• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Evolution

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 25, 2015
I don't know if there has been a thread on this but I wonder if people have noticed when pokemon evolve (In game and not in episodes or movies), do you understand the evolution

If that isn't clear let me give an example of what I mean:

Spoiler:

#DickBats

Oliver Queen
Years
Charmander line of evolution makes perfect sense. Maybe a good example is:

Dragonair - Dragonite

Dragonair_XY.gif
149_-_dragonite.gif

Umm.. I don't know, well, ummm... If you think about it, some animals evolve to another completly different creature. I mean we we're fish billions of years ago. That being if evolution actually exist.

And others are based on mythology. Magikarp, if i'm not mistaken, evolving to Gyarados is based on a chinese mythological creature.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 25, 2015
I guess it does to most people but if you think about it Chamander is classed as a lizard pokemon and I don think lizards grow wings

Years
ducklett.gif
swanna.gif

Good question! :) I think for me the biggest problem I personally have is with these two haha. I suppose it probably makes a lot more sense than some evolutions but for me personally I just can't get over a duck evolving into a swan when they're entirely different creatures lol xD

There's others that have colour changes I don't understand (like Sandile to Krokorok is perfectly understandable, and then suddenly Krookodile just turns red outta nowhere lol xD) But at the end of the day it still makes more sense to me than the above example lol :)

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I've always wondered how Bronzor managed to evolve itself directly into a Bronzong, without any middle-stage evolution-form of sorts. In comparison, Bronzor is a very tiny piece of metal, and seeing it shape-shift into a gargantuan church-bell like this doesn't make much sense to me, unfortunately. Am sure there are many others who feel the same! Had there been a middle-stage evolution for it which would help showing its transition more slowly, I'm sure it would have been much better.

Alongside, I'm also curious as to how Charizard manages to change its body to form Mega-Charizard X. Charizard's orange in color and have red flames on its tail, and seeing those making drastic change all of a sudden thanks to a mega-stone of sorts don't... seem very pretty, so to speak. Although it's understandable that these items significantly raise Pokémon's power (as well as their body structure to complement), but isn't this a little too much? I believe it would've made more sense had it kept its original color-scheme and whatnot.

I'm not sure how possible this is, but I feel it'd be nice if they were to add more into their evolution system at some point in future. For example, when Pokémon evolve, instead of showing some glow, I feel majority of us fans would be appreciating it more if they were to remove that and showcase how their body actually transforms.

Years
For me, its the Butterfree line. I felt it should have been the Venomoth line.
As Metapod have similarities to Venomoth, and Venonat have Butterfree features.

And XtinaIsMeLuvinWWE, I believe that line is based on the ugly duckling story.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 25, 2015

In real life when a caterpillar cocoons itself, it eventually turns into a butterfly so it makes perfect sense

Years

And XtinaIsMeLuvinWWE, I believe that line is based on the ugly duckling story.

Omg really?? That actually makes so much sense now haha!! :) Thank you for clearing that up because it's bothered me for the longest time lol xD

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I agree with Venonat evolving into Butterfree; former's got similar color-scheme as latter, and it also has the same set of eyes (only slightly bigger, I suppose?), and due to that, I believe things would have been easier when it came to explaining and whatnot. Same goes for Caterpie and Metapod, which would have eventually evolved into Venomoth had they went towards this particular route.

Alongside those, I also don't believe Rhydon's evolution, Rhyperior, makes much sense. Most of it would have to do with the Pokémon's colors; Rhyhorn and Rhydon are primarily grey, but when they reach their third-stage, they suddenly seem to shift towards brown and orange, which, in a way, doesn't fit. If it weren't for that, I believe things would have been much better.

Years
Alongside those, I also don't believe Rhydon's evolution, Rhyperior, makes much sense. Most of it would have to do with the Pokémon's colors; Rhyhorn and Rhydon are primarily grey, but when they reach their third-stage, they suddenly seem to shift towards brown and orange, which, in a way, doesn't fit. If it weren't for that, I believe things would have been much better.

I agree, but I have an odd theory, what if that was man made in a way.
You do need an item and trade it to evolve, so the result will be unnatural.

Years
I've found myself wondering how Whismur, an incredibly quiet Pokémon, evolves into Loudred, who is super loud, and then Exploud, one of the biggest hams in Pokémon with a gigantic mouth. Did Whismur go through some unexplainable brain transformation upon evolution or something?

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 2, 2016
Pokemon has a combination of evolution and metamorphosis. It has rules of its own but it is not purely evolution. I will say its metamorphosis more than evolution because of the breeding doesnt breed the same pokemon, it breeds the base.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Dec 15, 2015
I've found myself wondering how Whismur, an incredibly quiet Pokémon, evolves into Loudred, who is super loud, and then Exploud, one of the biggest hams in Pokémon with a gigantic mouth. Did Whismur go through some unexplainable brain transformation upon evolution or something?

According to XY dex whismur can be pretty loud sometimes.

XIt usually murmurs but starts crying loudly if it senses danger. It stops when its ear covers are shut.YIf it senses danger, it scares the foe by crying out with the volume of a jet-plane engine.

Back