• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Development: Pokémon Fire Red Hacked Engine

Sierraffinity

Desperately trying to retire from ROM hacking
Years
JPAN, I want to make a door that moves the camera up when walking into it, much like the effects of walking into the Sprout Tower and others in HeartGold/SoulSilver. How could this be accomplished using your tile attribute hack, as I do not believe it explains how to make a walking-into script.

0m3GA ARS3NAL

Im comin' home...
Years
JPAN, I want to make a door that moves the camera up when walking into it, much like the effects of walking into the Sprout Tower and others in HeartGold/SoulSilver. How could this be accomplished using your tile attribute hack, as I do not believe it explains how to make a walking-into script.

Well, instead of using a regular warp event in A-Map, you could have an event that does everything for you.
There is a scripting command that opens and closes doors, with it, you could;
Have the door open
Have the player walk into the door (And disappear)
Have the door close
Have the screen continue to move up
And Finally, warp!

Sierraffinity

Years
Well, instead of using a regular warp event in A-Map, you could have an event that does everything for you.
There is a scripting command that opens and closes doors, with it, you could;
Have the door open
Have the player walk into the door (And disappear)
Have the door close
Have the screen continue to move up
And Finally, warp!
Yes, I already know how to do that, but I want to make it look nice. I think the best way is to make it a walk-into event.

Years
  • Seen Mar 15, 2010
Hi I know this is probably a really stupid question but I am completely confused. How exactly do you use this hacked rom? Do you load it instead of the original fire Red? I keep reading how you are supposed to "patch" the original ROM but I have no idea how to do this or what that means. If someone would be kind enough to briefly explain to me what I need to do it would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for being a noob,

Mdb31

Edit: Nevermind I figured it out. For anyone who had a similar question, you have to download a program called ips.exe (google it) to patch ROMS.

Last edited:
Years
Posting here to tell you all that the new version is now available on the first post. Lot's of changes were made there, but some new features are really worth talking about, and are too big for that post space.

Oh,this is really the best Chistmas gift for me,thank you,JPAN!
I think I'll devote myself how to use the new features several days.
By the way,is it possible to make a script while a trainer sees you but not a tranierbattle script?

JPAN

pokemon rom researcher
Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2016
Oh,this is really the best Chistmas gift for me,thank you,JPAN!
I think I'll devote myself how to use the new features several days.
By the way,is it possible to make a script while a trainer sees you but not a tranierbattle script?
While I am working on it, it wasn't ready for christmas release, so I decided to include it on next release. Curiously enough, another of the "tile specials", that finds if a person is looking at a given location in the map, at a distance set by the view radius (that would allow you to replace the trainer scripts for one single walking script) was also not finished in time. But don't worry, for next release should solve the "patching erase my work" problem.

Sierraffinity

Years
I am trying to fix a few bugs I accidentally made in my game. I would like to see where the dada overwrites the main engine for a few of them, but it never says what or where you have to patch any of the specials to point to your code.

Years
  • Seen Jul 17, 2015
what i understand is that you now can add more pallettes sprites pokemon trainers
but how do we do that?

raupy

A Visual Basic programmer
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Feb 14, 2011
Argh, for english ROMs...

Please make it compatible for German ROMs!

This is a great work!

mfg
raupy

Quil

Me
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 1, 2010
Somehow to the patch ****s the dynamic OW 240.. When I encounter it in my screen the game crashes, and at a normal rom i see the basic player ow (nothing set)
This is the way I used the dynamicly generate trainers, but it bugs now :C fffuu

HackChu

I need a haircut...
Years
This is nice but I don't know how to use it and the doc that this came with comes up with a error saying that it can't do some conversion.

"Unable to load graphics conversion filter.Continue with document conversion?" was the error I get.

So when I hit yes it keeps coming up until I press no, please help...

0m3GA ARS3NAL

Im comin' home...
Years
This is nice but I don't know how to use it and the doc that this came with comes up with a error saying that it can't do some conversion.

"Unable to load graphics conversion filter.Continue with document conversion?" was the error I get.

So when I hit yes it keeps coming up until I press no, please help...

Yeah, the file is a Word File, you'll need to install Microsoft Word, or Open Office (Open Office is free)
Google is your friend.

Years
It's not explained I dont think for your multichoice boxes on how to lead the script somewhere else after clicking on one of the options. Where would I put the

if 0x1 goto @XXXXX

Or something else for each choice ? I need it desperatly and if I get help on how to do this then I could use the hacked engine in the way I wish and it';s a big help already! Thanks.

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
Years
It's not explained I dont think for your multichoice boxes on how to lead the script somewhere else after clicking on one of the options. Where would I put the

if 0x1 goto @XXXXX

Or something else for each choice ? I need it desperatly and if I get help on how to do this then I could use the hacked engine in the way I wish and it';s a big help already! Thanks.

Code:
setvar 0x8006 0x0 
loadpointer 0x0 @firstchoice 'your first multichoice text
special 0x25
setvar 0x8006 0x1
loadpointer 0x0 @secondchoice 'your second multichoice text
special 0x25
multichoice 0x0 0x0 0x20 0x0 'the two 0's, and then the position x and y
compare LASTRESULT 0x0 'if 1st choice goto
if 0x1 goto @firstchosen
compare LASTRESULT 0x1 'if 2nd choice goto
if 0x1 goto @secondchosen
compare LASTRESULT 0x7F 'if B was pressed goto
if 0x1 goto @Bpressed
^short example for you, includes somewhere to go if B was pressed.

My question is regarding the walking scripts. I'm not sure how to compile them. Do I compile a call command to my walking script at 0x1a4e2c? But then what do I do with var 0x407e? I'm just generally confused with this one. I'm trying to do the secondary "bag" thing suggested in the readme for a pseudo-PokeGear-like thingy. By pressing both L+R to activate it. I just don't know how to go about doing it.

JPAN

pokemon rom researcher
Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2016
My question is regarding the walking scripts. I'm not sure how to compile them. Do I compile a call command to my walking script at 0x1a4e2c?
Compiling a script to work with the walking scripts is the same as compiling it to work anywhere else. just put it on the ROM somewhere. Afterwards, change the 0s at 0x1a4e2c to the pointer to the script location.
But then what do I do with var 0x407e?
Var 0x407e is the activate this script variable. If you want the script you just placed at 0x1a4e2c to be active, you must set the variable to 1, in the normal variable-setting fashion. Otherwise it won't run.
I'm trying to do the secondary "bag" thing suggested in the readme for a pseudo-PokeGear-like thingy. By pressing both L+R to activate it. I just don't know how to go about doing it.
In here, just do it like if you were about to create a simple talk-to script that did that. So, my guess is that it would have a key check followed by a call if true to the script of the said function. Just don't forget about the small detail about the wild battles, as that script sounds like the kind that never turns off, and to set the help option off, as it will always activate before the script.

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
Years
Thanks JPAN! You really cleared a lot up for me. And thank god you reminded me about the wildpokemon bit, I would've been poking around forever before I realized what I missed. ^_^

Oh, and I have a quick suggestion for the next release. I'm not actually sure if this is possible now, because I haven't fiddled around with it, but how about the ability to disable key presses? During timed minigames and such, having the player able to use the start menu wouldn't be the greatest thing ever. And perhaps disabling some things on the start menu itself. Sometimes we wouldn't want the player to save, (such as that "Erase Party Pokemon Special" that would wipe the Pokemon out of memory between saves), use the bag, or look at their Trainer Card. I also wouldn't mind a special that would disable and enable the Help Menu itself. It just seems cumbersome and annoying.

Thanks again for your help JPAN, and great work!

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
Oh, and I have a quick suggestion for the next release. I'm not actually sure if this is possible now, because I haven't fiddled around with it, but how about the ability to disable key presses? During timed minigames and such, having the player able to use the start menu wouldn't be the greatest thing ever. And perhaps disabling some things on the start menu itself. Sometimes we wouldn't want the player to save, (such as that "Erase Party Pokemon Special" that would wipe the Pokemon out of memory between saves), use the bag, or look at their Trainer Card. I also wouldn't mind a special that would disable and enable the Help Menu itself. It just seems cumbersome and annoying.

I second this. Though I don't think I, personally, would have much use for disabling the entire menu, it might be nice to be able to disable certain functions like the Bag. Actually, I think the Bag is disabled in one of the Battle Frontier zones in Emerald so maybe we could take a look at some of those specials and try to port them to Fire Red.

Also, when you mention the "help menu" do you mean the menu that pops up when the player presses 'L' or 'R'? Because the player can choose to disable that menu in the Options tab from the Start Menu so if we could locate where the Options (text speed, text box type, etc.) are stored in the RAM, we could probably override the player's settings temporarily to disable the Help Menu.

Back