• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Staff Feedback Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
It's typical Audy. He likes to acknowledge the awesomeness of his pair Sylphiel by doing the cows thing on her birthday, as a reference to her original username Cowrie.

Honoring someone for their birthday is one thing, annoying the crap out of members with cows is another. It's something that shouldn't be done under any circumstances. You shouldn't force anyone to notice a member's birthday if they don't even know that person. 'It's Typical Audy' isn't an excuse.

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 5, 2023
I'm know everyone here is really going to hate me on this, but why does a staff member get a special birthday thing with cows and us normal members don't? That is exactly what I was trying to point out! That staff can do this and us normal members don't mean crap... I mean come on! I understand it is their birthday, and I'm happy for them, but equality for everyone here SHOULD be a must not just this higher staff is showered in Cows/Sheep/Roses etc. I know everyone I going to hate me, but right now I'm looking out for me and every normal members futures on this site and which staff member did this you just proved me right. No personal vendettas.
I agree with you. These cows are not just a nuisance (I had to get rid of them with Ad Block), but they also will leave a lot of people confused and feeling left out because of some injoke they don't know about. Having your own injokes are one thing; shoving them in everyone's face in a kind of obnoxious way is another. It doesn't feel inclusive and makes the staff feel like this weird clique.

It isn't my intent to offend anyone either though. I think it's nice to celebrate your friend's birthday. But I don't really know your friend or the significance of these cows. And I'm sure the majority of people here don't either. So we're just going to see it as some floating annoyances that prevent us from using the site properly. Or something that makes us feel upset and confused because we're not in on the joke.

Also, I know you may not think it's a big deal. And in the grand scheme of things, it isn't. Even if I honestly find it rather annoying. But I want to let you know that I don't think it is appropriate to make using the site more difficult (particularly on mobile devices) for the sake of a joke.

Years
What I do know is that most member birthdays never shower people with cows. Heck, I may be one of the biggest Oshawott fans on this forum but at least all I need is cute fanart and gifs, and not an entire special effect dedicated to it.

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Apr 17, 2024
Are you trying to say that us normal members don't matter?! Well you don't understand because your liked by everyone...

oh darling
trust me when i say i am far from being pc's most beloved member

i'm saying that this whole thing isn't that serious
just switch themes for a bit or, y'know, spend time off the site and not worry about self-perceived Pokécommunity Social Politics
it's really not something to get worked up over - someone did something for their friend that has literally no binding effect and not only can be easily avoided, doesn't mean squat

Klippy

L E G E N D of
Years
Firstly, I want to say that I haven't seen these cows at all, so I have no opinion as to their level of annoyance. I certainly see that people don't like them and I'll let an admin know immediately that people aren't enjoying their presence. It was done as a lighthearted thing for fun and to celebrate a dedicated member of staff's birthday. It wasn't done to intentionally irritate anyone or upset anyone. I'd like to ask people to stop utilizing Sylphiel's birthday thread to provide feedback on this issue as that thread is not the place for such posts.

I do apologize if the cows have resulted in difficulty using the site and, as I said, I'll see about getting an admin to remove them.

Are you trying to say that us normal members don't matter?! Well you don't understand because your liked by everyone...

It seems like you have a personal issue with the staff and supporters, rather than an actual grievance with something staff and supporters are doing. Harley Quinn hardly suggested anything of the sort and yet you've somehow arrived at the conclusion that "normal members don't matter". I suggest you re-evaluate your position and your attitude, because that seems to be the problem more than anything any supporter or member of staff has done. Your feedback is mostly accusatory and yet you're providing no constructive examples of people abusing members or non-supporters. If you have a legitimate concern with a staff member's behavior (or a member's behavior), report it OR privately message a member of higher staff.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jan 16, 2017

As a normal member (and have been since my old 2009 account) I'm pretty sure most of the community will agree that every normal members are just as important part of the community as any other supporter or staff is...

Sure popularity is one thing that exists at PC especially it being one of the bigger forums. At the end of the day everyone here is just another person sitting on their computer contributing to the forum. Go talk to people, go post and make friends, go join more events like GT. Just because you're a supporter or staff doesn't automatically give you automatic access to putting everyone on your friendslist. Gotta make the effort...

Years
Floating Lettuce is right, sometimes you may need to make a bit more effort to make friends. I did become quite a popular person myself in a short bit of time, but I don't let it get to my head, because all I do is just focus on the discussion and the fun side of it.

Melody

Banned
Years
In the same vein; I've noticed a lot of times where members who are closer in friendship to members of staff are capable of getting more recognition, and very occasionally advancement much more readily. It's subtle though. This applies not only to forum things; but to places like the battle server as well. It's never been denied that human nature allows such groups to form though.

As is regarding event emblems; I do notice sometimes those are sometimes delayed in awarding. Whether there's often a good explaination for that or not; I won't ask, I'll simply trust that there is. There are a few instances where I participated in events, in the past, and never received an emblem for them; despite being present for the event.

Lastly I noticed that there was some significant delay in some of my previous private communications with H-Staff. To the point I feel like my issue was not handled properly or fairly at all.

Years
i'm saying that this whole thing isn't that serious
just switch themes for a bit or, y'know, spend time off the site and not worry about self-perceived Pokécommunity Social Politics
it's really not something to get worked up over - someone did something for their friend that has literally no binding effect and not only can be easily avoided, doesn't mean squat

If people are complaining about something like this, it's a problem. Something that is for the only purpose for one single member, that affects everyone? That's not a good thing. It's selfish and gives other members a sense of not fitting in.

The current friendship that exists between current members will stay the same regardless of what you do. But newer members will not want to be a part of a community that does this sort of thing for a single member.

Anyways, the cows are going to be gone now. But hopefully the same mistake will not be made again.

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Apr 17, 2024
If people are complaining about something like this, it's a problem. Something that is for the only purpose for one single member, that affects everyone? That's not a good thing. It's selfish and gives other members a sense of not fitting in.

The current friendship that exists between current members will stay the same regardless of what you do. But newer members will not want to be a part of a community that does this sort of thing for a single member.

Anyways, the cows are going to be gone now. But hopefully the same mistake will not be made again.

i suppose i'm just not getting the apparent severity of this event

Klippy

L E G E N D of
Years
The forum's staff (and by extension: SMT, Daily, and BSS) aim to treat every member equally with value and respect regardless of status, moneys donated, or rank. If you feel a member of any staff rank is behaving inappropriately, report it immediately to a member of higher staff (smod or admin). If you don't feel comfortable reporting it to one of them, Rukario is your next solution.

We take reports of staff abuse seriously and look into it thoroughly.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback about the cows. I've directly contacted the admins and we'll get it handled as soon as possible.

Once again: please don't provide feedback about the cows in a birthday thread. Appreciate it!

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
As is regarding event emblems; I do notice sometimes those are sometimes delayed in awarding. Whether there's often a good explaination for that or not; I won't ask, I'll simply trust that there is. There are a few instances where I participated in events, in the past, and never received an emblem for them; despite being present for the event.

Oh dear. I handed out some emblems this week that were a bit delayed. If something like this happens give the mod responsible for the contest (or whoever is running it) a little nudge as emblems have to be given to admins to upload and then given out, which sometimes takes a few days.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
Okay, so. I'd just like to offer a little perspective here. While I'll let him speak for himself (if he feels that he needs to - and honestly, I don't think that he has anything further to answer for since the only issue with this has already been well-identified), this was just an Audyism. I am certain that he in no way meant to demean regular members or anyone else. This was just something cool for his friend. It was a bit of an intrusive way of going about it but that's all.

When you're an admin, you've got access to a ton of little tools and plugins which you can use to customise aspects of how PC works in ways which aren't achievable through the normal means. And honestly, it's nice to use these to make PC work in a different way for you or your friends or whoever sometimes. Contrary to what it might seem given that we have the buttons for everything at our disposal, there aren't very many upsides of being an administrator compared to other levels of staff (excluding the discussion involvement), and particularly not when compared to super moderators. Despite this, the comparative workload is far higher in my experience so sometimes we like to just have a bit fun with the powers that we've got because it's not all that often that we get the chance to do things like this. Now, as I said before, I think that the, uh, implementation of... these flying cows was a little intrusive (never thought I'd say that sentence), but certainly I don't think there was anything more to it than Audy wanting to have some fun on his friend's birthday and using his admin tools to do that because they're at his disposal.

Honestly, I'd draw some parallels between this and anybody on the forum having fun with any of their friends. The key difference here is that the implementation was pretty intrusive, which I'll admit, but aside from that there's really nothing more to it. Audy was simply using the tools that he's able to use to celebrate, the same way as one of you might make a birthday thread for someone full of inside jokes (which happens all the time, or at least, did happen all the time last I read through Celebrations). Just because he's a staff admin doesn't automatically make this bias against non-staff and just because Audy used his admin powers to do this doesn't make it power abuse. I feel like this is being taken as some sort of slight against the members or some deliberate glorification of one of our staff, which is not the case at all; take it at face value and you'll see that all it is was one person celebrating another with no ill intentions. This does not exclude anybody indirectly, either, since people make inside jokes all the time with their friends / friend groups. This is not really all that different.

tl;dr, It was a bit over-the-top because it covered the entire forum, and that's the only thing that I think is wrong here. Aside from that, I don't think it's such a crime for an administrator to do something using their abilities for one of their friends, and I don't think that the conclusion that this was done to exclude anybody is sound - nor is suggesting that it excludes anybody unintentionally. It's just someone having a little fun and going slightly over the top and certainly, that's all I'm going to be taking away from this.

Klippy

L E G E N D of
Years
I know we've been talking on Skype about this a bit (this is more for everyone else), but for any area of the forum, the decision to promote someone to moderator is something the higher staff do not rush and do not take lightly. We try to look at candidates and potential promotions thoroughly before we jump to promoting them. Being a moderator here is a position of authority and a certain seriousness, so we take our promotion process seriously as a result. Specifically the UG has had some staffing changes recently, but still possesses the presence of myself and Mana, as well as a slew of other mods and staff (aeternum, Omicron, Sopheria, Wicked3DS, and Universe to name a few), on top of gimmepie himself. It's a highly moderated area due to the volatile nature of the games and there are always plans in the works for new events!

Specifically in regards to mods working on multiple areas: we often allow them this choice if we need moderators. It's not forced on them. So anyone you see with multiple areas has either 1) asked/volunteered for them, 2) been offered them. They hopefully only take on that amount of work they feel they can handle!

We try to work with the mods to find them suitable partners when needed/desired and they are always free to submit names that they feel would be good working with. :)

Years
As I said on skype: The point was that I've seen rejection towards the idea of having a new mod when there was a clear need for one. Even if the process is taken seriously, there's nothing wrong with acknowledging that there's a need for one; the longer it takes to acknowledge that, the longer the process will be.

That was the point: mods should acknowledge the need for a new moderator and don't let a section die.

This reminds me how sorry I feel for the Fifth Gen section at the moment, given how often it's been gaining and losing mods over what has been nearly a two year-long period, and while I understand sections related to older Pokemon games have a tendency to suffer "dead" phases, I always know that there's always something that will rise them up from the ground.

You have definitely said some wise words, scouting for a new mod should not take as long as one think it should be. And when it comes to busier sections, it never hurts to look for potential partners as well.

Klippy

L E G E N D of
Years
I even contacted the h-staff when the mods weren't available and they heard me out and said that they should consult with the mod of the section, which is understandable, because that's the mod's job.

I would hope nobody would leave a recommendation to you at that information alone. If you've attempted to contact a moderator and received no feedback/no response and referred it to h-staff, we should be looking further into the issue and not sending you back in a circle. An instance I can see of us asking you to contact the mods again is if it's specific to a section's operations that require the mod alone to handle - but h-staff should still be poking the mod (if there's no reason we can see for their unavailability) to get them involved. You should receive some resolution at the very least.

If you want to PM/IM me (if this specific issue is relevant still), we can see what the issue is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back