge effort to get that completed without an argument haha.

CarefulWetPaint

Doctor Lobotomy
Years
I dont think anything beats the old person that comes into your shop as youre about to close and does nothing but talk nonsense for half an hour which cause you to close 30 late and it throws out your whole after work schedule! They make me wanna hit my head against the wall nearly as badly as the idiot telemarketers who call up not realising its a business. GOD DAMN IT! ITS A PLACE OF BUSINESS NOT A PLACE FOR YOU TO BE CALLING! RAWR!
/end rant.

So congratulations on getting a promotion Razer! Pay rise?

Razer302

Three Days Grace - Break
Years
Theres this old mental guy that comes in late and always buys 7 of everything... facing up literally goes out the window with this guy. He drives us all mad.

Not much of a pay rise, but I got what I wanted and am now going to use it to get a new job else where that will give me much more money for the same thing I do now.

I basically run the whole shop at night now. I lock up, handle cash everything. Waiting till they pay for my alcohol license then I plan to jump ship elsewhere.

EvilSkittles

Lord of the kitchen
Years
'Ello, I'm joining up.

I work at a Salad Creations that just opened in June. I have so many stories to tell since we are just now getting our bearings but I have a particular one from tonight. I wasn't suppose to actually work tonight but I got called in since of the other people couldn't make it. I serving up front and this lady orders a Chipotle BBQ salad, halfway through making the salad she says she didn't order that so I have to throw it away and make a new one. Irritating but not too terrible but right after I make her another salad she orders the Chipotle to go. I wanted to wring her neck and my manager just laughed at me.

Shining Raichu

Years
Haha welcome EvilSkittles (love your username btw :P)

I've found that a lot in my line of work. That's the one thing I do love about my job - whenever there's a *****y customer and I deal with it badly (like in my post a few posts up :P) the manager never reprimands me, she always just laughs with me at how much of a ***** the customer was.

The funniest thing is when they make a huge scene and then threaten not to shop at your store anymore. What they don't understand is that the staff don't give a crap lol - they'd rather not have to deal with you anyway.

LividZephyr

Oxymoron, not a moron, thanks
Years
I don't work in Retail and thus can't join this union, but you all have my utmost sympathies. I read a comic strip called "Retail" which has exposed me to the harsh realities of humanity (even if some of it is exaggerated, it's mostly grounded in reality). It's available online - I suggest you guys check it out :)

By the way, I've attached a couple of samples for you guys (credit Norm Feuti) :)

Last edited:

CarefulWetPaint

Doctor Lobotomy
Years
Ive never had people have big issues with me, sometimes they give me super dirty looks if I ask to look in their bags after they go into the change rooms without asking or showing me what they take into it. Seriously! Its policy and the sign on the change room says ask before you go in and leave you bags outside! THESE PEOPLE MAKE ME WANT TO RAGE. I really dislike them so much. They are about as bad as people who just come into the shop look around for 45 minutes then leave without buying anything. :'(

Shining Raichu

Years
OMG guys, I forgot to tell you!

Two weeks ago, my store had its very first armed hold-up! I wasn't there, it was my sister working with another guy, but they came in just before closed and pushed the guy around at the counter, telling him to open the safe and taking all the money from the safe and the registers. All in all, he got about $1800.

My sister was pretty shaken up, as was the other guy. The jackass never produced a weapon, but the surveillance camera showed that he had a knife on him. We were the seventh in a spree of seven liquor stores he had robbed in the past few weeks.

Fortunately, the next night they got the guy and he's now back in prison where he belongs. Apparently, so the story goes, he has been in prison since he was 18 years old and he had recently gotten out on parole after 24 years in the slammer. So our theory was that prison life is all he knew and he was looking for a way back in, so started holding up liquor stores to get back there.

It was pretty freaky though. The next day the whole team had to have a counselling session, and we now have an open-to-close security guard and extra flood-lighting to keep the baddies away B]

Razer302

Three Days Grace - Break
Years
I wish my shop would do that after having stuff like this happen. All we get is a guard from 3-11pm for 2 weeks then hes gone again, and they all look so useless, only ever had one good one that I would really say is worth it.

I got promoted finally though. So I now run the night shift however I want to do it.

Back