Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old December 30th, 2014 (09:04 PM).
The ???
The one true question mark

Nature: Impish
Quote originally posted by FaeBladez:
Okay so I havent mapped in AGES and recently started again so if anyone has improvements about layout and palette please let me know. I know theres alot of tiles errors but frankly looking at green foliage for half an hour gets confusing so ignore the tile errors and comment on the other aspects please

I really feel the walking path is QUITE awkward. It should be straight up and should curve/turn ONLY where its necessary.
Keep it up, rest looks pretty cool
Another house on the left side of the pond/lake would be cool though

Face the sunshine and you'll never see the shadow.
Stay Positive
Old December 30th, 2014 (09:14 PM).
Dark Sneasel
I like being a drone.
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Quote originally posted by The '???':
I really feel the walking path is QUITE awkward. It should be straight up and should curve/turn ONLY where its necessary.
Keep it up, rest looks pretty cool
Another house on the left side of the pond/lake would be cool though
Uh, says who?
I disagree, I honestly don't like it when it's like that tbh.

Anyways, FaeBladez, that's a really good map, I like the pallets, your tile choice, etc. I feel as if the back of the fenced house could be more decorated though, as it just seems really empty. There isn't much more I can say, except to maybe put the sign near that house under a fenced thing, because someone can just hop it over, lol.. not the best security XD
I also think you should perhaps use another tree as well as the one you got there for more diversity.. overall, a good map.

OFF-TOPIC SUGGESTION FOR THE MAP

When the player gets near the messed up house, the screen could use the cloudy effect to give it a "spooky vibe" or something like that..

anyways, my map:
Pokemon Fluorite, EM, yatta yatta..
The game kept being a bitch and my reflection would show in the grass sometimes, I had to edit dafuq outta the map..

Spoiler:

Join Poketch.com, a new ROM hacking community! Click on the image for more!
Old December 31st, 2014 (11:01 AM).
FaeBladez

Quote originally posted by Dark Sneasel:
anyways, my map:
Pokemon Fluorite, EM, yatta yatta..
The game kept being a bitch and my reflection would show in the grass sometimes, I had to edit dafuq outta the map..

Spoiler:

I like the use of original RSE tiles. Does the player go from left to right or right to left? Cause if the player goes from left to right theres a problem... imagine walking up a set of stairs only to be greeted by a body of water. You shouldnt really make the player use surf directly upon entrance to a route especially if they'll only surf for 0.4th of a second. Other than the technical aspect, the map itself looks nicely decorated, would help if you space out the ambience ( have the mushrooms and flowers diagonal from each other instead of horizontal or vertical)

7.5/10

Now, I havent added much indoor tiles to this yet cause im still working on the layout and the palette and imo the floor palettes a bit bright, but meh. So yea, ignore the fact that there are kitchen sinks in the washrooms and the poor shading
Old December 31st, 2014 (02:05 PM). Edited December 31st, 2014 by Bill Cipher.
Bill Cipher
Call me Fuxydia~!

Quote originally posted by FaeBladez:
6/10

It's a little empty, the "main" room, and the corridors, you should add tables, end tables, tv's, pictures, bookshelves, boxes, or plants.
Or, some other assortments of decor.

My first dungeon to Earth Version.
Aleph Forest.
The bridge is blocked off during the first venture through. I know about the top right errors.
They're unseeable in game.

いいえエンディングまで泣くん...
Old January 1st, 2015 (05:20 AM).
The ???
The one true question mark

Nature: Impish
I really like that forest.. 8/10
keep the encounter rate low tho, it might get frustrating!

keep it up!

Face the sunshine and you'll never see the shadow.
Stay Positive
Old January 1st, 2015 (09:06 AM).
Bill Cipher
Call me Fuxydia~!

Another map from Earth.
Portsmith City, home to the third gym.

いいえエンディングまで泣くん...
Old January 1st, 2015 (09:16 AM). Edited January 1st, 2015 by Dionen.
Dionen
Sexy Trainer

Nature: Quirky
Quote originally posted by .//HackZoroark//.:
6/10

It's a little empty, the "main" room, and the corridors, you should add tables, end tables, tv's, pictures, bookshelves, boxes, or plants.
Or, some other assortments of decor.
Spoiler:

My first dungeon to Earth Version.
Aleph Forest.
The bridge is blocked off during the first venture through. I know about the top right errors.
They're unseeable in game.
You should add tiles to differenciate the forest from a route.
In game, even with a dark weather, it might look like a common route.
And be careful with empty spaces: be sure to add people in them or simply remove them.

Spoiler:

Another map from Earth.
You need to fix the left entrance, to look like the right one (the rock tiles below it)
There is a lot of potential in this map, and you should explore it (like the coast thing, that I don't know the name of it. make it wide! put some stair under the poke center and create another one there!)
I personally think that the lake in the north area is unnecessary, and should be moved to the east, replacing some trees.

What's your biggest wish?
Old January 4th, 2015 (08:33 AM).
Magic
キュウコン

Another map from Earth.
Really really like the wall idea. Gives the town something a bit unique - I agree with Dionen that maybes it could be replicated on the other side, or a path under the overhang?

Tiles wise, the only bits I dislike are the lack of water shadows (I mean, there's a huge wall/bridge i the middle, it must cast some shadow) and the uniformity of the cliffs. I guess the latter is more anti-nintendoy though.

Last point, maybe too many 'blocking' sprites? Do you need two sets of rock-smash rocks in the way to the north? Are two cut-trees needed so close to one another? I'd probably get rid of the one in front of the gym, or connect the courtyard up so only one tree is needed.

Overal 8/10 .
Old January 4th, 2015 (08:46 AM).
Bill Cipher
Call me Fuxydia~!

Quote originally posted by Magic:
Really really like the wall idea. Gives the town something a bit unique - I agree with Dionen that maybes it could be replicated on the other side, or a path under the overhang?

Tiles wise, the only bits I dislike are the lack of water shadows (I mean, there's a huge wall/bridge i the middle, it must cast some shadow) and the uniformity of the cliffs. I guess the latter is more anti-nintendoy though.

Last point, maybe too many 'blocking' sprites? Do you need two sets of rock-smash rocks in the way to the north? Are two cut-trees needed so close to one another? I'd probably get rid of the one in front of the gym, or connect the courtyard up so only one tree is needed.

Overal 8/10 .

I've fixed alot more stuff. But I should mention a few things.
1. The rocks to the north, aren't going to be used for Smashing. In my hack there was a recent earthquake, and this is the aftermath, after beating the third gym, the rocks will be moved, which is why the sailor is there. To try move them.
2. The cut bush in front of the gym is like the one in Fire Red, you need to get HM cut, before you can get to the gym.
3. I've added the second pier, and shading.

いいえエンディングまで泣くん...
Old January 4th, 2015 (09:02 AM). Edited January 16th, 2015 by TheRealOCD.
TheRealOCD
Pokemon Hybrid Creator And HGSS Fanboy

Nature: Adamant

1. The rocks to the north, aren't going to be used for Smashing. In my hack there was a recent earthquake, and this is the aftermath, after beating the third gym, the rocks will be moved, which is why the sailor is there. To try move them.
2. The cut bush in front of the gym is like the one in Fire Red, you need to get HM cut, before you can get to the gym.
The map is good but, their is something weird to me in this specific place in the map. (The cave tiles arent placed like the left side)

EDIT: Sorry, image was deleted.

Working On Pokemon Hybrid Version!

63 Days
Old January 4th, 2015 (09:04 AM). Edited January 16th, 2015 by TheRealOCD.
TheRealOCD

Here is the first map in my new pokemon ROM hack!
Hope you Like it!!!

63 Days
Old January 4th, 2015 (09:05 AM).
Bill Cipher
Call me Fuxydia~!

Quote originally posted by TheRealOCD:
The map is good but, their is something weird to me in this specific place in the map. (The cave tiles arent placed like the left side)

Here is the first map in my new pokemon ROM hack!
Hope you Like it!!!

It continues on to the next map.

As for your map, I'd give it a 5/10.
It's very basic, and boring, the only interesting thing is that Lugia Statue.
You should use more than one type of house per town, and try a different path maybe?
And, is there really any point of all that water, if you can't get to it? Why not just get rid of it, or maybe put something better there?

いいえエンディングまで泣くん...
Old January 4th, 2015 (09:08 AM). Edited January 16th, 2015 by TheRealOCD.
TheRealOCD

It continues on to the next map.

As for your map, I'd give it a 5/10.
It's very basic, and boring, the only interesting thing is that Lugia Statue.
You should use more than one type of house per town, and try a different path maybe?
And, is there really any point of all that water, if you can't get to it? Why not just get rid of it, or maybe put something better there?
Ok thanks ill try to make it look better!

63 Days
Old January 6th, 2015 (10:26 AM). Edited January 6th, 2015 by Spherical Ice.
Bill Cipher
Call me Fuxydia~!

I made a Cave Map.

Spoiler:
Mod note: this user has already reviewed almost every recent map so a review isn't needed.

いいえエンディングまで泣くん...
Old January 7th, 2015 (03:56 PM). Edited January 7th, 2015 by PeckanPie.
PeckanPie

New to this, so I appologize if I'm doing this all incorrectly.

Review
I made a Cave Map.

Spoiler:
Mod note: this user has already reviewed almost every recent map so a review isn't needed.
This map is very simple and clean. Seems very fitting for an early game cave since you're not likely to get lost in it. The only thing I have to say against it is that there are too many clusters of rocks. It could benefit with some use of negative inside the clusters, especially since there's only 3 variants of the rock types. Overall, decent map and I like it.

EDIT: Had a submission question, but Hack helped me out so it's all set now.
Old January 25th, 2015 (02:31 AM).
Mr.Wurmple
Advanced Wurmple Trainer

Nature: Gentle
Quote originally posted by Bill Cipher:

I made a Cave Map.

Spoiler:
Well, I think it's a very good map. It's perfect for a starting cave. You've done everything right with this cave. But I think it would be cool, if you made it more like a puzzle. But, that depends of, if it's a starting cave, or if it's a "normal" cave.
I'll give a 10/10 ^^

Now for my...
It's been a long time since I hacked last, so I was bored and, then I made this somehow.
Warning: Big picture
Spoiler:

Wurmples... Wurmples Everywhere...
Old 2 Weeks Ago (12:07 AM).
Magic
キュウコン

Quote originally posted by Mr.Wurmple:
Now for my...
It's been a long time since I hacked last, so I was bored and, then I made this somehow.
Warning: Big picture
Spoiler:
Your map, to me, looks true to RSE. Your main town layout looks nice, however there are a few odd places - for example the left-cave entrance is almost covered by the building, and the path leading off the bottom-right/bottom-right are cramped, not much space to get through. It would be more inkeeping with the rest of the open map if there was more space to move in the area.

I'm also not sure of what to make by the acro bike pipe. Do people in this town get around on bikes exclusively? I'm assuming the player has to have the acro bike at this stage otherwise they'd be a bit stuck ):.

I'm not a big fan of your tree placement. It's a bit too sporadic for my case and would be helped with a least some uniformity. Not to say it all has to be square, just less random overall.

7/10

Map Name: Undecided
ROM: FR (pure, no custom tiles)

I would love some feedback on this map - I've tried to somewhat emulate the typical FR mapping style, with a few tweaks to try and make the map less rigid. Please forgive the creative use of waterfalls, once I look at the map in-game I'll see how bad they look :'). I'm not used to mapping in just FR tiles (haven't done it in like 3 years now) so any feedback on use of trees, shapes, placement, paths, etc. would be nice. Not really fussed on an actual rating aha.

Spoiler:
Old 2 Weeks Ago (08:29 AM).
Spherical Ice

Send a message via Skype™ to Spherical Ice
Quote originally posted by Magic:
Map Name: Undecided
ROM: FR (pure, no custom tiles)

I would love some feedback on this map - I've tried to somewhat emulate the typical FR mapping style, with a few tweaks to try and make the map less rigid. Please forgive the creative use of waterfalls, once I look at the map in-game I'll see how bad they look :'). I'm not used to mapping in just FR tiles (haven't done it in like 3 years now) so any feedback on use of trees, shapes, placement, paths, etc. would be nice. Not really fussed on an actual rating aha.

Spoiler:
First, you've got quite a few tile errors with your tree shading and general use of the tiles, I've circled them in red.

I personally think your mountains could use having tighter layers (as in, there not being so much space between), particularly the left-most one. Those small rocks also look weird being directly adjacent one another - they tend to look better when placed diagonally. I think the way the player enters the gatehouse at the bottom looks a bit awkward because the entrance isn't centred, so I'd fix that as well as the error with the windows. I also think the use of the thin trees there looks really awkward, and would probably be better off with only the top, say, three or four being there, and the rest being replaced with the cliff instead. The cliff there could also be pushed to the left one or two tiles, because right now it is directly next to the path and makes that area look cramped.

You seem to be underusing the five grass tiles you have at your disposal which makes the ground look somewhat monotonous and bland, so I'd vary that up, too. I'm not a fan of how the mountains go directly into the water; I think it would look better if the water border tile was used. The tiles directly to the right of the gym that border on the cliff are lower than the ones on the left which makes the gym look structurally unsafe, so I'd push them up one tile too. I think you could do with using the thin trees elsewhere on the map, too, again for some variety. Finally, a really minor nitpick, but I'd make the middle layer here extend to the left a little more so the cliff looks slightly smoother and natural.

The general layout is very nice and the size of the map is appropriate, in that it isn't too empty or too cramped (it is in some places, but that can be easily fixed). The division the water brings gives the map a nice sense of depth and character, which is nice too. The terrain is well varied and overall the map isn't too crowded or too bland, so I'd give it about a 6/10, with it being so low only because of the technical errors and nitpicks I've described above. Hope I wasn't too harsh!
Old 2 Weeks Ago (08:55 AM). Edited 2 Weeks Ago by Magic.
Magic
キュウコン

Kay, tweaked to address 90% of those issues I think!

Spoiler:

Tbh tree shadows confuse me. Only add the shadow for multiple rows of trees is it? Rather than throw shadows on any un-open edges?
Old 2 Weeks Ago (09:33 AM). Edited 2 Weeks Ago by joexv.
joexv
The True XV
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via Skype™ to joexv
Would you guys be so willing as to rate a few maps I've been working on.
Spoiler:

The first one is a small town located in the plains at the base of some mountains. The second is directly east of the first map. Any feedback is aprreciated.:D

Sry bout that spherical, completely forgot
Quote originally posted by Bill Cipher:

I like to look of youre map, I feel like the mountain is a little bare on the upper unacessailable area. The lower dock are is a great touch. All in all good job 8/10.

I believe in Jesus Christ my Savior. If you do too, and aren't scared to admit it, then copy and paste this in your signature.
Just remember, you cant spell slaughter without laughter.
Old 2 Weeks Ago (09:59 AM).
Spherical Ice

Send a message via Skype™ to Spherical Ice
Quote originally posted by joexv:
Would you guys be so willing as to rate a few maps I've been working on.
Spoiler:

The first one is a small town located in the plains at the base of some mountains. The second is directly east of the first map. Any feedback is aprreciated.:D
Please edit your post to include a review of a user's map to comply with the rules of this thread, or I'll have to delete your post. D:

Sponsored Links