• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Moveset Help & Other Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Sep 25, 2013
Glaceon Sets

I've been trying to use a Glaceon online and I just have a hard time competing with it.. I need some ideas because I want to use it in OU, but I just don't know how to.

Anyway here's a set I made that was very effective against Latios, Latias, and Garchomp.

Ice Body
Modest
252 SPA
252 Speed
4 SPD
Choice Scarft

Ice Beam
Shadow Ball
HP Fighting
Wish

I'm willing to make a new team just for it, but I don't want to use any legendaries or Ubers.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I've been trying to use a Glaceon online and I just have a hard time competing with it.. I need some ideas because I want to use it in OU, but I just don't know how to.

Anyway here's a set I made that was very effective against Latios, Latias, and Garchomp.

Ice Body
Modest
252 SPA
252 Speed
4 SPD
Choice Scarft

Ice Beam
Shadow Ball
HP Fighting
Wish

I'm willing to make a new team just for it, but I don't want to use any legendaries or Ubers.
Your best bet for using Glaceon in OU is on a Hail team to give its Blizzard 100% accuracy, . Tbh, Glaceon, along with other pure Ice Pokemon, are terrible in OU due to their common weaknesses. But if you really want to use Glaceon in OU, change the nature to Timid; with Modest, Choice Scarf Glaceon is still outsped by non-Choice Scarf Pokemon with 108 Speed or higher, like Infernape and Starmie.

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
Years

Ice Body
Modest
252 SPA
252 Speed
4 SPD
Choice Scarft

Ice Beam
Shadow Ball
HP Fighting
Wish

HP Ground > HP Fighting, and use a timid nature. And I guess the fact that you don't want to use legends is the reason you don't use Kyurem over Glaceon, because there really is no reason to use the ice fox over the dragon.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Sep 29, 2013
Substitute Counter?

I was battling a guy the other day who had a two Pokemon who both had Poison Heal, they were holding Toxic Orbs, so they could heal their health up. They also had substitute, and they would use Protect, so they would gain health after using substitute. I lost hopelessly, and couldn't find a counter against it, is there any sort of counter for that? Or would I just be boned?

Last edited:

Opposite Day

too old for name changes
Years
I was battling a guy the other day who had a two Pokemon who both had Poison Heal, they were holding Toxic Orbs, so they could heal their health up. They also had substitute, and they would use Protect, so they would gain health after using substitute. I lost hopelessly, and couldn't find a counter against it, is there any sort of counter for that? Or would I just be boned?

Derk already mentioned phasing, aka forcing them to switch by using Whirlwind or Roar + Taunting, but there are a couple of other options as well, including, but not limited to;
1) using multi-hit moves to break their subs and deal more damage to them (like Bullet Seed, Icicle Spear, Dual Chop etc)
2) using moves that make do damage and switch out, thus allowing you to break the substitute and get a faster attacker in (U-Turn and Volt Switch (not that useful against PH Gliscor but should be ok vs Breloom)
3) using a normal move to break their substitute, then do damage the following turn with an increased priority move (Ice Punch + Ice Shard, for instance)
4) predicting their protects and set up on it to make you have an advantage the following turn (say, using Agility Metagross w/ Ice Punch vs PH Gliscor, you've broken the sub, and the turn Gliscor protects to get back 12,5%, you Agility, making you faster and able to KO it the next turn) Pretty situational though.

... not to mention;
5) using moves that give them a different status condition before they get poisoned (although that is pretty difficult to do considering how they'd practically have to switch into the status move)

and if everything else fails:

6) flinch them to death with Jirachi

Taunt and Roar/WW are really good ways to deal with it too though.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Derk already mentioned phasing, aka forcing them to switch by using Whirlwind or Roar + Taunting, but there are a couple of other options as well, including, but not limited to;
1) using multi-hit moves to break their subs and deal more damage to them (like Bullet Seed, Icicle Spear, Dual Chop etc)
2) using moves that make do damage and switch out, thus allowing you to break the substitute and get a faster attacker in (U-Turn and Volt Switch (not that useful against PH Gliscor but should be ok vs Breloom)
3) using a normal move to break their substitute, then do damage the following turn with an increased priority move (Ice Punch + Ice Shard, for instance)
4) predicting their protects and set up on it to make you have an advantage the following turn (say, using Agility Metagross w/ Ice Punch vs PH Gliscor, you've broken the sub, and the turn Gliscor protects to get back 12,5%, you Agility, making you faster and able to KO it the next turn) Pretty situational though.

... not to mention;
5) using moves that give them a different status condition before they get poisoned (although that is pretty difficult to do considering how they'd practically have to switch into the status move)

and if everything else fails:

6) flinch them to death with Jirachi

Taunt and Roar/WW are really good ways to deal with it too though.

To add, Perish Song can bypass Substitutes, giving the Substitute opponent a 3-turn timer: either they stay in and be KOed or switch out.

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
Years

1. Multi-hit moves
2. Taunt
3. Weavile with Ice Punch, as it is a guaranteed OHKO. Ice Shard can also help if you have a Choice Band.
4. Roar / Whirlwind
5. Magic Guard, as it makes you immune to Toxic.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Sep 6, 2013
Gliscor Moveset?

I just evolved a Gligar in White 2. Assuming I have plenty of Heart Scales, and taking into account the defensive stats and typing of Gliscor, and that I want to make use of its Sand Veil ability (boosts evasiveness in a sandstorm) what moveset should it have?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Just saying, Sand Veil is banned in OU. Gliscor is most commonly seen using Poison Heal to benefit from Poison (Immunity Gligar can be obtained from the Route 23 Hidden Grotto, but it's hard to find) But if you want to make the most of it in Sandstorm, try this:
-Swords Dance
-Earthquake
-Acrobatics
-Substitute/Rock Polish
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
Item: Flying Gem
Ability: Hyper Cutter/Sand Veil

ShiningLust

Gym Leader of Ground Oden
Years
Gliscor Moveset?

well ya that's all good cuz I run one of those in my Ground/Rock team
the move set I use is a

Ice Fang
Sub
Protect
Earthquake
Ability: Poison Heal
Item: Toxic Orb

cbd98

A bouquet of oopsie dasies
Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2021
I just evolved a Gligar in White 2. Assuming I have plenty of Heart Scales, and taking into account the defensive stats and typing of Gliscor, and that I want to make use of its Sand Veil ability (boosts evasiveness in a sandstorm) what moveset should it have?

Just saying, Sand Veil is banned in OU. Gliscor is most commonly seen using Poison Heal to benefit from Poison (Immunity Gligar can be obtained from the Route 23 Hidden Grotto, but it's hard to find) But if you want to make the most of it in Sandstorm, try this:
-Swords Dance
-Earthquake
-Acrobatics
-Substitute/Rock Polish
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
Item: Flying Gem
Ability: Hyper Cutter/Sand Veil

If it's being used in-game and not on a Smogon server, shouldn't it be fine to use Sand Veil?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
If it's being used in-game and not on a Smogon server, shouldn't it be fine to use Sand Veil?

Yup. There's nothing wrong with using Sand Veil in Wi-Fi, but I still think Hyper Cutter is the preferred ability to prevent Attack loss to Intimidate.

Last edited:

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
Years

If you're using this in-game, try Swords Dance, Acrobatics, Earthquake and Substitute, and give it a Flying Gem.

Years
  • Seen Dec 14, 2016
Simple question: How do I cover a Pokemon's stat weakness?

Example: Gardevoir has low speed, so I need to make it a defensive build. But it has too low defense to be a defensive build. Low defense and speed makes this Pokemon easy to KO by an experienced opponent.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

PS: Gardevoir is only an example, I don't need a build for Gardevoir specifically since that won't help me with other Pokemon with a similar weak point.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Simple question: How do I cover a Pokemon's stat weakness?

Example: Gardevoir has low speed, so I need to make it a defensive build. But it has too low defense to be a defensive build. Low defense and speed makes this Pokemon easy to KO by an experienced opponent.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

PS: Gardevoir is only an example, I don't need a build for Gardevoir specifically since that won't help me with other Pokemon with a similar weak point.

Gardevoir is capable of learning Will-o-Wisp to compensate for its low Defense. 80 Speed is actually very good for a wall and you seem to have forgotten that Gardevoir also has 115 Special Defense:
-Psychic
-Will-o-Wisp
-Wish/Pain Split
-Protect/Heal Bell
Nature: Calm
EVs: 252 HP/4 Def/252 SDef
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Trace

Years
  • Seen Dec 14, 2016
Gardevoir is capable of learning Will-o-Wisp to compensate for its low Defense. 80 Speed is actually very good for a wall and you seem to have forgotten that Gardevoir also has 115 Special Defense:
-Psychic
-Will-o-Wisp
-Wish/Pain Split
-Protect/Heal Bell
Nature: Calm
EVs: 252 HP/4 Def/252 SDef
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Trace

1. This build only applies to Gardevoir. This doesn't help the other 300+ pokemon that has similar problem.

2. 80 speed is good, but compared to other speed built sweepers, they can KO Gardevoir before it can get Will-O-Wisp off. I should know, I laugh at Gardevoir with my Uber speed trained Weavile. Without defence, Gardevoir is a sitting duck for sweepers.

3. I already took 115 special defense into account. But any experienced player would not attack Gardevoir with a special move. Physical Bug/Dark/Ghost move can wipe a Gardevoir easily. Not to mention that it only has 68 HP rate, so Gardevoir can't take hits like Blissey, Metagross, or even Lapras.

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
There's nothing you can do to compensate with "stat weakness" per se. There's a reason you're making a team (unless you're doing 1v1). Let your Pokemon cover each other's weaknesses - i.e. Gardevoir's low Defense stat can be covered by another Pokemon like Skarmory or any other defensively inclined Pokemon.

You want to build a set that underlines a Pokemon's strongest point. When you have a team where each Pokemon covers each other's weak point, then you have a pretty solid team right there. It's about team work, after all.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
1. This build only applies to Gardevoir. This doesn't help the other 300+ pokemon that has similar problem.

2. 80 speed is good, but compared to other speed built sweepers, they can KO Gardevoir before it can get Will-O-Wisp off. I should know, I laugh at Gardevoir with my Uber speed trained Weavile. Without defence, Gardevoir is a sitting duck for sweepers.

3. I already took 115 special defense into account. But any experienced player would not attack Gardevoir with a special move. Physical Bug/Dark/Ghost move can wipe a Gardevoir easily. Not to mention that it only has 68 HP rate, so Gardevoir can't take hits like Blissey, Metagross, or even Lapras.

There's nothing you can do to compensate with "stat weakness" per se. There's a reason you're making a team (unless you're doing 1v1). Let your Pokemon cover each other's weaknesses - i.e. Gardevoir's low Defense stat can be covered by another Pokemon like Skarmory or any other defensively inclined Pokemon.

You want to build a set that underlines a Pokemon's strongest point. When you have a team where each Pokemon covers each other's weak point, then you have a pretty solid team right there. It's about team work, after all.

To add, to what Zeffy said and to give you another example, Scizor uses Bullet Punch to not only ignore its low Speed, but to also pave the way for other Pokemon who appreciate the elimination of Pokemon like Lati@s, Reuniclus and Alakazam.

Pokemon that work particularly well with this Gardevoir include bulky Fighting Pokemon like Hariyama and Poliwrath; they can easily deal with Pursuit users like Absol. Like Zeffy said, physically defensive Pokemon work with Gardevoir as well. If you see a physically offensive Pokemon, now's a good time to get Gardevoir out of the battle, unless the opponent is carrying Pursuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back