• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

WiFi Shutdown May 20th

Ruhn

Breeder
Years

In previous generations you could use pokecheck to check if the Pokemon were hacked. In X&Y so far we can only hack check the Pokemon with the Kalos pentagon. Hopefully when pokecheck is updated for X&Y we can then use it like we have in previous generations.

Cloning is a problem when related to hacking. You could clone a hack and trade it around which has happened here and it's frustrating hunting them all down. As for cloning itself, there is a drawback because the trade value of Pokemon goes way down when you basically have an unlimited supply of them. But then you have generous people who can clone and they give away everything to others who can't. Cloning is not hacking and so cloning is allowed here.

well yeah. i am sceptical about cloning. but i wouldn't got the event legendaries without knowing someone who can clone though. but for the rest of the pokemon i don't really want clones. besides clones are not that expensive than normal shiny or event pokemon though, i want them to only exist once if possible.

shayminskyforme88

Collecting Events
Years
Really sad about the shutdown. My favourite Pokemon game would still be HGSS and it would be really sad to see the wifi features go. Aside from that, I could no longer download breeding parents from Pokecheck.

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Apr 14, 2018
So sad, I basically lived off Nintendo's WFC, and for nearly all my games!!!
Oh well, at least now I have an excuse to spend $6.95 on renewing my Pokébank subscription.

Tek

Years
Is anyone familiar with the Poke Creator app? I use it mainly to create clones of pokemon I've raised on emulators, but one time I accidentally did wifi battles on Poke Creator's server. I haven't tested it yet, but I assume you can also do regular trades on that server. I don't expect that they will shut down just because Nintendo closes down its servers.

EDIT: in fact, they're probably getting ready for a flood of new customers right now. Plenty of money to be made for them come May 20.

Griffinbane

I hate Smeargle.
Years
No Adrian, it's the server handling the wifi that's getting shut down.

Tek, if the server requires your DS to get onto wifi, whether you change your DNS or not, it's going to get affected no matter what. That's why we're going to lose gen 4 and gen 5 Pokecheck, because they both rely on Nintendo's server before redirecting it to their own.

Cilicica

Ghost Type Lover ~~
Years
I'm very disappointed with this. Especially for my Pokémon Black/Black 2 versions.
I have boxes and boxes full of lvl 50's that I traded for and trained and I used them for random matchup and more trading. Now they'll pretty much be useless.
Sure, I can transfer them to my X game but then I'd feel like my older games are really nothing; they'd have no value and I'd really have no reason to play with them. It just feels like a waste, imo. (which is why I still have my Sinnoh legends in Platinum... so it feels valuable)
I don't mind Wi-Fi going away in Platinum & HeartGold though because I hardly use it on those games... But my Gen V games... TT TT </3 ... Besides, I let my family use my games sometimes because they don't have their own DS's (mostly because they don't want them) and all they do is trade and battle with other people. Now they'll be bored too. ><

Tek

Years
Tek, if the server requires your DS to get onto wifi, whether you change your DNS or not, it's going to get affected no matter what. That's why we're going to lose gen 4 and gen 5 Pokecheck, because they both rely on Nintendo's server before redirecting it to their own.

Where does that information come from? I've been googling for nearly an hour. Some folks say fake GTS' will still work, others say it won't, but no one provides any solid evidence.

It seems to me that if the system had to connect to the legit server, and then get redirected, Nintendo should have been able to kill the pokecheck and whatever else by preventing redirection. Note: I am not an expert in online networking.

Griffinbane

I hate Smeargle.
Years
tbh, I don't think Nintendo really cares about Pokecheck and all the other fake GTS, mainly because it's fan-made and it doesn't impact their final line. Secondly, they have a LOT of games to deal with. Putting aside resources to deal with fake-GTS doesn't really make sense on the financial view. That's more in Gamefreak's area since it's their game and since Gamefreak doesn't have access to Nintendo's wifi servers... at least, I don't think they do.

Anyhoo, it's mainly because everytime Nintendo's wifi services crash or is in downtime, we can't access the fake-GTS. There was like 3 really rough periods I can recall sometime back when just about everyone was getting booted off wifi and couldn't connect with each other in trades.

Fernbutter

Murder is the way.
Years
Hmm, well what happens next exactly depends mostly on the players.

P.S. Dear Nintendo, if this isn't a late April Fools joke, I swear I'll go there myself and smack you one by one.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
Years
As far as I understand this... it doesn't affect me. I could never use the wifi on the other games anyway. When X came out, it made it much easier for me. So, I'm probably the only that doesn't seem so worried about it.

I just have one question... does this affect pokemon transporter for the Black/Black 2 and White/White 2 games? I'm just so confused...

Chr. Draco

Spatial Rift
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 11, 2024
I would really like the wifi servers to continue since you can trade in the 4th and 5th gen games and also play online with other games, but i guess we will have to get used to only local gameplay from that day on.

Years
While this is indeed sad news, we'll still have the games to play on our own. I already have two completed Pokédexes in there (Platinum and White 2), but I still don't plan on erasing my main White 2 anytime soon. White I dropped, but Platinum and White 2 can stay for me. I never really battled competitively and did do some Wi-Fi trading on Serebii early last year, but yeah. Too bad my DSi (which my White 2 is integrated with) I haven't connected to my college's Wi-Fi.

White Raven

Working on The Mysterious Meteorite
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Sep 1, 2015
its the games that'll shut down. not the ds units themselves.

Wut. Please elaborate. if there is no wifi on the DS, you can't play the games online, like battling with long distance friends.

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
Years
Wut. Please elaborate. if there is no wifi on the DS, you can't play the games online, like battling with long distance friends.

They arent disabling the internet capabilities of the DS systems. They are removing the servers that support the DS games. You are able to get on internet

White Raven

Working on The Mysterious Meteorite
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Sep 1, 2015
They arent disabling the internet capabilities of the DS systems. They are removing the servers that support the DS games. You are able to get on internet

I only play games on the internet with my DS. i don't surf the internet

Griffinbane

I hate Smeargle.
Years
Adrian... They are shutting Wifi servers down COMPLETELY. Guess what you use to get onto the internet? Wifi. Meaning that dies too.

EVERY PROGRAM ON THE DS WILL BE SELF-CONTAINED WITHIN ITSELF. No wifi. No trade or play other than local. No internet. None of that stuff. Pretend your DS or your game is inside a box. Nothing leaves that box. You can put stuff IN that box and they will interact with each other. But they will not interact with anything outside that box. Right now, that box is not there. We can play on wifi. Once May hits, that box will be there. Only stuff inside that box will be able to play with other stuff placed in that box.

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
Years
Adrian... They are shutting Wifi servers down COMPLETELY. Guess what you use to get onto the internet? Wifi. Meaning that dies too.

EVERY PROGRAM ON THE DS WILL BE SELF-CONTAINED WITHIN ITSELF. No wifi. No trade or play other than local. No internet. None of that stuff. Pretend your DS or your game is inside a box. Nothing leaves that box. You can put stuff IN that box and they will interact with each other. But they will not interact with anything outside that box. Right now, that box is not there. We can play on wifi. Once May hits, that box will be there. Only stuff inside that box will be able to play with other stuff placed in that box.

Oh. well doesnt affect me. I have a 3ds personally, but I feel for DS users

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 2, 2016
To better explain this, ALL non3DS games will not work on wifi. Only 3DS games will be able to connect to wifi after May 20th. So even using DS games on a 3DS will not work. The servers for all DS games are being shut down, meaning no wifi at all. Having a 3DS means nothing since you still won't have a server to play on.

Back