• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Cubone and the Power Crystal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
8Nawn.png

Intro

Instead of working on a full-length hack, I've chosen to do a series of smaller, more compact hacks. This series will be called Pokémon Miniventures, and the first one, Cubone and the Power Crystal is a light-hearted game that sees the player, one of the last remaining Team Rocket members, discover the secrets of a deserted island for eternal power. Oh and a talking Cubone is involved.

Background Story

Last year, a prodigious Pokémon Trainer by the name of Red rose from nowhere and became the Indigo League Champion, taking down Giovanni's evil Team Rocket organisation. You were part of said organisation, but don't believe that because the team has been disbanded you should stop doing what you do best. That all goes wrong, however, when you're discovered. The police pursue you, and you manage to escape until you arrive at Seven Island, where, if all had gone to plan, you would have been home-free.

It seems, however that the bridge that led to your getaway is broken (why does that keep happening to you?). Determined not to go away for life, you (stupidly) jump into the fast-flowing currents and, assuming you had drowned, the police leave. However, after what appears to be days of being pushed and pulled by the seas currents, you find yourself being awoken by a Cubone on a mysterious island, who appears to be trying to communicate with you...

Screenshots

Note: The player's OW is tentative to change. The backsprite also hasn't been edited yet.

5ytZT.png
7j0bz.png
sHPSB.png

7lTDu.png
dnzDL.png
x5VGa.png

zOU2j.png
RYEbo.png
S55Nh.png

FcSLW.png
bSdbg.png
LQOLI.png

Videos

Tile errors in these videos have probably been noticed and fixed by me already. :D

Features

• A completely different story!
  • Talking Pokémon via the Mystical Bone.
  • A deserted island with a mysterious past.
  • Cubone! (yes that's a feature)
  • Three completely different dungeons complete with bosses and mini-bosses.
  • Mastermind_X's Ruins of Alph puzzle!
  • Time travel!

Awards

Because I love rubbing stuff in yo face

pots1_1st.png

Credits

• DrFuji and Giradialkia
Listening to me ramble ideas, script help, etc. DrFuji also helped a ton inserting the Iron Pyramid's area image.
HackMew, Lu-Ho, VBA Team, Wichu, link12552, mh-nexus
Tools.
• Neti, Thrace and Fangking Omega
Snow ROM base - some tiles are partly edited by me.
• diegoisawesome and Mastermind_x
Helping me insert Mastermind_X's Ruins of Alph puzzle.
• cuddlesthefatcat
Awesome tiles.

Closing Word

Thanks for reading so far. Please don't take this hack too seriously, I'm well aware it has some features that are less then believable but hey, it's just for fun. I think that's what's missing from the Hacking community: people aren't trying to make their games fun, they're trying to make them the longest, prettiest, best scripted, deepest storyline'd game and it leads to failure most of the time. Just chill out and make something cool ;D

Last edited:
Years
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude. This pleases me to no end! :D I love it! The entire concept of a 'microhack' (let's see if that sticks) is pretty awesome, and I think you have a valid point when you say:
Just chill out and make something cool ;D
And this certainly looks cool. The story hints at something amazing, and the screens, though they don't give all that much away, certainly look promising. Keep up the awesomeness Haroun, great job so far buddy :)

kebbles

Rom Hacker.
Years
Great idea, i was thinkin of doing the same thing justbased on the pokemon movies, but i never got around to it :) good luck mate u got my support.
oh i think the destroyed deck looks cool as.

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years
Oh wow, this thread went up fast :P

Anyway, I know this hack is in its early stages, but it definitely looks like it is on the right track. Like gira I also like the idea of a 'microhack' where you can just have some fun for an hour or two with a short game. Anyway, are you going to be sticking with the default tiles for the entire game or will you also add some more to make it look a bit more like a jungle? I like the fact that you also recognise that Cubone is a feature unto itself.

Anyway, keep on broin' it up with this hack :P

Years
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude. This pleases me to no end! :D I love it! The entire concept of a 'microhack' (let's see if that sticks) is pretty awesome, and I think you have a valid point when you say:

And this certainly looks cool. The story hints at something amazing, and the screens, though they don't give all that much away, certainly look promising. Keep up the awesomeness Haroun, great job so far buddy :)
Haha, I'm glad you like it. Thanks :3

Great idea, i was thinkin of doing the same thing justbased on the pokemon movies, but i never got around to it :) good luck mate u got my support.
oh i think the destroyed deck looks cool as.
Nice! Of course, there's nothing stopping you doing those movie hacks too :D Thanks!

Oh wow, this thread went up fast :P

Anyway, I know this hack is in its early stages, but it definitely looks like it is on the right track. Like gira I also like the idea of a 'microhack' where you can just have some fun for an hour or two with a short game. Anyway, are you going to be sticking with the default tiles for the entire game or will you also add some more to make it look a bit more like a jungle? I like the fact that you also recognise that Cubone is a feature unto itself.

Anyway, keep on broin' it up with this hack :P
Thanks broseph. I'm definitely adding some custom FR tiles but I'm not really gonna bother too much with a whole new graphical style because I'm lazy.

Anyway:

8Nawn.png

Update!

FjhfW.png
3TuFE.png

A few screenshots from the first dungeon: when you step on the green buttons, it will open any green doors and close any pink doors. Stepping on the pink buttons with close any green doors and open any pink doors. The idea is to get the key in the chest and proceed onto the next level, to eventually beat the boss and miniboss.​

Last edited:

marcc5m

what
Years
This looks awesome, HotY candidate already, if you manage to pull this off, which I have no doubts you will.
Anyway, like I sad on MSN, I think the text colours should be changed just for extra coolness, maybe green or something? Jut because it's a Pokémon, and it's the humans that use blue/red.
Anyway puzzle idea is nice.
'k I posted in yours go post in mine.

Years
This looks very good :D
I think you've got a lot of potential playability here :)
Thanks!
What exactly do you mean by playability? :0

This looks awesome, HotY candidate already, if you manage to pull this off, which I have no doubts you will.
Anyway, like I sad on MSN, I think the text colours should be changed just for extra coolness, maybe green or something? Jut because it's a Pokémon, and it's the humans that use blue/red.
Anyway puzzle idea is nice.
'k I posted in yours go post in mine.
Lol HOTY. In my dreams at least :P
As their are really no humans in this except for the policemen in the beginning, who have green text anyway, I don't plan to change the colour for Cubone etc. It seems like a bit too much effort for something so minor imo. Thanks anyway, and sure thing.

The next update is either a video or a preview to the dungeon's miniboss. Or both. Or neither. Idk.

Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2021
This is looking great! I love the concept of a microhack with just a short, fun game. The custom FR tiles and puzzles are also looking great. I agree with Fireworks though, maybe you should change the Pokemon's text to green and the policeman's text to blue? Good luck! :)

Tropical Sunlight

The Faltine
Years
Playability is a quality of a game that makes it playable (makes the player enjoy but still provide a decent amount of difficulty) :D
This hack is bound to be very playable :)

Years
  • Seen May 4, 2013
People aren't trying to make their games fun, they're trying to make them the longest, prettiest, best scripted, deepest storyline'd game and it leads to failure most of the time. Just chill out and make something cool ;D

Probably the best statement I have ever seen in this section. Totally agree with you mate. I love the idea of this hack and hope it goes far! I cant wait to play it and its many sequels!

Years
8Nawn.png

Update!

A video of the beginning scenes of this hack. Any tile errors have been fixed, rest assured ;D.
Also I ended up changing the text of Cubone to green, happy now? ;D​

This is looking great! I love the concept of a microhack with just a short, fun game. The custom FR tiles and puzzles are also looking great. I agree with Fireworks though, maybe you should change the Pokemon's text to green and the policeman's text to blue? Good luck! :)
Thanks!

Playability is a quality of a game that makes it playable (makes the player enjoy but still provide a decent amount of difficulty) :D
This hack is bound to be very playable :)
Thought that was what you meant. Thanks!

Probably the best statement I have ever seen in this section. Totally agree with you mate. I love the idea of this hack and hope it goes far! I cant wait to play it and its many sequels!
Glad to see I ain't alone~
Thanks though technically they won't be sequels, just separate hacks.!

Anyway, I've updated the first post with some updated screenshots.

Years
  • Seen May 4, 2013
I absolutely love the video and can't wait to play this hack:) As for my comment earlier I didn't really mean a sequel to this story I just meant more Pokemon MiniAdventures.

Truality

Left for good
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen May 17, 2013
Wahahahahahawesome. Yes, he's back! And with a great hack idea, too!

Great stuff there, Haroun. Keep it up! I hope the best for this! God I don't know how to compliment you right now.

Omega Zero

Is back...
Years
Haha, I'm glad you like it. Thanks :3

Nice! Of course, there's nothing stopping you doing those movie hacks too :D Thanks!

Thanks broseph. I'm definitely adding some custom FR tiles but I'm not really gonna bother too much with a whole new graphical style because I'm lazy.

Anyway:

8Nawn.png

Update!

FjhfW.png
3TuFE.png

A few screenshots from the first dungeon: when you step on the green buttons, it will open any green doors and close any pink doors. Stepping on the pink buttons with close any green doors and open any pink doors. The idea is to get the key in the chest and proceed onto the next level, to eventually beat the boss and miniboss.​

I like the concept, but those green and pink tiles look like you ripped them from one of the canes in Loz Lttp.

onelifeleft

McLovin Waffles
Years
  • Seen Jan 6, 2014
This looks like a good one! I'll definately play this when it comes out.

Years
I absolutely love the video and can't wait to play this hack:) As for my comment earlier I didn't really mean a sequel to this story I just meant more Pokemon MiniAdventures.
Thanks, and I was just clarifying ;D
Wahahahahahawesome. Yes, he's back! And with a great hack idea, too!

Great stuff there, Haroun. Keep it up! I hope the best for this! God I don't know how to compliment you right now.
Hey dude! Thanks!

I like the concept, but those green and pink tiles look like you ripped them from one of the canes in Loz Lttp.
I see where you'r e coming from, but:
361lS.png

You can see the Zelda tiles were much better tiled than mine. Which were custom.

This looks like a good one! I'll definately play this when it comes out.
Thanks!

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
Years
The video is veeery nice :D

(Somewhat familiar to hack of my own where you also need to explore and find stuff like Keys to get through some parts of the game)

Years
  • Seen May 4, 2013
Hey I was going to mention this earlier but by any chance do need (or want) A website developed for the MiniAdventures. I'm currently developing for two clients a yt channel with near 3000 subs and one with near 1000. I'm willing to take on a third client and I am wanting to do it for someone developing hacks this time round. Let me know if you are interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back