• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Monotype Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Aug 17, 2018
3rd Emerald Update:
-defeated May in Lilycove City
-caught Vulpix on Mt. Pyre
-Evolved Vulpix into Ninetales
-Slugma evolved into Magcargo
-defeated Tate & Liza

Team:
Spoiler:

Blueredemption

Never stop exploring!
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Oct 16, 2023
*UPDATE*

sapphire-fighting

-started adventure
-caught shroomish
-beat Roxanne
-torchic evolved into combusken
-beat Brawly
-caught makuhita
-beat Wattson
-shroomish evolved into breloom

team:

combusken lv 23
breloom lv 23
makuhita lv 20
zigzagoon lv 2 (hm)

3/8

Last edited:
Years
... You know. Waiting till Friday, starting from Saturday, is really boring. Anyway, onto my first Platinum Ghost Mono-Type update.

Log:
Spoiler:

Current Team:
Spoiler:

Number of Badges: 1

Last edited:

Mesmerella

Preschooler
Years
Time for an update!

-After catching Gastly, I battled Biker Ricardo and Biker Jaren repeatedly until it reached level 34.
-Obviously, Gastly evolved into Haunter.
-At level 35, I evolved Haunter into Gengar. I would have done it sooner, but I had to wait until after I had batteries for my GBAs. XD
-Gave Golbat a freaking Everstone so it would stop attempting to evolve and then laughing in my face when the game refused to let it.
-Battled all the bikers on cycling road, and made it to Fuchsia.
-Left Fuchsia and continued up through the routes leading back to Lavender.
-Challenged the Fighting Dojo.
-Beat Team Rocket and Apple in Silph Co. I lost Golbat to Apple's Gyarados, but other than that, everything went fine.
-Trained my Pokemon against various trainers to get them ready for Koga and Sabrina.
-Challenged Koga's gym. I had a bit of trouble against the trainers in there; I had forgotten that most of them carry psychic types and not poison types. >.< However, Koga himself was a piece of cake with Gengar.
-Caught Tentacool immediately after beating Koga.
-Groaned as I realized just how long it would take to get Tentacool up to everyone else's level....

Team

Spoiler:

Years
New update on FireRed

-Went through Diglett Tunnel, obtained Flash
-Cleared Route 9 and Rock Tunnel with no difficulties, hit Lavender Town.
-Cleared northern part of route 12, and cleared Route 8, hit Celadon City.
-Took a break to waste all my money in the game corner till I got Shadow Ball. Hopefully this comes in useful.
-Challenged Celadon Gym, everyone was easily beaten again due to high levels, the only problem being Erika and her status moves. Hard to be-leaf it went that easy huh?

Team

Spoiler:

Mesmerella

Preschooler
Years
-I began backtracking through the game, rematching various trainers in order to train Tentacool.
-Tentacool evolved into Tentacruel.
-After beating Bird Keepers Wilton, Ramiro, and Jacob over and over, Tentacruel finally reached level 44, and I was able to take on Sabrina, the gym leader who I was fearing the most.
-After running into the first trainer in Sabrina's gym, who was rocking a Slowbro that Tentacruel could barely dent, I decided to go through the gym without battling any of the trainers. It took me FOREVER to finally go through the right portals.
-After much screaming and cursing, I, at long last, reached Sabrina's room. I looked into my bag and realized that I had absolutely no potions on me. Oh God, no...
-I was able to kill her Kadabra in two hits, but I had trouble with her Mr. Mime, who set up with Calm Mind and then Baton Passed to Alakazam.
-By this point, I thought for sure it was the end, but... Alakazam did nothing but spam Future Sight, so most of the time, it didn't even attack me. Tentacruel was able to take the first Future Sight hit, but lost to the second one; I sent out Golbat to take out a now severely weakened Alakazam and Mr. Mime, with no issues whatsoever.
-When Sabrina was about to use Venomoth, I switched in Gengar and killed it easily with a Psychic, and won the battle.
-Everything went better than expected.

Team

Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 2, 2021
Forum User Name: Shadowhawke
Pokémon Type: Dark
Challenge Type: (Ultimate)
Game(s):X, Black, Platinum, Emerald, Heart Gold
Previous Progress: Yes

Didn't have a way to do the earlier generations before, when I did a dark monotype on x just because it was weak to the new fairy type. Can do the other generations now, so I will do an ultimate challenge.

Years
And normal monotype is completed!

Here is the beautiful hall of fame:

Spoiler:

Now for my team...

Lilly surprised me. I never used delcatty before but she was sure awesome and really useful team member. She has a nice movepool that helped me out a lot in the end.
Zara was a monster. She had an amazing ability and she was able to hit quick and hard - really cool team member aswell.
Lina was ok - although better movepool wouldn't hurt, Marty and Tai were awesome as always and Exploud was my life saver against champion because he had Earthquake.

Final team:

301.gif

Lilly|Female|Careful Nature|Cute Charm|Lvl 56
Sing
Thunderbolt
Strength
Ice Beam

295.gif

Larry|Male|Impish Nature|Soundproof|Lvl 56
Hyper Beam
Strength
Earthquake
Shadow Ball

264.gif

Lina|Female|Sassy Nature|Pickup|Lvl 55
Surf
Rock Smash
Slash
Headbutt

277.gif

Tai|Male|Impish Nature|Guts|Lvl 55
Aerial Ace
Fly
Return
Quick Attack

335.gif

Zara|Female|Careful Nature|Immunity|Lvl 55
Slash
Crush Claw
Swords Dance
Pursuit

203f.gif

Marty|Female|Gentle Nature|Early Bird|Lvl 56
Calm Mind
Psychic
Stomp
Crunch

Blueredemption

Never stop exploring!
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Oct 16, 2023
*UPDATE*

Sapphire-fighting

-caught machop on rout 112
-took out aqua after getting lost for an hour :/
-made it to lavaridge and beat flannery
-got back to petalburg and beat dad(norman)
-took that long path to fortree
-machop evolved into machoke
-beat winona, now that was a challenge.

Team:

Sumo (hariyama) 34
Machoke (machoke) 29
Clucklens (combusken) 29
Shroommm (breloom) 29
1234 (zigzagoon) (hm) 3

6/8

Last edited:

Pekin

Wigglytuff is and has always been on acid.
Years
Forum User Name: Pekin
Pokémon Type: Water
Challenge Type: Ultimate
Game(s): Not sure, not sure, Emerald, Platinum, Black 2, Y
Previous Progress: No (not in this particular challenge, at least, but I have a few other ongoing challenges, and would love to have my progress in those added to the thread)

With my Fire monotype going on its final chapter, and my Grass monotype only needing its final chapter, it seemed only fitting that I'd start a Water UMC. I think I'll be going with Emerald first, posting update later.

Mesmerella

Preschooler
Years
-Headed back to Pallet Town and started off for Cinnabar.
-Had some difficulty with one of the trainers on Route 21; I lost Golbat to a Cloyster.
-Got through Pokemon Mansion and found the Secret Key.
-Immediately went back to Fuchsia so I can beat up on those Bird Keepers again. XD
-After grinding everyone up to level 48, I went back to Cinnabar to challenge the gym.
-Even though the trainers in Blaine's gym are optional, I decided to battle all of them anyway for the experience. I honestly had more problems with them than with Blaine, and that was due to the limited PP in rock type moves.
-I used Tentacruel in the battle against Blaine himself. She was able to OHKO almost everything with Surf... On his Arcanine, however, there was still a little bit of HP left. I was scared for a moment that it would set up Sunny Day and make it difficult for me to hit him again after he healed, but Arcanine actually used Take Down and killed itself with recoil damage. GG.
-After I got my badge, I left Blaine's gym and was immediately greeted by Bill, who took me away to the Sevii Islands...

Team

Spoiler:

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
It's been a while, but I got around to doing more of my challenge, so here's the next update:

8th Update, Rock Challenge on Platinum:

-after getting my gambling needs out of my system, I entered the Veilstone Galactic building with Looker's help
-fought my way through a bunch of grunts
-defeated Cyrus (who the hell gives a Master Ball to someone when they lose?)
-beat down Saturn and freed the lake trio
-evolved Rhydon into Rhyperior
-headed off to Mt.Coronet for the showdown with Team Galactic (thank you random grunt for telling me I have to use the Oreburgh entrance). Discovered that there was a whole room of grunts to battle that I never noticed before, even though I've been through this part of the game 3 times before.
-climbed all the way to the Spear Pillar. Whupped Jupiter and Mars with my rival
-Giratina appeared. I jumped into the Distortion World to chase after Cyrus. I've always thought that the Distortion World was one of the cooler places in Pokemon.
-caught up to Cyrus and battled him one last time. His Gyarados was annoying. Then I captured Giratina and used it's power to take over the world, mwahahahaha! All shall kneel before the Devourlord!
-after putting Cyrus's plans to an end, I caught Giratina (just Master Balled that one)
-left the Distortion World, checked in with Rowan
-made my way to Sunnyshore City, got Volkner to get his ass back in the Gym
-took on the gym. It was easy, since 3 of my Rock types are part Ground. Spam Earthquake and done. Though Volkner put up a bit of a better fight than I expected. And you think the whole gym would've come down with all the Earthquakes I used....
-got the HM for Waterfall from Jasmine.

Current Bagdes:

Current Team:

The next update will most likely be the last for this challenge, since all that's left is to go through Victory Road and take on the Pokemon League. I'll give you slightly more detailed accounts of the battles in the League. Also, I don't know how to provide you with pretty pictures of my Hall of Fame entry (or if I even can), so yeah.

Years
Been a bit but here's a new FireRed update.

-Entered and wiped out the Rocket Hideout
-Got the Silph Scope
-Forgot about my rival in Pokemon Tower so curb stomped his team easily.
-Caught Cubone in Pokemon Tower, spent 20 minutes and was lucky as I found a Thick Club on the fifth Cubone I caught.
-Had a horrible time as I trained Cubone from 15 - 43
-Decided to take on a part time Ghostbuster Job as I dealt with exorcisms, gangs and pacifiying very angry spirits. Cleared the Pokemon Tower in the end and saved Mr. Fuji.
-Headed back to Celadon, entered the secret house and got Fly.
-Went through Cycling Road and arrived at Fuchsia.
-Went straight to the Safari Zone and caught my final member Rhyhorn.

Spoiler:

WarriorCat

Monotype lover!!!!!
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jul 30, 2014
Not starting any new ones, just continuing my 3 current ones, I'm also going to go through all my completed gen V ultimates with Y and slowly finish them all. :)

And one question: Is Super Training is allowed? I assume it would be since it's just EV training.

Forum User Name: WarriorCat
Pokémon Type: -
Challenge Type: Ultimate
Game(s): -
Previous Progress: Yes

Not much has happened since my last update on my normal mono on X.
Just caught a Litleo named Potato (idk, I think I was drunk, lol)

I should have more later.

Mesmerella

Preschooler
Years
Before I update, I'd like to sign up for my next challenge, since I'm nearing the end of my current one. ^.^

Forum User Name: Mesmerella
Pokémon Type: Bug
Challenge Type: Single
Game: Black
Previous Progress: No

Now that that's out of the way... Onto my update!

-After Bill and Celio started working, I headed up Kindle Road to battle all the trainers. I didn't go to Mt. Ember, however, because I didn't have the HMs necessary to scale it. (Or the supplies to catch Moltres...)
-Went to Two Island and talked to Lostelle's dad. I didn't bother taking Venusaur to the "ultimate move" lady because those moves are stupid.
-Arrived at Three Island and beat all of the Biker Goons.
-Battled everyone on Bond Bridge and defeated the scary Hypno in Berry Forest. Gave the Meteorite to Lostelle's dad.
-Returned to One Island and trained everyone up to Giovanni's level on Kindle Road.
-Left the Sevii Islands and went back to Cinnabar with Bill. I healed in Pallet Town before making my way to Viridian to get my last gym badge.
-Challenged Viridian City's gym. I was somewhat worried about this one, since my team is weak to ground, but to be honest, I had more difficulty with the Cooltrainers in there than Giovanni himself, who was swept easily by Tentacruel.
-Giovanni disbanded Team Rocket, and I continued on my merry way, preparing for the climax of my journey...

Team

Spoiler:

Years
Well, I'm finally starting to play this challenge more frequently. Platinum Ghost update #2

Log:
Spoiler:

Current Team:
Spoiler:

Badges: 3/8

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
Ultimate Fighting Monotype Challenge: Black White Version
Complete

So, I finished this old Monotype. I believe I started this around this time last year. I think I need to work on finishing these faster. I think only one of my completed monotypes was fast and that was my Fairy mono that I had to restart.

Anyway, most of the E4 was easy enough, but I would up having to spam my Scrafty for half of it. N wasn't a problem until he threw out Archeops, who was capable of sweeping everyone on my damn team. So when I fought him for the second time, which doesn't entirely make sense, I decided to spam Bulk Up with my Throh, proving its usefulness. Ghetsis however, was pretty hard actually. I managed to beat him on the first try but it was a struggle.

So now I only have to worry about one BW1 challenge, yay!

Spoiler:

Gulpin

poisonous
Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2017
I know that in my last update I promised to have worked on my Flying challenges that I had already started, but unfortunately I've been away from home quite a bit the past few weeks (and away from my cartridge games), so I've only been able to do challenges on my phone's emulator. As such, I've managed to start and make quite a bit of progress on another of my started ultimates, Electric! So, here's a rather large update of my Electric Hoenn run, on Emerald.

I chose Mudkip so I could deal with Roxanne easily and have an HM slave later in the game. I then moved as fast as I could to get to the first gym, where I defeated Roxanne and earned my first badge. I sailed to Dewford Town, and after finding Steven I discovered that I could skip the gym and I sailed straight to Slateport. North of Slateport, I caught my first team member, Electrike, and spent quite a while training it (I decided not to deal with Plusle/Minun). I then defeated Team Aqua (I think? I always forget which team is in Emerald..) then went ahead and traveled north up to Mauville. There, I defeated Watson, which allowed me to travel north, around the desert, through Fallarbor Town, and eventually (after dealing with Team Magma this time, I believe) to Lavaridge Town. By this point my now-Manectric was starting to be pretty overleveled, so Flannery was of no difficulty. After getting my third badge, it was time to travel back to Dewford and deal with Brawly. With the fourth badge, I was allowed to take on Norman, who wasn't too big of a challenge. Then I was able to cross the river to eastern Hoenn and travel north the Fortree City, where I zapped Winona's poor flying types. I then made my way along the long path to Lilycove, and backtracked a little to Mt. Pyre to progress with the evil team storyline. Right now, I've saved right before taking on my rival in Lilycove. (Do note that I plan on catching my second and final team member soon!)

Team
310.png
Manectric / Lv. 48 / Spark, Bite, Strength, Thunder

Type:
electric.gif

✔Pokemon Yellow Version
025.png
082.png
135.png

✔Pokemon Silver Version
181.png
082.png
171.png
125.png

Pokemon Emerald Version
310.png

Pokemon ?? Version
Pokemon ?? Version
Pokémon ?? Version

Blueredemption

Never stop exploring!
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Oct 16, 2023
*FINAL UPDATE*

Sapphire-fighting

-defeated the twins for 7th badge.
-got through that long encounter with aqua. (Forget which came first)
-beat wallace for final gym badge.
-reached victory road.
-grinded like crazy.
-beat wally after grinding even more.
-grinded against sydney for a pretty long wile.
-after getting high enough levels and a good amount of healing stuffs i started my offical challenge at the e4.
-basically swept Sydney, but i had trouble with phoebe, those ghost types where a pain.
-basically swept glacia but had trouble again with drake. He took alot of my resources too.
-steven was a huge challenge, it didn't get very hard untill metagross started spamming psychic. Eventualy clucklens took it out with blaze kick. Then came claydol, shroommm used leetch seed and acted like a brick wall untill it fainted and then took out cradily even though he was way underleveled.
-then steven took me to the hall of fame ^.^ i took this picture with my 2ds.

View attachment 71038

Team:
Cluckens (blaziken) lv 55
-Aerial ace
-slash
-overheat
-blaze kick

Machoke (machoke) lv 45
-dig
-revenge
-focus energy
-vital throw

Shroommm (breloom) lv 45
-mega drain
-flash
-shy uppercut
-leetch seed

Sumo (hariyama) lv 51
-fake out
-strength
-vital throw
-earthquake

8/8 complete :)

This monotype was a pretty big challenge for me. Even though i was warned, i wasn't prepared for the sheer amount of grinding that was involved in preparing for the e4. Also i have a new found hatred for golbat... i am glad its done and il start another monotype soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back