• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Dec 6, 2023
I know it might be a dumb question, but here it goes?

I can't find the script that controls the starting animation in Emerald. I've tried some "truck remover" patches, but although it removed the earhquake, I've got the map messed up (because of what's probably a setmaptile in the opening script that wasn't properly removed by the patch)

So, anyone could give a help on this?

Years
  • Seen Jun 19, 2012
Actually I'd recommend using HackMew's A-Trainer as an alternative to PET and XSE as an alternative to PKSV, simply because if you encounter problems more people would be able to help as they are used by more hackers.
Ok cool do you know how i can find them? It took me ages to find PET and PKSV but they were the only tools i could find

Years
  • Seen Feb 10, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudedude1
Hey I got some questions.
1. How can you add more than just 25 fakemon (Between Treecko and Celebi) without replacing any others? (Add more Pokemon slots)

2. How do you make it that you can find a Pokemon in a poke ball like in Pokemon Light Platinum (Elekid)?

3. How to add a working PC (Computer) to any area in the game?

4. Is it possible to add the Field Move Dive to a Pokemon Fire Red and have it allow you to go underwater like emerald?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destiny Demon
1. I don't think you can... but I might be wrong.

2. Add a person event that is a Pokeball and make a givepokemon script to it.

3. Did you try copying/pasting the offset for the PC? I never tried that but I think it should work.

4. Try looking here and other threads in that forum. It may be helpful.
1. You need to do some hex editing I believe.

3. Yeah just find the script on a PC in AdvanceMap and copy it's offset. Then make your PC, add a green script tile (or a "normal" script tile) over the PC and write in the offset that you copied from the other PC.

Does anybody know how to hex edit in more pokemon slots? Thanks

ruup20

Gonna splash everybody!
Years
If I make a change to my rom in AM and I save, the changes won't show up in-game. How do I fix this and is it my rom or AM?

Years
  • Seen Oct 9, 2019
If I make a change to my rom in AM and I save, the changes won't show up in-game. How do I fix this and is it my rom or AM?
What ROM, what change, and what map? Some maps have level scripts that change their footers, which would "undo" your changes at run-time (sort-of -- it's tricky to explain).

Years
  • Seen Aug 7, 2016
Trainer Sprites

Hi!
I have a few questions dealing with Trainer Sprites.
I've already searched through the tutorials section, as well as looked through this thread and done Google searches, but to my surprise, I haven't found answers.

1. I want to insert additional trainer sprites (not overworlds) into FireRed to be used in Trainer battles.
Is this possible?

I already know how to replace trainer sprites (i.e. replace Brock with a custom sprite), but I am lost as to what to do after inserting them (if it is even possible).

2. If the above is possible:
Specifically, when using A-Trainer, how would I allow my custom trainer sprite to be used?
There is dropbox that allows me to scroll through images, but how would I access my own sprite (because I wouldn't be replacing existing sprites)?

If someone can please point me towards the right direction/shoot me down, I would be truly thankful.

Thank you!

Years
  • Seen Oct 9, 2019
I change route 3 and if I play the game (fire red) it's just as it was before I changed it.
What specifically are you changing? Are you modifying the terrain, or are you just changing what script a Person event or something uses?

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years

The terrain and scripts. I've also tried to remove the scripts but no succes...

I change route 3 and if I play the game (fire red) it's just as it was before I changed it.

When changing a map, after you reload the ROM, you need to "refresh" the map, i.e. go into another map and then come out again. It should work then.

Last edited:

Sawakita

Not Invented Here
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Nov 17, 2019
I don't know asm scripting, but I hope to modify some existing effects of moves. I have attempted to look for the location of the code but failed.

Let's say how I intended to find out the code of Pay Day's effect. As the effect of Pay Day is related to the user's level (the amount of money gained = user's level x 2 x number of uses), I guessed the script should include the location of the user's level.
Code of Pay Day's effect is located "mainly" starting at 0B:7EB8. I say "mainly" because the whole attacks' engine is pretty articulated from what I've seen (although I've check it very rapidly, because of the lack of time).

Another address in ROM that might help is $3F150 = table of pointers to code of effects (so first pointer points to effect 00, and so on). Note that, as far as I can tell, only a part of the move effect is calculated by these routine. Figuring out the whole thing would require some time, if I got it correctly.
Also, I almost forgot to say that, when an attack is selected, all its data structure (6 bytes) is loaded in WRAM:CFD2-CFD7.

These are just some incomplete info; better than nothing, though. Best thing is, as IIMarckus said, using BGB to debug/disassemble that messy code.

You've been misinformed. Simple hex editing can't add functional extra Pokemon slots. Several parts of the game engine would require code modifications to support new slots.
To be perfectly correct, you can theorically accomplish any task (including re-writing the game's engine) just by using a hex editor. It would be extremely inefficient, though.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jun 19, 2012
I have made a new map in Ruby and put in 10 trainers 9 of the sprites are the same (black belt) i have given them diffrent scripts and then using P.E.T. and now also with A-trainer i have tried to get each trainer to have the right amount and right pokemon and right name but for some reason they all have a diffrent script but have the same name and pokemon how do i make sure the trainer i am editing is the right one there are a bunch of trainers with no name in both trainer editors but editing them is having no effect please help me. what am i doing wrong?

Last edited:

fengshen

fengshen113
Years
  • Seen Jan 6, 2012
Code of Pay Day's effect is located "mainly" starting at 0B:7EB8. I say "mainly" because the whole attacks' engine is pretty articulated from what I've seen (although I've check it very rapidly, because of the lack of time).

Another address in ROM that might help is $3F150 = table of pointers to code of effects (so first pointer points to effect 00, and so on). Note that, as far as I can tell, only a part of the move effect is calculated by these routine. Figuring out the whole thing would require some time, if I got it correctly.
Also, I almost forgot to say that, when an attack is selected, all its data structure (6 bytes) is loaded in WRAM:CFD2-CFD7.

These are just some incomplete info; better than nothing, though. Best thing is, as IIMarckus said, using BGB to debug/disassemble that messy code.
Thanks for your great help~

I found something interesting as well. In generation 1, the effect of poison status is losing 1/16 of maximum HP each turn. I hope to change it into losing 1/8 each turn.

By doing some testing, I found the address [$3c485] and [$3c48e] in the Red ROM must related to the amount of HP loss in poison status (and also Leech Seed]. Say, if I change the value from 91 to 93 at [$3c485] (or from 98 to 99 at [$3c48e]) and poisoned a pokemon, it will lose all of its HP at once.

Unfortunately, I can not control the amount of HP loss this way. I have tried to substitute different values into the two addresses and the outcomes are either losing 1/16 of maximum HP every turn or losing all of HP at once (or game crashes).

It seems that the task of editing an existing move effect is far more complicated than just modifying a value x.x

CharmanderFan123

Death is only an illusion.
Years
  • Seen Nov 1, 2011
Hey I need help on my Fakemon.

I can't enter new moves or anything on the Pokedex page for them(I'm using YAPE).

Any Help?

Years
  • Seen Feb 10, 2012
I got some more questions

1. How can you edit the ??? types strengths and weaknesses (Type Strenght/weakness editors won't allow it)?

2. How can you add new attacks without deleting old ones?

3. How can yo insert completely new attacks and new attack graphics?

Sawakita

Not Invented Here
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Nov 17, 2019
Thanks for your great help~

I found something interesting as well. In generation 1, the effect of poison status is losing 1/16 of maximum HP each turn. I hope to change it into losing 1/8 each turn.

By doing some testing, I found the address [$3c485] and [$3c48e] in the Red ROM must related to the amount of HP loss in poison status (and also Leech Seed]. Say, if I change the value from 91 to 93 at [$3c485] (or from 98 to 99 at [$3c48e]) and poisoned a pokemon, it will lose all of its HP at once.

Unfortunately, I can not control the amount of HP loss this way. I have tried to substitute different values into the two addresses and the outcomes are either losing 1/16 of maximum HP every turn or losing all of HP at once (or game crashes).

It seems that the task of editing an existing move effect is far more complicated than just modifying a value x.x
Of course just modifying a value isn't enough. Also, editing random values like that, is not exactly a good way of hacking the engine. To change the effects of moves you require some sort of ASM knowledge. You might want to study something (there are plenty of manuals and guides, around the web; "the 1st gen hacking useful links" thread has some links that could help you).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back